Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Der Shovel posted:

They know, it's been a known issue for months, but apparently they can't figure out what's causing it so it's probably not getting fixed any time soon.

Also it's not just teenager memories: Luigi's Mansion (when it works) is actually pretty drat atmospheric. They do really neat stuff with shadows and light.

Is there an older version that displays the game correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortilla Tequila
Nov 4, 2009
I looked in a couple other forums, but couldn't find anything. Is there an HD HUD replacement pack for Monster Hunter Tri?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Playing Xenoblade right now and enjoying it. Has anyone ever found out a satisfactory resolution to the problems with that game's audio? I'm tempted to try the patch but it seems to cause crashes...

Also, is there a turbo button in Dolphin I can map to my controller? Or a decent turbo feature to begin with?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You can fix the audio by playing in LLE, but it's really demanding and I don't think runs at full speed for anyone but people with really high end CPUs. Outside of that, the only other solution is to use one of the patched builds. They aren't really any more crash prone than regular Dolphin.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Radio Talmudist posted:

Playing Xenoblade right now and enjoying it. Has anyone ever found out a satisfactory resolution to the problems with that game's audio? I'm tempted to try the patch but it seems to cause crashes...

Also, is there a turbo button in Dolphin I can map to my controller? Or a decent turbo feature to begin with?

I just posted in the Xenoblade thread that, seemingly, the latest development build, using XAudio 2 under the HLE DSP, works fine. You also have to go to the game properties in the Dolphin main menu, uncheck Idle Skipping, and check VBeam Speed Hack. So far so good for me since I tried that.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I just posted in the Xenoblade thread that, seemingly, the latest development build, using XAudio 2 under the HLE DSP, works fine. You also have to go to the game properties in the Dolphin main menu, uncheck Idle Skipping, and check VBeam Speed Hack. So far so good for me since I tried that.

Thank you! Is there a particular way to transfer save states across versions of Dolphin?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Not saying you're wrong, but due to the nature of the audio problem, you can go an hour or more before it crops up, so are you sure it's fixed doing this? How much of an impact does turning Idle Skipping have on game performance? I always thought Idle Skipping was a really significant speed boost and turning it off causes performance to go to poo poo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Had it going for an hour and a half this morning before my controller batteries died (:argh:), and there was the odd pop (usually closely associated with the game hitching on a complicated scene/loading), but it never came back in force. :shrug:

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
I've played 10 hours of Xenoblade in Dolphin using a recent development build and I've had no audio problems.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Speaking of Operation Rainfall games, can anyone say how well Dolphin handles Last Story? I've been meaning to get back into both it and Xenoblade, but my aging Wii has a hard-rear end time trying to read the double-layered discs and I'm getting sick of having to insert and eject the disc 20 times before the Wii can read it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Unless something has changed since it was released (and it's entirely possible it has); terribly. My computer can emulate nearly anything, but I was stuck at ~17 FPS after the first chapter, even with all the fancy graphics enhancements off.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Anyone here know how Dolphin handles the Metroid Prime trilogy? I really want to replay the games in HD.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Last Story is incredibly hardware intensive, yes. Some sections even slow the actual Wii down to like ~10 FPS. I don't think you'll be able to run that well on Dolphin unless you have a super overclocked processor. Probably need some fancy GPU settings enabled too to properly display the customizable equipment.

Very good game though.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Elswyyr posted:

Anyone here know how Dolphin handles the Metroid Prime trilogy? I really want to replay the games in HD.

I've had some success playing the first GCN one (on a mac no less.) According to the Wiki: https://dolphin-emu.org/compat/M/ ymmv depending on which version of the games you have. Make sure to check out the test entries.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
It seems to run just fine, just slow (50% emulation speed). Any particular settings I should use that aren't on the wiki?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Can someone post the links/info for the best Xenoblade experience?

I have decided that I don't need sleep tonight, and want to see if I can get all this up and running before I pass out.

*edit*
Could use some help if anyone has time. I have ripped my copy of xenoblades and received a 4,194,304KB ISO. I copied it over to my PC and then pointed dolphin to it. When I launch the game I get a white screen that shows dolphin core info at top and after about 10 seconds I get a black screen that just has the FPS in the upper left hand corner. No sound or anything.

What did I do wrong?

*edit 2*
Ok I think cdriper failed at some point with no error. I loaded usb loader GX and it showed the file size as 6+ GB. So I am in process of re ripping now.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 13, 2013

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Does anyone have some settings I could use to get Viewtiful Joe to not look worse than it did on an old CRT tv back when it was new? It's all grainy and just looks horrendous, as in I'd play it on my Wii if the that didn't also look terrible, like the scaling's all wrong or something.

I just wanna play VJ again. Google hasn't helped nor did that link with settings in, so just hoping one of you has messed around enough with it to find something that works!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Balobam posted:

Does anyone have some settings I could use to get Viewtiful Joe to not look worse than it did on an old CRT tv back when it was new? It's all grainy and just looks horrendous, as in I'd play it on my Wii if the that didn't also look terrible, like the scaling's all wrong or something.

I just wanna play VJ again. Google hasn't helped nor did that link with settings in, so just hoping one of you has messed around enough with it to find something that works!

You've tried upping the internal resolution, right?

Also, just got Xenoblade working on Dolphin to replace my Wii's crappy, dying disk drive and god drat I have never seen a game that benefits quite so much from going HD. So pretty. :stare:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
So I have been playing Xenoblade for about 4 hours now, and everything was working perfectly. No audio skips, running really clean 1080p and everything.

I am working on the colony 9 collection stuff at the begging so I am swimming around, and out of nowhere the graphics "dumb down" to the wii resolution as I get close to Hazzai Cape. If I leave the cape the graphics render in HQ again. So I figured maybe it's just a bug. Restarted my pc/dolphin/game same thing. I can 100% produce this issue. But since Hazzai cape is a tiny island and Id on't need to go there now I moved on.

About an hour later I am ready to enter Tephra cave. Enter a cutscene that dumbs down to wii graphics, and then the cave itself is all in wii resolution. If I leave the cave everything goes back to the dolphin render settings, as soon as I enter the cave they go back to wii reslution.

Has anyone run into this, and is there a fix? I'm not sure I want to blindly poke at my dolphin settings cause it took me fooorever to finally get the game to not have audio issues.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

You've tried upping the internal resolution, right?

Also, just got Xenoblade working on Dolphin to replace my Wii's crappy, dying disk drive and god drat I have never seen a game that benefits quite so much from going HD. So pretty. :stare:

Yup, of course, but didn't help unfortunately. Ah well.

Either way, is there a way to move saves from my Wii onto my PC? Would love to play Xenoblades in crisp HD, plus the convenience of it being on my PC.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

For your texture thing: Go to Graphics > Hacks and check your External Frame Buffer settings. For example, I have the buffer set to Virtual and the Copies set to RAM and that happens occasionally.

Getting those less accurate should give you more HD in more places (unless you disable EFB Copies, which will ruin everything), but it'll also make the little screenshots on your saves a garbled mess (if you care about that).

As for saves, try Tools > Wii Save Import. And if you ever want to put it back, right-click on the game and choose Export.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
So I think my PC just flat can't handle the bigger fights in this. I just got the the spider fight in Tephra Cave and the fight is 20 fps. Granted it's a smooth 20fps but everything is moving sooooo slooow. As the things die the FPS improves.

I can't remember, but when playing on the wii, did that fight bog down the wii a bit? Am I just expecting way too much?

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

For your texture thing: Go to Graphics > Hacks and check your External Frame Buffer settings. For example, I have the buffer set to Virtual and the Copies set to RAM and that happens occasionally.

Getting those less accurate should give you more HD in more places (unless you disable EFB Copies, which will ruin everything), but it'll also make the little screenshots on your saves a garbled mess (if you care about that).

As for saves, try Tools > Wii Save Import. And if you ever want to put it back, right-click on the game and choose Export.

Holy crap. Apparently my EFB was disabled, enabling it and switching to virtual and it looks fantastic

So thanks for that! Like a lot, really wanted to play it again and now it just looks so drat crisp and god drat. Much appreciated, and cheers for the save help, hopefully get xenoblades looking this good now.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Is the official Dolphin site down? I've been trying to get into Gamecube emulation for a few days now, keep checking back and none of the links in the OP work for me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Elswyyr posted:

More importantly is it possible to play with a mouse for aiming?

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Is the official Dolphin site down? I've been trying to get into Gamecube emulation for a few days now, keep checking back and none of the links in the OP work for me.

https://dolphin-emu.org still works for me. Haven't noticed it down for any extended period of time that I can remember...

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently there's a branch out now with network support, anyone have any success with it yet?

https://dolphin-emu.org/download/list/wii-network/

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I wonder if that build allows tunnelling for Gamecube games that allowed you to use LAN play. There was a way to do it with the Gamecube itself, for games like Mario Kart: Double Dash and Kirby Air Ride, but it was limited by the fact that the games weren't designed to handle lag, since it assumed that they wouldn't be separated by an internet connection.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's very much incomplete and hasn't been updated in months.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is there still only something like this for GCN to PC adapters? The limitation being that the shoulder buttons are going to be treated as digital rather than analog. It's been a long while since I've played some of my Gamecube games but what are some examples of stuff that wouldn't work properly as a result of not having this done properly?

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

Nate RFB posted:

Is there still only something like this for GCN to PC adapters? The limitation being that the shoulder buttons are going to be treated as digital rather than analog. It's been a long while since I've played some of my Gamecube games but what are some examples of stuff that wouldn't work properly as a result of not having this done properly?

I use 4 of these adapters, which work with wavebirds:
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gamecube_to_usb/index.php

I'll check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure the analog triggers work properly (tested with super smash bros melee, which uses them for varying levels of shielding).

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So does anyone know whats going on with Overlord Dark Legend?

It used to barely work back in 3.0. You couldn't fast travel since opening the map would crash the game ( Backpatch Error ), but it was technically playable. It ran horribly on beastly machines though, so it wasn't really "playable" in the fun sense.

I decided to pick it up again recently, and it runs fine now. The dialogue issues have been fixed, it runs smoothly, etc. Except now it crashes not only on loading the map, but on any level loads ( Same thing, the Backpatch Error ). So it's completely unplayable, as the second you have to load up the Castle Throne Room, it crashes the game.

I checked on the forums/error reporting site, and apparently people have been reporting the issue forever now, and it's just been ignored. Hell, the error report is still labeled as just being an issue on the map, not as an issue with loads as well, just because the guy who posted it did it so long ago.

I'm just curious whats up. Are Backpatch Errors some sort of crazy unfixable thing, and everyone basically gave up on it? It's strange, as it's the most broken game I've found through Dolphin, yet there doesn't seem to be a single person who has even looked at it for a year plus now.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

I said come in! posted:

More importantly is it possible to play with a mouse for aiming?

I tried to get Pikmin to work with a mouse the other day and had a problem where the cursor would autocenter, so I couldn't use my mouse like a wiimote. It seems like it's designed for a controller, I'm sure there's a way to disable the autocenter but I couldn't find it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

KracKiwi posted:

I use 4 of these adapters, which work with wavebirds:
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gamecube_to_usb/index.php

I'll check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure the analog triggers work properly (tested with super smash bros melee, which uses them for varying levels of shielding).
Yeah, this seems to work just fine. Thanks!

As a result, I've finally given this a bit of a go. How out of date are some of the comments under "State"? For example the one I got for Metroid Prime 1 claimed that the heat visor didn't work and that there was no boss music, both of which seem to be not true.

It looks like I have a few sound glitches under HLE, but LLE makes my system stutter. Guess I'll have to live with the glitches until I upgrade a few years down the road.

Another thing I noticed that I hadn't thought about before is the concept of the Internal Resolution vs. Displayed resolution; there's a warning in Dolphin that says your Displayed or Fullscreen resolution should be equal to or greater than the Internal. But in many ways doesn't mean you really only should run 2x? 1440 pixels high at 3x is going to be taller than most people's vertical resolution after all. In other words, you wouldn't be gaining very much by going above 2x. How accurate is this assessment? And would the same thing apply to PCSX2?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I'm not exactly sure what's going on but 'down' on the nunchuck doesn't work, it makes me go up for some reason. I've tried binding it to different buttons/sticks and on every game it registers as up. How do I fix this? I'm using a logitech gamepad F510, can't seem to find any answers online.

Guess I'll just pick up a blutooth adapter and use my wiimotes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Dolphin 4.0 is out, haven't had a chance to try it out yet though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

VDay posted:

Dolphin 4.0 is out, haven't had a chance to try it out yet though.

Seems cool. I'm hoping it'll run Xenoblade well, even on a mac.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So far it's giving me a couple of performance boosts off of the last SVN build I installed, which is nice. And I like the UI cleanup.

Please note that the only game I play in Dolphin is Mr. Driller: Drill Land, though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

quote:

Beta support for the Wii official online multiplayer (Documentation)
This is a feature that has been coming for a long time. More than two years ago, Matthew Parlane and Shawn Hoffman started working on emulating the Wii Wi-Fi networking API in order to run Wii online multiplayer games inside Dolphin. While it was not an easy change in itself, it also required a lot of modifications to core components of the emulator to be implemented properly (for example asynchronous IPC HLE) and a lot of debugging. It is now working well enough that we are releasing it to the public as a beta: don't expect everything to work, but popular games like Mario Kart Wii or Super Smash Bros Brawl can be played online right now.

Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So they access official Nintendo servers and can play with actual Wii hardware? I'm not sure how it works, but I do wonder how much longer Nintnedo will even keep the Wii's online network up.

• Locked thread