Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
As far as I can tell, you can only siphon gasoline out. It doesn't seem to want to siphon out water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I gave up on Cataclysm awhile back when it looked like development had stopped, looks like now's the time to try and get back into it though.

Oh and just fyi, the Dropbox link for GDA on the first page seems to be broken.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, someone else is maintaining it. You can get the latest build from last page in one of picrofts posts.

So, after a lot of testing, it does seem that you cannot get water out of a water tank except by drinking from the RV unit. Maybe you could make it work like the toilets do instead, picroft?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Yeah, someone else is maintaining it. You can get the latest build from last page in one of picrofts posts.

So, after a lot of testing, it does seem that you cannot get water out of a water tank except by drinking from the RV unit. Maybe you could make it work like the toilets do instead, picroft?

I'll take a look. I'll see about adding skill books for martial arts styles, for some reason I thought they were already in.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

PiCroft posted:

I'll take a look. I'll see about adding skill books for martial arts styles, for some reason I thought they were already in.

Awesome.

Speaking of things that are oddly missing from the game, how come there aren't any welding trucks in the near future apocalypse?

edit: Goddamnit, this game was addictive enough before I actually started living longer than a few days. Vehicles are just dastardly fun to plan out. I feel like a kid with my plans for a post apocalyptic tank. I just wish that crafting accounted for items in containers. Not being able to cook with the inventory of my kitchen is frustrating. Still, I can't complain, the issues are minor compared to driving cars through houses and swarms of zombies. A workbench that's like the kitchen for soldering iron and such, and a upgraded kitchen that has the other two kitchen tools is about all I could really ask for. Hopefully your power modifications will fit the bill when you release them.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 16, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I love it when car physics go wonky. In my current game, I got stuck between two cars with me vehicle. I kept bouncing back and forth, getting faster every time. Eventually, the physics said "gently caress it," made me stop dead and then propelled one of the cars I was bouncing against through the whole loving city at like a million miles per hour. It punched clean through at least four buildings.

I'm hoping there will be a "superman mode" Easter egg at some point that allows you to pick up cars and throw them, because goddamn destructible environments are fun.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cardiovorax posted:

I love it when car physics go wonky. In my current game, I got stuck between two cars with me vehicle. I kept bouncing back and forth, getting faster every time. Eventually, the physics said "gently caress it," made me stop dead and then propelled one of the cars I was bouncing against through the whole loving city at like a million miles per hour. It punched clean through at least four buildings.

I'm hoping there will be a "superman mode" Easter egg at some point that allows you to pick up cars and throw them, because goddamn destructible environments are fun.

Did it at least kill some zombies? 'Cause that sounds hilarious!

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Cardiovorax posted:

If this game had a gravity gun I would never stop playing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've been trying to figure out how to make [s]mashing a car actually punt it around the place like crashing into it with a vehicle does. Maybe I'll manage it one of these days.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Cardiovorax posted:

I've been trying to figure out how to make [s]mashing a car actually punt it around the place like crashing into it with a vehicle does. Maybe I'll manage it one of these days.

Hulk mutations. Make it happen.

Also, speaking of destruction being the best, it'd be amazing if you could mount LAW's onto your vehicles and shoot them forward like the batmobile.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I put in the ability to siphon water from a vehicle in the same way you can siphon fuel. I don't think there's any such thing as a vehicle with a pre-existing (filled) water tank but if you, like Killer-of-Lawyers, have a kitchen unit and a water tank and want to drain it for any reason, now you can.

Urrrgh sorry for the length of time it takes to do stuff, I have the attention span of a magpie in the Aluminium Appreciation Society annual Disco.

I'm making progress on the electricity stuff but its going to be a while yet before its ready for a build. I'm going to need to rejig the furniture system to allow them to do things like change states and perform behavior based on powered/unpowered states.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
No rush man, trust me, we're all tickled pink to have someone put in suggestions like that. Don't apologize.

edit: Does this game keep crashlogs? There's a certain part of town that crashes me without fail.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 17, 2013

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

0.7 is out already, with a bunch of new bionics.

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=2330.0

Probability Travel Bionic (walk through walls!)
Railgun Bionic (throw metal items at the speed of electricity!)
Flashbang bionic.
Shockwave Generator bionic.
Chain Lightning bionic.
Artificial Night bionic.

Also a ton of bug fixes, but I think most of those were in the nightly builds.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Is it frowned upon to make general requests of things we'd like to see in game? Because I was just reading about smashing cars into zombies and it occurred to me how much fun it would be to have a nanosuit a la Crysis as a high-end armor. Maybe something where you'd have to install bionics to activate its functions and it would run off of your internal battery. Really I just want to go Maximum Strength and punt a tree into a jabberwock.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Wild T posted:

Is it frowned upon to make general requests of things we'd like to see in game? Because I was just reading about smashing cars into zombies and it occurred to me how much fun it would be to have a nanosuit a la Crysis as a high-end armor. Maybe something where you'd have to install bionics to activate its functions and it would run off of your internal battery. Really I just want to go Maximum Strength and punt a tree into a jabberwock.

There is already power armor that, when you install an interface bionic, runs off your internal power.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Just wanted to post to say that now that I'm back home, I tried the newest DDA version and it fixes all the issues I had with text wrapping, and of course the other issues I mentioned.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Oooh, it's got a folding bycicle you can stash in your trunk! Perfect! Still wish we could hitch trailers and store vehicles on trailers though.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Is there anyway to disable the Metabolic Interchange bionic? I installed this thing for the first time and its driving me crazy, it seems like I am constantly hungry even just using really basic bionics.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So how do you use electrohacks, anyways? There doesn't seem to be a way to apply it to a console or anything.

edit: Nevermind, they only work on keycard readers, not the consoles. Duh.

New Question: Can I stack solar bionics to recharge faster?

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 18, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Is there anyway to disable the Metabolic Interchange bionic? I installed this thing for the first time and its driving me crazy, it seems like I am constantly hungry even just using really basic bionics.
In the latest nightly in has been turned into a bionic that you can turn on and off. Guess it's time to upgrade for you.

narcoticgoldfish
Oct 30, 2007

Wild T posted:

Is it frowned upon to make general requests of things we'd like to see in game?

Funny that you should mention this - I've got some spare time on my hands and an itch in my jock to play with some code, and I've just started talking with Pi about adding in some early game content. I'm taking requests, though I can't promise delivery until I cut my teeth on the..."unique"...coding structure employed by the author. I've started with a few bits and pieces, and so far it's all coming together. I've got about half of everything listed below added in, and am working on the other half now; once I've got it all put together and balanced out, I'll push it to Pi's Git build. I'm hoping to have it all together by Monday (drat you, job/summer Steam sale!)

-Added weapons:

Wooden sword: a more bashy alternative to the pointy stick. A starting point for many later crafts, survival and cutting are what will allow you to craft the ULTIMAT SWURDSMAN.

UPCOMING (UC):"Flamethrower": Favored by countless hooligans in years past, this lighter duct taped to a spray can is probably as dangerous to the user as anyone else.

Crude Mace: A more bashy alternative to the already quite bashy alternative that is the wooden sword. A starting point for many later crafts, bashing and survival will take you a long way down the road of creating the ultimate MIGHTY MURDER MACE MAN!

UC: Simple anti personnel grenade: a gallon jug filled with gasoline and BBs, guaranteed to ruin any zombies day.

UC: Tesla rod: A bunch of copper wire twisted into a bundle with a rubber grip, hooked directly to a car battery carried on the belt. This short range electric weapon has been known to start fires in rare instances.

More ambitious projects coming down the road:

UC: Tripmine: A piece of string tied at one end to a stationary object, and the pin of a grenade at the other. Simple and effective, great for clearing the horde currently on your tail. Once I get it to stop blowing the character up as well.

UC: Gravity Gun: Finally, physics are useful for more than pick up lines! This one is probably going to be a son of a bitch to get working, from what I have played with so far.

- Added armors:

UC: -"Michelin Man" suit: strips of tires cut into the crude semblance of armor, this suit (helm, chestplate, arm & leg pieces) offers a decent amount of protection, but is heavy and stifling.

-"Bookplate": a breastplate fashioned from several books bound together with duct tape, this makeshift suit offers little in the way of protection.

-"Scrap Suit": A suit of armor forged from scraps of metal; provides decent protection, but the loose collection of plates jangles and clangs as you walk.

UC: - Wooden Shield: Three 2x4s crudely held together with twine, this shield offers a decent mix of protection and portability.

-Added professions:

Chef: Bork bork! Years in the kitchen have left you carrying a prodigious bulk, but you start with a butcher knife, Chef's uniform and the ability to whip up some mean grub.Just make sure you don't wind up on the menu!

LARPer: Garbed in your festival finery, you stand with sword in hand, ready to cut down the approaching hordes and score some sweet, sweet loot. Too bad you can't find any turkey legs in the apocalypse..

Furry: Reviled in the few circles aware of your existence, your hygiene leaves much to be desired. Actually, everything about you leaves much to be desired, but at least your fur suit provides a modicum of protection against the slavering jaws of the undead.

UC: Ant King: Years among the radioactive ants gave you ample time to collection chitinous pieces and fashion them into a suit of armor; when the dead finally found your secluded campsite, you were ready.

Bird Watcher: Caught in the middle of the cataclysm while on a jaunt for cardinals and hawks, you thankfully were far enough away from town to make a run to the local shelter.

UC: Security Guard: It was easy enough to abandon Nordstrom to the undead, but now you wish you had thought to carry more ammunition.

UC: Migrant Worker: You have learned a variety of skills over the years, none of which is English. You start the game with a bonus to your core skills, but are unable to read or use computers.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are always welcome; I have PMs and will be checking this thread pretty regularly, so fire away!

Edit: me spul gud.

narcoticgoldfish fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 18, 2013

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
That is a pretty impressive list of stuff. Especially happy that you're gonna try to make a gravity gun, I can only imagine how tough to implement it's gonna be.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The weapons and armor sound mostly fairly redundant, but I like the new professions. I like the idea of professions as less of a role-playing option, but more of a package deal of abilities (and disadvantages) that you get to pick at a discount, with the downside that you can only take the whole thing or nothing at all.

[edit] The wooden shield is a pretty neat idea, though. How are you planning to implement it? I'm thinking a half-encumbrance alternative to armor sleeves, but at the cost of making you unable to wield two-handed weapons.

narcoticgoldfish
Oct 30, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

The weapons and armor sound mostly fairly redundant, but I like the new professions. I like the idea of professions as less of a role-playing option, but more of a package deal of abilities (and disadvantages) that you get to pick at a discount, with the downside that you can only take the whole thing or nothing at all.

[edit] The wooden shield is a pretty neat idea, though. How are you planning to implement it? I'm thinking a half-encumbrance alternative to armor sleeves, but at the cost of making you unable to wield two-handed weapons.

Good point on the redundancy thing! I was tired of running around with a pointy stick, though - and this way, new players will have a few choices to make about an early game weapon, which they can then hold onto and upgrade over the course of the entire game, and the branches do split wildly as levels progress. For instance, right now the third-tier mace I am playing with sparks fires on every hit (note: apartment towers are not your friend when using this) and the third tier sword has an effect that occasionally gibs an enemy outright; at high levels of cutting, you don't even have to worry about cleanup (as much, at least). We think fairly similar on the package deals - my idea of balance thus far is packages offer 1-3 points off the total of whatever gains you grab from it, but there is always a negative effect of some sort riding along (the chef, for instance, starts with the "ponderous" mutation which nets him -10% move points, which is a pretty hard hit early in the game)

I'm still playing around with various methods of adding the shield in; so far, it looks like +weak block or what have you only applies to the area the item covers, which isn't much use if I just flag it as arms or hands. I could flag it as covering all the body slots, but then you have to worry about encumbrance. So far, the best option seems to be setting the encumbrance of the shield at -1 to offset the addition of "adding" it to all body parts to maintain coverage, but I'm working on a more elegant solution that will allow for penalities to using 2-handed weapons, if it's possible. This is my first time ever coding in, well, anything, so it might take me a bit to puzzle that particular one out!

Dyzzy - someone mentioned the gun in this thread (was it you?) and I nearly poo poo myself envisioning just how amazing such a thing would be; I need a life and a new change of pants, but I'll be damned if it didn't get the old wheels churning right along.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Haha yeah it was me. I would love it even if it were a "select nearby object, throw at enemy for X% increased damage" sort of thing, but being able to punt cars around and grab things from a distance would be super rad.

I don't even care if it takes more power than the entire town, I would find a way.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Vehicle mounted version could be amazing. Maybe something like the magnetic bionics that pull metal items to you, but for mounting on a vehicle and it pulls cars towards you?

Edit: And since we're taking suggestions, being able to tow stuff with vehicles would be a swell change. No idea how complicated it would be, but it can't be much harder than a gravity gun.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 18, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The gravity gun strikes me as something that should be a fun cheat option, rather than an in-game item.

I mean, Cataclysm already has enough poo poo stolen outright from other sources, and if it's powerful enough to be as fun as we're all hoping, it sounds imbalancing in regular play anyway.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Well, no argument there, though a character in the end-game will have a ton of stuff going their way as it is.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Cataclysm doesn't strike me as a particularly balanced game. In the early game there's a bunch of stuff that spells a high probability of an imminent death but once you've picked your choice of weaponry and leveled your skills a bit you do become an unstoppable force, being able to do even more ridiculous stuff won't really detract from the game.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
That's why I'm holding my breath anxiously for NPCs to be expanded. More monsters and zombies are one thing, but you being well-equipped enough will always be a counter. An NPC would be able to literally match your capability. Imagine running into an NPC survivor, skilled and equipped as well (or better) than you? You'd be poaching coyotes near your shelter when bam you're suddenly crippled by an arrow and there's another mutated cyborg killing machine gunning for you with a katana.

Or even better, a community of relatively frail but well-armed NPCs manning the walls of a well-defended fort. They're sitting on prime real estate and massive amounts of raw materials, but defending it with some of the best weapons available in the post-cataclysmic world. Do you try to talk to them, to get them to let you in (for a price) and allow you to share their riches? Or do you ram your death-mobile through their fortifications and massacre them all in a hail of bullets? Do you become Mad Max, or the Lord Humongous?!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I haven't played since whales stopped doing dev on it but I can certainly remember some spectacular deaths at the hands of NPCs in the older versions. A lot of them had twitchy trigger fingers. Or they'd decide to stick me up in the middle of nowhere and take all of my painkillers, nevermind that I'm currently bleeding from every orifice and can barely walk from the pain. Or them deciding that the best way to handle a single zombie lumbering towards them from 20 tiles away is to start unloading shotgun blast after shotgun blast. By the time the zombie was close enough for the shotgun to do any damage there were 90 more of them coming to see what all the noise was about.

I eventually got to the point where I avoided them as much as I could, handled them very cautiously when I couldn't, and would shoot them the instant they even looked like they were about to do something stupid. NPCs were good times. Shame they were always so buggy.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Personally, I'm just waiting for somebody to implement a way to build a still and craft liquor. I just want my character to sit on my survival shelter's front porch with a shotgun drinking whiskey and taking pot shots at rabbits.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Well, there's a external file for modifying recipes, but it looks like you still need to edit the actual code to put the stuff in. Otherwise I would add brewing and distilling. Being able to brew beer, wine, and other things, and distill it down to make brandy and whisky would be amazing. Of course, this would go even better with some kind of farming system, then the fusion of Cataclysm with Unrealworld will be done.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Zoe posted:

I gave up on Cataclysm awhile back when it looked like development had stopped, looks like now's the time to try and get back into it though.

Oh and just fyi, the Dropbox link for GDA on the first page seems to be broken.

I'll update it tomorrow. I should probably catch up on this, I've been non-stop busy with my game for the SA jam I haven't had time to keep tabs on this thread.

Edit: hahaha that furry profession is gonna be really funny if my code trap for that fursuit is still in the game...

Calipark fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 20, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Code trap? :allears:

Edit: Smoke is just insane at the moment. Cooking with anything larger than a skewer is likely to leave you almost literally coughing a lung out, and the less said about smoker zombies the better.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 20, 2013

narcoticgoldfish
Oct 30, 2007

Jon93 posted:

hahaha that furry profession is gonna be really funny if my code trap for that fursuit is still in the game...

Hell yeah it's still in there ! In fact, discovering that little treat is what inspired me to add the profession in the first place. That's half the fun of the profession; the other half is chugging the half-dozen mutagenic vials you start with and seeing what sort of terrible mutations pop up.

The still sounds like an amazing idea, and doubly so if you're running ethanol for your bionics; combine that with the idea another poster had concerning NPCs and I can already see the mountain men defending their pot likker with a rusty assortment of shotguns and pitchforks. I can add the still in fairly easily, I believe; I'll get to cracking on it after work today. I'm thinking a few tiers, starting with pot likker and roach reduction, then white lightning and finally Bilaliquor or Bilabooze (for anyone who makes a suggestion that is incorporated into the game,, I'll do my best to include your SA handle/name/sly reference to genitalia in the game - within reason, of course. For instance, the gravity gun I am working on makes a "dyzzt!" sound upon firing, and comes from the fine and fertile minds of Dyzzy INC.)

Smokers are the most dangerous zombie mob by far; I've died more times from hacking a lung up than I have from, well, anything. However, you can wear a filter mask or similar to diffuse the effects of smoke, so at least there exists a counter. Maybe I should look into making cough drops or somesuch to counteract the inhalation if you're caught without a mask...add another one to the list!

Speaking of lists, I've got 3/4 of the changelog I posted earlier added in and am on track for a Monday evening (EST) push if all goes well. I'm getting a bit more comfortable with the code - I'm going to be delving into the NPC system in a bit to see what good, if any, I can do there. The forts are an amazing idea, but I'm also thinking that a group of followers would also add another dimension to the game. Keep a watch out for Fort Frog, everyone - I hear that it's full of machete weilding MS13 members sitting on a literal ton of meth!

Edit: eff you, iphone.

narcoticgoldfish fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 20, 2013

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there code that would allow for monsters to spawn only in daytime or nighttime? That would be another good way to structure gameplay, I think, along with seasonal enemies.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
drat it, stop promising all these great things for future versions, I'll never get anywhere in my current game.

(Obviously kidding, you guys do great work, carry on. If I had any head for code I'd get into this myself.)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
re: smoke - I can't count the number of times I straight out coughed myself to death, fumbling around seeing absolutely nothing. The first time it was 100% my fault because I thought it was good idea to just light up random pile of wood indoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I wonder, is it possible to have recipes require the rotten version of things? Because you could make a pretty good brewing system that way. Boil up some wort, let it go bad over a week or so, then either bottle it or distill it into beer brandy.