Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Paris, Texas is a perfect film that you have all somehow ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Paris, Texas is a perfect film that you have all somehow ignored.
Wim Wenders is a a fairly prolific director with a extremely varied (and uneven) catalogue, but Paris, Texas (1984) is definitely one of his best. In fact the only Wenders film I'd put above it is Im Lauf der Zeit (1976) (unfortunately difficult to find in North America), and everything else a substantial step below them. Wings of Desire (1987) is the film he'll be remembered for, but while it's a good film, I have a sneaking suspicion I think it's mostly because the film oozes with all the trappings of being An Important Foreign Film---filmed in black and white, shamelessly allegorical, elaborately existential, and so on.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

SubG posted:

Wim Wenders is a a fairly prolific director with a extremely varied (and uneven) catalogue, but Paris, Texas (1984) is definitely one of his best. In fact the only Wenders film I'd put above it is Im Lauf der Zeit (1976) (unfortunately difficult to find in North America), and everything else a substantial step below them. Wings of Desire (1987) is the film he'll be remembered for, but while it's a good film, I have a sneaking suspicion I think it's mostly because the film oozes with all the trappings of being An Important Foreign Film---filmed in black and white, shamelessly allegorical, elaborately existential, and so on.

Paris makes a good companion piece with Alice In The Cities, which I'd put on a similar level. I'm in the minority on that, though. (And I need to watch more Wenders in general.)

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Old Ash posted:

The Repo Man packaging is so awesome. May just be my favorite thing they've done, aesthetic-wise. It's just packed with stuff and looks so cool.

Welp that just seals the deal for what to blow my gift card on. I do really love the cover for it.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Old Ash posted:

The Repo Man packaging is so awesome. May just be my favorite thing they've done, aesthetic-wise. It's just packed with stuff and looks so cool.

I think it's the only Criterion release I own where I actually read all of the inserts, watched the supplements and listened to the commentary. It was all great.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ThetaOmnikron posted:

Thoughts on blind-buying two or three of these on bluray? Wings of Desire; Paris, Texas; Night of the Hunter; Safety Last; Medium Cool; Naked; The Killing; Thin Red Line.

Ranked:

1. Night of the Hunter
2. Naked
3. The Killing
4. Thin Red Line
5. Wings of Desire
6. Safety Last
7. Medium Cool
8. Paris, Texas

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A quick question:
Is it at all possible to play Criterion DVDs on a European playstation 3?

I just bought a bunch of movies but forgot to take into account that my old player, which could play some region 1 movies for some mysterious reason, broke a few months back. I've been to a store that sells really expensive DVDs and it had Criterion blu-rays marked as unplayable but not the DVDs so I'm not really sure if I need to get myself a multi-region player or not.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SubG posted:

Im Lauf der Zeit is the one that opens with the guy making GBS threads on the side of the road?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Im Lauf der Zeit is the one that opens with the guy making GBS threads on the side of the road?
Yeah, it's the one with the on-screen pooping.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Today I went to Wendy's and bought:

Grilled chicken sandwich (no honey mustard)
Small chili
Diet Coke

I know this is all fun & games, but I do look forward to seeing what others have purchased - it gets me to think about & research other films in the collection I would have otherwise overlooked. Same goes for seeing others' DVD collections, how they organize them, etc... where did that "Post your Collection" thread go anyway?

On that note, I haven't had Wendy's in far too long - those A&W buddy burgers are too good to pass up.

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 11, 2013

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

My workplace started furloughs this week and I decided to skip out on the Criterion sale in an effort to conserve cash. Everyone enjoy Safety Last for me. It's gonna be a few months before I can safely get away with splurging on movies. :smith:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SubG posted:

Yeah, it's the one with the on-screen pooping.

Unfortunately, I remember very little of it aside from that, but remember like every frame of Agnes Varda's Vagabond.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

FreudianSlippers posted:

A quick question:
Is it at all possible to play Criterion DVDs on a European playstation 3?

I just bought a bunch of movies but forgot to take into account that my old player, which could play some region 1 movies for some mysterious reason, broke a few months back. I've been to a store that sells really expensive DVDs and it had Criterion blu-rays marked as unplayable but not the DVDs so I'm not really sure if I need to get myself a multi-region player or not.

Criterion's discs are Region A locked, Europe is Region B so no

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I think Safety Last! is a safe bet no matter what. I can't picture someone watching that and not loving it. I had the privilege of seeing the newly restored digital print in a theater two weeks ago and I fell in love with the movie immediately. And on top of that the restoration work is absolutely beautiful. It's hard to believe how old the movie is when you look at it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

CPL593H posted:

I think Safety Last! is a safe bet no matter what. I can't picture someone watching that and not loving it. I had the privilege of seeing the newly restored digital print in a theater two weeks ago and I fell in love with the movie immediately. And on top of that the restoration work is absolutely beautiful. It's hard to believe how old the movie is when you look at it.

I just got this the other day so I eagerly await watching it.

Today I finished out my binge and changed up some of my choices based on some thread recommendations and other stuff:
A Night to Remember
M
Shock Corridor
Black Orpheus
Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Richard III
The Rules of the Game
Naked
Late Spring
Ivan's Childhood
Days of Heaven
By Brakhage
Everlasting Moments
America Lost and Found
Le Havre
Eating Raoul
Marketa Lazarova

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

It helps that Carl Davis composed an outstanding score for the film. His work is always excellent, but it really lifts the film to another level.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Island Nation posted:

Criterion's discs are Region A locked, Europe is Region B so no

Well thank god 99% of DVD players these days, even the really cheap ones you can buy at the supermarket, play all regions. Sadly if I want to watch Criterion blurays I'll have to order a player from America which would just be a mess of red-tape, customs and electrical sockets.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hewlett posted:

I just got this the other day so I eagerly await watching it.

Today I finished out my binge and changed up some of my choices based on some thread recommendations and other stuff:
A Night to Remember
M
Shock Corridor
Black Orpheus
Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Richard III
The Rules of the Game
Naked
Late Spring
Ivan's Childhood
Days of Heaven
By Brakhage
Everlasting Moments
America Lost and Found
Le Havre
Eating Raoul
Marketa Lazarova

What's it like to have stupid amounts of money?

Egbert Souse posted:

It helps that Carl Davis composed an outstanding score for the film. His work is always excellent, but it really lifts the film to another level.

Oh god yes. It nailed the tone of the movie.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

CPL593H posted:

What's it like to have stupid amounts of money?.

To be fair to them with 50% off that's about the cost of 8 movies. A lot of people easily buy 8 movies a year, so doing it all at once when there's a good sale isn't that crazy. I know I don't buy any Criterions unless there's a 50% off sale now.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

mod sassinator posted:

To be fair to them with 50% off that's about the cost of 8 movies. A lot of people easily buy 8 movies a year, so doing it all at once when there's a good sale isn't that crazy. I know I don't buy any Criterions unless there's a 50% off sale now.

Right, I've basically been saving up for this sale. Also, I'm irresponsible with my money.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I have to sit out this time. The last time there was a 50% off Criterion sale at B&N, this happened:

:smithicide:

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I wonder how much money Criterion makes in their current business model vs. old.

Personally, in college I spent tons of money on Criterion movies, blind buying things like a madman. Nowadays I almost never buy them, and when I do I wait until these 50% sales and only for movies I've seen and loved and/or want to see the special features on. But even my buying is way down since most of their product is on Hulu. But that also means I'm paying for Hulu every month, and by being a feature of Hulu I'm guessing they've got a lot more mainstream exposure now.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Disclaimer: Everything written here is an assumption.

Criterion isn't usually the business selling their discs at half off, Barnes and Noble, Amazon and Best Buy are the stores doing that. Given that the stores have to purchase stock from Criterion, I'd imagine that Criterion is actually doing quite well off of these sales. The vendor purchases a ton of discs to sell from Criterion at normal prices and then marks them down enough so they're not losing money and selling them at a much higher volume. Because that's more discs sold, I can't imagine that they're doing poorly with their current business model.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Cloks posted:

Disclaimer: Everything written here is an assumption.

Criterion isn't usually the business selling their discs at half off, Barnes and Noble, Amazon and Best Buy are the stores doing that. Given that the stores have to purchase stock from Criterion, I'd imagine that Criterion is actually doing quite well off of these sales. The vendor purchases a ton of discs to sell from Criterion at normal prices and then marks them down enough so they're not losing money and selling them at a much higher volume. Because that's more discs sold, I can't imagine that they're doing poorly with their current business model.

Criterion did send an email advertising this sale though, so though they aren't holding it, they are helping to push it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

They also promoted it on twitter. It's a marketing push as much as a sale.

I think streaming expands their audience and doesn't cut into the disc business very much. 40% of the Hulu catalog is online only and you can't stream special features. They provide different values.

Criterion stuff is really expensive if you just want to see the movie and most sales probably come from people who already liked something enough to pay for special features and a physical copy. New audiences are not buying Three Colors when they can rent the trilogy for under :10bux:.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Couldn't resist and went to a b&n with my girlfriend tonight. Here's what I picked up:

Godzilla
3:10 to Yuma
Things to Come
Rosemary's Baby

I haven't seen 3:10 to Yuma (loved the remake, though) or Things to Come (heard some good things). Any goon impressions of these titles?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Mods, I hope this is OK. I figured before I post in SA Mart, I would post here.

I have a shitload of Criterions that I am selling. Each watched 2 or 3 times at most. I'm moving. Do I have permission to do a quick firesale here or should I just make the list in SA Mart?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

i am not so sure posted:

Mods, I hope this is OK. I figured before I post in SA Mart, I would post here.

I have a shitload of Criterions that I am selling. Each watched 2 or 3 times at most. I'm moving. Do I have permission to do a quick firesale here or should I just make the list in SA Mart?

Do you have the Man Who Fell to Earth Blu-ray? Because I'll buy that from you.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
How much are you selling them for?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I will do $12 plus shipping for regulars and $15 plus shipping for BR. Is that decent?

I will just make a list.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

DVD (12 plus shipping):
The Silence
Through A Glass Darkly
Ingmar Bergman Makes A Movie
Cries and Whispers
Seven Samurai
8 1/2
Sword of Doom
Scenes From A Marriage ($30 plus shipping)
The Third Man OOP ($40 plus shipping)
Pierrot Le Fou
The Milky Way

BLU-RAY (15 plus shipping):
Hunger
Videodrome
In the Realm of the Senses
Days of Heaven
The Thin Red Line
Yojimbo/Sanjuro ($25 plus shipping)
Three Colors ($30 plus shipping)
El Norte
The 400 Blows
Diabolique
Close-Up
The Seventh Deal
For All Mankind
Sweet Smell of Success
Antichrist
The Wages of Fear
M
Black Narcissus
Paris, Texas
Wings of Desire
The Double Life of Veronique

5 Blus for $70 flat
5 DVD for $60 flat

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 15, 2013

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I would also sell the entire set for $500 even.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

E: Nevermind.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Oh what the hell, I'll go for Marienbad.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I do not want to derail. There is my list, first come first serve. I wanna sell all of them ASAP. You can email me at thebestbrent@hushmail.com to discuss my PayPal.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Aaah I missed some! Edited the list.

skog
Aug 20, 2009
Picked up

Badlands
Godzilla
Amarcord
Night of the Hunter
Dazed and Confused

Debating on blind buying Diabolique, Lord of the Flies and Naked Lunch. Any of those titles recommended?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

i am not so sure, I'll take Night of the Hunter.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

caiman posted:

i am not so sure, I'll take Night of the Hunter.

Email me so you can pay me tonight and I can ship tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

skog posted:

Picked up

Badlands
Godzilla
Amarcord
Night of the Hunter
Dazed and Confused

Debating on blind buying Diabolique, Lord of the Flies and Naked Lunch. Any of those titles recommended?

Email me, you can buy Diabolique for me for $15 plus shipping.