Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Great choice of team name, considering the circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StimpyBoy
Nov 27, 2002
I am the ones who are the balllickers.
Grimey Drawer
I have debated changing the team name to "Nothing But Problems Rally", because it really feels that way.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

some texas redneck posted:

Happened on my F-150 too. Dented the poo poo out of the quarter panel and made a mess of the (pretty much new) exhaust. Except mine somehow still held air. :downs:

Made the truck jump pretty good too.

e: to contribute:

holy loving poo poo! Someone busted some pinion teeth off and then drove/tried to drive with that catching and jerking for a LONG time.

IPCRESS posted:

Looks like someone's welded the crown wheel trying to lock the diff. But no-one's that stupid. Are they?

Nah, that's a clear case of a bad ring/pinion setup and/or abuse wiping the teeth off the pinion gear, then the rotation of the ring gear and the attempted rotation of the pinion gear (probably from keeping driving using the other diff while that one just catches and snags repeatedly) ripping teeth off of it until there just weren't any left.

Supposedly they didn't know how to set up the diff, I don't know enough about diffs to guess though.

It's time consuming, but not really that complex. If the contact pattern was wrong (too far from the center of the teeth in any direction) or the bearing preload wasn't high enough it could easily cause this. Too little backlash (contact pattern too far into the valleys between the ring gear teeth) would cause excessive heat and detemper the gears, resulting in quick failure, too much backlash or the contact pattern being too far toward the heel or toe of the ring gear teeth could easily just make the teeth break off the first time someone accelerated hard.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Happened on my F-150 too. Dented the poo poo out of the quarter panel and made a mess of the (pretty much new) exhaust. Except mine somehow still held air. :downs:

Made the truck jump pretty good too.

e: to contribute:

Catastrophic violence transmission

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A workmate had sheared a wheelbolt, and seeing as he was going to need to replace the hub anyway, we decided to have a crack at getting it out. You know how this normally results in the extractor snapping off?

Well, that's a new one.

We then decided what the hell, we'd try it again, but we didn't have another tap handle, so had to use a ratched with a suitable size socket on it. This successfully snapped the extractor.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Looks like an unlimited slip differential.
I'll admit it, I laughed harder at this than I probably should have.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IPCRESS posted:

Looks like someone's welded the crown wheel trying to lock the diff. But no-one's that stupid. Are they?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That was a pretty great troll thread on Pirate.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

A workmate had sheared a wheelbolt, and seeing as he was going to need to replace the hub anyway, we decided to have a crack at getting it out. You know how this normally results in the extractor snapping off?

Something's missing.

That's better

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

buttcrackmenace posted:

Something's missing.

That's better
:golfclap:

At least they know what kind of car hit them.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Crossposting from the stupid questions thread:

My friend had this motor for almost a year, I really wish we thought to remove the valve cover earlier.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InitialDave posted:

:golfclap:

At least they know what kind of car hit them.

Jesus that Audi must have been going bloody quick to cause that amount of damage :stare:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You Am I posted:

Jesus that Audi must have been going bloody quick to cause that amount of damage :stare:

It's an Audi. It either gets driven really quickly until it slams into something else or it gets driven slowly until it needs a new timing chain, at which point it gets sold cheap to someone who will drive it quickly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

OneStopShop posted:

Crossposting from the stupid questions thread:

My friend had this motor for almost a year, I really wish we thought to remove the valve cover earlier.

I'll bet the oil passages going to the head are completely blocked. Aaaah the SR-20 memories...

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

I really like how you just have that link lying around for whenever the welded diff picture gets posted.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Really blurry... unfortunately all I had was my blingin' flip phone from 1995.

What's wrong with this picture?

At first I thought it was an attempt at a block lift or block lowering that went horribly wrong due to the installer being an idiot, but then I realized... there is only one leaf of the leaf spring pack left. And that's a stack of 4 broken leaf spring pieces.

Whatever Ford did to the leaf springs they used in 1996 it wasn't a good idea.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

Whatever Ford did to cars in 1996 it wasn't a good idea.

Seriously though, I have never seen a failure like that. Are you sure someone didn't deliberately cut them to use like some sort of ghetto lowering or something?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It looks cut.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The pic does look cut, but it also looks like someone smeared a quarter inch layer of vaseline on the lens before I took the picture. When I checked the ends of the leafs they appeared fractured.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Just a reminder:

Neglecting to free and lubricate the caliper slides when you do a brake job is just as foolish as merely replacing your completely worn brake pads with the cheapest poo poo you can find and considering it a brake job in the first place. :eng101:

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

kastein posted:

Really blurry... unfortunately all I had was my blingin' flip phone from 1995.

What's wrong with this picture?

At first I thought it was an attempt at a block lift or block lowering that went horribly wrong due to the installer being an idiot, but then I realized... there is only one leaf of the leaf spring pack left. And that's a stack of 4 broken leaf spring pieces.

Whatever Ford did to the leaf springs they used in 1996 it wasn't a good idea.

Are you sure it's 4 broken pieces under the leaf? Ford used a weird single-leaf "pack" on the rear of some years of the Explorer back in the 90's. I don't know why they'd have the spacer underneath in that case, unless it was purely to let them use the same bottom plate and shock as the multi-leaf packs as a cost-savings measure.

edit: What a pain in the rear end it is finding a picture of the Ford monoleaf setup. It was found on 95-00 Sport models. This pic doesn't have the super thick spacer or stack of broken leaves like your find did.

murphle fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 17, 2013

Pope Ron Paul II
Feb 10, 2008
GodTube Ron Paul?

You Am I posted:

The current generation of drivers in Zurich or Solothurn are also shockingly bad according to Swiss standards. The fact they were in an Audi just compounds the stereotype.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
Brings a tear to my eye.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

StimpyBoy posted:

I have debated changing the team name to "Nothing But Problems Rally", because it really feels that way.

If you have any lowercase "i"s around you can throw one on upside down after the "No." Maybe add a comma after "Problem" as well.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Just scrape off everything but the word "Problem" and add an exclamation point.

"Problem!"

StimpyBoy
Nov 27, 2002
I am the ones who are the balllickers.
Grimey Drawer
This one would be more appropriate for rally people as well as offroaders :)

http://www.amazon.com/Problem-Offroad-Bumper-Sticker-Decal/dp/B001NQQ9WI

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pope Ron Paul II posted:

The current generation of drivers in Zurich or Solothurn are also shockingly bad according to Swiss standards. The fact they were in an Audi just compounds the stereotype.

Great. I'm going to be driving around Switzerland in about a week, I was counting on the typically rigid Swiss driving instruction to provide a relatively low-stress environment.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

Great. I'm going to be driving around Switzerland in about a week, I was counting on the typically rigid Swiss driving instruction to provide a relatively low-stress environment.

Near total failure of the ROPS :stare:

I expect there'll be a few interesting questions asked of the manufacturer abour that.

E: Unless it's the best forced perspective chalk drawing ever.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
If you look at the right edge of the picture there appears to be a ledge, so it might only be a partial failure. Which is only marginally less terrifying.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Do I win some sort of prize or a plague of broken extractors to come?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Looks like you win the chance to try again.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

DefaultPeanut posted:

No finger, no prize.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

DefaultPeanut posted:

peekaboo!

e: two left hands! :arghfist: Corrected.

e2: My high school art teacher would have given me poo poo about the underlying anatomy of this photo. One hand holds the ez-out, the other gestures triumphantly.
With which remaining appendage is the photographer supposed to have operated the camera?

here, have a template

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 19, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

buttcrackmenace posted:

e2: My old art teacher would have given me poo poo about the underlying anatomy of this photo. One hand holds the ez-out, the other gestures triumphantly.
With which remaining appendage is the photographer supposed to have operated the camera?

Google Glass :v:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Check and mate high school art teacher :smugdog:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My buddy was having a wobbly wheel that was diagnosed as a ball joint so I gave him a spare ball joint I had taken out of my car at low miles.

Here's the old one once what was left of the boot was removed:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
This was in the electrical A/T thread, but this is quite the mechanical failure for the gearheads here:

Overhead Crane Failure

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

This was in the electrical A/T thread, but this is quite the mechanical failure for the gearheads here:

Overhead Crane Failure

Until recently I didn't realize that purely industrial gas turbines were so large. I guess when it's not flying and pure power at any weight is the goal things get massive. 75 tons of rotating mass though? :catstare:

That compression ratio. :monocle:

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Previa_fun posted:

I guess when it's not flying and pure power at any weight is the goal things get massive. 75 tons of rotating mass though? :catstare:

Not like you are changing velocities much. Steady state, rotating mass isn't such a big deal. Probably helps damp vibrations if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sadi posted:

Not like you are changing velocities much. Steady state, rotating mass isn't such a big deal. Probably helps damp vibrations if anything.

They are designed to spin at an anti-resonant frequency so the vibrations are the lowest they can be.