Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
From now on every time somebody asks "who would do such a thing?" I'm gonna say "Canadian anarchists might."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Canadian anarchists, not quite as accomplished as Serbian anarchists.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Orange Devil posted:

They're almost as bad as radical Nova Scotian separatists.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
They are bad only if you believe Canada's so-called legitimate government. :colbert:

I am honestly surprised that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often, especially in the US during the Bush years. Trains and trucks pass through cities every day carrying everything from gasoline to spent nuclear fuel to Chlorine gas. We have been dodging bullets in a game of Russian roulette.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Slaan posted:

They are bad only if you believe Canada's so-called legitimate government. :colbert:

I am honestly surprised that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often, especially in the US during the Bush years. Trains and trucks pass through cities every day carrying everything from gasoline to spent nuclear fuel to Chlorine gas. We have been dodging bullets in a game of Russian roulette.

You mean Canadian roulette :colbert:

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

LowellDND posted:

You mean Canadian roulette :colbert:

You don't just risk your life, you risk an entire village every time you play. Truly the ballsiest game.

Seriously - those 30 missing people, most of them were likely vaporized - correct?

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Slaan posted:

It happens, it just rarely gets reported outside local news stations telling locals to stay the hell away. I can think of a couple incidences from when I lived in MI as well as my new home in PA. Can't remember if there was any loss of life on any counts, but one was a chlorine spill and I have a hard time imagining whoever was driving the truck got out of it alive.

Found this interesting site in my googling on it:
http://hazmat.globalincidentmap.com/home.php

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Orange Devil posted:

You say that, but when's the last time you've seen an Archduke in Canada?

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Xombie posted:

I'm still trying to decide if this is real or not. Printed in the Columbus Dispatch under the heading "Boom crowd was selfish and obnoxious", of all things. For context, Red White And Boom is an annual fireworks display that draws somewhere in the realm of 400,000 people to downtown Columbus.

You know, I had the same feelings this guy did on the 4th. I do get the frustration.

Mostly because I was trying to get to a friends house near where this one suburb near my place has it's fireworks display. But their street was so close to where they light them off that it was completely blocked off (I was not notified of this), and there were NO parking spaces for over a mile, and there were swarms of clueless pedestrians everywhere.

I think my quote to my passenger was "Jesus loving Christ, if I see another suburban dumbass who has no idea how to cross the street and looks like they haven't showered in a week wearing a Kid Rock 1998 World Tour T-Shirt, I'm going to loving run them down."

I at least had the sense to simply leave the neighborhood, skip the party, watch some of the fireworks from a Super Target parking lot a mile or two away while letting my panic/anger attack subside...and not to write my newspaper.

Though I am putting it on the internet, so...

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
One of my friends just posted this on Facebook unironically. He's in law school. :negative:

http://www.wnd.com/2013/07/black-racism-killed-trayvon-and-paula-deens-career/ posted:

Black racism killed Trayvon … and Paula Deen's career
Rachel Jeantel, the troubled young woman who was speaking on the phone to Trayvon Martin just before he was killed, testified in George Zimmerman’s second-degree murder trial that Martin called Zimmerman a “creepy a– cracka” before their violent confrontation.

I’ve been warning for the past 23 years that black racism is out-of-control – it appears black racism killed Trayvon Martin, and Paula Deen’s career!

Since the shooting of Martin, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and the NAACP (along with the liberal media) have done their best to portray Martin as an innocent kid tiptoeing through the tulips who just happened to be the victim of a racist white vigilante (even though Zimmerman is half Hispanic).

Blatant hostility and racism toward whites is common among black youth. Martin’s friend Rachel Jeantel admitted that where she comes from the term “cracka” is a common term used to describe whites.

Before his death, Martin was suspended from school; he was caught with a marijuana pipe; it was reported he had burglary tools in his locker; and it was recently revealed that pictures of marijuana plants and someone suspected to be Martin holding a gun were found on his cell phone. Does this sound like a well-adjusted teenager?

Trayvon Martin was the product of a broken home. He was also a victim of the corrupt civil-right leaders who peddle racism infecting the minds of young blacks. Martin’s parents (Tracy Martin and Sybrina Fulton) stood next to race hustlers and knowingly allowed this case to be framed as a race issue. As a result, supporters have taken to Twitter, threatening to kill Zimmerman and random white people if he gets off:

@HotTopicLys: f**k Don West. f*** George Zimmerman. I’ll kill both them n***as.
@StayFocus_Jones: ima kill a white person in self-defense if Zimmerman go free lol on everything.
@ZackSlaterExe: If they don’t kill Zimmerman Ima kill me a cracka.
@BE4L_Pervis: If Zimmerman win, I’m gonna kill a white kid by mistake.
All the threats and screams of racism from these thugs, as well as Sharpton and Jackson, have nothing to do with justice for Trayvon! Just as the uproar over celebrity chef Paula Deen’s use of the word “N–-er” decades ago has nothing to do with eradicating racism.

Deen has been excoriated after she admitted she had used that word in a deposition over a case accusing her of condoning an atmosphere of sexual harassment and racism in her businesses.

Paula Deen has apologized profusely to everybody and their mama! She released statements, videos and appeared on the “Today” show begging for forgiveness from blacks.

Jesse Jackson (of all people!) has said his organization plans to investigate the matter and that he will help the embattled chef overhaul her image. She didn’t owe an apology to all black people. Jesse Jackson is not the gatekeeper to black America, and she doesn’t need him to remake her image.

Since Paula’s admission, the Food Network, Wal-Mart, Caesars Entertainment, Smithfield Foods, Sears and diabetes drug maker Novo Nordisk are no longer doing business with her. This type of overreaction by majority white-owned companies is the height of cowardice.

Just as in the Zimmerman case, it’s time for people to take a stand against all forms of racial intimidation!

By apologizing to all blacks, Deen and her former sponsors are unwittingly sending the message that just the accusation alone is enough to get whites to cave. This only encourages vultures like Jackson and Sharpton to swoop in and exploit these incidents for personal gain.

Jackson claims he’s going to investigate Deen’s past use of a racial slur. Did anyone investigate his past use of racial slurs when he used the slur “hymie” and “hymietown” respectively when referring to Jews and New York City? Or when Jackson accused Barack Obama of “talking down to black folks” by lecturing them on moral issues?

If Jackson, Sharpton and the NAACP hadn’t jumped on the Trayvon Martin case and made it into a racial matter, nobody would have heard of it. His death would have gone unnoticed, just like the more than 500 black youths that were murdered in Chicago in black-on-black violence last year.

The attention on the Zimmerman trial is not about justice for Trayvon; it’s about intimidation and dividing the American people along race.

I hear from many white people that they’ve given up on trying to help or deal with blacks. If they hire blacks, they’re afraid to correct them because they may cry racism. God forbid if they have to lay off or fire a black employee – all hell might break loose! This is putting fear in white people because they can’t win either way.

Whites have to overcome the fear of being called “racist.” Blacks have to be on the side of good and stand for what is right, regardless of race. In order to conquer these racist black leaders, we must see clearly that the uproar in the Trayvon Martin and Paula cases is NOT about justice.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

Before his death, Martin was suspended from school; he was caught with a marijuana pipe; it was reported he had burglary tools in his locker; and it was recently revealed that pictures of marijuana plants and someone suspected to be Martin holding a gun were found on his cell phone. Does this sound like a well-adjusted teenager?

Yes.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

One of my friends just posted this on Facebook unironically. He's in law school. :negative:

^^^I was going to say that too. Sounds like every teenager

I love some of the wording if you read this closely: "troubled young woman" "along with the liberal media", "blatant hostility" "conquer black leaders" I mean come on this article wasn't meant to be a good basis for discussion, its straight up inflammatory. Lets take up arms against all the black people! White power!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I really appreciate how that article infers that due to "corrupt civil-right leaders" virtually every young black person is predisposed to violence and thus should to be assumed to be the aggressor in any self defense case.

Pretty much every one of these editorials moaning about how unfair it is that people complain about racism bend over backwards to be as racist as possible.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Flaggy posted:

^^^I was going to say that too. Sounds like every teenager

I love some of the wording if you read this closely: "troubled young woman" "along with the liberal media", "blatant hostility" "conquer black leaders" I mean come on this article wasn't meant to be a good basis for discussion, its straight up inflammatory. Lets take up arms against all the black people! White power!

The author is black, actually, so that makes it about ten times worse. Though the conservative bias should be obvious by the fact it's World Net Daily.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Isn't there some sort of character litmus test for passing the bar?

Wouldn't a printout or two of this kibosh anything like that?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Pixelboy posted:

Law school is filled with the most FYGM, "reverse racism is totally a thing" assholes you can possibly imagine. It gets exponentially worse the higher up the U.S. News rankings you go.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Pixelboy posted:

You can take solace in the fact that getting a law job is pretty much a Herculean task right now.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

The Warszawa posted:

Law school is filled with the most FYGM, "reverse racism is totally a thing" assholes you can possibly imagine. It gets exponentially worse the higher up the U.S. News rankings you go.

Thank goodness my alma mater had an admissions scandal that dropped us 15 spots :buddy: Those kids are getting nicer by the year!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Nice Davis posted:

Thank goodness my alma mater had an admissions scandal that dropped us 15 spots :buddy: Those kids are getting nicer by the year!

To be fair, I misstated it. The further up you go, the worse some get, and the more likely it becomes that the "left" is composed entirely of rich white kids from Scarsdale who are totally into telling people of color what their priorities should be.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

This just in, Lawyers are assholes. For more on this story, we turn to every hack comic from the last 90 years.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Fulchrum posted:

This just in, Lawyers are assholes. For more on this story, we turn to every hack comic from the last 90 years.

Nah, this isn't even the case. Several Supreme Court Justices are straight up the nicest people you will ever meet, for example. It's just that they're an incredibly small fraction of law students.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The Warszawa posted:

True, true. My dad teaches at one of the top-tiers and he's HUGELY FYGM, believes pretty much all the talking points, etc. When I had the audacity to claim that socialized medicine was better than America's private system, he actually told me that he hopes I do get to see how "great" Obamacare will be when I go on it. That's like me wishing for him and my mom to lose their jobs and savings so they can see how easy it is to live on welfare - in other words, a curse.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Fulchrum posted:

Henry VI, Part 2 posted:

Dick: The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Last 420 years.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cafel posted:

Last 420 years.

... did you just accuse Shakespeare of being a hack?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Fulchrum posted:

... did you just accuse Shakespeare of being a hack?

Well duh, since Marlow was secretly the one that actually wrote everything. Shakespeare was just an illiterate actor front man. :colbert:

(Not really)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The thing about that quote is that it's taken out of context: the character who says it is part of an anti-intellectual mob who goes on to kill a man for the crime of knowing how to read. We're not supposed to agree with what they say!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

We're not supposed to agree with what they say!

This comes up a lot in Shakespeare.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This comes up a lot in Shakespeare.
For example, Romeo and Juliet.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/28/opinion/sunday/dowd-time-to-hard-delete-carlos-danger.html?smid=fb-nytimes&WT.z_sma=OP_DTT_20130729

I knew was in for some hardcore full blinders-on misstatements when the NYTimes Facebook feed excerpt for this article started with:

quote:

Some sex scandals, like Mark Sanford’s, fall into the realm of flawed human nature, and some, like Weiner’s, fall into the realm of ‘Seriously, what is wrong with you?’” writes Maureen Dowd in the Sunday Review.

Yeah, Mark Sanford, that normal, personable guy he is, loving mistresses in Argentina, repeatedly violating restraining orders while trying to make a political comeback, you know, a real natural dude from the land of Just-Wins-Electionsville.

So let's dig in further!

quote:

WHEN you puzzle over why the elegant Huma Abedin is propping up the eel-like Anthony Weiner, you must remember one thing: Huma was raised in Saudi Arabia, where women are treated worse by men than anywhere else on the planet.

Let's kick off with a blame-the-woman sideways assault that isn't even strictly true on the facts (ever been to Afghanistan, Maureen?)

quote:

Americans keep moving the marker of acceptable behavior, partly as a reflection of the coarsening of society and partly as a public acknowledgment that many pols with complicated personal lives have been good public servants

Being socially liberal: "coarsening," which is about this article's tenth broadside into the English language, or at least tortured metaphor, in eight paragraphs. For example, gently caress this sentence:

quote:

Huma gained renown, movie star suitors and a Vogue spread as the stylish Muslim Garbo silently and efficiently parting the waves for Hillary.

Where do you start there?

Anyway, as can be expected, the article juggles a bunch of malignant centrist narratives--badly--with maybe the only halfway convincing argument being that Weiner is a liberal Michele Bachmann. That's mildly instructive, I guess. Its usefulness is negated, and then some, by Dowd disturbingly patterning her editorial after right wing croaking that Huma is still with Weiner because Muslim women are powerless.

Normally I would just appreciate if Dowd took this article back to the poetry slam where she wrote it, but I'm not sure how many poetry slams out there appreciate such on-the-nose witticisms about Greta Garbo. George Will would probably love it?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Where do you start there?

I have seriously considered this question for several minutes now, since that sentence is impressively tortured. After careful consideration, I've decided that the only winning move is not to play. That sentence might seem like a remarkable if ugly blacksmith's knot of language, but I'm pretty sure that the intricacy is an illusion and that it's actually just a bunch of crap welded together.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nathilus posted:

I have seriously considered this question for several minutes now, since that sentence is impressively tortured. After careful consideration, I've decided that the only winning move is not to play. That sentence might seem like a remarkable if ugly blacksmith's knot of language, but I'm pretty sure that the intricacy is an illusion and that it's actually just a bunch of crap welded together.

An appropriately-placed comma would be a great starting point.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I've found it. The textbook example of a strawman and a false dichotomy. It came in a letter to the editor of the Star Tribune today...

quote:

‘TIME CAPSULE’

Call Al Gore: Climate change may be natural

Your July 29 article on the ancient campsite “time capsule” found in Chanhassen was very interesting. It cannot, however, be factually correct. The article claims that 8,000 years ago the Minnesota landscape was extremely dry and trees were rare. It also claims that over the centuries, the climate became wetter.

This cannot possibly be true. We all know that until evil white men showed up with gas-guzzling SUVs, the climate was perfect in every way and unchanging. Al Gore said so.

The other possibility, I suppose, is that the climate actually changes regularly due to outside forces beyond our control (e.g. solar activity), and has nothing to do with human existence. Nah, can’t make any money off that!

KEVIN AUSTIN, Plymouth

There are only those two possibilities. There can be no alternative but those two extremes. :psyboom:

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
"I Got Yelled At By An Inner City Kid At A YMCA Camp."

That's the actual title of the piece. Let that sink in for a moment.

quote:

I never went to public school. This is probably for the best because frankly I don’t think I would have survived.

I did, however, go to summer camp with the inner city kids. So I got a brief taste of what public school would have been like. I got to experience the unapologetic cruelty of kids in their early teens, their insatiable sense of entitlement and their uncanny ability to rebuff their peers with reckless abandon.

The summer when I was ten I spent a few weeks at YMCA camp. Our day was regimented with various activities, none of which I was good at, like swimming, basketball, being outside, and doing crafts in large groups. I was good at crafts, just not group crafts, because anyone who has ever survived a group project knows that maybe two out of seven kids come away from it feeling good about the final result, and those are usually the ones who didn’t care to begin with.

So naturally, the boy who gave me a welcomeness complex did so during a group project. Let’s call him Paul. Honestly his name doesn’t matter because I haven’t seen him since 2001 and I wouldn’t recognize him if I tripped over him. We were sitting at a long table, and the craft du jour was to paint a long piece of brown paper (the kind grocery bags are made of) until it could reasonably be called a banner. I don’t remember the details. As with most group projects that involve more than ten rambunctious kids, I didn’t feel very attached to the project.

Paul was sitting next to me, listening to music on a bulky set of headphones. They must have been the 1999 equivalent of Beats. That’s how cool he thought he was. In the middle of the project Paul excused himself from the table but before doing so, he handed his headphones and CD player (back in the day…) to the kid sitting across from him and uttered something to the effect of “yo man check this out.”

Yo Man across the table did check it out. He put on the headphones and started grooving. Then he put the headphones and player back on the table and the kid next to him picked it up and started listening too. He also seemed to like what he heard. So when that kid put the set back down on the table it was clear to me what I needed to do. I picked up the headphones and put them on. I smiled at the other two kids, as though this was some sort of initiation. We all liked the music coming out of Paul’s headphones so naturally we must all be fast friends.

I might have gotten to enjoy about two drumbeats before Paul materialized before me. He had returned to his seat. I smiled at him proudly – I was a fan of his music so he must be a fan of me. We were friends now, right? Wrong.

Paul was mad. I cautiously removed the headphones and began handing the set back to Paul, but not before he could shout, “What do you think you’re DOING?” I told him what I thought I was doing: “I thought you wanted us all to hear that song.”

Paul didn’t want us all to hear that song.

As tears began to well up in my eyes one of the camp counselors appeared between Paul’s chair and mine. “What’s the problem, Paul?” she said in a tone indicating that this was not Paul’s first problem of this sort. “She had my headphones! She was all puttin’ em on her EARS!”

He said this as though my ears were the last surface any pair of headphones could be unfortunate enough to find themselves upon. My ears were very clean, thank you very much. I had just come back from swimming in the vat of chlorine that is the YMCA pool. But regardless of the quality of my ears, it took everything in me not to run away crying. Paul had humiliated me. He could have just dealt with it. He could have been nice. He could have reacted in any way more mild than publicizing my rejection so that the whole camp could tune in.

I guess you could say I’m not the kind of person who takes welcomeness for granted. I tend not to assume I’m part of a group unless I am told directly or it otherwise becomes obvious. Coworkers, school friends, I know when I am in and when I’m hanging around the outskirts. And when I’m hanging around the outskirts I have a tendency to just leave. Outskirts are no fun. You’re expendable. You’re the one that finds out on Monday morning what the group did over the weekend. I don’t do outskirts. I’m in or I’m gone. I’m not saying that’s how everyone should live, it’s just what I’ve found to be most assuring.

This is not to say I blame Paul or this one arbitrary episode for my insecurities as an adult, although they do say that the things you remember from your childhood are remembered for a reason. That those instances shaped a part of who you are, how you identify yourself, how you are hardwired. They are indicative beyond the surface.

What do I mean by “welcomeness complex,” exactly? Just that I never go ahead and make the assumption that I’m welcome with a new person. I feel situations out first. The person I am today wouldn’t pick up Paul’s headphones without being very sure it was okay with him, that we were on that level. Maybe that’s just because I’m older. Or maybe it’s because sometimes people make us feel a certain way that we are committed to never feeling again. Rejected. Unwanted. Repulsive. We avoid their recurrences like the plague and that is how we become guarded.

I think most of us have stories like this. Little ones, big ones. I’m sure many people have much worse ones that would break your heart to hear. This one is minor, relatively speaking. But I suppose the lesson here is that you never know what words you say that some people will never forget – for better or for worse – that they will allow to shape and mold their character and the walls they build. We can’t always predict when or why our words will become immortal.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

I am trying to imagine how hard it would be to keep a straight face as someone tearfully relates that harrowing tale.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Homeschooling Never Taught Me to Keep My Grubby Mitts Off of People's poo poo Unless Invited."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"Unwelcome and repulsive" seems an accurate summary of that essay. I wonder if she looked around for a site without a comments section when deciding where to post that "I'm not racist but" opus.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

"their insatiable sense of entitlement"

:ironicat:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I open the opinion section of the Star Tribune today, and behold an astounding sob story (emphasis mine):

:qq: posted:

The Center of the American Experiment received a letter last week from U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, Democrat of Illinois. We are normally thrilled to hear from any elected official, given the fact that we are a policy organization.

Our excitement quickly turned to indignation upon reading Durbin’s letter.

The senator, you see, is on a witch hunt. His target is the American Legislative Exchange Council, better known as “ALEC.” There has been a steady drumbeat against ALEC for several years now from various points on the left-wing spectrum. For example, the Center for Media and Democracy has a massive website dedicated to intimidating corporate donors in hopes of defunding ALEC.

ALEC is a nonprofit organization devoted to limited government, free markets and federalism. It provides model legislation — mostly on economic issues — to legislators and free-market-policy organizations like American Experiment — and to anyone else who goes to its website. It has been around for more than 30 years, and its members are state legislators from all over the country.

ALEC is avowedly conservative in its orientation. We have a great deal of respect for ALEC and find its model legislation to be of the highest quality.

Back to the letter: Sen. Durbin is holding a hearing next month on state “stand your ground” laws, which modify the legal standard for self-defense, and which some on the left have blamed for the Trayvon Martin tragedy in Florida.

The U.S. Senate has no jurisdiction over state criminal laws; Durbin’s hearing is pure grandstanding. But that is not enough for the senator. He is now attempting to intimidate ALEC’s supporters as part of his “hearing.”

This is where it gets unsettling — especially in this age of politically motivated IRS audits. Durbin said in his letter that certain unidentified “public documents” tied us to funding ALEC, and that as a result he was “seeking clarification” on two questions:

1)  Has the Center of the American Experiment served as a member of ALEC or provided any funding to ALEC in 2013?

2)  Does our organization support the “stand your ground” legislation that was adopted as a national model and promoted by ALEC?

The answers to those questions are irrelevant to Durbin’s hearing, which in turn is irrelevant to the business of the Senate. Durbin has evidently decided to use the power of his office to join the left’s campaign to defund ALEC.

There is a difference, however, between private organizations organizing boycotts or protests and public officials using their power to intimidate people who express views with which those officials disagree.

The irony here is that Durbin chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee on “The Constitution, Civil Rights and Human Rights.” The Constitution protects the right to speak and associate without fear of intimidation from government officials. And unlike state criminal law, violations of constitutional rights do fall within the committee’s jurisdiction.

Durbin should be ashamed of himself for the naked abuse of power evidenced by his letter. We call on U.S. Sen. Al Franken of Minnesota, who serves on the subcommittee, to join us in denouncing Durbin’s thinly veiled threat and abuse of his office.

--------------

Mitch Pearlstein is president and Kim Crockett is the chief operating officer of the Center of the American Experiment.

Plucky little ALEC is being picked on by a big meanie Democratic Senator! A witch hunt! Him sending out letters and asking questions is an abuse of power, and we all know how the IRS has been targeting groups for political reasons!

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

It is time for a fair and truthful discussion of race courtesy of The Eagle.

quote:

Race-mongering-lynch mobs divide a nation

Important Editor's Note:
Not long after that criminal who calls himself the United States Attorney's General took office and began his campaign to destroy race relations, our Constitution and anything else that would interfere with his socialist agenda, Eric Holder made the statement which, paraphrasing, accused whites of being cowards for not taking on and talking about black and white racial issues.

Then again, most recently the Divider and Chief suggested, right after fanning racial tensions as he imposed himself into the Trayvon Martin case, suggested that the time has come for a discussion on race.

While both comments were equally disgusting and hypocritical, both of those two racists have had their wishes answered by the Eagle. They might think again before venturing into a request for unfettered truth.

So, here it is, request granted.

TPATH

It’s time for a Black reality check. Let's start with this; “Know the truth and the truth shall set you free”.

First, put the blame for Trayvon Martin's death where it belongs. Stop whining and blaming whitey. The media, which never fails to enjoy racial tension, and the Judge for the Zimmerman trial prevented America from knowing just who and what Trayvon Martin was. So here it is.
Trayvon Martin was nothing more than a two-bit punk hoodlum. At 17 he already had a long history of drug abuse, suspensions, assaults, possession of stolen jewelry and burglary tools. He was not the 12 year old everyone in the media loved to portray. Trayvon was an experienced fighter and even held his own street fight matches where he would referee. And Trayvon was 3 inches taller and 35 pounds heavier than Zimmerman. Trayvon was sent to his father to live because he could not be handled or controlled by his mother.

It is important for all to know, being black doesn’t entitle you to any special treatment. Being young and black does not entitle you to smash the skull of even a white Hispanic. White Hispanics, just so we understand each other are not entitled to special treatment either. But they are entitled to prevent someone from killing them.

Speaking of special treatment, you’ve been here for four hundred years. Are you saying you’re not real Americans? What’s with this “African American” garbage? You’re Americans and you should be proud of it! When was the last time you heard other races or nationalities running around saying, I’m an Italian, Polish, German or Irish American? Wake up you idiots! Color, race, or nationality should never divide us as a people, and that’s what the establishment has been accomplishing. Everyone of you who allow yourselves, your race and your color to be used by the racial hucksters and savage media are as much to blame as the perpetrators. As long as you offer up your lives as fodder for those evil groups, you will remain oppressed, even if only in your hearts. Perception is reality. How long will you remain there?

All Americans celebrate Dr. King, but fail to understand the dream “…I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but the content of the character.” Many of you shame Dr. King’s legacy.

The same could be said, concerning the esteemed men and women from the black communities that escaped poverty through hard work to realize the American dream in every profession.
Instead of trying to emulate the successful black, the race Nazi's title them “Uncle Toms” and then the intentionally uneducated buy into their crap. Understand there is a profit in misery and despair. There will be a very special place in hell for those inciters of riots and death.

The attempted Zimmerman lynching, reached a new low for blacks as they once again failed to prevent their race from being used like pawns as this government endeavored to further divide us as Americans. You can thank the media, and the race-baiting reprobates in the White House. The Zimmerman case was not the first time Obama pulled this garbage. Remember the Louis (racists) Gates incident, when without any facts Obama accused a white police officer of "acting stupidly" for doing his job. Obama claims his son could have been Trayvon. Take a look at what Trayvon really looked like, and not the twelve year old depicted by the whores in the media, who just love to stir the pot, and turn us against each other.

If America is so intolerably racist explain how blacks that comprise 14-percent of the population elected Obama President? It’s time you stick your racist crap where the sun doesn’t shine. The fact is it was ‘White’ Americans who put the lying, deceitful Obama in the Oval office. Blacks, even if there were massive voter fraud, simply would not come close to getting Obama elected without a very large percentage of white votes. It’s time now for some other facts.

A Black Racist Cesspool
The reason the Black Community is in poverty is because of your useless racist leadership, especially the Congressional Black Caucus, (CBC) NAACP, and the progressive controlled Media that are aiding and abetting in dividing us as a people. The CBC repeatedly sells out the black community; as they bow to their white-liberal/progressive masters who want to keep you on the government plantation.

One of most racists Presidents in American history, (Outside of Obama) was Lyndon B. Johnson who created the “Nanny State” and destroyed the black family that existed for a hundred years following the Civil War. Fathers became optional and unnecessary as the State became the sugar daddy. The Democratic Party, even back when they were fighting to prevent the Republicans from passing equal rights laws, were formulating their sinister plan to keep blacks uneducated and dependent on them and voting Democratic. Evil is as evil does.

Thereafter, the Progressive/Democrats instituted the 3-D’s plan for American blacks; Keep them ‘Dumb, Dependent, and Democrat”. Yet, the CBC refuses to see what their Democrat/Marxist puppet masters are doing to their communities.

Discussion on race you say? Okay! A few more facts? Your school districts are run by the Progressive/Marxists Teachers Unions and corrupt school boards. What did Obama and the CBC do in the very beginning of his reign of destruction? They ended the voucher system in Washington D.C. which returned your children to drug and gang infested substandard schools that the charter system had allowed a few to escape. Keeping your children away from real education will ensure they remain voting Democratic. Shame on you for not only allowing this desecration of your culture but actually working to ensure your children will spend their entire lives in abject poverty. Yes, shame on you.

These same CBC carpetbaggers support amnesty for illegals ignoring the fact that one out of seven blacks are already unemployed? Did any of you hypocrites in the CBC read the bill? If you had, my question is how can you accept a bill that allows a corporation to be fined $5000 if they employ an American over an illegal granted amnesty? As low paying, low skilled jobs are being given to illegals, black American citizens will be the ones who suffer as corporations take tax breaks handed to them on a silver platter. May it be that you in the CBC are products of the nanny state education system and you can't read? If that's the case, call someone who graduated from a charter school and have them read it to you. Oh yes, and you might call Rubio and Ryan to join the read in. It appears they can't read either.

It’s not racist to say that blacks will be the most effected by the loss of low to middle income jobs. It is a fact and it is proof that the Democratic Party has been very successful at keeping your community uneducated and unskilled. Congratulate them the next time one of them passes you by in their stretch limo.

Black unemployment is approximately 14 percent, which calculates to 6-percent higher than the national rate. Why did the CBC turn its back on the “Black American Leadership Alliance” that marched 3000 strong on Pennsylvania Avenue to protest amnesty and how it will hurt all Americans, especially the black community?

If you think the black unemployment rate is high now, wait until corporations start replacing you with newly legalized illegals. The Amnesty bill exempts corporations from paying medical coverage or the ObamaCare fines if they hire those given amnesty. Wake up. Obama doesn’t give a hoot about your community. By legalizing 11 to 20-million illegals and seeing to it that they get your jobs they kill two birds with one stone. Hispanics will be grateful and vote Democratic and you, the black American citizen will remain dependant and vote Democratic. Great little game they are playing with you, your children and their future. How long will you continue to play?

FRAUDS on PARADE
The CBC’s own Charlie (the Tax cheat) Rangel, a master of lip-service says he recognized that violence in black neighborhoods existed, but used that same racist excuse. The only way to solve it he declares - is equal opportunity. He goes on to say: “I don’t know why young people shoot each other, but I do know one thing, those who do not shoot each other are young kids who are inspired. They have education, they have families, they have a country that is the wind beneath their wings. And too, they want to make a contribution to this great country. Well Charlie, the CBC, to which you belong has done nothing to implement those concepts. Nothing. It has however, in cahoots with teacher's unions, sold out your children’s opportunities for a better education.

You’re not alone Charlie, listen to your idiot colleague, CBC, Rep. Yvette Clark: “The lives of black men and women are not accorded the same value as the lives of white Americans….” This of course is confirmed continuously, by her and the rest of the CBC as they sit by while hundreds of blacks are slaughtered in liberal cities each and every day. She may be onto something. The white community would not put up with their children playing in a slaughterhouse. Ms. Clark may have to ask herself, why does she put up with it? Why is one young thug's life, killed by a White Hispanic, more important to her than the 11,000 blacks murdered by each other since Trayvon's death. To whom does she address her question? Perhaps a face to face with a looking glass would be appropriate.

Black blood, at the hands of black perpetrators, flows like a river down the gutters and washes out of sight and out of existence without a tear or a word of sorrow, but let a policemen make an error or a white person defend himself and out of their rat-holes comes the purveyors of hate, Jesse (the extortionist) and Rev. Al (the instigator) Sharpton (Rev. my backside). Only the lives of those who can pad a racist's coffers have value. The others, be damned.

Did you know Obama’s Justice Department funded these two has-beens with taxpayer dollars to organize and protest? I would be remiss if I failed to mention this intellectual mental midget Anthea Butler, Professor of Religious Studies at University of Pennsylvania has the audacity to say ‘America’s God is a White Racist.”

Trayvon Martin was a violent street hardened thug, depicted as this poor little innocent boy that just came from the candy store after buying his candy and an ice tea. Bull! Trayvon had just purchased ingredients to create a morphine type drug; when you combine Skittles, Robitussin cough syrup, and let’s not forget the Arizona Water Mellon fruit juice – waa la, a cheap high that also makes the idiot paranoid and aggressive! Trayvon’s autopsy showed his liver was damaged from abusive use of this homemade drug.

Now a few things about George Zimmerman that have been kept from the public:

Zimmerman is of Hispanic origin and not white.
He was raised with two black children.
He battled the authorities for six-months to have a police officer’s son arrested after accosting a black homeless man.
He was the first to welcome new black families into their multi-cultural community.
Witnesses attested that Trayvon accosted Zimmerman and was brutally beating him.
Color had nothing to do with Zimmerman’s justified action.

Because an innocent man wasn’t convicted, your communities resort to uncivilized behavior; running in packs like animals, rioting, looting, beating and killing innocent white individuals without justification. And where’s the outrage, you disgusting phony frauds? Where is the media coverage, where is the Department of Justice? Are these not hate crimes? This is not the kind of behavior any of my black friends, and I have many, would ever condone. Civilized people adhere to the law. Again, put the blame where it belongs; the Media and the absence of moral leadership by our elected officials; lack of disciple and curriculum in our schools, silence from the pulpit concerning involvement in government.

The United States ranks 3rd in per capita murders worldwide. If the cites of Chicago, Detroit, Washington DC, and New Orleans were not counted, the United States would rank 4th from the bottom. What else do these murderous cities have in common? They have the toughest Gun Control Laws in the United States. Interesting, every one of these cities are controlled by Progressive, liberal Democrats who spend all their energy and time preventing law abiding citizens from protecting themselves while continuing to ignore criminals and gun crimes.
Other murder meccas are Trenton, Newark, Philly, and L.A. And as with previously mentioned cities they too have common connections.

They are run by liberals.
They are predominately black.
Guns are not legal.
Blacks are killing blacks with guns.
No black leader or politician gives a drat.

As I stated above Obama and the Progressive Media want to divide us as Americans. Racial strife has become a profitable enterprise and a cover for the numerous (phony) scandals plaguing this corrupt administration.

What is needed are honorable men and women of character to be elected to political office. Sadly most of you in the black community will continue to vote for the party that worked in the past to enslave you and worked even harder to keep you from enjoying the benefits of true freedom and are working today, just as hard as ever to keep you addicted to the milk of the government teet.
So, how was that for a discussion on race? Brave enough for you Mr. Holder?

The Eagle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
This is, I think, my first time in this thread. I just wandered in to see how bad the stuff being posted here was. Maybe it was humorous, or entertaining. So I clicked "last page" to check out moronic takes on current events. I didn't even make it one third of the way through the above article before my eyes refused to relay the words to my brain. gently caress people. How can someone get literally everything so badly wrong?

• Locked thread