Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If you got anime then you're good to go. They replaced those cutscenes with some awful CG ones for the western version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

If you got anime then you're good to go. They replaced those cutscenes with some awful CG ones for the western version.

Yeah, I watched the prologue. It looks alright for a mid-2000s PS2 game, but goddamn the voice acting. That girl's voice was the worst.

I love things like this. There's NO reason to let me up here, but they do cuz it's nice. Ys games always have something like this, even right in the beginning of the first game when you look over the cliff.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 19, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Falcom are releasing a really nice gold aluminium iPhone 5 case for Ys: http://www.play-asia.com/Ys_25th_Anniversary_iPhone_5_Aluminium_Gold_Case-paOS-13-71-1iz-49-en-70-6ih7.html

I got the email about it maybe two hours ago and they've already allocated all their stock :v: but then again, I use a Nexus 4, so I'd have had no real use for it. :retrogames:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Did anyone catch this recently? http://www.esterior.net/2013/04/pc-version-of-ys-seven-in-english/

I kind of hope this means we can get the game on Steam here, they're even using XSEED's translation for it...

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Zeether posted:

Did anyone catch this recently? http://www.esterior.net/2013/04/pc-version-of-ys-seven-in-english/

I kind of hope this means we can get the game on Steam here, they're even using XSEED's translation for it...

Oh my god, yes! :neckbeard: Please bring it to Steam, I'm glad I didn't get the PSP version.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Zeether posted:

Yeeeeeesssssss! I was debating buying a PSP cheap and used somewhere, but I'd really have no other use for the thing. This is fantastic news! Now, maybe by some miracle we can get the vita one on the PC, as well.

That iphone case is pretty awesome, but I use a Nexus 7. I guess if it was big enough to fit that, the price would be considerably higher.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
If I double dip on Ys Seven it'll be the digital PSP version for my Vita, but I'm glad more people will get to play it on PC.

So I've been playing Ark of Napishtim it's... pretty good. Not great, but not too frustrating or bad in any fashion. I'm going into it directly from my second Oath in Felghana playthrough so the comparison is just unfair since OiF is basically AoN perfected.

I'm also playing a ton of Falcom's Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky and it's wonderful and charming. I really wish we could see the sequels in the US, but I doubt it'll happen any time soon.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Unmature posted:

I'm also playing a ton of Falcom's Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky and it's wonderful and charming. I really wish we could see the sequels in the US, but I doubt it'll happen any time soon.

The party line over at XSeed is still that they're translating SC, it's just a low priority and SC is goddamned huge. We should see it eventually, just not for a while.

e: We'll probably never see TC though.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 12, 2013

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Isn't that the port where literally every file is protected by SecuROM? I don't have high hopes.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Isn't that the port where literally every file is protected by SecuROM? I don't have high hopes.

Yeah, one would hope they remove the ridiculous DRM from it before trying to sell it over here. It impedes the game from working right.

Anyway, I made a huge and ludicrously spergy post on the XSEED forums about something that's been bugging me for a while:

http://xseedgames.com/forums/showthread.php?3987-Drake-s-Tinfoil-Hat-Corner-Speculating-on-what-ll-be-in-upcoming-content!

Super TLDR so you don't have to read through my walls of :goonsay:: Falcom's been subtly but pretty consistently pushing the idea of "knight Elena" for a while now, and I suspect she's going to feature in an upcoming title as a major/playable character. The pushing of the idea seems just a little too persistent to just be "fanservice", and the general tone of it all doesn't seem right for fanservice either.

Meanwhile, it sounds like XSEED is doing recording for Celceta right now, according to their Twitter. I imagine we'll hear details about the release of it fairly soon at this point, since once voice assets are recorded, usually the only thing left is script insertion and debugging.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I dunno why Elena's even bothering with the whole warrior business. She should just patent that magic growing skirt and make millions off of it.

But seriously, what the hell is with the skirt length in the first picture? It looks like somebody stole her pants and she's desperately trying to turn a jacket into a full tunic.

"This is totally how Chester wore his outfit. No, there's nothing missing."

Ed: loving hell, it is a jacket.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 23, 2013

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
I know one thing I'd love is another game focused on Claw. I mean the guy may have gotten to do some fun stuff in his time after Origin...or hell, maybe just a bit of a story with him before Origin. He's easily one of my favorite Ys characters, and IMO, one of the best written ones(if not the best written Ys character-I mean I love Adol but he is pretty silent. I do adore me some Dogi, of course, though.)

Well for now I'll have fun replaying his game in Origin and waiting patiently(or as patiently as I can) for Celceta.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In terms of future Ys games for her to possibly appear in, they have to one set in not-Rome eventually. I wonder if Falcom is holding that off for the same reason Konami still hasn't done Castlevania 1999.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Castlevania 1999? Is that the event that was briefly mentioned in a few of the games? Some sort of war iirc?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mindblast posted:

Castlevania 1999? Is that the event that was briefly mentioned in a few of the games? Some sort of war iirc?

It's where Julius Belmont sealed Dracula's castle in the eclipse or something, yeah.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nate RFB posted:

In terms of future Ys games for her to possibly appear in, they have to one set in not-Rome eventually. I wonder if Falcom is holding that off for the same reason Konami still hasn't done Castlevania 1999.

Yeah, you keep on waiting for that Castlevania 1999.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Mindblast posted:

Yeah, basically when Julius was about 18 or so, he was supposed to off Dracula for the 'final-ish' time to the point where he couldn't come back on his own, but had to use Soma in Aria and Dawn to do so. So 1999

I'm actually not completely out of hope for Iga CV games, especially since Mercury Steam didn't quite revitalize the franchise like Konami wanted to. Plus, we did get the one Multiplayer CV after LoS(which, while not my favorite by far, I had more fun with than I did LoS. Which I actually didn't hate at all but it left me kinda middling.) While I'm not a huge fan of constant remakes, if they gave Iga the chance to remake SotN, 2.5 D style with crisper graphics I'd fund it myself if I had the money. I'd be ALL over that poo poo(and honestly, if they like money, I'd think they may consider that. CV isn't a bazillion seller but I do think an SotN revamp would bring in some bucks and not even be that uber-wallet breaking to produce.)

(Sorry for the slight off-topic.) But yeah, I know sometimes companies get ideas for That Game which would sorta be a 'kinda-sorta series closer' but they want to hold off on it.

Then again, if the series closer for Ys didn't feature Adol as the main character I'd be kinda nerd-ragey about that to be honest. I mean I LOVE Origin, I'd love to see Claw in another game by all means as I said(hell, another 2-3 games, he's that awesome), but a Ys 'series closer' needs to be Adol and Dogi in terms of main characters(with Adol as the main playable, I'd love another round at Dogi playable though). I'm old fashioned like that. :colbert:

gunsage
May 18, 2013
gently caress. Yes. I got into the Ys series with Ys 3 for the SNES, of all things. Most people hate that one and I can't say it's the best, but it got me interested in the rest of the series. Clearly, Oath in Felghana is far superior and the other Ys titles are great as well. Eagerly anticipating Celceta or whatever it is for the Vita.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Celceta got pushed back to Nov. 15 in the US. I got an email from Amazon this morning that my preorder date was changed.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Son of a bitchbastard.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

iastudent posted:

Celceta got pushed back to Nov. 15 in the US. I got an email from Amazon this morning that my preorder date was changed.

Well, that sucks. I'm not buying it immediately because I don't have a Vita yet, but yeah, I'm disappointed. Oh well.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Yo, all the Steam Ys games are on sale at the moment, though they might go even cheaper if you feel like waiting.

11.99 USD/AUD
7.79 Pounds
9,59 Euros
239 Rubles

8.99 USD/AUD
5.99 Pounds
7,19 Euros
179 Rubles

8.99 USD/AUD
7.19 Pounds
8,39 Euros
179 Rubles

Ed: And since Spacedrake is so active in the thread, I'll give his poo poo a callout. All the Carpe Fulgur games are on sale ATM as well, with Chantelise at 2.49:
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Carpe%20Fulgur%20LLC

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 12, 2013

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
How long are those sales lasting? Totally want to get Ys 1&2.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

InfinityComplex posted:

How long are those sales lasting? Totally want to get Ys 1&2.

Summer sale lasts until July 22nd. If you're not totally sold on the price, wait until later in the sale to see if it goes lower. Just don't wait too long, or the sale might end first.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Definitely wait for them to appear in a daily/flash sale. The Ys games were no stranger to those the past few Steam Sales.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Lance Streetman posted:

8.99 USD/AUD
7.19 Pounds
8,39 Euros
179 Rubles

Yo, this is currently 66% off as a flash sale. Go pick it up: http://store.steampowered.com/app/223810/

Ed: Scrap that, all the Ys games are on sale.

All games are now back to normal sale price. If you missed it, keep an eye out of for a daily deal.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 13, 2013

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I now own every single Falcom title on Steam for now. Ys Chronicles is pretty good, I like swapping around the soundtrack sometimes just to hear the different variations of each piece of music.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
Think I may have fixed the Numpad and other weird input issues in Ys I & II Chronicles+ today. Now I'm about to push a patch that connects the games at Ys I's ending automatically. This can be disabled in the options menu, of course, but I always wanted to have this as a feature for Chronicles+. It was in Complete, too, I think. So many other issues still need addressed, though...

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So then you could transfer over your stats to Ys II after beating I like in the old Turbografx version? That would be awesome.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I finally picked up Ys Chronicles, the last Ys game on Steam I was missing! I suck at the combat, but my god, the music is so good. :allears:

edit: This is an amazing game, thank you for localizing it.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 14, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Saralene posted:

Think I may have fixed the Numpad and other weird input issues in Ys I & II Chronicles+ today. Now I'm about to push a patch that connects the games at Ys I's ending automatically.

Sara, you're a star - any XSeed localization you can vouch for is almost certainly an improvement over the original release now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zeether posted:

So then you could transfer over your stats to Ys II after beating I like in the old Turbografx version? That would be awesome.

Could you do that? It's been decades since I played the TurboCD versions of any of these games but I thought you started over at level 1.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

raditts posted:

Could you do that? It's been decades since I played the TurboCD versions of any of these games but I thought you started over at level 1.
It looks like you can, because I watched a longplay on Youtube and right after you finish Ys I you start II with all your health/levels intact.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Zeether posted:

It looks like you can, because I watched a longplay on Youtube and right after you finish Ys I you start II with all your health/levels intact.

Right now in Chronicles+ you'll start at level 1, but it's otherwise a smooth transition. I'm not sure whether to change this or not, I admit that level 10 wouldn't break things but it might not go along with Falcom's intent for Complete/Chronicles.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Just noticed on steam today that there's midweek madness sale for Ys Origin, Chronicles, and Oath in Felghana going for 66% off.

Get on this poo poo now if you missed the summer sale like I did.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
When I first got Ys Chronicles (thanks Steam Summer sale!), I didn't really understand the game play but after messing around a bit, it's really fun and easy! The Ys games are so awesome, I wish there were more on Steam. :3:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Just a minor observation for the OP: Technically, wasn't Mask of the Sun originally the "official" version of Ys IV instead of Dawn of Ys? A moot point now that Celceta exists of course. Also, we have mentions for the Ys typing game and the Ys/Trails crossover, but nothing for Trails in the Sky itself?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, Mask of the Sun was the official version despite being inferior to the other in every way.

But why have Trails info? Unless you think this should transform into an everything Falcom thread.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sure seems to me that this is meant to be the general Falcom thread going off of the OP and thread title. Xanadu Next, Zwei II, etc.

It's probably too little too late but it sure seems like Trails could use more exposure given the sequels haven't made it over stateside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, since Steam is having a midweek madness sale on the YS games, which one should I go for if I've never played an Ys game in my entire life?

• Locked thread