Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Eigo posted:

I'd be happy enough if just the item details and objectives were in English in the JP version, but that's probably asking a bit much for the few that would. Wasn't Demon Souls in full English for some of the eastern releases? I don't remember if the JP version had full English, or if it was another region there.

Yes, the non-Japanese Asian release of Demon's Souls was fully English, right down to voice acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

edit: misread

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Schubalts posted:

Yes, the non-Japanese Asian release of Demon's Souls was fully English, right down to voice acting.
The voice acting Dark and Demon's Souls is English for all regions I believe.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007
I'm having a hard time finding the relevant information I want, was hoping you guys could help.

I haven't played Dynasty Warriors in... a long time. Like, PS2 early. I saw DW8 was coming out Tuesday and was wondering if it's being well-received or not.

The last one I played was when they put in a bit of territory stuff to the missions... and the pop-in was TERRIBLE. Practically unplayable.

Am I gonna get a similar experience in 8 or is this actually "A Good Game"? I should note I'm also getting it to play online with a friend so is there any online thing I should be worried about?

edit: v

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's my favorite DW game yet, by a pretty good margin. It still has has many of the usual DW problems (I didn't notice if the pop-in was worse or better than usual, but I do know you can see enemy generals from like halfway across the map if they are in line of sight), but its extremely varied in weapon sets, has a lot of really good stages, and is just overall about as good as DW can get.

gently caress yeah, that's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.

Blarfo fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 14, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Blarfo posted:

I'm having a hard time finding the relevant information I want, was hoping you guys could help.

I haven't played Dynasty Warriors in... a long time. Like, PS2 early. I saw DW8 was coming out Tuesday and was wondering if it's being well-received or not.

The last one I played was when they put in a bit of territory stuff to the missions... and the pop-in was TERRIBLE. Practically unplayable.

Am I gonna get a similar experience in 8 or is this actually "A Good Game"? I should note I'm also getting it to play online with a friend so is there any online thing I should be worried about?
It's my favorite DW game yet, by a pretty good margin. It still has has many of the usual DW problems (I didn't notice if the pop-in was worse or better than usual, but I do know you can see enemy generals from like halfway across the map if they are in line of sight), but its extremely varied in weapon sets, has a lot of really good stages, and is just overall about as good as DW can get.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I'll second Samurai Sanders' take, although Dynasty Warriors 7 already introduced a bunch of the bigger changes, namely weapon switching (every character can equip/switch between two different weapons so their movesets except for Musou attacks will change, while they'll get a character-specific action for using their "default" weapon), a single overall story and the introduction of the Jin "kingdom"* whose story is a continuation/conclusion to said overall story. DW8 takes off from there, although unlike DW7 there's no more in-mission switching between weapons (the two weapons are selected in the pre-battle menus) but they decloned the movesets so that unlike prior games every character has a unique moveset again.

And if you don't like the new plot, you could always just read Ravages of Time:

(For a sample chapter, this is Ravages' version of Changban but thanks to the mostly-lack of names the lack of content should make it not-really-spoilers. :D)

* They're really more Wei as run by the Sima clan, Jin itself isn't formally founded until after their own story mode.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Chortles posted:

they decloned the movesets so that unlike prior games every character has a unique moveset again.

As far as I'm concerned this change justifies the entire drat game. I hated having everyone just be a carbon copy of each other in 7 and it's really the only thing that marred it for me.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
Is 8 disc only? I can't find any confirmation one way or another and someone mentioned it may be awhile back. Did anyone definitely confirm one way or the other? I much prefer getting it on PSN.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Onion Rings posted:

Is 8 disc only? I can't find any confirmation one way or another and someone mentioned it may be awhile back. Did anyone definitely confirm one way or the other? I much prefer getting it on PSN.

Yechezkel's weekly PSN post listed it so I guess it does have a digital version? There's no for sure though until the Playstation blog puts up a Drop post, but he's rarely wrong.

e: The hell, did they JUST post that when I did this post?

Dj Meow Mix fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 15, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The Drop does confirm a PSN release.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Chortles posted:

And if you don't like the new plot, you could always just read Ravages of Time...

I got over Bao Sanniang; I feel as though little they do now will surprise or bother me that much.

Xeroma
Nov 16, 2007
Robot Fan
:siren:DO NOT BUY THE 360 VERSION OF DYNASTY WARRIORS 8 :siren:

I don't know what the hell happened, but apparently the folks TK outsourced the 360 port of DW8 to 360 forgot to actually make the drat thing playable. I don't think I've ever seen this much slowdown in any game in the series. Ridiculous.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

So glad they are offering this. If they keep the 2 person share for the PS4 I will get every single game I buy on PSN, no hesitation.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Xeroma posted:

I don't know what the hell happened, but apparently the folks TK outsourced the 360 port of DW8 to 360 forgot to actually make the drat thing playable. I don't think I've ever seen this much slowdown in any game in the series. Ridiculous.

Hahaha oh my god what happened here

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Xeroma posted:

That's awesome. Especially considering that since the XBone reveal in May I have been so disgusted I haven't even turned on my 360... and subsequently changed my preorder from 360 to PS3 anyway.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
It's a little known fact, but ancient China was in fact the Matrix.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

And yet, as I watched that I was still going 'oh man those combos rule, I totally want this now'. It definitely looks like they've hosed with the pop-in to try to get more guys on screen at once, so hopefully the PS3 version actually runs worth a drat.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

That looks worse than the PS3 version ran but it certainly does slow down in similar fashion when there are loads of dudes on screen. Rather than dropping frames like DW7 it slows down the gameplay like a SNES game or something.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Xeroma posted:

Well, gently caress.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

tooooooo bad posted:

That looks worse than the PS3 version ran but it certainly does slow down in similar fashion when there are loads of dudes on screen. Rather than dropping frames like DW7 it slows down the gameplay like a SNES game or something.

I love that slow down. I always thought that meant I was doing awesome if my game slowed down on the SNES. Now I can feel it again with DW!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
They are returning to fourth weapons for this game right?

Should I buy it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

The only time I see it slow down is when there's fire, really.

elmer fud posted:

They are returning to fourth weapons for this game right?

Should I buy it?
"Fourth weapons"? I don't get it.

Anyway yes you should buy it, but apparently not on the 360.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Xeroma posted:

Welp. I've been playing a bunch of DW4 Empires recently (because I don't feel like going to the other room and turning my 360 on late at night) and was planning on getting DW8. So much for that.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Cool, glad that as someone with a 360 I'm hosed over even worse than with DW7 since at least I'm actually able to play that game.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
What is the Musou mode like in 8? Is it like 7 where there was a contiguous story for each of the 3 kingdoms + Jin? I played part way into the Wei story in 7, then made the mistake of playing Warriors Orochi 3 and getting caught up in that.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 16, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Unlucky7 posted:

What is the Musou mode like in 8? Is it like 7 where there was a contiguous story for each of the 3 kingdoms + Jin? I played part way into the Wei story in 7, then made the mistake of playing Warriors Orochi 3 and getting caught up in that.
Yeah, one for each kingdom (where you have a choice between 2-4 characters to use in each stage), but they have extra stages unlocked by special conditions, and halfway through they all split into a historical one and a ridiculous teenage fan fiction one.

edit: in free mode there are alternate versions of every stage, usually where you play as the enemy force.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

"Fourth weapons"? I don't get it.

The unique/special weapons from like 3-5 where you had to play the game on Chaos and/or do something specific with a character in a certain stage to get an extremely powerful weapon for them. Generally, you had three normal weapons that were just variously stronger versions of each other, and then the fourth/last weapon was super strong and had an element and/or special properties.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kurui Reiten posted:

The unique/special weapons from like 3-5 where you had to play the game on Chaos and/or do something specific with a character in a certain stage to get an extremely powerful weapon for them. Generally, you had three normal weapons that were just variously stronger versions of each other, and then the fourth/last weapon was super strong and had an element and/or special properties.
Yeah, the most powerful weapon is gained by doing specific tricky things on certain stages with certain characters, at hard difficulty or above. I only have a few of them. They're not unique though functionally, they just have the highest attack power and a bunch of level 10 properties on them.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

5er posted:

I got over Bao Sanniang; I feel as though little they do now will surprise or bother me that much.
Well, considering that both she and Guan Suo come from something that's borderline "horrible OC AU fanfiction" which opens with Guan Yu and Zhang Fei deciding to ensure their loyalty to Liu Bei after the Peach Garden Oath... by killing off their biological families :stonk:... yeah, Koei can't be too bad (other than BENEVOLENCE)... I admittedly just find the Ravages version so much more understated-yet-well-done though, certainly a way more compelling Liu Bei than the loser from DW7.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
Has the psn price been announced or do we just wait till the store update?

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Well poo poo glad I held off buying DW8 until later in the month. My Playstation broke so I was gonna get it for 360 but not now.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
DW8 is up in the PSN store... only 18.2 GB :shepface:

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

abagofcheetos posted:

DW8 is up in the PSN store... only 18.2 GB :shepface:

Is it so big because of an additional download, like Japanese voices? How in the hell is it so huge? :confused:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Is it so big because of an additional download, like Japanese voices? How in the hell is it so huge? :confused:

Well, there are a lot of characters who all need their own voice clips. Each character has several weapons. All these things need models and textures and audio. Also video, maps, etc. It adds up. And since it's the PS3 version it's probably not compressed a bunch since it goes on a Bluray instead of DVD.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

15 gigs are improved game play. It's just that simple.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm willing to bet that pre-rendered HD videos is like a third of that size.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Video reminds me of the EDF games. The slow down adds to the awesomeness!

5er posted:

That's awesome. Especially considering that since the XBone reveal in May I have been so disgusted I haven't even turned on my 360...

Hahahaha i've done the same thing.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Xeroma posted:

Huh. At the exact same time as I was picking up my PS3 copy, a guy at the other register was getting the 360 version. I need to go back in time and warn him.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
So pumped for that 18.2 GB download.

Also it looked like SSX's musou had a vacuum effect on it in the slowdown video? Is that a weapon element or something new or has it always done that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The most difficult thing I can do to the second half of my shift at my job is to go pick up a game during lunch hour, and then have it sitting in my backpack while I get the rest of my shift finished.