Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

LorneReams posted:

What's must know before I play Skyrim?

Smithing jewelry will make your smithing skill climb like a rocket and also give you more cash than you will know what to do with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Captain Novolin posted:

Smithing jewelry will make your smithing skill climb like a rocket and also give you more cash than you will know what to do with.

Smithing is crazy OP in that game. You can sit for a few hours making a thousand iron daggers and move straight to dragonbone armor.

ninja edit: a search has informed that this was patched out, and that crafting items no longer gives identical experience for every item. Higher value stuff gives more exp now.

That said, the items you craft are going to be way better than the loot you pick up after a point pretty early in the game.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Smithing is crazy OP in that game. You can sit for a few hours making a thousand iron daggers and move straight to dragonbone armor.

ninja edit: a search has informed that this was patched out, and that crafting items no longer gives identical experience for every item. Higher value stuff gives more exp now.

That said, the items you craft are going to be way better than the loot you pick up after a point pretty early in the game.

On top of that, even if you manage to find something better or even slightly worse than what you have, it's easy to just upgrade it to be worth it. Or just upgrade everything to sell it for a little more cash.

When you discover the orc settlement with the ebony mine you will break the game balance and economy like a twig made of dust.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Captain Novolin posted:

On top of that, even if you manage to find something better or even slightly worse than what you have, it's easy to just upgrade it to be worth it. Or just upgrade everything to sell it for a little more cash.

When you discover the orc settlement with the ebony mine you will break the game balance and economy like a twig made of dust.

Don't you need like Smithing 80 before you can do anything with ebony? By that point you should already be rolling in money.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

One thing I would've liked to know from the start was that there's a way to turn iron into gold and silver. The Alteration spell is in a mammoth poaching/merchant ambushing hideout north-northwest from Whiterun.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Flame112 posted:

Don't you need like Smithing 80 before you can do anything with ebony? By that point you should already be rolling in money.

Yeah, but if you sell the ore to the orc who buys it you can make a ton of dough early on.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
I'm sure this has been done to death, but what can you tell me about KOTOR 2? The Steam version if it matters.

I've never gotten to play more than a hour or so of it and after beating KOTOR on my iPad I figure it's time to play the superior one.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Dragonrah posted:

I'm sure this has been done to death, but what can you tell me about KOTOR 2? The Steam version if it matters.

I've never gotten to play more than a hour or so of it and after beating KOTOR on my iPad I figure it's time to play the superior one.

Install the Restored Content mod for it.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Some Fire Emblem Awakening questions that I couldn't find answers on the wiki:

Are the S-Rank relationships mandatory for everyone in your platoon?

Are there missables, if so are there important ones? New Game+?

Is there any way to repair weapons? I'm only on Chapter 8 and Forging seems to be a giant waste of income, unless there's a way to repair or use unbreakable items. .

Is the only way to grind through DLC or waiting on random monster events?

The game is surprisingly vague about a lot of things.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Dragonrah posted:

When it comes to becoming friends with your companions and learning their backstory, you need to have them sufficiently happy/angry with you. Doesn't matter if it is happy or angry, and some companions respond better to being treated like poo poo.

Most human, non-Jedi characters can be made into Jedi. It might be all, but I'm not 100% on that.

It is possible to beat the game with any build. I wouldn't try something like a blaster only run until you have beaten the game a couple of times and plan that poo poo out from level 1.

Unlike KOTOR 1, there isn't a level cap. There aren't any places to farm, unless you know/find re-spawning enemy exploits

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

Some Fire Emblem Awakening questions that I couldn't find answers on the wiki:

Are the S-Rank relationships mandatory for everyone in your platoon?

Are there missables, if so are there important ones? New Game+?

Is there any way to repair weapons? I'm only on Chapter 8 and Forging seems to be a giant waste of income, unless there's a way to repair or use unbreakable items. .

Is the only way to grind through DLC or waiting on random monster events?

The game is surprisingly vague about a lot of things.

1) Its not mandatory but if you keep your units clustered up at the end of turns a lot it can be beneficial. The critical thing is that each pair of units you use as combo units need to be in an S-Rank with each other ASAP so don't stick two non-s-rankable units together in a pair. Yes that means you are playing matchmaker but dammit there is a war to win. Pairing a female player character with Chrom results in a murder duo that can quite literally solo the game.

2) There are missables involving the side missions and bonus rewards. You don't need any of them at all unless you need to have 1 of every item or have to have every character. There is a new-game plus but it is effectively worthless and provides such piddly benefits that unless you love grinding online rep you'll never get anything approaching good from it.

3) No there isn't a way to repair equipment cheaply. It shouldn't matter as two of the best units in the game have a powerful, infinite use sword so buying equipment for the others should never be an issue.

4) Grinding is only achieved that way and I guess if you count side missions.

5) Ditch the knight the game starts you with. He, like every one of his bretheren in Fire Emblem games, is a trap character that will only weigh your team down.

6) Unless you love save and reloading entire fights when random crits, enemy spawns, or whatever bullshit the game tosses at you happens just play on casual. There is no penalty.

7) Holding start not only skips animations it skips the entire enemy turn. Learn to love this fact as later stages have piles of enemies who need to suicide rush your units.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 16, 2013

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Anything for Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Awesome, that pretty much covers everything I've bumped into so far. Thanks a ton for this!

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Anything for Reus? It seems like a chill little god game, but I'm sure I'm probably doing something wrong.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Bedurndurn posted:

Anything for Reus? It seems like a chill little god game, but I'm sure I'm probably doing something wrong.
Seconding this. I am hit with extreme decision paralysis.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.
I've picked up Total War: Shogun 2 on a whim, because I like all the politics stuff, but I'm not very good at strategy games. Anything I should know going in? Especially for a beginner? For both solo and co-op.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ambassador of Funk posted:

I've picked up Total War: Shogun 2 on a whim, because I like all the politics stuff, but I'm not very good at strategy games. Anything I should know going in? Especially for a beginner? For both solo and co-op.

It's a slightly modified rock-paper-scissors system you can figure out from checking unit statistics and seeing what they get bonuses against.

Archers: Great against everything as they slowly approach. The Chosokabe have 'improved' archers who in sufficient numbers and wipe out approaching armies before they get a chance.
Spear guys: Great against horses
Samurai: Great against foot melee troops
Calvary: Great against any light melee and while charging, get killed easily when surrounded

All combat boils down to, especially in Shogun 2 is use the non-samurai to tie up units, and flank them with samurai units to slaughter them. Calvery should charge, retreat, charge and never stay engaged. Archers can also fire into melee if you don't care about your units which the non-samurai are great for.

Other specialty units are fairly specific, but fall into one of the 4 types and should be used accordingly.

Auto-resolve is hit or miss, and usually favors numerical superiority but sucks. Sieges are best auto resolved, but I had battles I played on the map and lost almost no troops while an auto-resolve of the same battle lost 1/3 of the army.

Agents are really, really useful, and when leveling if you focus on specific traits (bonus to attached armies, escaping detection etc.) they're almost unbeatable in that role.

Always be building units. If you start accruing excess gold dump it into buildings that improve revenue but ideally you want 2-3 nearly full armies in the field and a fair amount of units garrisoned in cities near the borders.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Twitch posted:

I just bought the Fallout 3 Ultimate Edition, is there a way to turn off specific DLCs like in Skyrim/New Vegas, and if so, are there any I should skip or leave off until specific parts of the game?

I dont think there is a way to turn them off (On Xbox anyway, I'm assuming there would be mods that do exactly that on the PC version but cant help you there). There used to be an annoying glitch where havig Broken Steel installed would alter the radio DJ to his post-game commets right as soon as it was installed, but I am fairly sure that was patched.

Basically most of the DLC will scale to your level, more or less. Broken Steel triggers automatically when you finish the base game, Point Lookout is intended as post game content (level 20+). You might want to hold off installing them until you are close to the end of the game (or are about to hit the level cap) in case that bug wasnt patched, but when you are asked to follow a robot, install them.

Play the rest whenever you like really. I've put a character through Operation Anchorage at level 5 before (though I wouldnt recommend that tbh, I just really wanted some of the rewards for a gimmick build) so its definately possible. The rewards for that one are pretty nuts depending on your skills. You might want to wait until you have a decent carrying capacity to maximise looting potential. The Pitt is decent, and again scales to your level, Mothership Zeta is a slog with bullet sponge enemies. Frankly I'm tempted to recommend you do that early because I think that it'll be less bullet-spongy, but I dont actually know as its the only one o fte DLC I've only played once. The rewards are mainly useful if you are playing energy weapon heavy, and if you care about achievements you want to look up a guide for the audio diary things because most of the areas where you find them lock after a certain point in the plot and arent ever revisitable.

In summary: No, I dont think you can turn them off, but you can ignore them as they are merely radio signals until you visit their designated mission start points. I'd probably recommend playing them in release order whenever you like. Broken Steel continues the story after the last non DLC mission, and Point lookout should be played around about then too as its high level content. Dont feel obligated to do mothership zeta, its the weakest of them.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just bought the Deus Ex collection on Steam and I am going to play it through in order. I know nothing about the series other than the first two games being highly regarded. Anything I should know? :shobon:

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

The Orange Mage posted:

Just bought the Deus Ex collection on Steam and I am going to play it through in order. I know nothing about the series other than the first two games being highly regarded. Anything I should know? :shobon:
Choose the GEP gun.

The first mission is a bit hairy, with a big open area and you having bad skills, but the game picks up from there. As usual for the game there are multiple solutions to problems, i.e. you can gun your way through, use stealth, hack a robot, etc.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Orange Mage posted:

Deus Ex:

Do the tutorial.

Look at the New York skyline, and remember that this came out before 9/11.

At Liberty Island, if you charge in with guns blazing, you will die. Go slowly, stick to the shadows, and consider your options. Later on, when you get augs, skill, and better weapons, you can choose between being a hailstorm of death, a stealthy assassin, or an invisible ghost.

Explore like crazy. Talk to people, then talk to them again. Read everything.

Upgrade computers one level ASAP. This allows you to hack, which is invaluable. Swimming is a waste of points, and Environmental isn't great.

Learn well how to disarm grenades (the tutorial teaches you). A level of Demolitions gives you more margin for error.

The crossbow with tranq darts will drop a basic grunt in one hit, it just takes time. Resist the urge to shoot him again. Basic crossbow bolts do as much damage as a wet toothpick, don't bother. Flare bolts can distract patrollers but are also worthless as weapons.

The tutorial will tell you that enemies can see your flashlight. This is not true.

When you are done, play it again a few times trying a different approach. Then, try it with Biomod, then try The Nameless Mod.

Multiplayer is kind of blah; it was tacked on, and it shows. Still, it had a small but diehard following. I'm curious as to whether anyone still does it today...

Invisible War

Yes, it really is that bad.

Human Revolution

Explore, talk to everyone.

You can sneak past foes, sneak up to them and kill them, or shoot them from behind cover. If you charge in, you will die.

When you return to Sarif Industries at the start of the game (your vision is messed up) you need to move quickly. After that, there's no need to rush for he rest of the game.

When you come back to Sarif after that mission, get Capture level 2 and hack everything in sight. Also, try to get Capture level 5 at your final visit to Sarif. It unlocks a nice ammo cache by the helipad, and it also lets you hack Pritchard's computer to read some funny email.

You will visit Detroit and Hengsha twice each. Optional missions expire when you leave; however, nothing else is changed. If you passed up a goodie cache the first time, it will be there the next.

If you pick up a gun you already have, you get the ammo but the gun vanishes. You can make lots of $$$ by making repeated trips to the merchant to sell your guns, but there's no real need for cash.

Don't grind XP. The only purpose of XP is to give you Praxis, and you'll get all the Praxis you need eventually.

Yes, the ending is kind of lazy.

At the end, let the credits roll to the end for an Easter egg.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Orange Mage posted:

The first two games aren't highly regarded, the first and third game are. The second one is garbage in comparison.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kanfy posted:

The first two games aren't highly regarded, the first and third game are. The second one is garbage in comparison.
Yeah. It's generally agreed that while Deus Ex 2 isn't really terrible, it's not great, and definitely not great for a Deus Ex game.

pigdog posted:

I think you mean Invisible War.
Yes, yes I did. :doh:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 16, 2013

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Colon V posted:

Yeah. It's generally agreed that while Deus Ex isn't really terrible, it's not great, and definitely not great for a Deus Ex game.

I think you mean Invisible War.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Twitch posted:

I just bought the Fallout 3 Ultimate Edition, is there a way to turn off specific DLCs like in Skyrim/New Vegas, and if so, are there any I should skip or leave off until specific parts of the game?

Running the game will first take you to the launcher. There you can select Data Files to enable and disable DLC/mods. Note that if you have the Steam version you'll have to tick them first, the DLC won't be enabled automatically.

Once the DLC is enabled it will add a quest to your log which will show you on the map where the DLC starts (except Broken Steel, because the quest parts take place after the ending of the game).
Point Lookout's starting point is so obvious that it's easy to avoid and you can travel back at any time.
You can stumble into the start of Operation Anchorage, but you can back away before the point of no return.
Ditto for The Pitt. The quest giver will also blatantly tell you that you won't be coming back for a bit.
Mothership Zeta might be hard to avoid without the following piece of information: don't get to close to the crashed UFO.

Like mentioned before, the enemies will scale with your level so you can just play them in any order and whenever you like. I just put 100 hours into the game and I just did the DLC whenever I felt like it. I recommend doing them before you hit the level cap though, the DLC feels a lot more rewarding if you also earn XP (this does not apply to Broken Steel naturally, since the quests part of the DLC is post-game).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 16, 2013

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Barudak posted:

1) Its not mandatory but if you keep your units clustered up at the end of turns a lot it can be beneficial. The critical thing is that each pair of units you use as combo units need to be in an S-Rank with each other ASAP so don't stick two non-s-rankable units together in a pair. Yes that means you are playing matchmaker but dammit there is a war to win. Pairing a female player character with Chrom results in a murder duo that can quite literally solo the game.

2) There are missables involving the side missions and bonus rewards. You don't need any of them at all unless you need to have 1 of every item or have to have every character. There is a new-game plus but it is effectively worthless and provides such piddly benefits that unless you love grinding online rep you'll never get anything approaching good from it.

3) No there isn't a way to repair equipment cheaply. It shouldn't matter as two of the best units in the game have a powerful, infinite use sword so buying equipment for the others should never be an issue.

4) Grinding is only achieved that way and I guess if you count side missions.

5) Ditch the knight the game starts you with. He, like every one of his bretheren in Fire Emblem games, is a trap character that will only weigh your team down.

6) Unless you love save and reloading entire fights when random crits, enemy spawns, or whatever bullshit the game tosses at you happens just play on casual. There is no penalty.

7) Holding start not only skips animations it skips the entire enemy turn. Learn to love this fact as later stages have piles of enemies who need to suicide rush your units.
1) S-rank supports are marriages. Supports are helpful but not mandatory at all, even with paired up units; it increases the effect of pairing up as well as hit/evade/crit/dodge, but it's nowhere near mandatory.

2) Nothing is permanently missable. The S-rank sidequests can all be unlocked in a single playthrough, unless you let one of the first-gen women die on Classic. There is no conventional NG+; the only thing that transfers over between files is your Renown, which can let you start with some extra goodies but is not at all the same thing.

3) The only way to repair equipment is the Hammerene staff, a rare 1-use staff that fully repairs one item. That said, you can use the Restock function to take uses from items in your supply to refill ones people are using, and this will work if you make another forged item which is exactly the same as the first one. Also, forging is largely unnecessary most of the time, the game gives you plenty of decent weapons - the best use for it is either to forge a max might Bronze weapon for when people class change and only have an E rank so they can still do some damage, or to forge a strong weapon for people with the Armsthrift skill, which has a twice your luck % chance of not using up weapon uses when attacking, making their weapons last a lot longer.

4) Wrong. Reeking Boxes can be purchased from the Chapter 3 shop and when used summon a Risen encounter to the map. They always include a couple small bullions as well so on Normal you'll make more money than you spend, though on Hard they cost 4800 to discourage this. The Risen range in strength depending on where you summon them - using it on the Prologue will drop a bunch of level 1 guys while later on will have much more powerful enemies.

5) Frederick is a Jeigan archetype - he starts way more powerful than your other people but falls behind. He's useful early on and remains so for a while even just for his pair-up bonuses, but the reason he gets so little experience is that he's counted as a level 21 unit, since he's in a promoted class. He actually has pretty great growth rates though, and if you reclass him down to Wyvern Rider or the like and start leveling him back up from there he can actually do reasonably well.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
How about GalCiv2? Any must-have mods? General pointers?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

spider wisdom posted:

There are a few tips on the wiki. It says basically everything you need to know.

One other tip, though.

-Five small, cheap ships is loads better than one big, expensive ship, unless you're rush-buying.
-Seriously, by the time you get anything bigger than a Small or Medium ship built, it will be two tech levels out of date.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 16, 2013

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

spider wisdom posted:

Understand how budgeting in this game works or you will get eaten by a Korath

First thing in the game go to the tab where you manage economics and set the spending rate to 100 percent. Buildings can give build production and research points. The amount they give is the amount shown on the building info modified by the appropiate slider (military, manufacturing, researcH) in the economy window. If you have an "Example Factory" that produces 100 manufacturing and your sliders are (military: 30; social project: 40; research 30) the factory will contribute 30 production to what your spaceport is building and 40 to what social project you are building. You pay 1 BC (the game currency) for each production it contributes, so in our example 70 BC per turn. If your spaceport is not building anything, you will not have to pay for the 30 production your military slider gives you. If your social project queue is empty but your starport builds something, the production supposed to go to Social will go to Military costing you the money. If something gives "+20 percent" bonuses to something, you pay BC for half of the bonus you get. Research works similiary by producing (and requiring BC) for the amount of your Lab times the slider value. Finally, the spending slider I told you to set to 100 is a multiplier to the other sliders. If you lower it below 100, the sliders are treated as if they were lower. (Spending slider at 50 percent and in the above example, "Example Factory" would only output 15 to military and 20 to social.)

Keep your approval at above 75 for a very important population boost in the early game. Approval at 100 means a greater increase but is usually not worth it.

Miniturization does not make components smaller but somewhat counter-intuitively increases the capacity of hulls.

Being able to make a constructor ship on a small or tiny hull will safe you money.

Tech-Brokering with a good diplomacy race breaks the game's spine multiple times over before it shoots the bone fragments in the sun.

Using influence points to buy tech diplomatically skips the spine beating and goes straight for the shoot game into the sun part.

Inappropiate defenses, e.g. shields against rockets and bullets instead of lasers, count for the square root of their actual value. So if you want to fill spare rooms on battleships with other defenses make it add up to a amount with a clean square root.

Twilight of the Arnor introduced unique tech trees which broke some of the AI personalities making them worse at playing the game. There is a mod which fixes this to some extend and some other issues related to the tech trees. I think in its current state there are no or no noticeable changes to how the original Twilight of the Arnor played. It also allows for the option of having minor civilizations be less like Civilization V city states and actually settle the galaxy.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
^ Awesome, thanks guys. Randler, I think I understand what's going on re: budgeting, but I imagine it'll make more sense once I'm in-game. Everything else seems self-explanatory.

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 16, 2013

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Kruller posted:

Anything for Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion?

I second this request. Looks neat.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Anyone got any hot hot tips for UnEpic?

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
So many questions from the Steam sale!

And I am not alone... I just got Democracy 2 and I really really enjoy it, but I can not get reelected in any scenario to save my soul and I have been playing for two hours!

Does anyone have any advice on this one, I've searched the internet, and the Wiki, and I am at a loss.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Don't save your points, especially on higher difficulties. Constitution is the best stat for max health, then choose a weapon you want to specialize in. All the weapons are very well varied so it's not like one is better than the other but I particularly like spears for their range.

Bouncing off that, don't save your potions or scrolls either. They're super helpful and can trivialize really difficult encounters.

The game takes a long time to tell you this but the F# keys organize things by category. F1 is a customizable shortcut but F2 gives you all weapons and so on.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

al-azad posted:

don't save your potions or scrolls

Literally nobody in this thread is going to heed this advice.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Haha, I know it literally just came out, but anything for Shin Megami Tensei 4?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Haha, I know it literally just came out, but anything for Shin Megami Tensei 4?
I haven't played it yet, so take this with a grain of salt since this is all hear-say from the Japanese version.

Dex is important for physical skills AND gun skills, don't neglect it in a physical build.

Magic tends to be weaker than physical, especially endgame, but it makes up for it with status effects and being able to hit weaknesses. Hitting weaknesses is god in the press-turn system. Always hit weaknesses forever.

Luck isn't a worthless stat in SMT4, it's actually good to have no matter what your build is, as status effects are terrifying in SMT and instant death is common. It's even more important to a magic build, since it affects how often your status effect spells stick.

Buffs and debuffs are incredible.

Demons don't drop cash. Your ways of getting money are dumpster diving, shaking down demons for money, and the money they give you when they join you. Negotiate (shaking demons down) is kind of inefficient.

Hit weaknesses and get crits to get more turns. Hit immunities/reflects/absorbs and get critted and the enemy gets more turns. Is it clear how important elemental weaknesses are yet?

You will not have enough points to get every app you want, so prioritize.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Try to get the drop on enemies when possible, and don't take on multiple at once. You can stunlock most enemies but if you're attacking an enemy and another runs through him, they won't be harmed and will just stunlock you back.

Don't play above Normal difficulty or you'll get your rear end kicked.

You'll get a free, unlimited warp-to-save item early on. Don't be afraid to use it constantly, the central save point is your only free healing.

Even if you don't put multiple points into it, keep a bow in your inventory as arrows are really easy to find and it's a good source of chip damage, especially for stationary enemies like snakes.

Have some sort of poison counter-measure on you at all times, as poison is brutal and multiple instances will stack (same goes for other ailments like Burning)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sarkozymandias posted:

Literally nobody in this thread is going to heed this advice.

It's funny, people complain about the difficulty in WRPGs when the designers give you a poo poo ton of items that no one uses because they're one-use. You could write a thesis on how D&D players never use their potions even though they're intentionally making the game harder.

But UnEpic's potions are super useful, particularly rejuvination which is practically required for one quest involving a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

al-azad posted:

It's funny, people complain about the difficulty in WRPGs when the designers give you a poo poo ton of items that no one uses because they're one-use. You could write a thesis on how D&D players never use their potions even though they're intentionally making the game harder.

http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=072709