Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

ryan_woody posted:

I've been hearing that Steam multiplayer is already broken and ruined by the easy creation of "perfect" sealed decks and editing the constructed decks. Is it as rampant as it seems, or is that the typical internet exaggeration?

Well I just played a guy who somehow had two Day of Judements, two Rune-Scarred Demons and at least one Angelic Destiny. Beat him twice with my own non-cheating sealed deck then he raged and let the computer beat me. Pretty ridiculous that you can't turn off the AI takeover bullshit in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SNOT CORN posted:

Well I just played a guy who somehow had two Day of Judements, two Rune-Scarred Demons and at least one Angelic Destiny. Beat him twice with my own non-cheating sealed deck then he raged and let the computer beat me. Pretty ridiculous that you can't turn off the AI takeover bullshit in this one.

That's not terrifically unlikely. 29 Rares, you get 9. Angelic Destiny is a Mythic, sure, but I've opened plenty of slots with multiples of the same Rares.

e: that said yes deck modding is easy and rampant on Steam.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

SNOT CORN posted:

If you could turn it off, it would be easy to cheese the poo poo out of unlocks by playing private games with friends & dropping out to give them the win. But yeah, I don't see what it would hurt to give the option to just take the win in random match games -- especially since, in my experience, AI doesn't know how to play player-made sealed decks worth a poo poo.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

goferchan posted:

If you could turn it off, it would be easy to cheese the poo poo out of unlocks by playing private games with friends & dropping out to give them the win. But yeah, I don't see what it would hurt to give the option to just take the win in random match games -- especially since, in my experience, AI doesn't know how to play player-made sealed decks worth a poo poo.

Instead, we cheese the poo poo out of unlocks with Cheat Engine.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Or beating the moorland zombies encounter two dozen times.

Kanfy posted:

So how are people building Hunter's Strength anyway? I don't like Hunt the Weak but it's practically removal which is in rather limited supply. Which big guys do you think are worth keeping?

In my experience you don't want to keep any 5+ CC stuff that isn't removal (Enlarge is... Kinda removal, I guess) or total bombs. I'm trying out a build with only the Chroma beatstick and the Landfall tokenspawner as genuine fat right now and it seems to kinda sorta work.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

Huxley posted:

The two biggest mental humps to get over when learning this game revolve around life. The first we've mentioned, that life is a resource and you only have to protect the from last point of damage (though with different decks, you have to start worrying about it at different points in the game).

The second is that damage you don't take is no different than life you gained. It makes sense once you hear it out loud, and seems intuitive to people who have been playing forever, but it's a pretty big lightbulb that goes off over people's heads when they are first learning the game.

A vanilla 2/2 for that same 3 colorless mana has the potential to gain you more life than the artifact, and it has the benefit of dealing damage or potentially killing something when it dies.

I just wanted to quote this because after reading this I had that lightbulb moment and have started altering my decks I think for the better. Thanks!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The most important thing for new players to understand is how the stack works, specifically that destroying the source of an effect won't stop the effect from happening.

Also things like Doomsday Specter, which says "when this enters the battlefield return a blue or black creature to your hand". A lot of new players don't understand that this means you'll have to return HIM to hand if you have no other targets.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

precision posted:

The most important thing for new players to understand is how the stack works, specifically that destroying the source of an effect won't stop the effect from happening.

Also things like Doomsday Specter, which says "when this enters the battlefield return a blue or black creature to your hand". A lot of new players don't understand that this means you'll have to return HIM to hand if you have no other targets.

That effect is so cool on Sawtooth Loon.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Is anyone actually using ring of three wishes in an avacyns deck? Seems like a good card but the costs to cast and use seem excessive for that deck.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Is anyone actually using ring of three wishes in an avacyns deck? Seems like a good card but the costs to cast and use seem excessive for that deck.

It gives you options if you make it to the lategame and haven't already got the game locked down.

I don't run it because there isn't enough removal in the format that running out of gas is a big problem for that deck, personally.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

I run it for 2HG, but in single player the game is often over to quickly

Freeze_Dried_Chives
Jul 22, 2007

I will not go down the hole again good sir.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Instead, we cheese the poo poo out of unlocks with Cheat Engine.

Speaking of which, did this get fixed? The one posted right after the game came out was working fine for me and I have been using it to unlock decks one at a time, but as of a few days ago it stopped working.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
On ranked matches is the AI suddenly taking over the equivalent of someone quitting?

Also now that I have the full deck unlocked, what are people running with avacyns glory? Right now I'm focused on buffing weenies and producing a lot of small creatures consistently, with a few late game heavy hitters and a little control mixed in. Can't post my current deck at the moment.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

On ranked matches is the AI suddenly taking over the equivalent of someone quitting?

Yes, it happens when someone concedes. It's a little obnoxious since conceding is routine among Magic players, but in Duels it also functions as a disconnect button, then the winner has to finish the game against AI.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 13, 2013

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So were these supported on iPad previously? Will they patch it for bugs and give me a way to enter promo codes, or did the shittiness of the iPad version just get offset by my foil Scavenging Ooze?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Bust Rodd posted:

So were these supported on iPad previously? Will they patch it for bugs and give me a way to enter promo codes, or did the shittiness of the iPad version just get offset by my foil Scavenging Ooze?

Duels 2013 for iOS had patch support, and worked quite well after the first patch.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Promoted Pawn posted:

Yes, it happens when someone concedes. It's a little obnoxious since conceding is routine among Magic players, but in Duels it also functions as a disconnect button, then the winner has to finish the game against AI.

Yeah, I really dislike this. I want to "concede" and go back to the lobby and say "gg, wanna go again?" not vanish and have an AI play out my defeat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Loving Life Partner posted:

Yeah, I really dislike this. I want to "concede" and go back to the lobby and say "gg, wanna go again?" not vanish and have an AI play out my defeat.

It's even worse because in previous versions you could uncheck the "AI Takeover" box so that if you or your opponent conceded, the match would end right away. Now it's not even an option on any platform.

Lotta people quit on turn 2 or 3. Last night I had someone rage quit on me... and then the AI beat me. :negative:

e: I didn't even notice I wasn't playing a human anymore until the victory screen

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Man, this aura deck is fun. Is there a term like Timmy for the dude who wants to draw as many cards as humanly possible? Because that's me against decks with bad creature removal who don't know that you need to kill those kor drops as soon as you see them.

Anyone had success with aura against the mono black zombie deck? Because I really like the deck after removing the 3/1 cat dudes, but black (and sometimes masks with a perfect starting hand) will just choke my creature count until I'm too stalled to do anything.

every
Apr 24, 2008

This deck is fun when you win.

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007
^ Honestly the most surprising thing about that pic is that your opponent stuck around.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually find Chant of Mul Daya pretty solid now that I've tuned it, though sometimes I have to do funny things like use Green Sun's Zenith to get a Grazing Gladeheart so I can live long enough to do other stuff.

I got to cast Plow Under and Tooth and Nail in the same game last night. Now that's something I'm surprised the guy stuck around for.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

precision posted:

I actually find Chant of Mul Daya pretty solid now that I've tuned it, though sometimes I have to do funny things like use Green Sun's Zenith to get a Grazing Gladeheart so I can live long enough to do other stuff.

I agree. I used to think it sort of sucks but now that I've unlocked everything and trimmed it I have to say it's one of the best decks. Masks can be annoying to fight with all its disruption and Deadwalkers has too much removal to deal with, but it's perfectly able to handle the other decks.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Simic clones! How!?

I only seem to prevent a win from bio visionaries if use avncyn's glory or the zombie deck. Even then, he just clones my best monsters instead and I end up dying to my own monsters.

What's the trick here?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
I beat that encounter with a poo poo tonne of removal, so run whichever deck you have with the most of that (probably Mind Maze or Deadwalkers).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Snuffman posted:

Simic clones! How!?

I only seem to prevent a win from bio visionaries if use avncyn's glory or the zombie deck. Even then, he just clones my best monsters instead and I end up dying to my own monsters.

What's the trick here?

It's one of the hardest encounters, but it is beatable with any deck. Admittedly, to beat it with Mul Daya you need a perfect hand and draw, but any other deck (in other words, the ones with more than 2 removal spells and with removal spells that cost less than 7 mana) can do it with only a decent hand/draw. Basically you want to kill his first Biovisionary as soon as he plays it because he's going to clone it next turn but doesn't draw another for several turns afterwards. The clone shouldn't be a big deal but you can zap it, too, as long as you save another removal spell for when he puts Followed Footsteps on his second Biovisionary (wait until then so you get the 2-for-1). Really, as long as you keep putting pressure on him and don't let that first Biovisionary live, it's not too hard.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Snuffman posted:

Simic clones! How!?

What's the trick here?

The trick is to not let the first Biovisionary live to see another turn. Once you kill that the encounter does literally nothing but play lands for a few turns, though the AI will struggle mightily to try to find a play. Most any deck should be able to put the game out of reach with that kind of window.

every
Apr 24, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

I agree. I used to think it sort of sucks but now that I've unlocked everything and trimmed it I have to say it's one of the best decks. Masks can be annoying to fight with all its disruption and Deadwalkers has too much removal to deal with, but it's perfectly able to handle the other decks.

Definitely wrote it off as a mega Timmy deck at first. Which I guess it is. Weak vs blue / unsummon and cancel though. Starting hand is also extra-key.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Masks of Dimir landing a first-turn Thought Scour really wrecks the clones encounter (and most others).

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Promoted Pawn posted:

The trick is to not let the first Biovisionary live to see another turn. Once you kill that the encounter does literally nothing but play lands for a few turns, though the AI will struggle mightily to try to find a play. Most any deck should be able to put the game out of reach with that kind of window.

It is also pretty easy if you can destroy their blue land early on, IIRC. It screws up what plays they really want to do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Because Stainless are idiots, on Steam it is now possible and easy to get the Promo Cards in your decks. I'll let you look for it if that's your thing.

It's also possible on XBox but I have no clue about all that.

Wizards said they'll be releasing one (1) promo code on "Magic Day", September 7th (apparently on this day you can also go to a comic book store and get free boosters and poo poo because it's the Birthday of Magic or some poo poo).

In other news, Firewave is actually one of the best decks in the game and absolutely murders Mind Maze, Avacyn's Glory, and Deadwalkers. The caveat of course is you have to fully unlock it because almost every single card in the base deck is a card you want to replace.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The first 2 unlocks are showing on every deck now. But yeah you need the promo codes to get them. Man I wanna get that extra Counterspell.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
With every other deck I run into having promo card unlocks, I feel like I have no choice but to get them too. They give such a huge power swing to a deck vs. one that doesn't have them. But then I get to feel like the douche when I stomp some non-promo deck into the ground.

This is such a clusterfuck Wizards should just release all the codes now, to at least attempt to balance the playing field.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The first 2 unlocks are showing on every deck now. But yeah you need the promo codes to get them. Man I wanna get that extra Counterspell.

Yep, they're for San Diego Comic Con and PAX (I had no idea PAX was going on?) according to the in-game screens.

Hopefully some crazy Russians will crack the codes early.

And yeah they really should just release all the codes since Steam and 360 are flooded with people using them anyway.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

precision posted:

In other news, Firewave is actually one of the best decks in the game and absolutely murders Mind Maze, Avacyn's Glory, and Deadwalkers. The caveat of course is you have to fully unlock it because almost every single card in the base deck is a card you want to replace.

Could you post your build for this, if you get a chance? I'm almost finished with unlocking this one and I thought I was going about it the right way. It does beat Mind Maze more than some of the others I've tried but I still have huge trouble with Avacyn and Deadwalkers, and I lose more often than not to the Ajani deck. What's the secret?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

precision posted:

Yep, they're for San Diego Comic Con and PAX (I had no idea PAX was going on?) according to the in-game screens.

PAX Australia.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Klungar posted:

PAX Australia.

Ah yes, the Australia of PAX's. Wait...

Ronco Showtime posted:

Could you post your build for this, if you get a chance? I'm almost finished with unlocking this one and I thought I was going about it the right way. It does beat Mind Maze more than some of the others I've tried but I still have huge trouble with Avacyn and Deadwalkers, and I lose more often than not to the Ajani deck. What's the secret?

Can do. Gimme a second.

23 Mountain

2 x Goblin Arsonist

Really shines this year against the hoards of 1/1 and 2/2s

2 x Grim Lavamancer

This card has so much value they should sell it at Best Buy

1 x Flame Slash

Why is there only one of these... sigh

3 x Kiln Fiend

2 x Final Fortune

Such a hilarious and great card.

1 x Reverberate

1 x Searing Spear

1 x Wild Guess

2 x Chandra's Phoenix

1 x Chandra's Spitfire

2 x Pilgrim's Eye

YES! I run two of these guys! It's crucial to hit land drop 5 and 6 and they can chump something.

1 x Browbeat

1 x Flamebreak

2 x Flames of the Firebrand

1 x Seismic Assault

If you draw this, you are probably going to win, because now every Mountain you topdeck is a Shock, and if you have Grim Lavamancer out, it's 1.5 Shocks.

1 x Sulfuric Vortex

Considering running both of these, needs more testing.

1 x Firewing Phoenix

2 x Chandra's Outrageous

2 x Fire Servant

1 x Magma Phoenix

The animated art on this card is nice. I'd run 4 'em if I could. Magma Phoenix Best Phoenix.

1 x Cone of Flame

2 x Lava Axe

1 x Hostility

1 x Inferno Tittums

2 x Disintegrate

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Sulfuric Vortex definitely calls for both. You're more likely than them to throw combat math for a loop because you have more ability to do damage to the face, which fucks up their ability to calculate how many turns are left.

Browbeat is so bad though... :(

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

precision posted:

Sweet Firewave build

Aside from having good taste in television, I have always enjoyed your builds. This one alone completely swept the revenge campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

precision posted:

Ah yes, the Australia of PAX's. Wait...

Can do. Gimme a second.

Did you experiment with furnace of wrath? I 'm looking to try this deck and I know it's really hard to use because you're basically kicking off an arms race after wasting a 4 mana cast, but the synergy with final fortune seems to be there since it's only 6 mana to play them both on the same turn (and then you can turn 2 lava axe for 10, seismic assault for an autowin with just 5 lands, etc).

• Locked thread