Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Rhonne posted:

Speaking of which, anyone else wish they'd build a ride out of the Jaeger cockpit set? Make it like that Star Wars ride in Disney World or something.

You sir are a genius and I wish many fair ladies/dudes come your way and please you.

Make it happen Disney!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Rhonne posted:

Saw the movie, loved it.

One thing that kind of bothered me though, how did anyone think that building a giant wall would ever work as any kind of long term solution? Even if you assume that the flying Kaiju we saw in the movie was the first flyer they ever encountered, the Kaiju keep appearing faster and bigger. Hell, the one we saw break through the wall looked about as tall as the wall itself, they can just climb over it.

During the Q&A, GdT kind of hinted its meant as a joke on American politicians and their border fence

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Saw it yesterday.

All of it's problems are in the acting (the lead, whatshisface, is just so boring that it's nearly impossible to care about any scene involving him) and the script. (hey, who wants the first twenty or so minutes to be just a huge info dump? Bad writers, that's who)

Really the two go hand in hand, poor acting ontop of bad writing leads to characters who are as flat as cardboard and as emotionally invested in their parts as the average children's threatre actor. Plus it leads to some really drawn out scenes that serve as excellent excuses to get up and go to the washroom. (which I never do, this is literally the first movie I've gone to the washroom in the middle of, and I didn't miss a drat thing by the time I got back) When a movie has principle characters die, you should feel more than a yawn.

You can see the obvious parallels between this movie and Evangelion. Both centre their writing on the characters working through the emotional issues of their past that haunt them today. And both have those issues be key parts of defining each character in the movie. But while Eva has Shinji's daddy issues shape his character and influence his decisions, both rational and irrational, Pacific Rim instead uses them more as character traits than actual emotions. The main character is haunted by the loss of his co-pilot, but you don't see that in his dialogue or the actions and decisions he makes. Basically all the dark pasts and emotional scars disappear as soon as the fighting starts, so if you're worrying that the girl co-pilot will start to freak out over fighting giant monsters in the middle of a fight, don't.

None of it's problems really matter because you're gonna be watching this movie for the fights and that's it. Everything else is secondary. The movie realizes this, too, so the one really big setpiece fight in the middle is downright glorious to watch, and the two bookend fights are pretty drat awesome as well.

If you're down with giant monsters fighting giant robots then this is the movie for you. If you want some actual emotion to go with your adrenaline shot then look elsewhere.

Fake Edit: I'm seeing a bunch of people comparing this movie to Independence Day. I laugh that this assessment as they are only really superficially similar in their starting premise, but branch off wildly in their execution. Mainly it comes down to the fact that Pacific Rim can only keep it's tension up during it's fight scenes, whereas Independence Day can work tension into every scene that needs it.

The most direct parallels would be the scene in Pacific Rim where the scientist guy drifts into the alien's brain and the scene in Independence Day after the alien on the operating table talks to the president. Both scenes are about mind melding with aliens to learn their ultimate purpose. Pacific Rim does it in the most flat and uninteresting way possible, the guy hooks everything up, pushes the button, gets a bunch of flashes of his life and flashes of the alien's life, and then we see the other scientist find him shaking on the ground. No tension whatsoever because there's little if any buildup and most of the information we get makes little to no sense and has to be explained to us later.

In ID4, we see everybody walk in on the operation, only to see fog on the other side of the glass, we can't see through it so even though we know what happened we can't see if the alien escaped or not. Then the scientist thumps against the glass, and the alien comes forward and tries to trick them into letting it out. The president doesn't fall for it and instead tries talking to the alien, through the corpse it's controlling like a puppet, and it responds in a very alien way, and tries to take over the presidents mind as well. It's all very intimidating and kinda scary, we don't know what this thing is capable of, it's limits or it's abilities, so the tension in the scene is very high. And that's not an action scene, it's just talking, but it's done in such a way that the audience is kept on the edge of their seat, wondering what's gonna happen next.

Pacific Rim does none of that. All the tension is reserved solely for the action scenes, which are done very well, but everything surrounding them is basically window dressing, world building to keep everybody up to speed on how this world is unique. Independence Day, on the other hand, uses it's time outside of action scenes to actually reflect on what's going on, give it's characters depth, create more tension through building up how little humanities efforts to fight are working, and then ultimately coming up with the plan to defeat the aliens once and for all. All that drama and intrigue is apparently all done in Pacific Rim's timeline, it's the final plan and executing it and that's it. Vastly different levels of quality in writing and directing and acting between both movies.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Just came back from the cinema. The movie was very pretty, but the main characters were terrible and I couldn't care less about them. Also, I would like to watch a Newton & Hermann TV series

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just saw it tonight and I should have went with my gut reaction after watching the trailer months back: ignore the movie. But I kept hearing extremely positive things in the last weeks and saw it was showing tonight and had no plans so I went for it. I was entertained but I would have rather spent the money elsewhere.

l guess unlike what seems like all of you, I don't think there's anything cool about gigantic humanoid robots. I am also having a hard time understanding why a robot would be better suited at fighting monsters than aircraft and missiles. Like to the point where it effects my liking of the film. It would have been a much better and believable movie if it showed the robots fighting alongside air support. I can understand there probably not being ships because they're vulnerable, and tanks because they wouldn't fight them on land, therefore you created jägers to "tank" monsters in the sea while jets blew them up with missiles.

Also I saw it in 3D cause there were no 2D showings and the glasses make everything too dark and now my eyes feel really tired/strained.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

PyPy posted:

Your wife will hate it, your girlfriend will hate it (unless you date gross girls who like nerd poo poo), so don't bother dragging them along. Go with some bros or by yourself. Don't let a woman "not getting it" ruin it for you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nooope. I can accept that I liked this because I'm a recovered geek, but my non-nerd girlfriend laughed and enjoyed the whole way through. Maybe she didn't 'get' it 100% to nerd exacting standards but she had a good time and that's counts? I mean gently caress girls like watching robots punch poo poo too if the robots and the poo poo are in a good movie.

The ID4 comparisons are valid, I think. When I was watching it, I felt like the speech and alien world plus alien scenes were calling back to Independence Day. I mean poo poo the alien looks at the Jaegar like '???' and then it loving blows up in its face. But Pacific Rim is decidedly less chest-beatingly pro-USA because nothing is as blindly celebratory of the USA as ID4 (except maybe Top Gun).

I think Pacific Rim will do well after opening week because it seems like it's having really positive word of mouth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just saw it tonight and I should have went with my gut reaction after watching the trailer months back: ignore the movie. But I kept hearing extremely positive things in the last weeks and saw it was showing tonight and had no plans so I went for it. I was entertained but I would have rather spent the money elsewhere.

l guess unlike what seems like all of you, I don't think there's anything cool about gigantic humanoid robots. I am also having a hard time understanding why a robot would be better suited at fighting monsters than aircraft and missiles. Like to the point where it effects my liking of the film. It would have been a much better and believable movie if it showed the robots fighting alongside air support. I can understand there probably not being ships because they're vulnerable, and tanks because they wouldn't fight them on land, therefore you created jägers to "tank" monsters in the sea while jets blew them up with missiles.

Also I saw it in 3D cause there were no 2D showings and the glasses make everything too dark and now my eyes feel really tired/strained.

They... do show air support. It's one of the first things you see in the film. They even directly explain your complaint. It's the first thing they address in the film. Regular vehicles can defeat a (catagory-1) Kaiju but it takes too long and spreads toxic poo poo everywhere.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ImpAtom posted:

They... do show air support. It's one of the first things you see in the film. They even directly explain your complaint. It's the first thing they address in the film. Regular vehicles can defeat a (catagory-1) Kaiju but it takes too long and spreads toxic poo poo everywhere.

The only air support I saw was helicopters hovering around from a distance shining beams of light. By air support what I meant was like F-18s/22s shooting plasma bombs or whatever they have in the future. Also RE your spoilered text, I'm not seeing how a robot punching the monsters and pulling their limbs apart also doesn't result in toxic poo poo spewing everywhere.

E: Oh I also forgot to say, I thought the sword thing was absolutely stupid as hell. I seriously knew people who "practiced" with one "to prepare for the zombie invasion" because they're somehow better/cooler than guns. Keyword being knew because I don't speak with them anymore and the inclusion of it in the movie seems like it was put in just for those kinds of people.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 13, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There wasn't air support because the premise of the film is not "fighter jets versus monsters".

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Saw this in a D-box equipped theater and the chairs swaying back and forth whenever one of the jaegers was walking around was loving rad as poo poo. The movie is a big dumb effects-driven brainless blockbuster but goddamn was it fun.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Boris Galerkin posted:

The only air support I saw was helicopters hovering around from a distance shining beams of light. By air support what I meant was like F-18s/22s shooting plasma bombs or whatever they have in the future. Also RE your spoilered text, I'm not seeing how a robot punching the monsters and pulling their limbs apart also doesn't result in toxic poo poo spewing everywhere.

Did you get to the movie late? One of the very first things you see in the film is jets attacking the 1st Kaiju attacker.

To your second point, the jaegars aren't primarily using explosive weaponry, which would aerosolize and disperse the Kajiu blood. They're also trying to fight them out in the open ocean, to avoid dumping said blood all over population centers.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Boris Galerkin posted:

And you think 2000lb GBU-24s won't either?

Come on, dude, you're trying to act with some sort of logical mindset and making arguments that don't even make sense. It's a weird hang up to have.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Jaegers are meant to kill them out at sea also. They aren't suppose to get to populated areas.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Chronojam posted:

I really liked ID4 (And Goldblum/Smith were fantastic) but the fights here feel more personal, and it comes off as more of a brutal struggle.
I think because the use of robots requires more, well, hand-to-hand fighting in an anthropomorphized way. They're not clinically firing off missiles - they're punching and kicking and using wrestling moves. Yes, they're in a giant robot, but it gives the fighting more of an intense immediacy because they are *right there* with the monster - all the monster has to do is get one good claw in and he can rip them apart.

Just saw the movie and I'm really glad I'm not the only person who saw the similarities to Independence Day - a movie that was unironically one of my favourite childhood movies. I loved Will Smith, I loved watching stuff blow up, and the movie did it well. But yeah, a lot of similar elements - the grand speech by the authority figure before going into battle, slipping into the alien home base by piggybacking on alien technology, the shot-for-shot of the aliens staring at the instrument of their impending destruction, the aliens' motivations and how the humans figure it out with a mind meld, and even the scientist who gets a little *too* excited about aliens and tactlessly glosses over their death toll. .

But my ultimate favourite part of this movie has to be the relationship between Mako and Raleigh. There's none of this bullshit where Raleigh acts all surprised that a girl has this much skill, and he never goes in just assuming he's going to be better than her. Once he recognizes her skills, he gets behind her 100% of the way and is completely open to their partnership. None of this, "Can I trust my life to a woman?" nonsense or being afraid to share his personal psychic mental space with a woman. Their relationship after that is based on mutual respect and affection BUT there is ABSOLUTELY NO ROMANCE. I cannot stress this enough how awesomely refreshing this was, that they could portray a close friendship between a hero and heroine without the hero also wanting to get into the heroine's pants. Even at the very very end when they're on the life raft, I kept going, "Don't kiss, don't kiss, don't kiss". It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just treated as so *inevitable* in romance that a man and a woman who work together *must needs fall in love* after the big explosion that it's pretty significant to me that this movie didn't go in that direction.

The one flaw in this comes in the scene where Raleigh goes all White Knight on Chuck's rear end after he makes the "keep your bitch on a leash" line. Why would he need to do that? Mako already demonstrated she's more than capable of kicking rear end at her own discretion. It felt a little too cliched to me.

Oh, and as always, Ron Perlman is the poo poo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Like I said, I found the movie entertaining but I would have much rather spent the :10bux: on something else. This is my opinion.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

AnimeJune posted:

The one flaw in this comes in the scene where Raleigh goes all White Knight on Chuck's rear end after he makes the "keep your bitch on a leash" line. Why would he need to do that? Mako already demonstrated she's more than capable of kicking rear end at her own discretion. It felt a little too cliched to me.

Oh, and as always, Ron Perlman is the poo poo.

They needed the two identical white males to have a grudging respect.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Realisim arguments are pointless and stupid for a movie like this, but I'll gripe that there's only one rift, and they don't have nukes, jets, carriers, and jaegers on standby around that hole 24/7? They could have got around this easily by saying 'rifts open randomly, oh poo poo!'

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

The ID4 comparisons are valid, I think. When I was watching it, I felt like the speech and alien world plus alien scenes were calling back to Independence Day. I mean poo poo the alien looks at the Jaegar like '???' and then it loving blows up in its face. But Pacific Rim is decidedly less chest-beatingly pro-USA because nothing is as blindly celebratory of the USA as ID4 (except maybe Top Gun).
This.

Both movies have their strengths and weaknesses, but I really enjoyed how Pacific Rim did a *much* better job establishing that the alien-fighting truly was an international effort. The main character's American, but his commanding officer is British, his co-pilot's Japanese, and his colleagues are Russian, Australian, and Chinese. And [strike]R2D2 and C3PO[/strike] Newt and Gottlieb were from different countries as well.

Also, I loved how the Chinese black market dealer named Chow is really an American who named himself after a Chinese restaurant.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

nothing is as blindly celebratory of the USA as ID4 (except maybe Top Gun).

Someone didn't see Olympus Has Fallen. :911:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I believe you've overlooked a little movie called Rocky IV, my good sir.

failedninja
Nov 29, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: Oh I also forgot to say, I thought the sword thing was absolutely stupid as hell. I seriously knew people who "practiced" with one "to prepare for the zombie invasion" because they're somehow better/cooler than guns. Keyword being knew because I don't speak with them anymore and the inclusion of it in the movie seems like it was put in just for those kinds of people.

Man how do you end up not hating everything on this planet if this is how you judge jolly old Mexican-Americans who watched cartoons once?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

failedninja posted:

Man how do you end up not hating everything on this planet if this is how you judge jolly old Mexican-Americans who watched cartoons once?

We all know how effective swords are versus zombies.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sorry you're too stupid to see the advantage of a melee weapon in what is exclusively close quarters combat? :confused:

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

AnimeJune posted:

This.

Both movies have their strengths and weaknesses, but I really enjoyed how Pacific Rim did a *much* better job establishing that the alien-fighting truly was an international effort. The main character's American, but his commanding officer is British, his co-pilot's Japanese, and his colleagues are Russian, Australian, and Chinese. And [strike]R2D2 and C3PO[/strike] Newt and Gottlieb were from different countries as well.

Also, I loved how the Chinese black market dealer named Chow is really an American who named himself after a Chinese restaurant.

I rewatched ID4 yesterday and we groaned hard when there's a scene of stereotypical Brits sitting around the morse machine going, "the Americans have a plan!" "About time." like only Johnny Yankee could possibly conceive of A Good Plan. I find Independence Day interesting because it's very much a product of a particular culture and time. I told the person I was watching it with, who'd never seen it before, to basically watch it as straight-forward 1990s AMERICA, gently caress YEAH and I think that did the trick.

Also I agree with you about the romance but I do think there was some implied when they're getting into the jaegar for the final mission and Rayleigh says something like "now I can finally look to the future". But you can read it other ways which is nice.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Someone didn't see Olympus Has Fallen. :911:

Not on your life!!!

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sorry you drag weird personal hangups into completely unrelated things I guess?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:ussr:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite thing about the sword-arms is how nobody told Rally that Gypsy has them now. The only thing I didn't really like about the film is how little screentime the best Jaeger Cherno Alpha got.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The 21 foot rule is amended to 2100 foot rule in the case of Pacific Rim.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Like I said, I found the movie entertaining but I would have much rather spent the :10bux: on something else. This is my opinion.

That's a fine opinion to have, but your 1- "planes should work just fine" and 2- "guns>swords" arguments aren't very convincing.

1- They tried that, it took conventional weaponry 6 days to kill the first kaiju. Plasma bombs could work but would be smaller so planes could carry them. If they miss they still bomb the populated cities and then give the monsters time to wreck more poo poo while the planes set up another run. Plus The bigger kaiju take multiple bigass plasma shots to go down and the big one at the end takes a huge fuckoff nuke at point plank range and still survives.

2- A character explicitly said "both of our plasma cannons are out of shots, there's no other options" before the girl remembers they have a sword. Then they use the sword because hey it's useful. It's not like they used a sword over a gun because of honor or what have you.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
People who don't like Pacific Rim are going in the same mental category as people who don't like dogs: Can't trust them, don't turn your back on them, something is deeply wrong with them.

:black101: SWORD DEPLOYED :black101:

BTW my 8 year-old movie buddy was in complete loving awe at this, and when Gypsy Danger powered up the final time to head out to the Breach he turned to me and did the little "fist-to-palm" gesture and said, "I guess this is it." :black101:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Boris Galerkin posted:

This kind of "Robots aren't realistic, why not just make tanks/planes/guns???????" poo poo is so unbearably stupid. Yeah, giant robots aren't realistic. The fact that you can't get over that is your problem, not the movies.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sounds like you have quite the problem with weapons in media.

Especially swords

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

This kind of "Robots aren't realistic, why not just make tanks/planes/guns???????" poo poo is so unbearably stupid. Yeah, giant robots aren't realistic. The fact that you can't get over that is your problem, not the movies.

Exactly.

This movie is about giant as gently caress robots punching monsters. If you are concerned with the plot-practicality and the breach of verisimilitude resulting from giant as gently caress robots, this is not your movie.

"I mean, is he a Spider, or a Man? How is he both?!? Radioactive spiders can't even do that; this is dumb!"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Saw the movie today, liked it a lot. It still hasn't dethroned my #1 apex "blockbuster summer movie" of all time (Independence Day), but it was still a lot of fun.

Really wish we'd gotten more screen time out of Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha, and that they hadn't gone out like chumps, though.

Edit-- I do like that they really toned down the GLADoS voice from the trailer though.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
The visuals in this film are truly amazing. Did anybody else go :asoiaf: when the Kaiju put his face close to the pilots standing on top of the Jeager?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I wish a kaiju would step on Adam Sandler.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

mfaley posted:

Last night, as I'm walking out of an absolute packed and energized showing of Pacific Rim, I held the door for Adam Sandler, who I was then told was going to see his own movie.

Still processing this information.

You sure that was him?

Kannen
Apr 24, 2007

make this page more CAW CAW!!
I'm pretty sure Adam Sandler IS a kaiju

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I have never been happier while watching a movie than I was watching Pacific Rim last night and I intend to go back and watch it in 3D next weekend.

I also loved that instead of the rain covering everything up so you couldnt see stuff it just added to the atmosphere of the Hong Kong fight, I didnt have a problem following any of the fights and loved being able to see the details of the Kaiju and Jaegers in every scene.

Gipsy Danger wading into the hurricane at the start was metal as hell.

Tim Jong-un fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 14, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I just got back from a showing with my wife and daughter and thought it was a simply fantastic piece of work. It delivered above my expectations and surprised me in several ways. It would have been nice to see more of the Jaegers at work before things go to hell, though.

I also really liked how the relationship between Raleigh and Mori never really gets romantic. They don't end the movie on a kiss like I was expecting. The bond they share in the drift is one of deep friendship. It was kind of a relief that they just put their heads together and hold each other close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Xealot posted:

Exactly.

This movie is about giant as gently caress robots punching monsters. If you are concerned with the plot-practicality and the breach of verisimilitude resulting from giant as gently caress robots, this is not your movie.

"I mean, is he a Spider, or a Man? How is he both?!? Radioactive spiders can't even do that; this is dumb!"

I don't really understand why it's so hard to understand how Jaegers would be more effective then traditional weapons. Tanks and jets are built to blow up tanks, jets, and buildings with no regard for collateral damage. When you have Godzilla sized monsters wading into major cities you can't exactly level the place with nukes every time a kaiju pops up. You need something that can get in close and keep the damage contained to an area while it takes out the monster.

I thought it was really smart that they were like "Yeah we can blow up the kaiju but it wrecks the whole loving city and all the kaiju do is run into cities and break poo poo." Most of the time with giant monsters it's just the old "Oh no our weapons are ineffective!" There isn't much point in defending a city if the solution is to use super plasma tanks to level the city while you try to shoot at a kaiju. Seems like people really underestimate how much damage tanks and poo poo cause.

• Locked thread