Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Morbid Florist posted:

One killing (of an rear end in a top hat) makes him a scum maniac?

...yes?

Most people deal with assholes on a daily basis. Most people kill exactly none of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

WatermelonGun posted:

...yes?

Most people deal with assholes on a daily basis. Most people kill exactly none of them.

Regardless of that there's not much proof he was planning 'a mass act of terrorism'. As far as we can tell the guns were bought legally. Now there may be more too this but it just sounds like overzealous policing of a high-profile person.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Is it really that hard for some of you to understand that Varg can be a contemptible piece of poo poo AND make good music?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

nerve posted:

Is it really that hard for some of you to understand that Varg can be a contemptible piece of poo poo AND make good music?

That's a lot of people's problem - my own included - with NS leaning bands. It's often hard to separate the art from the artist, especially in such a "passionate" genre as metal; and even if the music is the greatest thing to ever grace my earholes there's just this undercurrent that makes me feel really filthy for listening to it.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Regardless of that there's not much proof he was planning 'a mass act of terrorism'. As far as we can tell the guns were bought legally. Now there may be more too this but it just sounds like overzealous policing of a high-profile person.

Oh, totally. He's just a super sketchy, terrible human, and France wants his rear end out. And France is already a big fan of over-policing everyone who isn't French, so Varg's gonna have to move somewhere more tolerant of his poo poo. Greece? Idaho?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Radio Paranoia posted:

That's a lot of people's problem - my own included - with NS leaning bands. It's often hard to separate the art from the artist, especially in such a "passionate" genre as metal; and even if the music is the greatest thing to ever grace my earholes there's just this undercurrent that makes me feel really filthy for listening to it.

I also understand why someone wouldn't want to give these people money.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I'm so misunderstood :(

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
I think Aske is the best BM album of all time. Ea lord of the depths, Black spell of destruction, Stemmen fra tårnet... it's music from a strange, unkind world. It's the soundtrack of my puberty.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I didn't know Varg made an album about awkwardly hitting on punk girls and getting caught underaged drinking at house parties.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

nerve posted:

I dunno. I think he's an idiot who makes lovely music. Do I get a medal or something?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

nerve posted:

Did I say he wasn't a contemptible piece of poo poo? No, he is, but that doesn't mean he should be bullied by an entire government for legal activities :psyduck:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

comes along bort posted:

I dunno. I think he's an idiot who makes lovely music. Do I get a medal or something?

Well it isn't very good, but yeah.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Not a big deal, he makes better albums in prison anyway.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
It's a developing story. We don't know all the details yet and neither does the media. They don't just come out with everything right away. Look at how the Aaron Hernandez story developed recently.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I don't give a poo poo about ideology at all as long as I like the music. The dude could be Hitler himself and as long as the riffs are good I'd send him $50 every time he did a "pay what you want" deal on bandcamp.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's probably worth stating the arrest is on terrorism charges, although it's because he just got a bunch of guns and not some conclusive evidence of a plot.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, but he has EVIL OPINIONS!

Well the opinions the guy not only has, but has chosen to make public at some rather tedious length, certainly suffice to mark him as a guy who it might be worth the security police's time to keep tabs on, just in case he turns out to be one of those guys who aren't all talk (especially since he's got that little bit of prior history of not being all talk). Unlike his choice of fonts they're probably not arrest-worthy by themselves, though.

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008

FedoraDefender420 posted:

It's probably worth stating the arrest is on terrorism charges, although it's because he just got a bunch of guns and not some conclusive evidence of a plot.

Oh my god, the loving FRENCH are going to out-P.A.T.R.I.O.T. ACT the U.S. Don't tell me they have their own version of Guantanamo Bay, too?

No, but seriously, that's hosed up if Varg did nothing illegal and his rights are being circumscribed by force for it. Even racist over-combers have rights.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
They say that his wife bought them with her shooters permit, but they also don't mention the kind of rifles they were. If they were simple bolt-action rifles then this is honestly just the government picking on him because he's insane. Nobody is going to do a Breivik-esque massacre with bolt action rifles. However, I'm done with this discussion because it doesn't involve youtube videos of rare 90's death metal.

Speaking of, some dude has been uploading a ton of that, including this rare gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSctWU0jl38

:allears: Gutted

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Just remembered that Disillusion exist after far too long, but they haven't made an album in years and their website shows their last live gig as having been in 2011 :(

Just in case anyone hasn't been exposed to these guys, check out some of my faves that show their diversity:

Alone I Stand In Fires: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEoKSNCHPSY

Don't Go Any Further (preceeded by unnecessary monologue): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdYaPlJKavo

The Black Sea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hTdH9sTaOQ

loving GLORIOUS :black101:

Mackers fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 17, 2013

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Are kvelertak as awesome live as they would seem? Kinda pissed I missed the last go round the US with torche, seems like it would've been a great show.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Anthrovore posted:

Are kvelertak as awesome live as they would seem? Kinda pissed I missed the last go round the US with torche, seems like it would've been a great show.

I saw a local band, Black Tusk, Cancer Bats, and Kvelertak a few months back for $12. It was a really great show.

There were only about 20 people there and Kvelertak's singer insisted on crowd surfing about 10 times even after being dropped twice. The stage was only about 6" off the ground so there was a lot of crowd interaction. The singer would also pull people closer to the stage and a little pit even got going.

Since the stage was so low they finished the show by playing the last song in the audience. Their guitar and bass players were putting their instruments on people and trying to move the fans' fingers in place to play along. After they song they shook everyone's hands and thanked us.

Between the 4 bands I have never seen anyone work so hard for a $12 show. It was really really fun.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mackers posted:

Just remembered that Disillusion exist after far too long, but they haven't made an album in years and their website shows their last live gig as having been in 2011 :(

After their last album, who really cares?

Also GBS found out about Varg, the thread is about as bad as you think it is.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

moctopus posted:

I saw a local band, Black Tusk, Cancer Bats, and Kvelertak a few months back for $12. It was a really great show.

There were only about 20 people there and Kvelertak's singer insisted on crowd surfing about 10 times even after being dropped twice. The stage was only about 6" off the ground so there was a lot of crowd interaction. The singer would also pull people closer to the stage and a little pit even got going.

Since the stage was so low they finished the show by playing the last song in the audience. Their guitar and bass players were putting their instruments on people and trying to move the fans' fingers in place to play along. After they song they shook everyone's hands and thanked us.

Between the 4 bands I have never seen anyone work so hard for a $12 show. It was really really fun.

gently caress this sounds great. Really hope I get the chance to see them eventually.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

Monkeytime posted:

The cops also don't seem like they've got anything on him and just want to get him and his terrible opinions out of France.

In other, more left-leaning news, has anyone heard the new split that Panopticon did with Vestiges? I think it's better than the stuff that was on Kentucky, and I'm really excited to hear what's coming next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iax_VhmKqcU

The drumming on this is fantastic.

Hmm, clicked out of curiosity. Thoughts were, "hey, so far, so good. Oh poo poo they're from KY! I hope the vocals aren't annoying 'cause that's why I'm more into death metal than black metal. Black metal vox are annoying. Oh...no vocals so far, k the music is good. Oh poo poo there are vocals. Why are they so muted?!"
I'll check em out regardless.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

moctopus posted:

They played at a local club in Brooklyn with Skeletonwitch and I don't think I'll ever forgive myself for missing it.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

IRQ posted:

Also GBS found out about Varg, the thread is about as bad as you think it is.

If I'm ever tempted to go out and interact with new people, I'm going to remember that thread and spare what mental health I have left and stay the gently caress home.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

IRQ posted:

After their last album, who really cares?

gb2nmp3s. I care. In fact, I think Gloria is a more interesting album - dare I say, even better than - Back To Times Of Splendor. It doesn't quite hit the same high points of Splendor (specifically the two 13+ minute tracks), yet I found more replay value in it. To each their own of course.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

nihil morari posted:

gb2nmp3s. I care. In fact, I think Gloria is a more interesting album - dare I say, even better than - Back To Times Of Splendor. It doesn't quite hit the same high points of Splendor (specifically the two 13+ minute tracks), yet I found more replay value in it. To each their own of course.

I'll go more extreme and say that Gloria kicks the poo poo out of Back to Times of Splendor, and is one of my favorite albums ever. There's glimmers of activity from the Disillusion camp every year or so, I'm still hopeful that there might be a new album some day.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

All this talk about Varg is very confusing to me. I didn't know I was planning a Brevik style massacre!

Anybody heard anything about a new Necrophagist album? I've been listening to them lately and I realized it's been nearly ten years since Epitaph was released.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
All I'd ever heard was a rumor that the record was finished long ago but Mr Suicmez was sitting on it for some reason, possibly some contract dispute. No idea if any of it is true.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Vargatron posted:

All this talk about Varg is very confusing to me. I didn't know I was planning a Brevik style massacre!

Anybody heard anything about a new Necrophagist album? I've been listening to them lately and I realized it's been nearly ten years since Epitaph was released.

Isn't he like an engineer or something professionally? I imagine he makes A LOT more money being an engineer, and engineers are known for having literally zero free time, ever. I doubt a 3rd record exists or will ever happen.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Anthrovore posted:

Yeah, Kvelertak are amazing live. Really, really good fun. I wasn't there, but at Download this year, the singer came out with an owl on his head. I reckon a Kvelertak live show is guaranteed to be beer fuelled, sweaty mayhem.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Kvelertak were supposed to play around here at a big, free festival but they cancelled and got replaced by Amenra at the last minute. Not that I was too bothered by the switch (I really enjoy Amenra) but it was slightly disappointing not being able to see Kvelertak again.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

nomapple posted:

Yeah, Kvelertak are amazing live. Really, really good fun. I wasn't there, but at Download this year, the singer came out with an owl on his head. I reckon a Kvelertak live show is guaranteed to be beer fuelled, sweaty mayhem.

Kvelertak are one of the best bands I've ever seen live. Saw them once in my hometown on what was basically a mini-festival as two tours collided on the same day. They were on 2nd and blew basically every other band apart from maybe Nails, who I went for in the first place. Saw them again at the Camden Underworld when I was smashed and punched a bunch of 15 year olds in the face. Good gig.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Varg's out, turns out he wasn't planning a terrorist strike after all. I'm sure you're all surprised.

But hey, we should get some comedy from his blog out of this.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Besides this thread, where do you guys go for reviews? Feels like I'm always a little bit behind on new stuff

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

BjornOfBorg posted:

Kvelertak were supposed to play around here at a big, free festival but they cancelled and got replaced by Amenra at the last minute. Not that I was too bothered by the switch (I really enjoy Amenra) but it was slightly disappointing not being able to see Kvelertak again.

Amenra are also brilliant live, but a very different experience to Kvelertak. I've seen Amenra a couple of times, and they're incredibly intense. So much better live than on record imo, and I like the records a fair bit.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

nuncle jimbo posted:

Besides this thread, where do you guys go for reviews? Feels like I'm always a little bit behind on new stuff

MetalSucks is useful in my opinion despite a community that's not always great. Anthony Fantano of theneedledrop does a good few metal reviews and is pretty open-minded about various genres, but he generally only covers really popular releases. Honestly I sometimes hang around metal threads on the 4chan music board, people regularly will share recent releases with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I generally see more than enough boring reviews of prominent new albums, so the few zines/blogs that I read tend to be more unusual stuff rather than nailing the obvious albums for review. A few that I generally check out:

A Dead Spot of Light zine - one-man zine that covers a strange variety of black metal, funeral doom, ambient, a bit of industrial, and some other stuff. Sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes it's too extensive to keep my attention.
http://archive.org/details/ADeadSpotOfLight...Number22http://archive.org/details/ADeadSpotOfLight...Number22

Psychic Shorts - Concise and to-the-point without nonsense.
http://psychicshorts.blogspot.com/

Panzerfaust zine - I'm not quite sure why I like this one, the English is brutally terrible but the reviews are easy to read quickly and he has somewhat similar taste as well as covering a fair range of stuff that isn't simply pimped by labels.
http://panzerfaust666zine.blogspot.com/