Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I moved all my stuff from Google to Apple back in the me.com days. It works fine. I don't really miss Google at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
The only reason I keep my contacts in Google is for use in Gmail. If you don't use Gmail then I see no reason not to move your stuff to iCloud.

edit: I don't necessarily think there's any benefit to moving it to iCloud, aside from having everything in one place though.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lexicon posted:

And it's not really like there's an advantage to having all those centralized at Google - GCal feels increasingly neglected these days.
This is essentially why I gave up on Google and moved to iCloud a while back. It was getting too difficult to keep iCal on the Mac synced without throwing up errors all over the place, and I realised I almost never use my contacts or calendar via the web interface anyway, so the two services end up being pretty much equivalent for me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah random sync issues/limitations for the calendar just got too annoying for me, and they didn't support CardDAV before so contacts were a no brainer for me. It does get annoying if I use the Gmail website on a computer and an address isn't there, but that's rare, and worst case I can still just pull out my phone to look for a contact.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to disable links to iOS apps from opening iTunes? I really hate that. I noticed sometimes links in the iOS apps/games thread takes me to a website and some of them directly open iTunes. I'd really just like the former all the time.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

DarkJC posted:

The only reason I keep my contacts in Google is for use in Gmail. If you don't use Gmail then I see no reason not to move your stuff to iCloud.

edit: I don't necessarily think there's any benefit to moving it to iCloud, aside from having everything in one place though.

iCloud is iOS and Mac only, which makes it useless for my use case. I use linux, Windows and Macs at work, and an Android phone. At least Google's stuff is cross platform via standards (for now).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am fairly sure that iCloud stuff is standards based as well. I had my iCloud info synced to my iPhone 3G which didn't natively support any of that stuff by using CalDAV, CardDAV and IMAP, but to be honest it's been a long time since I touched my iPhone 3G so I can't verify how it all worked. It'll work on other platforms but it won't be as straightforward to get info and support as with Google's offerings so that's really why I never fully switched to Apple's service.

I'm a big fan of Apple, but when it comes to iCloud I don't really see the point in picking it over Google's services if you're actively trying to choose between the two on their own merits. That isn't to say that it's not a good option, but it's really a flip of the coin right now.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 11, 2013

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I switched to iCloud calendars and contacts because I own all apple products, even if my main email is Gmail. It works great, and integrates into iOS and OS X way better than google could.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Done - pulled the trigger on the switch to iCloud. The clincher was the utter silliness in getting Contacts to work on a new Mac I just got (application specific password for that amateurish setting in the Contacts app itself)

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

FlashBangBob posted:

I switched to iCloud calendars and contacts because I own all apple products, even if my main email is Gmail. It works great, and integrates into iOS and OS X way better than google could.

I did the same thing. The only reason I still use gmail for my main email is spam filtering, I don't have confidence that Apple's will catch as much as Google's will.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

wooger posted:

iCloud is iOS and Mac only, which makes it useless for my use case. I use linux, Windows and Macs at work, and an Android phone. At least Google's stuff is cross platform via standards (for now).

Just seconding what was mentioned earlier that iCloud Mail Contacts and Calendars are all accessible via the same standards. In fact, they supported CardDAV for Contacts before Google did.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

MacRumors says that OS X 10.8.5 will fix the flickering with Photoshop on MacBook Airs. Translation: they went to Intel and got someone to fix the drivers. Pretty inexcusable for a major hardware vendor.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Translation: they went to Intel and got someone to fix the drivers. Pretty inexcusable for a major hardware vendor.

Er, what? Graphics driver bugs happen and get fixed all the time, and more so when the hardware is new and the drivers are young. Not seeing where this outrage comes from. Sure, it'd be nice if all software shipped bug free 1.0 versions, but we live in the real world.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

BobHoward posted:

Er, what? Graphics driver bugs happen and get fixed all the time, and more so when the hardware is new and the drivers are young. Not seeing where this outrage comes from. Sure, it'd be nice if all software shipped bug free 1.0 versions, but we live in the real world.
eh, I do a bit of GLSL and I can tell you that Intel isn't the best when it comes to implementing OpenGL drivers. I've had many situations where integrated Intel video cards would produce unique and wrong results when compared to every other bit of test hardware. Granted, that was usually in the case when I did something wrong :v: but it's still kind of a bummer that integrated Intel video can't elegantly handle problems like most NVidia and ATI cards/drivers that I've tried.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, and also a lot of games and scientific 3D imaging packages for Macs explicitly state that they will run on Macs with nVidia or ATI chipsets, not the old bad Intel GMA 950s or X3100s.

The Intel OS X drivers for the GMA 950 and X3100 implement only just enough of the OpenGL standard so that the OS X desktop and Quartz Extreme environment can run without issues.

Intel also refused to write any new drivers for OS X since they abandoned the chip ages ago, which is part of the reason why Mountain Lion isn't supported on such machines.

I need to run OpenGL Extensions viewer on one of those newfangled Haswell MBA's and see if they really have 100% support for at least Open GL 3.2..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 12, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to disable links to iOS apps from opening iTunes? I really hate that. I noticed sometimes links in the iOS apps/games thread takes me to a website and some of them directly open iTunes. I'd really just like the former all the time.
Assuming Safari, NoMoreiTunes extension:
http://nomoreitunes.einserver.de/

echobucket posted:

I did the same thing. The only reason I still use gmail for my main email is spam filtering, I don't have confidence that Apple's will catch as much as Google's will.
I was going through my Gmail spam folder today and found that they managed to filter their own Google Apps email cause something like "spam tends to look like this" (vs phishing ones which use a different warning message), it's nice that they don't discriminate I guess :v:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Binary Badger posted:

I need to run OpenGL Extensions viewer on one of those newfangled Haswell MBA's and see if they really have 100% support for at least Open GL 3.2..

It says they do and the OpenGL 3.2/3 tests pass, but the 4.0+ tests don't run despite them also being reported as 100% supported.

e: on Mavericks, haven't tried 10.8.4 yet

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 12, 2013

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

japtor posted:

Assuming Safari, NoMoreiTunes extension:
http://nomoreitunes.einserver.de/

Will give it a try, thanks.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

The Intel OS X drivers for the GMA 950 and X3100 implement only just enough of the OpenGL standard so that the OS X desktop and Quartz Extreme environment can run without issues.

Intel also refused to write any new drivers for OS X since they abandoned the chip ages ago, which is part of the reason why Mountain Lion isn't supported on such machines.

Ok, ok, I get it. You hate Intel GPUs because you've been burned by their "hey we have a few square millimeters free on the north bridge chip, guess we'll throw in a token GPU" era (no joke, that was the actual design philosophy behind GMA 950 and X3100 and many others). Understandable. Not sure how much blame to put on Intel for the lack of ML support, though, since those GPUs are still supported in Windows 8. Our favorite fruit company might have a bit more to do with that decision than you think.

I was just surprised to see you that angry at Intel over a graphical glitch in early drivers for new hardware because it's hardly an Intel-specific thing. I've seen the same and worse (outright crashes) with ATI/AMD and NVidia so many times I've lost count.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I'm trying to plan out what word processing software to buy by figuring out what will best serve my needs.

I will be doing most of my work on my MacBook, but I want to be able to take my iPhone up with me when I go before the judge so I can refer to notes I've taken on my MacBook.

What is the best word processing program for compatibility and productivity between the MacBook and the iPhone?

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Stumpus posted:

What is the best word processing program for compatibility and productivity between the MacBook and the iPhone?

How much word processing ability do you actually need? At a certain level you may need Microsoft Word for advanced features whilst others simply just need to put text onto paper and something like iA Writer or the other dozen options works well in that case. I preferred to use Word in college and synced all my documents to Dropbox, giving me the ability to at least read them on my iPhone. If you want enhanced editing capabilities but don't need the advanced features of Word, you can just as easily use iA Writer (or whichever app) and iCloud between both devices and it will work seamlessly.

tl;dr: use dropbox/icloud and you'll be fine

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
You can print to PDF so basically anything you use might work. You can just load the PDF up on the phone before hand to check the formatting. But if you just want a list of notes and you are the only one seeing it then you could use anything... Notes app, text file, google docs, office365

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Thanks for the input. I've never owned a Mac before so I'm unfamiliar with everything.

My use would be looking at personal notes which I may have to edit to add info such as brief updates and further dates.

Which, of the many programs, would allow me to most quickly view notes between both?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Depends how simple or complex your notes are I guess. Like if it's all basic text the built in Notes app in iOS and OS X might be enough for you (among all the other plain text syncing apps as well). If you want to get fancier maybe consider Pages which will sync between the iOS and desktop app, particularly since this sounds like it'll be just for your personal stuff, which gets around the biggest annoyance with the iWork apps (dealing with importing/exporting other formats for use with others).

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Stumpus posted:

Apple's Pages for OS X and iOS thanks to iCloud synchronization.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

It's worth noting that the web based version of iWork is in beta right now.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

empty baggie posted:

It's worth noting that the web based version of iWork is in beta right now.

Speaking of which - Anyone have any idea what the strategic basis of the web version is? Not really like Apple to broaden the reach of its services to, well, Windows users I guess.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
You're going to need a iCloud account.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Lexicon posted:

Speaking of which - Anyone have any idea what the strategic basis of the web version is? Not really like Apple to broaden the reach of its services to, well, Windows users I guess.

No that is pretty much the goal here. You can get Microsoft Office for Mac, but you've never been able to get iWork on Windows. But Apple doesn't want to waste time developing a program that few people would pay for, so instead they're making a web app, and apparently a drat good one at that. It seems like Apple is capitalizing on Microsoft loving up Office and making it a subscription service that people people seem have a strong dislike for.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Lexicon posted:

Ben Thompson has touched on this sort of thing lately. Fundamentally, because Apple is a hardware company, they have no compunction with setting up their software as a loss-leader (e.g. Garage Band) to sell hardware. No doubt making iWork free across the board on OSX, iOS, and on the web is part of this strategy: "Buy an iPad," they'll say, "It doesn't matter if you have a Windows PC, because you can use a web-based thing that's better than Google Docs, and it will sync with more magic than you can shake a stick at".

Basically, they're jumping on this because a) Microsoft done hosed up, and continues to do gently caress up, and b) they don't want to cede this sort of thing to Google. And they can afford to give away iWork for free anyway, and it sells them more hardware.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

And to be honest, I'm kind of excited about iCloud versions of iWork. I'll have access to iWork stuff from literally any computer on earth, all synced to each other, with no hassle, and for the low low price of the hardware I already own and have owned for years. Plus, with all the testers claiming it works so smooth, to the point you'd think it was a native program, not a web app, this could really be a big hit to Google Docs.

Though realistically, thanks to Google forcing you to use every one of their services if you use one, the path of least resistance for most people will still be Google Docs, regardless of how well it works or not. I doubt iCloud iWork (theres got to be a better name for this) isn't gonna hurt Google Docs usage too much.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Isn't Google Docs still the only one that really supports concurrent editing, or did MS add that to Office? It would be nice to see that in iWork but I doubt most iWork users would get a chance to collaborate that way because it's not nearly as ubiquitous as GDocs.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Axiem posted:

Ben Thompson has touched on this sort of thing lately. Fundamentally, because Apple is a hardware company, they have no compunction with setting up their software as a loss-leader (e.g. Garage Band) to sell hardware. No doubt making iWork free across the board on OSX, iOS, and on the web is part of this strategy: "Buy an iPad," they'll say, "It doesn't matter if you have a Windows PC, because you can use a web-based thing that's better than Google Docs, and it will sync with more magic than you can shake a stick at".

Basically, they're jumping on this because a) Microsoft done hosed up, and continues to do gently caress up, and b) they don't want to cede this sort of thing to Google. And they can afford to give away iWork for free anyway, and it sells them more hardware.

That all totally explains them making cheap or even free versions of the apps. It's going to the effort to make a web version in addition that seems out of step with their usual MO.

(ps: everyone should read Ben Thompson's stuff. So great)

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Lexicon posted:

That all totally explains them making cheap or even free versions of the apps. It's going to the effort to make a web version in addition that seems out of step with their usual MO.

It seems very clearly to me to try to grab the people who are becoming disaffected with Windows/Office and/or Google Docs. I agree that it's a bit out of step for them, but I suspect they're starting to become more aggressive at tearing away the Windows/Office hegemony.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Axiem posted:

It seems very clearly to me to try to grab the people who are becoming disaffected with Windows/Office and/or Google Docs. I agree that it's a bit out of step for them, but I suspect they're starting to become more aggressive at tearing away the Windows/Office hegemony.

Yeah. That must be it I guess. An interesting chess move.

michelleke
Aug 10, 2002
Over the weekend I thought i'd finally upgrade from lion to mountain lion, so I repaired permissions and verified disk and found there was a bit of corruption, incorrect block counts and what not. So I attempted to use disk utility from recovery mode but it told me it wasn't going to happen and I should just erase and reinstall.
I have time machine backups and I have TechTool Pro 7. Is there any point in trying to repair the volume with TechTool, or should I just go ahead and erase and reinstall?

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Trying to access an SMB share from my machine running 10.8.4 is killing me.

The share shows up in Finder, but trying to connect gives me the error "This file server will not allow any additional users to log on. Try to connect again later." I can connect with no problems on Windows 7. Trying to mount the share in the Terminal gives me a "no route to host" error.

I've tried installing SMBUp but it doesn't help, I think it's more for hosting SMB shares from a Mac though, not for accessing SMB shares from a Mac which is my problem.

Anyone know what to do?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Been searching far and wide on the net with no clear answer --

Is there a favorited MySQL client out there?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

Sequel Pro!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

benisntfunny posted:

I use MySQL Workbench