Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

veedubfreak posted:

How hard was it to put those horns on the car? I need something loud as gently caress for when I finally get my bug on the road. Also, somehow when I moved out here from Texas my parents managed to hide a 3 foot set of longhorns in my stuff. They are now mounted in the garage.

The hard part was mounting them - I wound up going .... special, and using some old L brackets to mount them to the radiator support.

I probably should have put them on a relay, especially since I went from 1 horn to 2. But :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
A bug is almost like a Subaru, so follow the Subaru community and put bright red (or pink) Hella Supertones on it.

It's like a grandfather putting his baseball cap on backwards to impress his bratty grandkids before breaking down, telling them a story about how he shot his best friend in the war, and then retreating to his study for enough brandy to pickle a moose.

In reality, go get Fiamm Highway Blasters from Harbour Freight or equivalent. They'll be like 20 bux and 130dB.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

Scotch tape racing stripe on the windshield?
No, really, what the gently caress is that? Tape? Some attempt at pinstriping?

There's an accord or something with 5 colors of painter's tape 'pinstriping' around where I live. The tape has been there for months and gets changed regularly. Can't make this up, I'll have to take a picture if I see it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Das Volk posted:

Look closely...

The front right wheel has a massive crack on the upward most spoke. Also missing a centre cap. :haw:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Cenodoxus posted:

Why does civilized society allow these kinds of things to happen?

That is the cleanest Star Trek Transporter Malfunction I have ever seen.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Das Volk posted:

Look closely...

Is that a crack in the FR wheel?

EDIT: Oh wow was I late to the party

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cenodoxus posted:

Why does civilized society allow these kinds of things to happen?
Put foot-diameter stacks and a smoke tune on it: The Douchebaguar!

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
He lost a lug nut or two?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Pretty sure that's just dirt on the wheel, not a cracked wheel.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
I saw this curious abomination in Hamilton yesterday:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

PopeOnARope posted:

I saw this curious abomination in Hamilton yesterday:

No, that's amazing. It looks like an actual park bench on the trunk!

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Left Ventricle posted:

No, that's amazing. It looks like an actual park bench on the trunk!

My first thought was ironing board.

I heard downforce is good for getting tough creases out of khakis.

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 13, 2013

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

The diesel stack in the bed looked homemade (but after perusing the internet, they all kind of look homemade it seems). The truck had Power Stroke badges all over it despite that fact that I'm pretty sure that generation never had the Power Stroke engine.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Europeans will probably laugh at this one but man fuel prices are starting to bite here

which brings the gauge up to

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008
8.66484 Us Gal for $US 59.73 meaning 6.89 per gal. The only saving grace is that Diesel is slightly cheaper here in NZ, But we make it up in other ways.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The only time I've seen a price like that in Australia is at William Creek, which is the pimple on the arse end of bum gently caress nowhere.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Hey guys check out this wiki designed car.

I'll let you ride first.

Crankit fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 13, 2013

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
This doesn't look very safe

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Crankit posted:

I'll let you ride first.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Crankit posted:

I'll let you ride first.

You don't understand. It's held together by the power of the community. :spergin:

"I prefer a vehicle that doesn't hurt Mother Earth. It's a go cart, powered by my own sense of self-satisfaction."

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Don't worry guys it looks much better with the Aero-shell in place.

edit: Just realised you guys might want to know some of the stats for the car.

quote:

• 109 miles per gallon combined (US EPA cycle simulation), which is a record for a road-legal gasoline engine. We have tested the car internally, with Roush Industries, and while campaigning in the Progressive Insurance Automotive X Prize. We excitedly await official EPA rankings.
  • It's the lightest car ever to achieve a five-star equivalency rating for front-, side-, and rear-impact tests. We have built to NHTSA and IIHS specifications and excitedly await official rankings.
  • 0 to 60 MPH comes in 5 seconds.
  • Current top speed of 149 MPH.
  • The ultra-efficient gasoline engine is mid-mounted for optimum efficiency of power delivery and minimal energy loss when turning.
    4 gallon gasoline tank for a 400 mile range. No batteries, just ultra-efficient use of gasoline.
  • It's available for only $25,000.
  • The body is crafted in Maryland, the chassis built in Washington, the engine and transmission produced in Ohio, and the electronics systems built in Japan and France and the United Kingdom.
  • Mechanicals serviceable by any shop equipped to service current generation Honda engines. Electronics are being packaged into shoe-box sized mailable-modules for mailed service and repair. Modules slide out, providing access to all sides of most components, for ease of self service if desired.
http://main.wikispeed.softlaunch.352media.com/uploads/images/modular_001.png

Crankit fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 13, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I feel bad for Maryland if that's the best they can do with bodywork.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

OptimusMatrix posted:

He lost a lug nut or two?

Each wheel was missing at least one lug nut.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Das Volk posted:

Each wheel was missing at least one lug nut.

Reduction of unsprung weight. :colbert:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I love how the body work on the wiki car completely ignores the shape of the headlight assembly.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Nubile Hillock posted:

I love how the body work on the wiki car completely ignores the shape of the headlight assembly.

It didn't have adequate citations

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

That's the same car as this one (http://www.wikispeed.com/Affordable) right? That's what the real world mockup looks like so far? :laffo:

Also, you forgot to mentions the car's best features:
No roof, no doors, and what is clearly the best feature, can be bought with bitcoins.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ExplodingSims posted:

That's the same car as this one (http://www.wikispeed.com/Affordable) right? That's what the real world mockup looks like so far? :laffo:

Also, you forgot to mentions the car's best features:
No roof, no doors, and what is clearly the best feature, can be bought with bitcoins.

Yeah but how many totaled Saturn Ion Redlines is it worth?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm not really sure but I think I might want a totaled Ion Redline more than that turd. At least there's evidence that the Saturn can be sold to total idiots.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Crankit posted:

Don't worry guys it looks much better with the Aero-shell in place.

100+ MPG
149MPH
5 seconds 0-60
$25,000
Rated for direct strike from an EF3.

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 14, 2013

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Crankit posted:

I'll let you ride first.

I don't know. It just looks like a mess of box-tubes. Even with the shell on, I'm bothered by the "frame". Seems highly inefficient to design the cassis that way. Wouldn't it be lighter/stronger to build a proper tube-frame chassis like an Atom or a Lotus of some kind? Also, with the way they treated the head lights, that's a pretty big waste & weight penalty, having a huge headlamp assembly that not even half of which is actually exposed.

Don't get me wrong, it seems like they've got an idea in their heads. Though I definitely want more than 4 gallons of fuel, as I tend to drive more 'spirited' than 'hypermiling'.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

YF19pilot posted:

I don't know. It just looks like a mess of box-tubes. Even with the shell on, I'm bothered by the "frame". Seems highly inefficient to design the cassis that way. Wouldn't it be lighter/stronger to build a proper tube-frame chassis like an Atom or a Lotus of some kind? Also, with the way they treated the head lights, that's a pretty big waste & weight penalty, having a huge headlamp assembly that not even half of which is actually exposed.

Don't get me wrong, it seems like they've got an idea in their heads. Though I definitely want more than 4 gallons of fuel, as I tend to drive more 'spirited' than 'hypermiling'.

I think maybe they used the (Civic?) headlights as a test running the vehicle with no body. The pics with the body on looks like they have something else in place.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Saw this marvel of bodywork driving around the other day:

I want to know who looks at that and thinks "Job well done"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bajaha posted:

I want to know who looks at that and thinks "Job well done"

The guy who got the commission selling duct tape to idiots.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

YF19pilot posted:

That is basically what an Elise chassis looks like.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

jamal posted:

That is basically what an Elise chassis looks like.

The Elise would like to respectfully disagree.

I was thinking about the wiki car for a while, and a lot of things got to me about it. The frame is needlessly bulky, they totally didn't bother using the hollow tubes to run cabling and it looks like they neglected crumple zones.

The Elise chassis is clever, it makes really good use of material and space and with my elementary knowledge of physics, seems like it might do better in a crash.

The wiki thing is all 90 degree angles. It'll probably liquify the passengers in a head-on and get ripped to shreds in diagonal impacts.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I wasn't being serious.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
damnit

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Cenodoxus posted:

100+ MPG
149MPH
5 seconds 0-60
$25,000
Rated for direct strike from an EF3.

TIV #1 was ugly as sin but I can't help but think that Samaris talking about them being unnecessary jinxed him a bit.

Edit: found this glorious pile of poo poo the other day, it's a 6 judging by the rear bumper cover (no outlets for duals, despite some badly crooked ones hanging from underneath)

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
At least he took the wipers off to spray them.