Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Maybe not the place for this but it's to do with London and food...

Was walking with the missus on Hampstead Heath yesterday and an older guy walked past with a bag full of little langoustine/lobster/strange crustacean things that he claimed to have picked from the pond. Apparently you need special permission?

Was he:
A) Having a laugh and bought them at a fishmonger
B) Insane
C) Poaching freshwater crustaceans
D) All of the above

Edit: Just searched 'Hampstead Pond Crustaceans' and apparently they are crayfish that have been there for a while. People do poach them.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ineptmule posted:

Maybe not the place for this but it's to do with London and food...

Was walking with the missus on Hampstead Heath yesterday and an older guy walked past with a bag full of little langoustine/lobster/strange crustacean things that he claimed to have picked from the pond. Apparently you need special permission?

Was he:
A) Having a laugh and bought them at a fishmonger
B) Insane
C) Poaching freshwater crustaceans
D) All of the above

Edit: Just searched 'Hampstead Pond Crustaceans' and apparently they are crayfish that have been there for a while. People do poach them.

Crayfish, as a second of googling would have confirmed.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9556028/Crayfish-invade-Hampstead-Heath.html
I don't know the legality of catching them but as they are highly invasive I think it should be encouraged.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Hampstead Heath ponds are infested with American crayfish. They're vermin, but you do need a license to catch them.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Seems the risk is that they will spread elsewhere if people are encouraged to catch and remove.

I guess my freshwater bio sucks because I thought crayfish were more like squid. Thinking of cuttlefish probably.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Kaiho posted:

Have you not been to Duke's yet?

I saw a pretty damming review of this place, is it good?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
What are everyone's favourite lunch options in the City? I still haven't really found anything all that exciting.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Can you be more specific about an area? The City is generally brilliant for lunch places though.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
:siren: FIVE GUYS QUEUE REPORT

(from @tehbus )

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

(from @tehbus )

That's stupid.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
the only food i will queue for in London is Pit Stop Café

(i might have to try that frozen custard from shake shack 2moro though)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Its good to be back..

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

therattle posted:

That's stupid.

He's been in that queue for over an hour now. There are enough people to make this happen. THAT'S INSANE.

Senor_Happy
Jun 17, 2005

Oh my god, why did I take the whole bottle of pills?

sweek0 posted:

What are everyone's favourite lunch options in the City? I still haven't really found anything all that exciting.

If near Bank then City Caphe and Tsuru are always good bets, as well as Kerb by the Gherkin on Thurs and Fri, or Street Kitchen in Broadgate Circle the rest if the time.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

by.a.teammate posted:

I saw a pretty damming review of this place, is it good?

Frankly, excellent. Run by people who genuinely care, plus with beer specifically brewed to complement the dishes. Hella better than Bodean's.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Neris posted:

He's been in that queue for over an hour now. There are enough people to make this happen. THAT'S INSANE.

But it's fast food! People should be in and out in 5 minutes!

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

peanut- posted:

Can you be more specific about an area? The City is generally brilliant for lunch places though.

Right next to the Gherkin is where I work.
The Japanese Canteen is alright, and there are shitloads of burrito places. But I could really do with some new ideas.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Frankly, excellent. Run by people who genuinely care, plus with beer specifically brewed to complement the dishes. Hella better than Bodean's.

Excellent! shall give it a go, Giles Coren gave it a pretty nasty review but then again he's more a columnist rather than food critic :)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

sweek0 posted:

The Japanese Canteen is alright, and there are shitloads of burrito places. But I could really do with some new ideas.

Not part of the city I know that well, but Pardoe & Wood is a nice little place.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

by.a.teammate posted:

Giles Coren gave it a pretty nasty review but then again he's more a oval office rather than food critic :)

Fixed for accuracy. ;)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Going to Lemonia tonight, day of awesome food continues.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2008/jul/04/jayraynerreviewslemonia

If you ever need a place that will seat like 20 hungry people without a problem, place is perfect

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

sweek0 posted:

Pilpel in Spitalfields is my falafel fix. Nude on Hanbury for sit down brunching. Exmouth and Love In A Cup for coffee (near Whitechapel Gallery). Exmouth has amazing baked sweets.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Neris posted:

(from @tehbus )

Dammit, I'm going to guess Shake Shack will be similar tomorrow.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

@hotdinners says that people in the queue are gonna get something sweet to tide them over while they wait, if that's any consolation! Though I think this might apply to the insane 10am queue only.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

@hotdinners says that people in the queue are gonna get something sweet to tide them over while they wait, if that's any consolation! Though I think this might apply to the insane 10am queue only.

They deserve no reward for their idiocy.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

peanut- posted:

Not part of the city I know that well, but Pardoe & Wood is a nice little place.

Just went there - that was really drat good! Had their African curry and it doesn't taste mass produced, has some great spices in there and comes with a great bread roll. Prices are reasonable, too.

Thanks for all the tips anyway! Will try a few others soon.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
AHT has a write up on Shake Shack today.
http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/07/first-look-shake-shack-opens-today-in-london-covent-garden.html

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

sweek0 posted:

Just went there - that was really drat good! Had their African curry and it doesn't taste mass produced, has some great spices in there and comes with a great bread roll. Prices are reasonable, too.

Glad you liked it, it's a nice place. Their soups are very good.

quote:

AHT has a write up on Shake Shack today.
http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives...ent-garden.html

I can't wait. I went to the Madison Square Park one when it was still the only branch and it blew my mind.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I must have this in my life (from the Shake Shack article)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Ha! Said almost the exact same words when I saw that pic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm wondering whether to try and get there today as I'll be in town...

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Ended up going after work; line wasn't bad at 5:30pm (maybe 20 minutes?) but it was worse by ~6:30pm when I left.

Deeeeeelicious. :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

angelicism posted:

Ended up going after work; line wasn't bad at 5:30pm (maybe 20 minutes?) but it was worse by ~6:30pm when I left.

Deeeeeelicious. :3:

The line for both Five Guys and Shake Shack are ridiculously long right now.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
I really want to go get a concrete after work but I don't want to wait in line :(

I tried Dirty Burger for the first time on Saturday and wasn't blown away, it's good but nothing amazing. It was also about 45 degrees inside and my man friend left about two thirds of his pint because we just wanted to get the gently caress out of there.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Nobody got trip report on Five guys yet?

I'm almost over my weekend hangover enough to brave the queues.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

Nobody got trip report on Five guys yet?

I'm almost over my weekend hangover enough to brave the queues.

I'm thinking about trying Wednesday. Considering I'm fairly dismissive of them when they're home in the US, we'll see how they fare here.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
I'm going on Friday for a late lunch, hopefully it will be quiet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The queues have vanished from Five Guys! I just walked right in and ordered! They have Dr Pepper as a soda option! The burger is surprisingly good, although it could use a little more seasoning, to be honest. I've had mine bunless and without fries because I'm going keto at the moment, so they wrapped it in about half a lettuce for me. :3:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I went last night, was good - although I've not been keeping up to date with burger developments lately for comparison.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Satsuma on Wardour St appears to have closed down. When I went a couple of weeks ago it appeared to thriving still. Anyone know anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Alas, that's a shame... Always liked that place although admittedly I haven't eaten there for ages.