Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pikmin 1
Pikmin's original game released on the Nintendo Gamecube early in it's life. In the game you took control of the brave Captain Olimar after a meteor struck his space ship and stranded him on totally-not-Earth (it's Earth). Olimar himself is only about a inch or two tall and everything is scary as all hell, luckily for him he finds a red colored creature with a leaf on it's head. He dubs these creatures "Pikmin" due to their resemblance to PikPik carrots on his home world of Hocotate. Most amazing of all though this Pikmin instantly submits itself to his command!

After this amazing discovery he figures he's missing 30 crucial ship parts due to the meteor accident, and he has just enough oxygen in his suit to last him a equal 30 days.

Gameplay wise it plays almost like Nintendo's crack at an RTS, you could control up to 100 pikmin at a time, and throughout the game you could find other types of Pikmin that had their own unique skills (Red - 1.5x damage to enemies, can withstand fire. Yellow - Can be thrown super high, and can pick up bomb rocks. Blue - Can transverse water) using these you'd have to make use of the limited amount of time given to you to explore huge maps for your missing ship parts while dodging mutant monsters that want nothing more then to gorge themselves on your troops. Monsters in the first game ranged from Bulborbs, giant mushroom-like menaces with a tendency to fall asleep, Cannon Beetles that shoot magnetized boulders at you that track your suit, and Snargrets, giant terrifying bird-snake hybrids that drill through the ground surface to launch surprise attacks.

To get more Pikmin you had to take defeated enemies back to the Pikmin's own space ship (called Onions) to convert them to new troops. You could also get flower pellets that would work towards whatever color the item was. If it's a red 5 pellet and it gets taken in by red Pikmin you'd actually get 10 new Pikmin, while if a blue or yellow grabbed it they'd only get the promised 5.

Despite it's cult hit the game did show certain faults of being a early gamecube game. Limited amount of zones, a small roster of enemies, and not a lot was randomized. This all of course was fixed in...

Pikmin 2!! Nearly 3 years later Olimar has finally returned to his home planet only to find his company has taken on a massive debt. While Olimar was out of action stranded the President of his company had hired on a new recruit named Louie to get things done... only for Louie to get attacked and ambushed by a horrible monster making their last ditch effort a failure.

Olimar's ship, the Dolphin was then taken away and sold... Olimar stunned by this drops a bottle cap he had brought back from totally-not-Earth only for it to be analyzed as something that's worth a lot of money. The President then decides to send Olimar back to the Pikmin planet with Louie in tow to bring back more useless crap they could sell to get out of debt, using a smart talking ship the two set off for their quest to pimp as many real life companies as possible!

Pikmin 2 improved in just about every way on the original's concept. The 30 day time limit was removed and a ton of features were added including two new pikmin!
Purple - 2x Damage, homed in on enemies when thrown, Stunned enemies they landed on, and each one could lift something that would take 10 normal pikmin. They were also half the speed of a regular Pikmin (They were super broken.)
Whites - .5x Damage, Poisoned enemies when eaten, super fast, could dig up treasure burried underground, and even withstand toxic attacks!
The downside to the two was that they couldn't multiply via pellets or dead enemies and you had to convert Red's, Blue's and Yellow's in flowers called candypop buds to get them.

Most importantly though they added the cave system. Each region you went into would house a number of caverns that had piles upon piles of trademarked treasure in them. These caves had multiple levels to transverse and each had a theme... and more importantly they were all randomly generated (minus a few specific floors in a few specific caves) meaning the replayability was off the charts! The game was HUGE too! From upgrading your captains with boss items, to fighting the absolute boatload of bosses and monsters as well, I mean, while you can repay the debt in a few hours you'd only be about 20% through the game! AND you'd be missing out on the second part of the story and a ton of really intense challenges and genuinely memorable moments (Oh, hi Water Wraith)

Adding even further playtime to the game there's challenge mode that features custom maps and a hard limit of pikmin and tasks you with difficult trials to test how good you are at keeping all of your pikmin alive while solving puzzles. It's pretty intense later on.

There's even a... kind of strange multiplayer death match thing that's honestly kind of strange, you and a friend go head to head trying to kill each other and you can bring cherries back to your ship to spin a wheel and get power ups or spawn monsters on your friend. It was really weird and a lot of people didn't really get a chance to play it, but it was there!

Really I can't even begin gushing about how great the game was honestly, and it's a shame that it took Nintendo nearly 10 years to finally come out with...

Pikmin 3!!! The so called reason to own a wii-u by Miyamoto himself. The story surrounds a group of three captains named Alph, Brittany, and Charlie as they're sent off to the mysterious certainly not Earth planet PNF-404 in search of food. Their planet Koppai is on the brink of starvation and the three hope to find enough seeds from fruits to save their entire race.

Despite this, it doesn't have the same super strict time limit of Pikmin 1, while at the same time you can't loiter around doing absolutely nothing like in Pikmin 2. At the end of each day your captains will need to consume a single unit of juice, and you can only get juice by finding fruits in the wild. Plants will grow back after a number of days so in theory you could extend it as much as you want but if you fail, it's a good ol fashion game over.

Gameplay itself remains faithful, yet streamlined. Pikmin AI still manages to get caught up on walls at times if you blaze ahead of them but that's just a product of having 102 characters following you at all times really. Here's a quick list of things that have been somewhat changed.

All onions now combine into a single mega onion. You no longer have to run around the campsite deploying them all separately. Holding down a button will even let you pull out a even amount of pikmin across the board so you don't have to mess with several dials!

Purple's and White's are no longer in the campaign. They're now replaced with Rock Pikmin which cannot cling to enemies but can smash throw glass/crystal and be used to break armor on enemies (and deal massive throw damage) and Winged Pikmin that are small and somewhat frail, but as the name suggests can fly. They can carry large objects over water and reach hard to get places that even Yellows can't find.

Bomb Rocks return as tools! Now every color can carry and throw them, and when they explode they've been upgraded to kill literally ANYTHING in one shot of the radius that I know of anyway

Electricity is no longer a instant death for non yellows! Now when a pikmin gets shocked they just get sent flying and totally paralyzed for about 10 seconds (which means whatever shocked them has a chance to run over and murder them)

You can stop to go first person and take pictures with your wii-u gamepad to send to the miiverse, with how pretty the game is you may find this a lot of fun!

Several new enemies! Bulborbs with whip-like tongues that can snatch several up from a distance, the fearsome Vehemoth Phosbat boss that can turn invisible and stalk you in the darkness... only time you can see it is when it's eyes appear from the dark and many, MANY more, along with new body part weaknesses. You can now strike enemies in the eyes to blind and stun them or clip their wings to bring airborne enemies to the ground!

Single player isn't the only thing that got a total overhaul though. Multiplayer too!

Bingo Battle is a exciting (local only) multiplayer game mode that was somewhat in Pikmin 2 but it feels much less like a after thought here. One player can control Alph (and Brittany) or Olimar (and Louie) and work to fill out a bingo card given to them. Bingo cards have various enemies that must be killed, fruits to find, and Pikmin 2 items (marbles and such) to locate. You can once again get cherries and store them for spins on a attack roulette that hampers the other players in various ways. (There's radars you can put on items that scare enemy pikmin off, you can summon boulder storms on friends and spawn nasty beasts on them among other things). It looks really frantic and really fun.

Shame about the local only thing though.

Mission Mode holds a plethora of different levels and tests that you can tackle alone or with a friend (also local only). This mode features all seven pikmin types so Purples and Whites are here as well (and purples look just as broken). There's three different "modes" to play in this though.

Fruit Collection which is just as it sounds, you and a friend are dumped onto a map with a limited amount of Pikmin and a time limit and you're told to hurry and work together to get as much as you can while saving as many pikmin as you can. This one's all about time management.

Monster Hunting which once again is just what the title says where you and a friend if you choose are sent out on hunts to kill as many enemies as you can. Different monsters are worth different points and at the end of the day everything is tallied up for your high score.

Boss Battle which pits you and your pal against the games many MANY bosses to see how fast you can take them down... if at all! Arena's will have different gimmicks (electricity rings etc) so it's not just a port of single player fights.

Overall there's a whole lot new to this game and hey, if you have a Wii-U you certainly owe it to yourself to try it out.

Videos
E3 Trailer 2013
Don't attack my eyes
Random Gameplay from the Japanese site (showcases multiplayer modes/mission mode)

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
For some reason I never played Pikmin on Gamecube even though I love Nintendo and buy pretty much everything they make as a rule. So I picked up the New Play Control version and just finished it last night, and now I feel like an rear end in a top hat for skipping it back in the day. It's one of the most unique games I've ever played and yeah, it's pretty rough around the edges but still one of the better games of the PS2/GCN era. Also, fighting those big black Bulborb things with the crazy eyes was god drat creepy, someone should make a survival horror game set in the Pikmin world. Now I just have to try to finish Pikmin 2 before August.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A few things worth pointing out:

Pikmin 3 has a bunch of different control options, including:
-Wii Remote Plus/Nunchuk (recommended)
-Wii U Gamepad, both with or without the TV
-Wii U Pro Controller

The Gamepad displays a real-time map with unit movement that lets you quick-jump all over the place and do other useful junk; you can use it in conjunction with the other control schemes, or turn it off entirely and have some of the HUD stuff displayed on the TV. You can also use the Gamepad as a sensor bar for the Wiimote, too, I think.

Also, Pikmin 1/2 were both re-released for Wii with Wiimote/Nunchuk controls; these versions are quite cheap and easy to find and are the best way to play both games.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Pikmin 3 also continues the tradition of bringing back the loving Bulbears.

Bulbears are basically enemies with no set path and will literally go straight for your pikmin if it sees you, also little versions will follow it too.

God help me if they bring back the water wraith and gatling goink too.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Pikmin is one of my favorite video game series, and I bought a Wii U very close to launch specifically for Pikmin 3 (and that drat launch window promise :argh:), I'm so excited to finally get to play it!

Also relevant: Olimar confirmed to return for the new Smash Bros. in case any of you didn't see.

Pixeltendo posted:

Pikmin 3 also continues the tradition of bringing back the loving Bulbears.

Bulbears are basically enemies with no set path and will literally go straight for your pikmin if it sees you, also little versions will follow it too.

God help me if they bring back the water wraith and gatling goink too.

Yellow Wollywogs are the bane of my existence. Ruined a lot of really good days, and are the reason my 9 day Pikmin 1 run wound up being a 10 day. Getting hung up on one took up just enough time that, by the end of the day, I was just not able to get the last piece in Distant Spring to the rocket :byodood:

Right now I'm playing through some other games, once I'm done with these I think I'll go through Pikmin 1 and 2 again in anticipation of 3. I'll give another shot at the 9 day Pikmin 1 and 8 day Pikmin 2!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Pikmin 1 is one of those games I wish I got into earlier... I'm pretty terrible at strategy games, so I didn't really like the forced 30 in game day time limit when I played the original GCN version. However, I did fall in love with the Wiimake mostly because of the great controls, but the ability to reverse time (at the cost of losing any items you got between your last save and the day you revert back to) made the game a lot more fun for me even though I only had to do it once.

I haven't played the remake of Pikmin 2, but I remember the GCN game being pretty fun. I might have to pick that up and give it a playthrough since I've heard good things about it.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Gamepad displays a real-time map with unit movement that lets you quick-jump all over the place and do other useful junk; you can use it in conjunction with the other control schemes, or turn it off entirely and have some of the HUD stuff displayed on the TV. You can also use the Gamepad as a sensor bar for the Wiimote, too, I think.
I actually had the idea of doing Wiimote+Nunchuck with the touchscreen on the gamepad as an off-screen map for planning (much like the Tingle Tuner in Wind Waker) when the Wii U was announced and Pikmin 3 was confirmed being worked on by Miyamoto, so I'm happy to hear that it'll actually happen. I don't have a Wii U yet, but Pikmin 3 is one of the games that will make me want to get one if it's as good as it's looking so far.

Speaking of Wii U games coming out, Olimar is coming back in the next Smash Bros. There isn't any info about if he'll be any different than he was in Brawl, but the pictures make it look like he'll be pretty much the same or mostly similar.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's even a... kind of strange multiplayer death match thing that's honestly kind of strange, you and a friend go head to head trying to kill each other and you can bring cherries back to your ship to spin a wheel and get power ups or spawn monsters on your friend. It was really weird and a lot of people didn't really get a chance to play it, but it was there!

The Pikmin 2 multiplayer is so loving good and is secretly the best part of the game. The Idle Thumbs guys have been occasionally steaming it lately and watching it in action shows the weird amount of apparent effort the developers put into a mode that could have easily been an afterthought like the Metroid Prime 2 multiplayer.

I'm actually really bummed because Bingo Battle seems to be the only mode in Pikmin 3 and it doesn't look nearly as frantic or interesting as the head-to-head battle stuff in 2. It sounds silly because Pikmin is ostensibly a single player focused game but I'm way less excited about the game than I was before.

e: Hell, here's the first part of a crazy 9-part analysis of Pikmin 2's multiplayer that some dude wrote for a class or something which breaks down every little design decision and whether or not they're successful.

Fawf fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 13, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fawf posted:

I'm actually really bummed because Bingo Battle seems to be the only mode in Pikmin 3 and it doesn't look nearly as frantic or interesting as the head-to-head battle stuff in 2. It sounds silly because Pikmin is ostensibly a single player focused game but I'm way less excited about the game than I was before.

I imagine all the different co-op modes will break down the scores for each player at the end, so they'll probably end up being competitive in the same manner as NSMB or Four Swords or whatever.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

MissileWaster posted:

Also relevant: Olimar confirmed to return for the new Smash Bros. in case any of you didn't see.

Here's a pic

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pikmin 2 is one of my favorite games ever. I have no idea how much time I put into it or why exactly it appealed to me so much but drat it's an awesome game. Unfortunately it took Nintendo so long to finish Pikmin 3 (I waited nine years :argh:) that it's now on a system I don't own, and there are already more games than I have time to play on PC so I'm probably not going to get a Wii U for it.

It's just disappointing after how long they had to release on GCN or Wii. But I guess the game's graphics and engine have benefited from the hardware at least.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I randomly rented Pikmin from a store when I was a kid. I loved the game so much I bought a copy of it before my rental was even up. It's just such a charming game full of so many neat creatures and settings. I loved it so much. These games are a big part of what got me involved in biology. One of my favorite things about Pikmin 2 was getting to read Olimar's field science reports about all the bizzare life on that planet. They had people sit down and look at each enemy, then think about what place they would have in the weird bizzare ecosystem that had taken hold of earth. People actually thought about the lives of floating ballon bugs that spit bombs and giant frogs with a burning desire to squash everything.

And then you beat the game and get to read Louie's hosed up ideas about cooking bugs :shepface:

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!
I'm excited for Pikmin 3 but I wish there was some co-operative multiplayer in the campaign, just for a second player to control one of the other captains in a splitscreen mode, that would have been great. As far as I can see there's nothing like that. Oh well.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Internet Kraken posted:

And then you beat the game and get to read Louie's hosed up ideas about cooking bugs :shepface:

Half of them talk about dipping sauce or how you'll be stuck in a bathroom for days.

Louie was kind of weird.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Half of them talk about dipping sauce or how you'll be stuck in a bathroom for days.

Louie was kind of weird.

Don't many of the log entries you can get while you're still paying off the loan suggest that Louie's actually a competent cook?

It's been a while since I last played 2 and this thread it making me super want to go through again (and actually rescue Louie this time!).

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Louie was awesome and I hope he's in Pikmin 3 in some capacity. Also they should make him and these three new captains alternate skins for Olimar in Smash!

Internet Kraken posted:

I randomly rented Pikmin from a store when I was a kid. I loved the game so much I bought a copy of it before my rental was even up. It's just such a charming game full of so many neat creatures and settings. I loved it so much. These games are a big part of what got me involved in biology. One of my favorite things about Pikmin 2 was getting to read Olimar's field science reports about all the bizzare life on that planet. They had people sit down and look at each enemy, then think about what place they would have in the weird bizzare ecosystem that had taken hold of earth. People actually thought about the lives of floating ballon bugs that spit bombs and giant frogs with a burning desire to squash everything.

If you enjoyed those notes in Pikmin 2, you may be interested in the notes at the back of the Nintendo Power strategy guide for Pikmin 1! I took pictures and transcribed the text for a Pikmin LP by Faceguy a few years back, and it's archived right here!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ernie Muppari posted:

Don't many of the log entries you can get while you're still paying off the loan suggest that Louie's actually a competent cook?

It's been a while since I last played 2 and this thread it making me super want to go through again (and actually rescue Louie this time!).

Yeah, he's presented as a surprisingly fantastic chef.

Also go save Louie, the plot gets kind of crazy!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm a huge sucker for these kinds of things in games and Pikmin2's was about the best ever, beating out even FFXII's insanely detailed bestiary with cool original artwork. I am so hoping something like it comes back in Pikmin 3, maybe with the new captains bickering about the discoveries in the log or something.

Any goons in Japan playing this already? It's out there today right? With PAL and US getting it later this month and early next month I think.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 13, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I first picked up Pikmin as like the second game when I got a gamecube. I got up to the Forest Navel, being totally stressed out the whole time and then had my entire squad converted to mushrooms by the Puffstool. Infuriated (and not realizing they'd be alright if I avoided them for long enough) I shut off the game and later sold it. I thought I'd never play Pikmin again.

Several years later I heard someone raving about Pikmin 2 and heard that it got rid of the time limit. I was tempted again and fortunately decided to pick up the first game first and give it another shot. This time I went carefully and spent a full day in each level just looking around with Olimar and no Pikmin and planning meticulously what I would do in what order. While it took me 25 of the days to do it I finally beat the game and realized what I'd been missing. I bought Pikmin 2 right away.

I love these games so much. They're filled with such an abundance of cleverness and creativity. From the unique gameplay to the awesome writing of Olimar's and Louie's logs and the Ship's sales pitches everything is basically perfect and polished.

I can't wait for Pikmin 3. Hopefully I can actually find someone to do the multiplayer with me this time, since my brother adamantly refused to ever try these games when we were teenagers.

Also I only realized that the captains from this game were from a different planet than Hocotate recently. I wonder if this game will tie in at all with our heroes from the other two.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
This is the game I bought a Wii U for, I loved Pikmin 2 that much. 1 was pretty cool but 2 is easily oneof , if not my absolute favourite game of all time. Obviously the games shown at this year's E3 helped motivate that purchase, but Pikmin 3 was the dealbreaker (as I didn't realize it was coming out so soon).

Am kind of disappointed that according to the OP, whites and purples aren't in the main campaign but at the same time, I'm kind of relieved; managing your numbers for those Pikmin in 2 was awkward at times and honestly made losing them all the more frustrating when you actually needed them (needing whites for buried treasure comes to mind). It was the one thing I didn't like much in Pikmin 2, and seeing from footage that Rockmin/Flying Pikmin can be produced via capsules etc makes me breathe a sigh of relief.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ernie Muppari posted:

He was a competent cook, but he had a problem where he was always trying to cook everything. If you dragged it onto the ship, he would try and cook it. Dude looks at a hideous, bloated predator and thinks "drat, I bet you could cut up that tongue and mash it on some crackers and it would be delicious".

Half the stuff he talks about sounds delicious, the other half makes you wonder how he hasn't killed himself via food poisoning.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
My first introduction to Pikmin was when my mom went on a trip and brought the first game back as a present for me. Best mom. :allears:

One of my absolute favorite parts of the second game was reading the mountains of incidental text for everything in the game. From Olimar's log to Louie's recipes to the ship's sales pitches.

The Wicked Wall posted:

Am kind of disappointed that according to the OP, whites and purples aren't in the main campaign but at the same time, I'm kind of relieved; managing your numbers for those Pikmin in 2 was awkward at times and honestly made losing them all the more frustrating when you actually needed them (needing whites for buried treasure comes to mind). It was the one thing I didn't like much in Pikmin 2, and seeing from footage that Rockmin/Flying Pikmin can be produced via capsules etc makes me breathe a sigh of relief.

Don't forget the agony that was grinding for purples. Doomsday Apparatus is the bane of my existance. :argh:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

MissileWaster posted:

Louie was awesome and I hope he's in Pikmin 3 in some capacity.

I think they confirmed that Louie will appear in the Multiplayer. Not sure if he'll show up in the main story but supposedly, he's playable in multiplayer.

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 13, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SilverSupernova posted:

I think they confirmed that Louie will appear in the Multiplayer. Not sure if he'll show up in the main story but supposedly, he's playable in multiplayer.

Mentioned in the OP but in Bingo Battle you can have 1v1 which is just Alph vs Olimar, or you can make it so you can both control two captains. Alph and Brittany vs Olimar and Louie.

Also there are golden files you can pick up in the campaign that give you the tutorial messages (Reds are good against fire etc) that are actually written by Olimar. It even features his drawings from pikmin 1! (Some drawings show him Louie and the President all adventuring together!)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Pikmin is what made me get a GameCube on launch. Something about the preview trailers and Nintendo's Spaceworld presentation just caught my amazement and I needed to own it. And it didn't disappoint; I got Rogue Leader and SSBM with my 'Cube as well, but Pikmin ruled my life for months. I still blow through it a few weekends a year because it's just a really great game.

And Pikmin 2 is my favorite GameCube game, period. It is perfect. I love that it's challenging, but I love that you can't 'game over'. I love the Purple and White Pikmin, I love Challenge Mode, I love absolutely everything about Pikmin 2. It's magical.

Pikmin 3 may force me to buy a Wii U and skip out on the PS4 and Xbone if it's even half as good as 1 or especially 2 were.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dijon du jour posted:

Don't forget the agony that was grinding for purples. Doomsday Apparatus is the bane of my existance. :argh:

This wasn't so bad once I realized that subterranean complex (or whatever the cave with Man-At-Legs is called) has 3 respawning purple flowers, so unless you hosed up terribly with your purples you probably only need two or three quick trips there to 100. That treasure is still a pain though.

Other than the obvious Water Wraith, what bosses did you guys hate the most? Man At Legs terrified me as a kid because I was awful at fighting him. First time I saw him I didn't know what to expect and was shocked when the spindly bastard mowed down half my army effortlessly. The game has a lot of bizzare enemies but I still wasn't expecting one to bring a gun to a pikmin fight.

VVV Water Wraith is a complete pushover, but getting to the point where you can actually fight him is nervewracking. Submerged Castle holds a really peculiar place in my heart as being both terribly and amazingly designed at the same time.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 13, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Funnily enough, as terrifying as the Water Waith is for most of the cave (and he is loving terrifying, even today), the actual fight with him isn't that bad. :v:
I'm seconding that Man-At-Legs is the hardest boss. I actually had to make several goes at him.

Because we're only apparently collecting food in this game: I hope the game can match the many different kinds of treasures in Pikmin 2 with just fruit. The excitement of finding and collecting all the different treasures was a major part of the game for me.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 13, 2013

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Internet Kraken posted:

Other than the obvious Water Wraith, what bosses did you guys hate the most?

Ranging Bloyster. The method you beat it without using stone sprays made it take ages to deal with, constantly switching captains to throw a few onto it before they're shaken off. Also, if you screwed up the multiple tongues would make you pay for it. Ugh.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Wicked Wall posted:

Ranging Bloyster. The method you beat it without using stone sprays made it take ages to deal with, constantly switching captains to throw a few onto it before they're shaken off. Also, if you screwed up the multiple tongues would make you pay for it. Ugh.

Oh man, I forgot about that rear end in a top hat. First time I fought him I didn't get his gimmick at all, and I was so confused I just fed him all my white pikmen so he would die from poison. It took so many too :smithicide:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Wicked Wall posted:

Funny enough he's the only one who didn't drive me crazy when I was younger. I kept losing pikmin to most of the bosses so having one that just sat there and took a beating was thrilling for me.

Best boss though was the final-final one. The Titan Dweevil killed EVERYONE in my group minus a single purple and like 15 yellows and a few random colors. I was just barely able to carry the spoils of battle back because of that single surviving purple pikmin.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

I just ordered the New Play Control Pikmin from Gamestop. I beat the Gamecube version a long long time ago, and I'm hoping this can get me interested in the series again. I've heard the Wiimote + Nunchuck controls work really well for the series.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think the Water Wraith dungeon is absolutely brilliantly designed. The floors are designed in such a way that you should be able to clear, or get very close to clearing, the earlier levels before the Wraith arrives. But the later ones get more and more complex until you'll still probably be carrying treasures fairly long distances at the time it arrives. Then it becomes a terrifying game of trying to bait him out to follow one captain away from the carriers while the other cowers in a relatively safe spot and oh god oh god why have you lost interest in me no drop that ham you fools drop it and run

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I will never forgive Pikmin 2 for taking away my beloved ship I worked so hard to rebuild and replacing it with that greedy mechanical rear end in a top hat.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Segmented Crawbster was the one boss from 2 that I don't think I ever tried to fight the normal way. It only appeared once in the whole game, on the last floor of the Cavern of Chaos, and it was just so difficult to maneuver around the falling boulders while still finding time to attack during its vulnerable time that I always just used a bunch of bitter sprays and cheesed it once it fell over the first time.

The Ranging Bloyster is a lot easier to fight without sprays or awkward micromanagement once you realize that the captain you aren't controlling has some limited AI of his own when separated and will move out of the away of attacks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Regy Rusty posted:

I think the Water Wraith dungeon is absolutely brilliantly designed. The floors are designed in such a way that you should be able to clear, or get very close to clearing, the earlier levels before the Wraith arrives. But the later ones get more and more complex until you'll still probably be carrying treasures fairly long distances at the time it arrives. Then it becomes a terrifying game of trying to bait him out to follow one captain away from the carriers while the other cowers in a relatively safe spot and oh god oh god why have you lost interest in me no drop that ham you fools drop it and run

On one hand I agree with you, a lot about is brilliant. On the other hand having done it multiple times I know that it is absolutely not fun in the slightest. Even once you figure out the dungeon's gimmick, the reality is that you can't get every treasure before the wraith shows up to squash you. So to get all the treasure, you have to visit the dungeon multiple times. That means getting your blue pikmin, hiking all the way across the Perplexing Poool, gathering as much treasure as you can on each floor, and then doing the whole thing over again since you're gonna miss something. It's the part I always did last because I never enjoyed doing it.

I'll never forget it's weird as hell music though.

Rhinoceraptor posted:

I will never forgive Pikmin 2 for taking away my beloved ship I worked so hard to rebuild and replacing it with that greedy mechanical rear end in a top hat.

You just can't appreciate his genius :mitt:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Internet Kraken posted:

On one hand I agree with you, a lot about is brilliant. On the other hand having done it multiple times I know that it is absolutely not fun in the slightest. Even once you figure out the dungeon's gimmick, the reality is that you can't get every treasure before the wraith shows up to squash you. So to get all the treasure, you have to visit the dungeon multiple times. That means getting your blue pikmin, hiking all the way across the Perplexing Poool, gathering as much treasure as you can on each floor, and then doing the whole thing over again since you're gonna miss something. It's the part I always did last because I never enjoyed doing it.

You can still get treasures after the Water Wraith shows up on a floor, it's just difficult and very, very harrowing. I've done it, though. You have to learn where the Wraith will and will not go so you know where to hide until it loses interest in you and rolls elsewhere in the level so you can run out and move the treasure as much as you can before he comes back. Also: get the treasure furthest away from the ship first.
It's not the game's fault you had less fun by taking the wussy way out. :smugbert:

GCValentine
Oct 25, 2007
Important Event

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

After this amazing discovery he figures he's missing 30 crucial ship parts due to the meteor accident, and he has just enough oxygen in his suit to last him a equal 30 days.

One of the clues that not-earth actually is earth is that the atmosphere contains oxygen. Oxygen is poisonous to Olimar though, this is the game reason for the 30 day time limit.

This is literally the only thing I remember about pikmin

GCValentine fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 13, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

That's not true at all. The experience I just described (the leading the Wraith away from your carriers part) and the fun of the Submerged Castle in my opinion is getting the remaining treasures even with the Wraith bearing down on you. In all the times I've played Pikmin 2 I've never left a dungeon without getting all the treasures in it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Youtube journalist(?) GameXplain is doing a quasi-playthrough. He's not the best but certainly not the worst.

Just realize it's commentated and he can't read Japanese. Also watch out as in a few days I fully expect a spoiler thumbnail of the final boss on his channel. (He has a apparent reputation for it)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I love everything about Pikmin 1 and 2, and I hope Pikmin 3 lives up to it.

Part of it is the atmosphere. Everything was so pretty and the music was so nice. Like the petals falling in the Awakening woods and the little sun puddles. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Youtube journalist(?) GameXplain is doing a quasi-playthrough. He's not the best but certainly not the worst.

Just realize it's commentated and he can't read Japanese. Also watch out as in a few days I fully expect a spoiler thumbnail of the final boss on his channel. (He has a apparent reputation for it)
Goddamn, I'd seen trailers and screenshots, but it didn't really hit me how beautiful this game is until I saw it during regular ol' gameplay.

• Locked thread