Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

There's a guy at work with whom I cannot end a conversation. He's a nice guy and we hang out sometimes, but a simple "oh well, gotta get back to work" bounces off him like throwing pennies at a speeding locomotive. Nine times out of ten, I have to just turn around and start walking away. I feel awfully rude, but I can't really afford to have 45-minute conversations every time I walk over to ask boring work questions. He combines babbling and repetition to act as a black hole of productivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Techno Remix posted:

I think my biggest one is people finding out where I'm from (Minnesota) and immediately going "OHH YAH SHURE YOU BETCHA MINNESOOOOOOOOTA EH?" I get it, I've seen Fargo too. But I'm from the Twin Cities and I'm pretty sure 90% of the people there don't even sound remotely like that. The closer you get to North Dakota and Canada, absolutely. But come on, seriously.

Hey Minnesota buddy, how bout that rush hour traffic? It's a pet peeve of mine how bad and timid drivers are here. Rush hour probably wouldn't exist here if people knew how to drive. I'll be driving along at 55MPH, then grind down to a near-complete stop, repeat ad nauseum until off the freeway. 90% of the time it's not caused by excessive traffic or an accident, people just loving LOVE driving slow as gently caress and don't bother speeding back up when the traffic ahead of them has. Maybe you're out for a lovely afternoon stroll, but when I'm on the freeway I have loving places to go, usually work. Construction zones are another thing. The zipper-merge that every other state does? No one loving does it here, and will yell and flip you off if you dare attempt it, despite an ad campaign by MNDOT telling people to DO THE loving ZIPPER-MERGE. Getting into the open lane before the construction cones force the merge is what causes massive miles-long backups.

Interrupting me. When I begin speaking, wait until I'm finished before you answer! When people do this they're usually assuming what I'm going to say so they just go ahead and start talking over me, and usually they're wrong, so I have to give an "As I was TRYING to say before you talked over me..." and repeat what I intended to say.

Speaking of Minnesota, I hate that people assume it's always an inhabitable winter wasteland. Believe it or not, Minnesota has some of the biggest temperature extremes on the planet, meaning it gets hot as gently caress here too! Humidity is another pet peeve though I can't control that. Mother Nature can give me all the heat in the summer, but you can keep your humidity.

Also, regarding dishes in sink versus out of sink. Why do you think there are two sinks to a sink? One side for washing dirty dishes, the other side for rinsing and drying. This may come as a shock to some, but even with those dirty dishes already in the sink you can still put in your plug and fill with water and dish soap!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Sunshine89 posted:

I'll add two kinds of people: The Dawdler and Paparazzi.

You're trying to be somewhere where it's essential that you get there on time, like a movie without reserved seating, or a game and you want to see everything from the national anthem onward. Dawdler, however, always holds you up, despite swearing up and down that this time, they'll be on time. Sometimes, their problem starts at home- there's the dad-style, puttering dawdler that has to circle check their car, make sure there's no cracks along the foundations of the house, make sure that temperature and humidity levels are optimal, and check all points of entry, egress and ventilation so that nobody can get in 3 times before leaving. There's that pack rat style dawdler who absolutely needs their tote bag with their iPhone, iPad, charger for each, extra charger just in case, keys, wallet, extra wallet with rewards cards for every store on the planet, watch, jacket, hoodie, flip flops, granola bars, gum, water bottle, coffee mug, sunscreen, moisturizer, makeup, camera, reusable grocery bag, utility knife, sleeping bag, tent, road flares, kitchen sink, flux capacitor and so on. Bonus points for them having so much crap that they can't find any of it. There's also the kind of dawdler that has to stop 5 times along the way from Point A to Point B- need to go to the bathroom, need to drop this off, need to get something quick (and it's never quick to eat)- all the stuff that should have been done beforehand.

Dawdlers do my head in; I have actually just left them behind before out of sheer frustration. I'm married to one, and his friends think it's cute and endearing that he rarely actually sees the start of a film, concert, show, whatever. If he doesn't show up at least half way through, he's actually arrived at concerts just as everyone is leaving.

To keep everyone's sanity, whenever we have tickets to anything together, we travel separately. Invariably I get to the venue with plenty of time to spare for something to eat or a little shop around the area if it's in a high street area like somewhere in the West End; he shows up about 20-30 minutes into the show.

But overall, he makes James May look like the Road Runner, and it does drive me nuts :(

The bookend peeve to that are people like my dad: if we had to be somewhere at, say, 11am, he'd make us leave the house at like 5 or 6am. We'd drive to Baltimore to visit my grandmother for lunch, and he'd make us get up before dawn to make an hour's trip west on Rt 40. When I was a little kid, we'd go to the movies together sometimes, and we'd get to the movie theatre literally hours before the show time (note: we lived about 15 minutes' drive from the cinema). Sitting and waiting in the car for two hours is agony when you're 8 years old.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

AlbieQuirky posted:

People who give them a hard time about how there can't be any gluten in their salad or :supaburn: and then eat half their friend's cake, for example. This article talks about how it can be a problem.

And then you get people like this douchebag lying to diners, so. :smith: I may just never leave my house again. But note the chef who "thinks special requests are ridiculous" because he's seen diners lying about allergies.

I stand corrected. I was under the impression that no one would risk seriously hurting someone under suspicion that they might be lying about their allergy, but I suppose I'm too naive and didn't realize how many people are shitheads.

Did that guy at least lose his job after publicly admitting to secretly giving people food they claim to be allergic to?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
People peeking over my shoulders when I'm looking at a screen. Computer screen or my cellphone's screen, I just want to elbow people in the mouth for that. Personal space AND privacy violations going on here, guys. Its like someone is listening in on a conversation I'm having. I actually bookmarked the goatman and pull him up when people start peeking over my shoulder.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
There is nothing worse than being behind slow people on a golf course who refuse to let faster groups play through. It can literally transform a nice, relaxing day at the golf course into a six and a half hour long torture chamber. No amount of cigars or whiskey or beer or even good shots can stem the agony. It's worse than the worst traffic jam because not only can't you move but you also have to play golf.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I hate timestamps that are based around the current day.

Knowing that a video was uploaded "5 months ago" is nowhere near as useful to me as "02/03/2013" so why do so many sites insist on this completely worthless system for their timestamps? Do they think I'm too stupid to figure out how many months ago February was, so they have to tell me?

It's especially bad because the timestamps gradually get less and less useful the older the post is, and the older ones are the ones where a specific date is more necessary. Say I'm looking for something I know was uploaded around March 17th, 2010. Now I have to dig through a million videos timestamped as "Uploaded three years ago" because they refuse to get any more specific than that. If they at least said "Uploaded 39 months ago" it would be silly but more useful than just telling me it was uploaded sometime in 2010.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

All on Black posted:

-Someone pointed it out earlier in the thread as good advice, but I can't loving stand when people pretend to be allergic to poo poo so restaurants won't put it in their food. Stop being a baby and just order it without the ingredient you don't want.

Reversed! I hate mayonnaise because it is gross eggs and oil and I don't feel like I need that on anything. So at most sandwich places I just say "no mayo" and okay fine. Except there's always some rear end in a top hat sandwich guy that wants to argue about it. Like "no mayo? But mayo moistens the sandwich! You gotta have mayo!" Man gently caress that guy.

Also there is a place down the street from my work that sells fancy sausages. Like basically arty hog dog prep. They come with specific veggies and sauces on each one. They have a pompous-rear end sign that says "we appreciate your trust in our chef's judgement and offer these dishes without substitution or omission." That sort of nose-up douchey presentation is exactly when you just lie to them.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

All on Black posted:

-Customers who treat the employees of wherever they're shopping like they're subhuman or non existent. Just because they're serving you doesn't mean you can treat them like garbage.

I think it's been mentioned before, but when people put their payment (which always includes an ungodly amount of coinage) on the counter instead of in your hand sends me into a rage. The look they gave me when I would put their change back on the counter felt so good. So petty, but so good.

I managed to witness a coworker silently stew over a customer who reached over her outstretched hand to put the money on the counter, too. She's a better person than I am, though. :allears:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

MNSNTZR posted:

I think it's been mentioned before, but when people put their payment (which always includes an ungodly amount of coinage) on the counter instead of in your hand sends me into a rage. The look they gave me when I would put their change back on the counter felt so good. So petty, but so good.

I managed to witness a coworker silently stew over a customer who reached over her outstretched hand to put the money on the counter, too. She's a better person than I am, though. :allears:

When I quit Trader Joe's I gave a two weeks notice, and the two weeks of handing people's change back to them in the exact manner they gave it to me was worth the two years of working there.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
I just got back from an extra-long shift today, and it was enough for me to add a new peeve onto the list: people that insist that something that we don't have on the shelves just has to be 'out back somewhere'.

'Do you have any low-acid low-calorie orange juice in the back somewhere?'
'Do you have the 30-pack cases of [insert low-quality beer brand we don't carry] out back?'

Uh, I do inventory counts on a pretty regular basis and I'm sharp enough to know where everything is in the back, and I can assure you we have none of what you're looking for, so stop being pushy about it thanks.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Miss Kalle posted:

I just got back from an extra-long shift today, and it was enough for me to add a new peeve onto the list: people that insist that something that we don't have on the shelves just has to be 'out back somewhere'.

'Do you have any low-acid low-calorie orange juice in the back somewhere?'
'Do you have the 30-pack cases of [insert low-quality beer brand we don't carry] out back?'

Uh, I do inventory counts on a pretty regular basis and I'm sharp enough to know where everything is in the back, and I can assure you we have none of what you're looking for, so stop being pushy about it thanks.

Content:

When I hear a cover song. NO. Your version is total poo poo, you completely ruined the song, gently caress you. The worst is in this supermarket I go to. They constantly play this crazy lady's covers of The Beatles. It sounds like a cat meowing and vomiting in a soft, off time voice.

Christmas music in EVERY. loving. STORE. I want to murder whoever wrote "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Santa Baby." What, you want to have sex with Santa?

Assholes at the gym who take up 5 machines at once. This one lady was switching between cable machines that were next to each other. Some guy went to use one of the machines that she was using because, hey, no one uses two machines at once, right? Wrong. She started SCREAMING at him that she was using it and how dare he and some other crazy poo poo. Later she put her towel on a machine and walked ACROSS THE GYM (like 100 feet or something) to use some other machine.

People who come to the beach but park in my neighborhood instead of the beach parking lot. WHY do they do this? It's like an extra 20 minute walk to the beach, and there's a loving lot right there for you to use. I loving hate you. Now there's nowhere for residents who LIVE HERE to park. God forbid you have to drive to the store on a weekend, you'll end up parking 2 miles away when you get back.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
People who trash perfectly good food after only eating a 3rd of it.

People are starving to death, and you're throwing away food. It just boggles my mind.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Dr Scoofles posted:

When I hear a cover song. NO. Your version is total poo poo, you completely ruined the song, gently caress you. The worst is in this supermarket I go to. They constantly play this crazy lady's covers of The Beatles. It sounds like a cat meowing and vomiting in a soft, off time voice.

Folky, "emotional" covers of pop songs irritate me, but not nearly as much as the people who love them and insist they have more "soul" than the original version. Gary Jules does not understand Mad World on a deeper level than the band who wrote the drat song, you nitwit.

PBJ posted:

People are starving to death, and you're throwing away food. It just boggles my mind.

I agree with you regarding wasting food, but one of my pet peeves is when people express it like this. I can't very well give the other 2/3 of my burger to someone starving in a 3rd world nation, can I?

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Jul 13, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

PBJ posted:

I wish portions weren't so huge right now. Why is it so hard to find like a cinnamon roll for normal people. They are gigantic and I don't feel like carrying around leftovers all day so I just dump it.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rollersnake posted:

I agree with you regarding wasting food, but one of my pet peeves is when people express it like this. I can't very well give the other 2/3 of my burger to someone starving in a 3rd world nation, can I?

I can understand this argument, but I guess another peeve of mine is that why don't restaurants have some sort of disinfection and redistribution program that could allow unfinished food to be given to the needy? It's horrifying to see how much food is just thrown into dumpsters.

That, and we really need to think about cutting down on portion sizes.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

People who think their mobile phone generates an Invisible Cone Of Silence, granting them a private conversation when they're walking around in public, swearing loudly into their phone.

Audi/BMW drivers. No, having a reasonably fast and expensive car doesn't magically make you a great driver, you still have to accept that other people are entitled to be on the same road as you, and consider using your loving indicators at least once a day.

Web applications. Browsers were intended for, you know, browsing. Using browsers as a general-purpose application platform is the worst way to develop lovely software, and all those toolkits that have been shoe-horned into it merely show how shittily awful Javascript is.

Telling people that the party starts at 1pm, and they eventually begin to trickle in sometime after 3. I'm running out of loving charcoal!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Stoatbringer posted:

Telling people that the party starts at 1pm, and they eventually begin to trickle in sometime after 3. I'm running out of loving charcoal!

I just today heard some ladies at the gym discussing this exact thing. One was saying something like, "yeah they said it starts at 2, but you know no one is going to show up until 6!" Other lady was like, "Yeah I'm going to start getting ready at 5:30."

I hate that all drinks in the US are either sweetened or diet. They even have to sell water with sugar or diarrhealose in it because apparently US morons won't just drink water. And it's absolutely impossible to find just plain loving tea. It's all loving sweetened. I have to deal with lovely McDonalds $1 tea because that's the only place that sells it outside of ridiculously overpriced melting hot 3rd degree tongue burns Starbucks tea.

Oh and people who buy those 24 packs of bottled water. You're being so loving wasteful, just buy a water filter or a reusable bottle!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Stoatbringer posted:

Audi/BMW drivers. No, having a reasonably fast and expensive car doesn't magically make you a great driver, you still have to accept that other people are entitled to be on the same road as you, and consider using your loving indicators at least once a day.

Snow Crash posted:

BMW drivers take evasive action at the drop of a hat, emulating the drivers in the BMW advertisements – this is how they convince themselves they didn’t get ripped off.

Neal Stephenson showing that not much changed in 20 years.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Is it impossible to package froze/canned foods without stuffing it with fat and sodium? I just started a diet and it's opening my eyes to how disgusting a lot of food (in the US, anyways) is.

Another, less discussable peeve of mine is punctuality. Just show up and leave on time, dammit! It really isn't hard.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

People who interrupt me to ask what I'm saying before I've finished saying it. Nine times out of ten, if I can't quite make out the beginning of a sentence and I let the person finish speaking, listening to the rest makes it easy to parse what came before. Talking over a person does not make what they're trying to say any more understandable.

Speaking of unhelpful conversations, please don't ask me what is going to happen next in a movie we're both watching.

Gishman
Jun 14, 2011
People who don't immediately turn on their headlights while driving at night. They either wait until they leave a parking lot or their driveway to turn them on. This annoyance has nothing to do with safety.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Blood drives with loving insane and pointless hours. Guess what, fuckers? Not everyone works nights! Some people work banker's hours, some people work overnights! Why the gently caress do you keep emailing me that WE NEED YOUR BLOOD COWSLIPS PLEASE and then send me a list of locales all over 15 miles away with appts open between 10am and 3pm? I won't take a day off loving work for you to jab me with needles! If you NEED something from someone, make yourself accessible!

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
People going five under the speed limit on a one lane road. And people who inexplicably speed up when you try to pass them because they were going too slow. GRR. Road rage, what's that?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

I just today heard some ladies at the gym discussing this exact thing. One was saying something like, "yeah they said it starts at 2, but you know no one is going to show up until 6!" Other lady was like, "Yeah I'm going to start getting ready at 5:30."

Ohhhhh my god, gently caress these people. Nothing bothers me quite like people who do this. It's just the epitome of inconsiderate assholeness. Why yes, I do want to start the party at a certain time because I only have so much time in the week to enjoy myself. This used to happen all the goddamned time with my old group of friends. I eventually got to the point of telling them it was an hour before it was supposed to be just so they'd show up vaguely on time.

I guess it bothers me a lot because I'm one of those people who like to arrive about ten to fifteen minutes before anything starts.

On another note, people who stand around in the middle of hallways. Dude, some of us are trying to get to other places. You and your friends can talk elsewhere. You're forming a clot in the artery that is this hallway. I have places to be, drat it!

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!

Leal posted:

People peeking over my shoulders when I'm looking at a screen. Computer screen or my cellphone's screen, I just want to elbow people in the mouth for that. Personal space AND privacy violations going on here, guys. Its like someone is listening in on a conversation I'm having. I actually bookmarked the goatman and pull him up when people start peeking over my shoulder.

I don't do this to people with tablets (due to the aforementioned increased likelihood of peeking into someone's horrible porn), but I turn into one of these assholes whenever there's a stranger with a book. I not only absolutely have to peek at the title, but if they're being clever and holding it against their knees or otherwise concealing it, I have to lurk over their shoulder and see if I can reference title and chapter headings on the page. I then judge them viciously based on their reading preferences. This is probably very annoying, but books are far more awesome than tablets and I can't help myself.

As for content: intentionally revolting anti-smoking advertisements. Clever filmmaking and sad people talking through voice boxes, okay, I can deal. The gleeful public presentation of tumors or gross, juicy medical photographs - no, gently caress you. This isn't because it grosses ME out - I have a fairly firm constitution. This is more for kids who get to watch people mutate into seeping melanoma monstrosities in their cartoon commercial breaks. To me, this is no different than picketers waving around pictures of aborted fetuses. And that's not even getting into the debate as to whether public health ad campaigns even work.

Feedback, positive or negative, without comment. If I pour all my worldly anxiety into something and then show it to you, the worst you could possibly do is say, "It's good", or "It sucks", and then just loving leave it at that. Why! What was good! What sucked! This is a vital part of the review process! It's just one more sentence!

People who try to one-up you on suffering. You complain that you're hot, and they just happen to live in Texas, or California, or Arkansas, or Gehenna, where it's 110 degrees Celsius, in the shade, on a good day. You complain that you only got three hours of sleep last night, and they spent the last 72 hours running a cross-universe marathon with an infant strapped to each limb. You complain about your medication, and they're actually legally dead and only kept animate by salvaged alien spaceship parts and sorcery. None of these admissions make you less hot, tired or sick. The fun part is getting two or three of these people in a circle, and just kind of casually mentioning that your feet hurt or your significant other is oblivious. It's like a roundabout of unlikely error.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Quiet Feet posted:

Speaking of unhelpful conversations, please don't ask me what is going to happen next in a movie we're both watching.

"Who's that? What's going on? What's he gonna do?"

I don't know, we are both viewing this movie for the first time, I am not a psychic. If you wait a few loving minutes maybe you'll find out because we are travelling forwards through the temporal stream and the movie will probably tell us.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

I eventually got to the point of telling them it was an hour before it was supposed to be just so they'd show up vaguely on time.

I mean I'm pretty sure this is what you're supposed to do. The worst is when you show up 45 minutes late, half feeling bad and half :smug: that you'll be showing up when things should theoretically start to really get going and woop, nope, surprise, you're the first one there!

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012
When someone pronounces a word weird, like instead of internet, they say innernet, and some rear end in a top hat is like "What's the 'innernet'? Do you mean the internet? :smug:"

quote:

Common White Girl ‏@girlposts now
someone: *says something*

me: breaks into a song with a word they just said

This makes me so mad, in real life and on the internet.

Doctor Doodler has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Jul 13, 2013

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Doctor Doodler posted:

When someone pronounces something a word weird, like instead of internet, they say innernet, and some rear end in a top hat is like "What's the 'innernet'? Do you mean the internet? :smug:"

I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce it "in-ter-net"

Oh also my pet peeve is when people forget words in their sentences. ;)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"Who's that? What's going on? What's he gonna do?"

I don't know, we are both viewing this movie for the first time, I am not a psychic. If you wait a few loving minutes maybe you'll find out because we are travelling forwards through the temporal stream and the movie will probably tell us.

Similarly, the people who treat actually watching movies/shows as secondary to talking about them.

Oh, I know that guy! What's his name? He's hot. Where have I seen him before? What else was he in? I think he was in that show, with the woman... with the hair... you know, uh... what was it called? You know what I'm talking about, right? It was on the CW, or was it still the WB then? It was five or six years ago...

Wait, what just happened? What's going on? This movie doesn't make any sense.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Jul 13, 2013

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

My twelve-year-old cousin. He can't/won't read silently to himself and instead reads in a really distracting mumble, makes these really creepy animalistic grunting sounds when he eats, and is That Goddamn Kid who tells you what just loving happened in a movie that you're watching.

"Hahahahaha, he almost fell off the cliff hahahahahahaha"

...yes, you little poo poo, I'm watching the same movie.

Also, he has absolutely no concept of boundaries and asks people if he can keep things of theirs that he likes.

Plankhandles
Oct 11, 2012

Running faucets with nobody tending to them. Even if they're only on while someone waits for the water to heat up, it just kills me. Something about the repetitive sound and the knowledge that the water is running and being 'wasted' drives me up a wall. Is this what it feels like to be a cranky-rear end grandpa who insists the lights be shut off if you leave a room for a nanosecond?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bertrand Hustle posted:

My twelve-year-old cousin.

Do we have the same cousin? Mine is also 12 and irritating as all loving get out. For example: Playing dumb, or not having basic "problem" solving skills. We were eating out, my uncle gives my cousin his credit card and ID. Cut to an argument with him insisting he doesn't know why his dad gave him those two things and his dad saying "Why else would I give you these things at a restaurant?" that lasts 5 minutes.

Your kid will be in college when he's 14 huh? Maybe you can throw some loving common sense classes while homeschooling him.

EDIT: And just now, god dammit kid. I opened a new package of hawaiin rolls, I left it open cause it was dinner and figured other people would appreciate not having to open the package to get a roll. So what does this kid do? Instead of just lifting the opening and pulling a roll out he proceeds to grab and lift the bag... from behind and almost dropped all the rolls onto the floor! You knew it was open! You SAW me do it! You watched me open the package and set it back down before you went and promptly grabbed it! God drat kid can you do ANYTHING right :argh:

Leal has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Jul 14, 2013

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
"Acrossed" instead of across.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I do get frustrated with my cousin sometimes. I think she's 13 now, and she plays intentionally stupid because it gets her more attention. She was pretty smart and did well in school until she was about 10, then she realized she could gently caress around, skip school, and basically be a worthless little poo poo, and it would gain her approval from her dumbass friends and attention from her parents. You can definitely see her playing the role of the ditz sometimes. "Hey Alex, can you grab me a Coke from the fridge?" And in the most valley-girl head-bob accent she can muster, "Siiiigh, what's a Coooke?" And it's such an ugly affectation that I wish I could ship her off to some private school where acting like an idiot wasn't the easiest way to get what you want.

runlegosleeprepeat posted:

"Acrossed" instead of across.

I just kind of assumed it was "acrost," maybe an archaic British-y thing like "whilst."

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
People who don't like rap/hip-hop and treat it like it's the worse form of music and it's responsible for everything wrong with this generation. Like the subject matter is stale or distasteful even though if you've ever listened to some horror core bands the subject matter is far worse. Also you can tell they don't focus on the lyricism which is one of the best parts about the genre. I know not everybody likes every genre and not every song is good but I don't think it's fair to judge something you don't know really know about.

Also people who complain about people saying yolo all the time. I've never heard anyone say yolo in real life but I see people complaining about it all the time. If you don't like the phrase, don't say it!

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Gaunab posted:

Also people who complain about people saying yolo all the time. I've never heard anyone say yolo in real life but I see people complaining about it all the time. If you don't like the phrase, don't say it!

You're lucky. Last year if I only heard that phrase once in person it was a good day.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Lava Lamp posted:

People going five under the speed limit on a one lane road. And people who inexplicably speed up when you try to pass them because they were going too slow. GRR. Road rage, what's that?

I hate it when people tailgate me when I am already going ten miles over the speed limit on a road where there are often speed traps and deer. I will slow down progressively until they back off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
A couple other peeves I am currently reminded of:

1. People who use the last of the toilet roll and don't bother to replace it. My mother did this. My spouse does this.

2. People who put back into the fridge empty food and drink containers (corollary: not telling me he's used the last of the butter. It may seem like a mild thing, but when I go to butter toast and lift the dish lid to discover you've scraped the tin clean....argh!!! Put the empty butter dish in the washing up basin so that I know to wash and refill it!)

3. This might sound strange; it's research related. It frustrates me to no end with using the internet to research on this one specific music act, going onto Google with a query/keyword, getting some interesting looking results, clicking, and finding that, goddamit, I've hit yet another message board post written by the group's empty-headed superfan again!!!

To explain: I sometimes write short articles on a particular, popular British music group, and I long ago gave up looking stuff up on the members' websites as there is this creepy superfan who apparently has nothing better to do that absolutely spam the message boards all day long. Nothing original to say; he simply copy-pastes stuff the group's publicist puts up, steals content from other users, leeches images, etc. If you want to look up tour dates or reviews of concerts, you have to put this guy on ignore otherwise you're scrolling past post after empty post of him doing the huge multi-nesting quotes (of his own stuff) or dancing smilie faces or an image-laden signature that fills up most of the screen.

Gah, sorry about the rant, but this twat is everywhere there is something posted about this group, and I'm currently working on a project. So every time I think I've found an interesting link on Google in answer to one of my own research forays, it's frustrating as gently caress to click on it, and it's yet another link to one of his useless message board posts. He's been banned from a number of sites for the constant thread-bombing, and other sites have just dried up as people drifted away because of his idiocy (half the time a thread will be him talking to himself; he will resurrect years-old zombie threads where people complained about him just to attention whore, etc.)

Edited to add -- this isn't a teenager or even a sad 20- or 30-something manchild. He's in his 60s and has been doing this for years.

• Locked thread