Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
After reading the recent posts, I decided to go ahead and schedule a test date for N+ for next Thursday. Hopefully I don't end up wasting 240$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

KetTarma posted:

After reading the recent posts, I decided to go ahead and schedule a test date for N+ for next Thursday. Hopefully I don't end up wasting 240$

I found that wikipedia studying of cables, ports, and 802 standards right before the test saved my rear end. If you can correctly wire and crimp an Ethernet cable, write a table of 10 common ports, and name all the current 802s everything else is pretty standard scenario questions.

VPNs also threw me off some but after rereading the questions and making sense of the answers I don't think I missed any of them. The test uses as much short-hand abbreviations as possible but when you think of the actual names they represent it's easier to find the answer.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Last Question about Mac Certification: When you're supposed to click through the interface, in order to complete the interactive sections, how does grading work? Is it a timed situation where I can click around, or are they strict about every click you make? Is there just an end-goal which you have to fulfill?

I don't wanna have to memorize a specific order of icons/directories, if I don't have to. I'm a "click around, till I find it" person.

I'm also a cheap bastard who doesn't wanna piss away $65

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Guess all my worry was unfounded.
925/1000 - CCENT: check.

Next Friday is Server 2012 MCSA part one, time to switch gears.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Congrats, Cisco buddy :3:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

QPZIL posted:

CCENT? MCSA? Within a week of each other?

Can I just give you my resume right now in case you want to hire me in a year's time when you're running things?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

CCENT? MCSA? Within a week of each other?

Can I just give you my resume right now in case you want to hire me in a year's time when you're running things?

I've been studying both for over a month now, it's not like I'm coming at it completely cold :)

Eh, I've got a gift for quick learning - plus the abundance of practice tests online and free lab training (GNS3, Server 2012 demo disc) helps too. And my deep burning desire for getting out of my local government helpdesk. 80 locations around the City that we support, and.......... there are 3 of us. :smithicide:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Will either of the CCNA Data Center tests renew a CCNA? Or both tests completed, I guess.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I've been building my CCNA/CCENT home lab, and this is what I've bought today:

1x 2611xm
1x 2621xm
1x 3550-24-SMI
2x WS-C2950-24

Will this carry me through most of the CCNA labwork?

Also, a couple questions about some of the interfaces - The 2611xm has one WIC-2AM and one WIC-1DSUT1, will they be of much use for me in a home lab environment? Also, I ordered two WIC-T2 modules to mess around with Frame Relay, and I wanted to be sure about the cable I'll need to connect the routers.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IMHO, pull the IOS off your 2600 and use GNS3 for the routers. Then just interconnect the switches to your computer into your GNS3 lab.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Martytoof posted:

Will either of the CCNA Data Center tests renew a CCNA? Or both tests completed, I guess.

One will do.
https://i7lp.integral7.com/durango/do/login?ownername=cisco&channel=cisco&basechannel=integral7

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome. I need to renew my CCNA before the end of January but I'm also doing my VCP so I need something pretty easy, and those seem kind of simple.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Martytoof posted:

IMHO, pull the IOS off your 2600 and use GNS3 for the routers. Then just interconnect the switches to your computer into your GNS3 lab.

I've got GNS3 with IOS images already, I really wanted to get hands-on experience with the hardware as well - just to ensure that I'm learning everything and not merely cramming it. I've been "official" desktop support and repair at my university for almost five years, but I feel like none of it directly translates into jr network admin or engineer positions, which is what I want to do now that I've graduated.

e: oh, and thanks for the response.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

QPZIL posted:

What practice tests did you use? I'm at 750ish on scores last I tried a test. Still not ready.

I want the ICND1 done this month as well so I can finally stop constantly thinking whenever I try to relax that I should be working on the CCNA instead. Must get this done.

I've just followed lab simulations and I'm definitely learning that way. Is there a guide around you guys are using to build a lab? It would be worthwhile to do using packetracer or GNS3. The real equipment would be fun but I can't afford the luxury at the moment as it's not needed.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004

Erkenntnis posted:

I've got GNS3 with IOS images already, I really wanted to get hands-on experience with the hardware as well - just to ensure that I'm learning everything and not merely cramming it. I've been "official" desktop support and repair at my university for almost five years, but I feel like none of it directly translates into jr network admin or engineer positions, which is what I want to do now that I've graduated.

Proest of tips, your 26xxXM models can run CallManager Express for IP phone fun or Voice track studies.

Always a tick in the plus column for using physical gear in a lab.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Erkenntnis posted:

Ahh, that's fair.

I would say that your WIC-2AM will be entirely useless for basically any cert so feel free to either flip it or hang onto it. Your WIC-1DSUT1 is useless without another one on the other end, but even though its use isn't covered in the CCNA it's probably a useful card to have if you can get one for the other device. The cable is really cheap to make, at any rate.

I would probably opt for one more 2600 router, maybe with another WIC-1DSUT1 (or you can buy one more WIC-2T) so you can have three devices to route between, but for your CCNA I would say that is pretty much all you need. Three switches so you can practise STP, two or more routers so you can practise your routing protocols. Your 2600XMs have FastEthernet ports so you can practise router on a stick. I'd say you're probably all set.

If you're feeling spendy you can also opt for another 2600 and two more WIC-2T cards and use that as a frame relay switch in your lab. I used the equivalent 3600 with NM-4T with WIC-T1 cards in my 2600s, and NM-1E + NM-2W+WIC-T1 in my 3600s to keep costs down.

And yes, that cable looks correct for your setup :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 12, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

DropsySufferer posted:

What practice tests did you use? I'm at 750ish on scores last I tried a test. Still not ready.

I want the ICND1 done this month as well so I can finally stop constantly thinking whenever I try to relax that I should be working on the CCNA instead. Must get this done.

I've just followed lab simulations and I'm definitely learning that way. Is there a guide around you guys are using to build a lab? It would be worthwhile to do using packetracer or GNS3. The real equipment would be fun but I can't afford the luxury at the moment as it's not needed.

My total process (for both ICND1 & 2) is:

Lammle's book
Odom's book
TrainSignal videos
The two workbooks from http://www.ccnaguides.com/ ($20, but that's basically the only thing I had to pay for, everything else was paid for by work)
Free CCNA Workbook (http://www.freeccnaworkbook.com/)
CCENTQuestions (http://www.ccentquestions.com/HPCCQmain.html)
GNS3 / Cisco PacketTracer
A physical home lab (Routers: 2600, 1700 / Switches: 2900, 2950, 3500)

Between all that, I felt more than prepared for the ICND1, and I imagine I'll feel the same for the ICND2 :)

Graviolies
Mar 23, 2004

QPZIL posted:

My total process (for both ICND1 & 2) is:

Lammle's book
Odom's book
TrainSignal videos
The two workbooks from http://www.ccnaguides.com/ ($20, but that's basically the only thing I had to pay for, everything else was paid for by work)
Free CCNA Workbook (http://www.freeccnaworkbook.com/)
CCENTQuestions (http://www.ccentquestions.com/HPCCQmain.html)
GNS3 / Cisco PacketTracer
A physical home lab (Routers: 2600, 1700 / Switches: 2900, 2950, 3500)

Between all that, I felt more than prepared for the ICND1, and I imagine I'll feel the same for the ICND2 :)

This is fantastic thank you for the resources. Congrats too!

I think my biggest hurdle is spare time as my work isn't supporting my study and I'm occupied about 55 hours a week between work and commute. So far most of my progress has been watching and taking notes on CBT nuggets at lunch then getting in a little bit of Odom's book on my phone Herr and there. the most valuable time I've had was working with gns3 with a virtual box setup for a host.

Any tips on how to maximize minimal available time? If there's something I can listen to while driving that would give me two hours every day of more study.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

For 3 exams and an upgrade? Probably a little skimpy, to be honest - but then those books are geared toward passing and not learning the material.

Disagree on that - William Panek did the 2k3 books I used for the 70-290 and -291. He helped me pass the -290 on my second try when another book didn't help. Granted, I'd agree that given the size of the MS Press book for 70-417, this may JUST barely be enough. Doubly so when (I think) the 70-417 is a composite of the -410, -411 and -412 but not entirely.

Red Robin Hood posted:

What kind of experience do you have? I'm a junior engineer with little server building experience.

I started taking my 2k3 and then 2k8 exams when I was little more than a high-level helpdesk guy who had really done little more than basic AD and Exchange. Building servers in Virtualbox and going through the prep books was how I learned TONS about the guts of Windows server networking and application communications. If you just memorize the books and go for the test, you'll fail, but if you DO the stuff you stand a far greater chance. Other than the parts that are so out of the ordinary that you've never touched them and never will

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
I forgot I signed up for the 701 & 702 vouchers last year. Looks like I'll be trying those in two weeks time. WELP.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Gotta Say the DCD is actually more fun than I thought it was going to be

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
What's the best way to list certs on a resume to make them look the most professional without overstating what they represent? For example, the net+ cert:

CompTIA Network+ Certified, July 2013

Or have some of you found a better way to emphasize these certs that seem to land interviews?

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I passed 801 two weeks ago with 734/900, and am hoping to gear up to take the 802, since there might be some entry level IT positions open in the near future. I'm waffling about my 802 test date, trying to decide whether I take it on August 9th, or hold out til the week of the 19th. The intervening week is entirely unavailable.

Has anyone had any experience with being in a sort of test limbo for a job application? I want to update my resume to say "801 completed xx/xx, 802 scheduled for xx/xx" but am (probably stupidly) worried about the distance of my next test date from today... Especially when they might start interviewing at the beginning of August.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Do you guys know of anywhere that offers a similar course setup to the Stanly Community College VMware ICM course? i.e. Online and semi self-paced. I don't mind paying a bit more if it doesn't have a 7+ month wait list.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

demonachizer posted:

Do you guys know of anywhere that offers a similar course setup to the Stanly Community College VMware ICM course? i.e. Online and semi self-paced. I don't mind paying a bit more if it doesn't have a 7+ month wait list.

http://www.cccti.edu/vmware/ is $1500 and there is one in September.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What's the best way to list certs on a resume to make them look the most professional without overstating what they represent? For example, the net+ cert:

CompTIA Network+ Certified, July 2013

Or have some of you found a better way to emphasize these certs that seem to land interviews?

I have a section for Certifications. Boldface the cert, tab to the edge (or however you set up your resume) and list the month/year. One single-space line below, list the vendor and a quick description. Kinda like this:

code:
[b]Certifications[/b]
--------------------------
[b]Network+[/b]                             July 2013
CompTIA              Cross-Vendor/Platform Networking 

[b]ICND1[/b]                           September 2013
Cisco Systems               Cisco-specific Networking

[b]ICND2[/b]                             October 2013

[b]Cisco Certified Network Associate     October 2013
Cisco Systems          Completion of both ICND1 and 2
I did something like this to show my individual MS exams demonstrating the time span for me to get each cert. Also, some of those MS exams give a separate MCTS cert upon completion. I hate to sound jaded, but if it helps your resume stand out without lying, pad it like a pillow.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

MJP posted:

I have a section for Certifications. Boldface the cert, tab to the edge (or however you set up your resume) and list the month/year. One single-space line below, list the vendor and a quick description. Kinda like this:

code:
[b]Certifications[/b]
--------------------------
[b]Network+[/b]                             July 2013
CompTIA              Cross-Vendor/Platform Networking 

[b]ICND1[/b]                           September 2013

[b]ICND2[/b]                             October 2013

[b]Cisco Certified Network Associate     October 2013
Cisco Systems          Completion of both ICND1 and 2
I did something like this to show my individual MS exams demonstrating the time span for me to get each cert. Also, some of those MS exams give a separate MCTS cert upon completion. I hate to sound jaded, but if it helps your resume stand out without lying, pad it like a pillow.

I would just go with CCNA, no need to mention ICND1/2 since they're essentially sub tests of the main cert (yes, I know ICND1 is technically CCENT) just as you wouldn't mention passing ROUTE/SWITCH/TSHOOT just that you were a CCNP. In general for Cisco certs I would just mention your highest cert in each category (SEC/R&S/etc) and I wouldn't even mention CompTIA networking certs if you have at least a CCNA (baring SEC+ as that can be a special req)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

How's the typical quality on the Kindle edition of Cisco Press stuff? I'm considering going for a CCNA (:smithicide:) because my boss really wants someone else on the team besides him to have networking expertise, and the Kindle version of Odom's new book is half the cost of the dead tree one. I'll probably get work to expense it either way, but ebooks are pretty convenient as long as they're not an awful hack job of a conversion.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't mean for this to sound snarky, but there's a "send sample" button right on the page. Give it a look to see if it meets your criteria. It's usually the first chapter or a percentage of the first chapter which is often enough to gauge the quality of the rest of the book :)

e: From a 30 second glance-through on my Paperwhite, it seems to suffer from the same thing all converted texbooks suffer from, which is that you can't really format tables and graphics properly all the time. It tends to cut some in half across pages, but overall it seems to be very well done. Certainly not some straight one-font monotone HTML hackjob.

For my money, I'd still rather get the PDF from Safari Online (if one is available) and read it on my paperwhite. It'll be smaller and if you have poor eyesight you won't be happy, but if you do then it's a great way to read textbooks.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 18, 2013

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I tried to read the same cisco press books using a kindle paperwhite and had the same issue. The formatting was messed up and I never could find a proper conversion tool. I think as mentioned textbooks are best viewed on a tablet. The kindle fire worked great for me.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

Fatal posted:

I would just go with CCNA, no need to mention ICND1/2 since they're essentially sub tests of the main cert (yes, I know ICND1 is technically CCENT) just as you wouldn't mention passing ROUTE/SWITCH/TSHOOT just that you were a CCNP. In general for Cisco certs I would just mention your highest cert in each category (SEC/R&S/etc) and I wouldn't even mention CompTIA networking certs if you have at least a CCNA (baring SEC+ as that can be a special req)

I always end up listing them all, by full name and abbreviation if they have one, anyone in IT would think I was a wanker, but I always worry about some HR troll not seeing the some combination of letter the hiring manager is seeking.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Awesome OP. Straight and to the point.

What does the roadmap look like for myself who's been working on a helpdesk for the past two years, has no certifications as of yet, and is interested in learning more about networking?

I know the first step is to obviously get my A+ and Net+, but what after that? Go straight for the study guides to the Cisco and Juniper certs, or go to another company and gain more experience? Would it matter to other employers if I stayed here for another year? Is getting an cushy IT job that pays a somewhat comfortable salary (around 40k) outside the realm of reality? I'm starting to realize that doing grown-up things (saving up to buy a house, eventually getting married, etc.) are expensive and want to get the ball rolling.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

Charles Martel posted:

Awesome OP. Straight and to the point.

What does the roadmap look like for myself who's been working on a helpdesk for the past two years, has no certifications as of yet, and is interested in learning more about networking?

I know the first step is to obviously get my A+ and Net+, but what after that? Go straight for the study guides to the Cisco and Juniper certs, or go to another company and gain more experience? Would it matter to other employers if I stayed here for another year? Is getting an cushy IT job that pays a somewhat comfortable salary (around 40k) outside the realm of reality? I'm starting to realize that doing grown-up things (saving up to buy a house, eventually getting married, etc.) are expensive and want to get the ball rolling.

Start looking into a CCENT, if your company has any Network Engineers go to them. Networking is a good way to provide.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

I think some info about OSCP (http://www.offensive-security.com/information-security-certifications/oscp-offensive-security-certified-professional/) should be added to the OP. There's a number of good certs on that site, but just having Sec+ and CISSP for security isn't enough.

Great OP tho. Haven't looked it over for ages.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

Skip N+ and go straight into either CCENT as Tasty Wheat says or if you are brave go for the straight CCNA.

A+ while full of handy knowledge won't give you any career momentum past a helpdesk, which you already have enough experience at.
N+ is again handy, but for the same reasons as the A+, look to skip it and get on a vendor networking track. The entry-level Cisco networking stuff is much better than the early Juniper stuff for people starting out.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

Gap In The Tooth posted:

Skip N+ and go straight into either CCENT as Tasty Wheat says or if you are brave go for the straight CCNA.

Agreed, go straight for CCENT, which will bring you halfway up to CCNA. Cisco is way more prevalent than juniper, but once you have your CCNA, a JNCIA is quite easy to get. There is a lot of overlap and it is never bad to have seen a different way of doing things.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013
Hi fellow IT sufferers,

I've been on helpdesk for way too long (money's good here, but christ am I bored).

I'm taking the Microsoft 70-680 next week, as part of my exit strategy, but I'm not confident to be perfectly honest.

Anyone here taken it recently? (Don't break your NDR naturally, but any vague advice appreciated as it's my first MS cert and I'm not sure what to expect). I've been mainly using the Poulton book, and have been working with windows 7/xp for years.

Cheers,
ToG.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Took 640-822 (CCENT) last week and passed with a 93%. Took 70-410 (Instl. & Cfg. Windows Server 2012) today and passed with a 94%. One left for CCNA and two left for MCSA.

Come at me cert exams :cool:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QPZIL posted:

Took 640-822 (CCENT) last week and passed with a 93%. Took 70-410 (Instl. & Cfg. Windows Server 2012) today and passed with a 94%. One left for CCNA and two left for MCSA.

Come at me cert exams :cool:

Woop woop!

I gotta sign up for the ICND-1 soon to help force myself into finishing studying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

Gap In The Tooth posted:

A+ while full of handy knowledge won't give you any career momentum past a helpdesk, which you already have enough experience at.
N+ is again handy, but for the same reasons as the A+, look to skip it and get on a vendor networking track. The entry-level Cisco networking stuff is much better than the early Juniper stuff for people starting out.

Cisco is the name that everyone recognizes, not saying it's better, just saying that it's bigger, you will find later, that as you go along, lots of places will want you to be multidisciplinarian

Jelmylicious posted:

Agreed, go straight for CCENT, which will bring you halfway up to CCNA. Cisco is way more prevalent than juniper, but once you have your CCNA, a JNCIA is quite easy to get. There is a lot of overlap and it is never bad to have seen a different way of doing things.

I went from doing LANTasic and Novel in the mid 90s to Cisco in '06, one of the best moves I have ever made.

Charles Martel posted:

CCNA was my first industry cert, now is a good time to learn Cisco, there are lots of tools these days, GNS3, IOU/IOL, rack rental. The Cisco Learning Network, that is a good place to start.

Charles Martel posted:

Go straight for the study guides to the Cisco and Juniper certs, or go to another company and gain more experience? Would it matter to other employers if I stayed here for another year? Is getting an cushy IT job that pays a somewhat comfortable salary (around 40k) outside the realm of reality? I'm starting to realize that doing grown-up things (saving up to buy a house, eventually getting married, etc.) are expensive and want to get the ball rolling.

To be honest, if a job was on fire, on the other side of the street, I would not walk over and piss on it for 40k, on the other hand, if someone says that your going to get an 80k after passing your CCNA (with no experience), they are trying to sell you CCNA testing materials.

I was lucky in that I had been in IT for a long time, took that money and used it to learn Cisco; have a friend of a friend, he used his GI Bill money out of the Marine Corp and learned Cisco, took him a long time (worked every crap support job possible before his first real network gig), but now he's a CCIE R&S making a nice living. I did all kinds of support for one company and left to work on my CCNA, after receiving it, my old manager recruited me to come back and do networking for him.

I met with a Cisco Solution Provider last month, met a 21/22 year old who was one of their CCIE Voice guys, it's never to early (or late) to start.