Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Is there any indication yet whether the anime will follow the manga and the second half will be Survey Corps vs Female Titan? Figured this was a better thread to ask than the other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Elotana posted:

Is there any indication yet whether the anime will follow the manga and the second half will be Survey Corps vs Female Titan? Figured this was a better thread to ask than the other one.

It's seemed pretty obvious that they're looking to end it somewhere around her capture.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
My take on the origin of the titans at this point is something along the lines of the bugs in blue gender for instance (I know other settings have done it but this is the first one that comes to mind) maybe just without the "earth resetting itself" thing. Basically experiments done on humans to make them better, stronger, faster, longer living, solar powered, etc. Then once tons of people had gotten the treatment, it all went horribly wrong, the treatment becomes infectious, causing it to mutate further and the world ends up the state it is in now. I could also see them having had some kind of specific post treatment that prevented the titan transformation, then the technology being stolen without it and it falling apart from there. Blue Gender probably isn't the best comparison, but it's all I can think of at the moment.

And on the mass of titans being really wonky, I would imagine the transformation vacuuming up CO2 and moisture from the air in a large area around the person to create the mass needed.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I hope Isayama never, never, ever explains the origins of the titans. I'm sure he could come up with something cool but there's nothing that could be as rad as the mystery.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SANJOU, KYOJIN TOKUSENTAI!

Rather amazed at how well they match up with their DBZ counterparts, in all honesty.

Soulcleaver posted:

I hope Isayama never, never, ever explains the origins of the titans. I'm sure he could come up with something cool but there's nothing that could be as rad as the mystery.
I'll admit, I feel the same way. The only way for Isayama to explain Titan origins is to do it in such a unconventional manner, much like how Reiner and Bert revealed themselves. Granted, with the mystery explained, it'd take a little away from the whole atmosphere the Titans embody. Let's just hope it's not a silly bullshit cop-out type of reveal, should it ever happen. That's the last thing I want to see in this manga.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The titans are clearly fueled by topological defects and titan steam is made of TN particles. They actually weigh a lot but their bodies utilize those particles to partially negate their mass, allowing them to be huge, lighter than they look, and capable of regeneration.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If they were the evolution of some sort of construction tool that went terribly wrong and devolved into what they are now, that's about the best "explanation" I can think they could pull off. Weapons of war would be ho-hum. But Titans being used for menial purposes like building colossal structures very quickly and near-effortlessly, then dissolving into nothing once finished, seems like a perfectly good use for them. You know, before they went all mindless and devour-ey.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
i'm guessing it'd be possible we'd see the creation of titans in a modern lab setting (Just 100+ years back) because there are hints of this in what we've seen so far. ex: grisha being a biologist specialized with a knack for immunology, 3-d gear, the metallurgy techniques for creating the hardened swords, and just a bunch of other things you wouldn't see in a normal medieval capital. I'm just not certain of this because there doesn't seem to be anyone talking of the pre-titan era or what it was like.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I think it's pretty clear that the royal family/inner city is hiding some modern technology from the general populace, perhaps to keep them from being too good at titan-killing.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
drat it knew titans are humans. I just started reading again and just caught up. I think the creation/evolution of titans is something like:
Human > Titan > Deviant Titan > Warrior Titan (eg Eren). Eating humans while you're a mindless titan probably has something to do with your transformation. Maybe it's like Hollows in Bleach, a Menos is made from many Hollows.

Something I don't understand is why the Warrior Titans are at war with humanity? My guess is they're not at war with humanity per say, they're probably at war with the Royal Jackasses/Cult. Probably because they were enslaving the Titans (using them as building materials maybe? Borrowing from Captain Invictus here) for centuries before a revolt took place and humanity was pushed back. .

Overall, I love this manga. Can you buy it yet?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The ability to become a titan is obviously governed by the concentration of midichlorians in your bloodstream

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Suspicious Lump posted:

drat it knew titans are humans. I just started reading again and just caught up. I think the creation/evolution of titans is something like:
Human > Titan > Deviant Titan > Warrior Titan (eg Eren). Eating humans while you're a mindless titan probably has something to do with your transformation. Maybe it's like Hollows in Bleach, a Menos is made from many Hollows.

Something I don't understand is why the Warrior Titans are at war with humanity? My guess is they're not at war with humanity per say, they're probably at war with the Royal Jackasses/Cult. Probably because they were enslaving the Titans (using them as building materials maybe? Borrowing from Captain Invictus here) for centuries before a revolt took place and humanity was pushed back. .

Overall, I love this manga. Can you buy it yet?

You sure can! According to Amazon.com, it's released up to Volume 5 in English.

AnonSpore posted:

The ability to become a titan is obviously governed by the concentration of midichlorians in your bloodstream

And when undergoing transformation Titans gain extra mass by absorbing spiritrons from their surroundings.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Captain Invictus posted:

If they were the evolution of some sort of construction tool that went terribly wrong and devolved into what they are now, that's about the best "explanation" I can think they could pull off. Weapons of war would be ho-hum. But Titans being used for menial purposes like building colossal structures very quickly and near-effortlessly, then dissolving into nothing once finished, seems like a perfectly good use for them. You know, before they went all mindless and devour-ey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uq9pp586AE

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AndroidHub posted:

My take on the origin of the titans at this point is something along the lines of the bugs in blue gender for instance (I know other settings have done it but this is the first one that comes to mind) maybe just without the "earth resetting itself" thing. Basically experiments done on humans to make them better, stronger, faster, longer living, solar powered, etc. Then once tons of people had gotten the treatment, it all went horribly wrong, the treatment becomes infectious, causing it to mutate further and the world ends up the state it is in now. I could also see them having had some kind of specific post treatment that prevented the titan transformation, then the technology being stolen without it and it falling apart from there. Blue Gender probably isn't the best comparison, but it's all I can think of at the moment.

And on the mass of titans being really wonky, I would imagine the transformation vacuuming up CO2 and moisture from the air in a large area around the person to create the mass needed.

Since we haven't been given reason to think otherwise, I don't think that humans in the world of Attack on Titan ever advanced much beyond where they are currently technologically. They specifically mentioned people using cannons against the initial titan onslaught, so I don't think that any scenario that imagines a significantly more modern past is accurate.

Also, regarding the mass they've specifically mentioned that titan body parts are lighter than you would expect, so I imagine that implies some degree of conservation (though obviously it can't be full conservation since titans are still able to smash things).

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxOpp_00t5k

OP2 for your viewing pleasure. It shows some new characters and flashes of things to come so spoilers, click at your own risk.

EDIT: Wait, this isn't the anime thread! Either way it's a cool op.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ouch, the shot of Annie titan doing her fighting stance is quite spoilery. It's only there for a moment, but still.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

RatHat posted:

Ouch, the shot of Annie titan doing her fighting stance is quite spoilery. It's only there for a moment, but still.

I guess it won't be too bad since she's completely silhouetted except her blue eyes.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm late to the conservation of mass and becoming a titan party: It should be clearly obvious to even the most casual observer that titans gain what mass they have from Z-Space.

Here are some references to modern, scientific literature regarding said Z-Space:
Animorphs Wiki Z-Space
Another Highly Touted Source

The titans are likely "lighter than expected" to deal somewhat with the Square Cube Law. The titans are conveniently heavy enough to do massive damage to normal humans and buildings, but light enough to actually move at decent speeds and catch said humans for eating.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010

Azzents posted:

OP2 for your viewing pleasure. It shows some new characters and flashes of things to come so spoilers, click at your own risk.

Oh yes! It begins :unsmigghh:. I noticed Eren and Annie fighting in the city towards the end of the OP, seems the show will be ending near the wall reveal cliffhanger. I predict "Wall Rose has been breached".

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

It's seemed pretty obvious that they're looking to end it somewhere around her capture.
I wouldn't be surprised if the last episode ended with Annie's capture and Mikasa seeing the titan inside the wall. If that didn't guarantee a second season, I can't imagine what would.

RatHat posted:

The anime thread people don't seem to have picked up on it yet. I guess it's one of those things that's only a spoiler if you know it is.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Yeah, there are only "spoilers" for those who have already read the manga and know future events. Anime viewers might figure out that there's eventually gonna be a female-type titan from the silhouette but it's not like it has a closeup of Annie directly before panning to the titan or some other obvious reveal. It should be fine.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Soulcleaver posted:

Yeah, there are only "spoilers" for those who have already read the manga and know future events.
Yeah, once again, crying "spoilers" is more of a spoiler than the thing itself.

Like, I immediately recognized how they were emphasizing Annie in that shot of all the characters, but that's not going to be a big deal for anyone who doesn't know already.

And there's a female titan? Well, in like what, three or four episodes it's going to be pretty clear that there's a female titan antagonist for most of this half of the show. Not a big deal.

Calling for people to look out for spoilers is basically an invitation for them to dissect it. Not a good call. And you didn't need to cover your rear end- it's not your fault, even if the OP did have legit spoilers. Everyone's gonna see that poo poo anyway.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The ending is even more blatant for manga readers, check out who's on which side of the wall :laugh:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Elotana posted:

The ending is even more blatant for manga readers, check out who's on which side of the wall :laugh:
Hey, Christa's out there too, you know!

Err, though I guess Ymir just ate her in the manga so... she would be, I suppose.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The seamless transition between Berholdt and Reiner during the character montage was a little much.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

JethroMcB posted:

The seamless transition between Berholdt and Reiner during the character montage was a little much.

Not really. At this point in the show, we know they're good friends/titan survivors who came from the same village, if there are any seamless transitions between characters (not named Eren/Mikasa/Armin) it'd be them.

LightningKnight
Sep 20, 2012
I think the creators are intentionally loving with manga readers, showing a fuckton of images that are extremely heavy foreshadowing to those who know what's going to happen but are innocuous to viewers without that knowledge, and images that would be blatantly spoilerific if they weren't completely out of context. Kinda like the "firing squad in a box" scene in OP1. They're taunting those who know what's happening. Cheeky bastards.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

LightningKnight posted:

I think the creators are intentionally loving with manga readers, showing a fuckton of images that are extremely heavy foreshadowing to those who know what's going to happen but are innocuous to viewers without that knowledge, and images that would be blatantly spoilerific if they weren't completely out of context. Kinda like the "firing squad in a box" scene in OP1. They're taunting those who know what's happening. Cheeky bastards.

Also known as every anime OP in existence.

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
I've definitely noticed that any shot that frames Annie pretty much always has Reiner and Berthold either behind or off to the sides of her. It's definitely intentional, and rather amusing.

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

AndroidHub posted:

Titans were created to reverse climate change! The 'titan crystal' stuff is actually diamond created from the extra carbon.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I honestly think we may find that titans are a result of some kind of super drug that the humans had been in the process of either experimenting with or creating way back in the high-tech past. This kind of scenario is a fairly common sci-fi one, I think. You create a new "Eternal Life" or "Heal All Wounds" drug, and things go awry in a very bad way.

All the sudden, we have a very bad side effect of having many of those drugged turning into titans. Only a few are somehow able to revert back to their human selves, but with the after effect of having the "Heal All Wounds" ability still in play.

Meanwhile, all hell has broken loose as those few hundred or thousand test subject show initially took the drug and turned into titans destroyed almost all of humanity. Heck, maybe the titans who were able to keep their humanity were the ones who built those massive walls, etc?

This theory doesn't explain the ape-sasquatch-titan at all, though. I don't have a good answer for that except he appears to be 1) able to think like a human in his titan form, and 2) not care at all about humans (he was pretty brutal). Maybe he's just an anomaly. Somehow, though, I think his existence is a key to the mystery of titans overall.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On the topic of how many Colossal Titans you need to build a wall, let's not forget that we don't have any hard numbers on how far a trained pilot can extend their crystalline 'skin'. That could throw things off a bit.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I wanna say its aliens based on the Ape Titan's curiosity with Humans.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I think that there's two origins for Titans. The "original" titans, like the Ape Titan, are invaders from outer space, or from an alternate dimension of some sort. And then there's "human-created titans" like Eren and the like, who were developed sometime after the original titans appeared, possibly based on original titan DNA, as a way of combating or controlling "titanification".

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Capskye posted:

I've definitely noticed that any shot that frames Annie pretty much always has Reiner and Berthold either behind or off to the sides of her. It's definitely intentional, and rather amusing.
And in the shot where Eren is thinking about what his squadmates are doing while he's in jail, Bert looks really interested in Annie cooking, which takes on a new significance now that we know that Bert has a thing for her.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
That guy looked like Marco to me.

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

Dan7el posted:

This theory doesn't explain the ape-sasquatch-titan at all, though. I don't have a good answer for that except he appears to be 1) able to think like a human in his titan form, and 2) not care at all about humans (he was pretty brutal). Maybe he's just an anomaly. Somehow, though, I think his existence is a key to the mystery of titans overall.

Going by this theory, I don't think it's too much of a stretch that they would have tested the Titanification process on apes before humans.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Baofu posted:

Going by this theory, I don't think it's too much of a stretch that they would have tested the Titanification process on apes before humans.

That's pretty interesting. Maybe Sasquach is some sort of really, really old experiment and spreads the Titan stuff like some sort of disease (since apes can transmit all kinds of diseases to humans). But for some reason, he's super-intelligent while the humans around him seem to be below ape level. It might also explain why he's so... "weird", e.g. speaking the language but not understanding the technology, stopping to seemingly impulsively throw a rock at the tower before leaving. And maybe this has something to do with why Bert and Reiner have to catch him.

Culinary Bears fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 14, 2013

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Baofu posted:

This is basically what I thought about it. Since it seems likely that the ape-titan has the ability to titanify other humans, it's possible that it was patient zero for this infection. Assuming the people doing the experiment were not expecting it to turn into a skyscraper-sized infinitely regenerating monstrosity they might not have been able to stop it before it made a bunch of other titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Goddamn posted:

That's pretty interesting. Maybe Sasquach is some sort of really, really old experiment and spreads the Titan stuff like some sort of disease (since apes can transmit all kinds of diseases to humans).

Titanification is an STD.