Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Speaking as a former maintainer, surges and exercises were the perfect time to deal with pocket discrepancies and extra nitpicky BPO's - you were there for 12 hours anyways.

I'm surprised no one in leadership noticed that FMC rate dropped like a rock whenever we went on mandatory 12's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROPES CURE NIGGERS
Feb 18, 2013

by Fistgrrl

Godholio posted:

We lived in those apartments.

Good times.

ftfy

:colbert:

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.
For the benefit of those of us who do not happen to work in the United States Armed Forces, what do the acronyms PAA/PAI/FMC represent?

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

hazza posted:

For the benefit of those of us who do not happen to work in the United States Armed Forces, what do the acronyms PAA/PAI/FMC represent?

People Are Assholes, People Are Idiots, Fiddle My Cock.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

RichieHimself posted:

People Are Assholes, People Are Idiots, Fiddle My Cock.

Sounds legit.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

ghost bones posted:

When is the Navy not gay, though?

navyberthing.mpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7762K3Q5fRs

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

It came from the awkward fanart thread in PYF:

Why do I get the feeling I know what the artist of this looks like. How do people like that even get into the military, anyway.

better content:

Listen to the jungle, the gruntin' and the breeze
As she rolls along the runway, by the Back 9 and the trees
Hear the mighty roarin' engine as you leap off in the fog
You're flying through the jungle in Republic's Ultra Hog!

We came up from old Korat one steamy summer day,
As we pitched up from the target you could hear all the gunners say
'She's big and fat, and ugly; she's really quite a dog,
She's known around the country as Republic's Ultra Hog!'

Here's to MacNamara, his name will always smell
He'll always be remembered down in Fighter Pilot's Hell
He frags all the targets and sends us out to die
He sends us into combat in Republic's 105

A single F-105 could carry a bombload at or above that carried by a WW2-era B-17 or B-24. It also has yet another one of those ur-Cold War origins, having been originally intended as a high speed, low-level tactical nuclear strike aircraft. The bomb bay was designed to rapidly snap open over the target and kick the bomb out, before the pilot pulls up and hauls rear end away as fast as possible.

I'm fortunate enough to have two airframes preserved nearby, one being combat veteran 59-1771:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Republic-F-105D-Thunderchief/2021540/L/&sid=8759e0d0f43a2d25f068d7da2a06f1e3

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 11, 2013

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

It came from the awkward fanart thread in PYF:

Why do I get the feeling I know what the artist of this looks like. How do people like that even get into the military, anyway.

"and a little bit of Japanese" paints a picture.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Victor Vermis posted:

"and a little bit of Japanese" paints a picture.

I'm actually pretty sure that the whole quote comes from a previous version of the America's Army game, where an actual 18A talks to the player character, explaining his role in the team.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

McNally posted:

I'm actually pretty sure that the whole quote comes from a previous version of the America's Army game, where an actual 18A talks to the player character, explaining his role in the team.

I thought I was the only person in the world who remembered that. It was in the mandatory obstacle course part of the game where you talk to omg real rangers and all of them are like "I speak farsi, italian, and a little bit of _______"
that was a bullshit obstacle course
followed by an online MOUT course where you shoot at people and then loud beeping ensues

edit: im pretty sure to unlock the "medic" specialty a couple years later they made you literally sit through a simulation of a powerpoint presentation about combat lifesaving

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

McNally posted:

Was his name CPT Sonic T. Hedgehog?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

DinosaurWarfare posted:

edit: im pretty sure to unlock the "medic" specialty a couple years later they made you literally sit through a simulation of a powerpoint presentation about combat lifesaving

Yep, it was about 10 seconds into this portion that I immediately quit this game. I didn't think people willfully submitted to Death by PowerPoint.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There was literally a test at the end.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

hailthefish posted:

There was literally a test at the end.

And bear in mind that the Army intended this to be a recruiting tool.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

At least the Bridge Crossing map was actually really fun.

All the training missions were aggressively stupid and the Army-flavored fluff even more-so. Getting sent to Leavenworth for friendly fire was funny though.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Haven't you guys ever seen the John Wayne movie The Green Berets? In the intro they're doing a presentation for some civilians and each team member explains his role on the team and what languages he speaks. If I remember correctly they're called Gabriel Demonstrations, not sure if SF still does them.

Tried to find the intro on youtube but couldn't find it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

hailthefish posted:

At least the Bridge Crossing map was actually really fun.

All the training missions were aggressively stupid and the Army-flavored fluff even more-so. Getting sent to Leavenworth for friendly fire was funny though.
You mean the level on the supposed recruiting tool where players would die instantly from unseen snipers whenever emerging from cover? I hated that map. Couldn't understand why people would play that and be all YEAH I WANNA GO BE SNIPER BAIT FOR REAL!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mustang posted:

Haven't you guys ever seen the John Wayne movie The Green Berets? In the intro they're doing a presentation for some civilians and each team member explains his role on the team and what languages he speaks. If I remember correctly they're called Gabriel Demonstrations, not sure if SF still does them.

Tried to find the intro on youtube but couldn't find it.

That movie owns, John Wayne owns.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

crosspostin'

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

grover posted:

You mean the level on the supposed recruiting tool where players would die instantly from unseen snipers whenever emerging from cover? I hated that map. Couldn't understand why people would play that and be all YEAH I WANNA GO BE SNIPER BAIT FOR REAL!

Fun fact: the army program director for this game?

The guy on the right.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The way the guy below him is looking is really a great punchline for that image.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
Is that the Afghani Ice Cube? :whatup:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Is that the Afghani Ice Cube? :whatup:

Hah, I thought of that photo too.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
It was a good day, today I used my AK.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

http://www.visionofhumanity.org/pdf/gpi/2013_Global_Peace_Index_Report.pdf

[quote=Figure 1.18 Number of deaths from organised internal conflict,
2007 and 2012]
2007:
Iraq: 12,050
Afghanistan: 4,210
South Sudan: 2871
India: 2675
Sri Lanka: 2054
Other: 13,409

2012:
Syria: 72,900
Libya: 30,828
Mexico: 25,321
Pakistan: 9,153
Iraq: 5,474
Yemen: 5,295
Afghanistan: 5,146
Somalia: 4,101
Nigeria: 3,604
Cote d'Ivoire: 3,108
South Sudan: 2,871
Other: 10,436
[/quote]

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013
How is Mexico on there in '12 but not '07? Doesn't make much sense.

edit: where did they even get that number? That's closer to the total # of deaths in their drug war than the total for 2012.

Captain Amerikkka fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 12, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Captain Amerikkka posted:

edit: where did they even get that number? That's closer to the total # of deaths in their drug war than the total for 2012.

"Organized internal conflict" presumably refers to civil wars, not crime. Mexico's got like three civil wars going right now.

What those charts show is that you're far better in the long run getting invaded by US imperialists than just collapsing into civil war by your lonesome

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

They're getting it from the International Institute for Strategic Studies's Armed Conflict Database, which has a page here: http://acd.iiss.org/

Edit: The report says the primary driver behind the increase in violence in Mexico is drug-related, and they appear to be counting the cartel violence, including localized wars for control over specific areas against the army and police. They estimate total deaths in the Mexican drug conflict since 2005 to be somewhere between 60,000 and 90,000, with the conflict escalating dramatically over the past few years.

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 12, 2013

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

They're getting it from the International Institute for Strategic Studies's Armed Conflict Database, which has a page here: http://acd.iiss.org/

So you're not gonna read that poo poo either huh

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

So you're not gonna read that poo poo either huh

I read the pdf file I posted, but more detailed sources for their armed conflict statistics are behind a $600/year paywall, so not likely.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

idgi is that supposed to make us want to invade syria and libya because ~~RESPONSIBILITY 2 PROTECT~~

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

here are my top 4 reasons for not intervening in syria or pretty much any other middle eastern country:

we have no dog in this fight
bad people are killing each other on both sides (a good thing)
any possible outcome won't be good for the US
i don't give a poo poo

seriously, all the western circlejerking over the "liberal elite" in middle eastern countries is ridiculous because those slices are so small and disorganized that it is unrealistic that they will ever be able to take and hold power. also are goons still jerking off over how great al jazeera is despite their blatantly MB-biased coverage in egypt?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

white privilege posted:

also are goons still jerking off over how great al jazeera is despite their blatantly MB-biased coverage in egypt?

goons jerk off over al jazeera because they think the only country they ever favor is qatar

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Fallom posted:

goons jerk off over al jazeera because they think the only country they ever favor is qatar

Qatar sucks anyway

"Don't use your left hand to hand them your ID!"

*Qatari uses left hand to hand ID back*

Seriously don't even want to know how much money we fork over annually to those fucksticks due to their "immigration" policies

For the thread, some pics from work:

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 13, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I dunno, Al-J's soccer coverage is still pretty good

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Is that a length of muffler flex pipe?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Evil_Urna posted:

Is that a length of muffler flex pipe?

I was thinking painted dryer ducting. Milspec, $500/ft

ROPES CURE NIGGERS
Feb 18, 2013

by Fistgrrl

Ikarus posted:

Qatar sucks anyway

A valid point.

I was charged $2,600 at customs because my passport "had discrepancies." I trudged on over to their immigration office to try and figure out what was wrong and they just shrugged their shoulders.

Christ I want that country to burn.

ROPES CURE NIGGERS fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 13, 2013

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

kuwait has a similar scam where they "forget" to stamp your passport out when you're leaving and then charge you a 900KD (about $3,500) fine when you come back. i pretty much want the entire middle east to burn. full on sunni-shia death war all over the region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always
We used to have to rescues civilians coming through Kandahar airport all the time because the ANP would try to shake them down. Middle eastern (or Southwest Asia if you're nasty) countries are just huge on bribes and extortion apparently.

• Locked thread