Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

white privilege posted:

i pretty much want the entire middle east to burn. full on sunni-shia death war all over the region.

qtiyd

Also all ethnic groups in Afghanistan kill each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Pretty offensive to our Moslem brothers in arms, IMO

More seriously, I wouldn't wish the horrors of war on anyone, but most of the borders and governments in the region make no sense, sloppy leftovers of the colonials and the Ottomans, twisted by the Nazis and the Soviets. A slugmatch leading to a Peace of Westphalia reconstruction would probably vastly improve the region in the long run, for the survivors. But that's making the huge assumptions that the Sunni/Shia divide is remotely as bridgeable as Catholic / Protestant, or that it wouldn't devolve into nerve gassing each other en masse or nuking Israel as a side project.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Pro phone doublepostin'

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Pretty offensive to our Moslem brothers in arms, IMO

More seriously, I wouldn't wish the horrors of war on anyone, but most of the borders and governments in the region make no sense, sloppy leftovers of the colonials and the Ottomans, twisted by the Nazis and the Soviets. A slugmatch leading to a Peace of Westphalia reconstruction would probably vastly improve the region in the long run, for the survivors. But that's making the huge assumptions that the Sunni/Shia divide is remotely as bridgeable as Catholic / Protestant, or that it wouldn't devolve into nerve gassing each other en masse or nuking Israel as a side project.

Our options are kind of this (shitstorm), tinpot dictators, or actually caring enough to put half a million troops in the region. We did the dictator thing for a while and it tended to work. They kept the water running, bread on the table, and a monopoly on violence. The Sunni/Shi'ia divide is perfectly bridgable, all you have to do is be willing to kill anyone who has power and isn't part of the single party.

A lot of people are pessimistic about ever bringing Western-style guarantees of rights and non-tyrannical government to that region, stating that the culture is just too far removed from ours to be receptive to it. I don't think that's the case. I think citizens of Arab states just realize that elected governments in the region tend to be unable to consolidate enough power to have even a majority of control in a state, some don't even have a plurality of control (Yemen comes to mind). Divided control leads to lack of infrastructure which makes people hungry which makes them not care about ideals (which is why Egypt's Army, the thug/enforcer arm of the Mubarak criminal state, was recently welcomed back into power with open arms)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

I couldn’t take pictures because it would have embarrassed my stepson if I got all fanboy squee in front of his buddies. (He is in 14-04; this is 14-05′s patch and they were present for the Track Select for 14-04 where trainee pilots are told what kind of planes they’re going to be flying – my kid could have taken T-38 fighter track but he wants to be a commercial pilot so he picked T-1s which is the transport/tanker track.) Also the impression I got is that they vote on the patches and they have to get approved by the brass. This was their third try, so I don’t know how much was genuine and how much was irony but there was at least one non-brony who straight up refused to wear it and I overhead another complaining to his mom about it. But the flight instructor (who was a captain) was wearing it and he had no problems with his masculinity…

http://fashionablygeek.com/accessories/this-my-little-pony-patch-is-actually-being-worn-by-the-u-s-air-force/#sthash.nfZBMoKs.dpuf

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Well you just ruined my day.

TheOtherGypsy
Apr 6, 2004

quote:

my kid could have taken T-38 fighter track but he wants to be a commercial pilot so he picked T-1s which is the transport/tanker track

More like my kid sucks and couldn't get a -38 so he has to go T-1's instead and is justifying it with maybe getting an airline gig in 10+ years. No one cares what your class's patch is during UPT and no one cares after. It's how your class handles itself and acts that will earn a reputation that may (won't) follow you.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

Well you just ruined my day.
Hah. I apologize. Now have some French special forces flying low over Mali:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX5Ypcyuf_I

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
posted this in the AF thread yesterday, it's an actual pic:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Disband the Air Force

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

shyduck posted:

Disband the Air Force

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

why is it bronies the usaf has to deal with and not something normal like ICP fans

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Fallom posted:

why is it bronies the usaf has to deal with and not something normal like ICP fans

If it were Juggalos the Air Force could load them into their bomb bays and drop them on the enemy, except that given how many diseases those people carry it would probably count as biological warfare.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Fallom posted:

As glad as I am "jihadi pony" doesn't bring anything up in search, there's this:

Crusader ponies

I'm sure there's no sub-text there at all. Which one of you drew that?
Oh poo poo. I'm on a watch list now, aren't I?

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
Done, son. Good luck in SuperGitmo.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Fallom posted:

You say that, but I noticed during squadron PT that one of our enlisted has a hatchetman tattoo on his calf.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Had a juggalo in my last squadron. Really solid girl to; instead of divorcing her husband (who was in the squadron of 150-ish people too so not small really, they agreed to an open marriage (BAH shamming), and she went on to have a months-long dangerous liaison loving their flight commander.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Ok, I just have to know what kind of pistol that is.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Looks like a Ruger MKII or other .22 LR pistol. I assume it is for killing dogs or other animals. :smith:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Scoped Out Operator Kill Them Dogs

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

MRC48B posted:

Looks like a Ruger MKII or other .22 LR pistol. I assume it is for killing dogs or other animals. :smith:

"Hush Puppy"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Had a juggalo in my last squadron. Really solid girl to; instead of divorcing her husband (who was in the squadron of 150-ish people too so not small really, they agreed to an open marriage (BAH shamming), and she went on to have a months-long dangerous liaison loving their flight commander.

Sport's girl?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

Sport's girl?

Huh? Dunno that. She was disgusting, had a medical condition to which I'd tell people her skin would slough off. She also smelled like death.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Oh...it sounded like the girl in the story we already discussed.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

Oh...it sounded like the girl in the story we already discussed.

Maybe. I don't remember. There's a lot of poo poo heaps in AWACS.

A female Chinese fighter pilot.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

awesome.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
If this has been posted, I apologize, but while I could get them to unblock the forums in Europe, the pictures are still blocked, so I can't see what anybody's posted.

So... which of you Goons is this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

BaconAndBullets posted:

Ok, I just have to know what kind of pistol that is.

Ruger Mark II with a KAC 5.56 suppressor mounted on it. Shooter is Travis Haley, of the Blackwater Najaf video fame. IIRC he said that it was a joke pistol setup but with the aimpoint and paint scheme I don't get it.

sky shark fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 16, 2013

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

MRC48B posted:

Prefacing this question by saying that I'm not a service member.

I watched Generation Kill on HBO Go last month and the characters were really obsessed with killing dogs. Is it because they pose security risks (barking) or is it just because they are just dogs and you can shoot them?

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Beastie posted:

I watched Generation Kill on HBO Go last month and the characters were really obsessed with killing dogs. Is it because they pose security risks (barking) or is it just because they are just dogs and you can shoot them?

It's commonly because they are feral and carry all sorts of diseases, including rabies.
Not personal experience here eighter (I wear blue some weekends...), but quite a few friends and aquantances were in Kosovo.
Ethnic cleansing leaves behind a lot of feral dogs...

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Beastie posted:

Its because feral dogs are loving annoying and dangerous. They get into garbage, can be extremely territorial and carry disease.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Beastie posted:

As mentioned they're terrible for diseases. We had a burn pit right outside our FOB and for the first two or three months we had to go out there expecting to shoot at least one dog. They're nasty, wild feral animals that will actually attack your vehicle and try to bite the tires if you get anywhere near them, forget doing it on the ground. Some of them were rabid (not conjecture, they were foaming and acting all funny) so down they went.

Of course, you still have your fair amount of assholes that actually enjoy doing it. We did it because we had to for the safety of everybody, not for fun.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

In general, however, GiP loves doggies.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

We had a one-eyed cat that lived under our ops building. Apparently there were too many cats around the flightline, so a bunch of poison was laid out...poor One-Eyed Willy. :(

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax
gently caress you guys we kept pups we found as pets on our COP :3

Edit: today's terminal lance is relevant to this discussion.

http://terminallance.com/2013/07/16/terminal-lance-278-that-guy/

NIGGER DEATH TURBO fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Ah, I see.

War dogs!

• Locked thread