Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

Internet Wizard posted:

I'm always seeing horror stories from Air Force people about life at DLI, but I was wondering, how does that compare to what it's like for a Marine going through there?

You need a liberty buddy with you when you leave post I'm pretty sure, so I hope you like threesomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Fat kid PT, can i get a hua? :toot: Who else got caught on a late bus?

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 17, 2013

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

TheUnhorse posted:

Sir Lucius, I do believe 35Qs go to JCAC down south. I've also heard that the course either already has been or will soon be watered down quite a bit since the attrition rate has been insane.

Negative. The contract changed companies and the material was updated to reflect the Agency's needs.

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
BUMP

I could use some advice on how to make it through the MSA course 2,2,1+.

I'm in Unit 5 now and I seem to be regressing. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
What seems to be the biggest problem for you? I made it through with a 2+/2+ and I struggled a lot up till unit 6. Shoot me a PM and I will see what I can do.

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
My main issue is I'm terrible at listening. I usually get anywhere from a C to B, but a lot of it is guessing, not ability. I'm worse than my grades indicate I'm pretty sure.

What would be a practical way to improve my listening?

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

I came from Farsi, but GLOSS has activities for all languages. Euronews.com is also good in my experience, because their audio/video articles have transcripts as well, so you can easily double-check what you think you heard. At least they did for Farsi. But I imagine they would for Arabic as well, which is a language option.

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
My classmates aren't bad people but goddamn can I not focus in class. There's just so much noise and disruption. Non-stop retarded questions and banter going on. Holy gently caress. Seriously thinking about asking to change sections. At least then I can have some peace and quiet before I rock out.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

popejackson posted:

My classmates aren't bad people but goddamn can I not focus in class. There's just so much noise and disruption. Non-stop retarded questions and banter going on. Holy gently caress. Seriously thinking about asking to change sections. At least then I can have some peace and quiet before I rock out.

If you feel like something is seriously holding you back bring it up immediately because this is not the kind of place where you ignore it, because you'll fail out and those retards will go on to get 3/3/2s.

Edit: Also, gently caress Farsi and gently caress the Army.

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013

Androies posted:

If you feel like something is seriously holding you back bring it up immediately because this is not the kind of place where you ignore it, because you'll fail out and those retards will go on to get 3/3/2s.

Yeah...I'm also section leader and have been told privately by the teachers to keep my classroom in line on more than one occasion. I try to do it gently but it's not easy.

I wouldn't give a poo poo if it weren't affecting my ability to learn in class but it's become a problem. I hate going to class now. I may just have to start telling these guys to shut the gently caress up.

popejackson fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 22, 2013

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

popejackson posted:

I try to do it gently

Don't.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Seconded. Even if they were normal soldiers (seamen, airmen, marines, etc.) that's not something I would put lightly. You likely need to be even more straightforward at DLI because (if your class is like mine was) it's full of socially awkward spergs.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Androies posted:

This is incredibly true. My class hosed around for 15 minutes every class while I did the lesson, so I didn't get help as I needed it. All those shuts got 2+s and 3s while I failed.

But now I'm a Russian linguist, gently caress Farsi.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Farsi is pretty easy bro.

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
I lost it today and snapped on one of my class mates. He really didn't deserve it, I just have a lot of stress. Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
Forgot to mention one of the Army's finest left DLI the other week after being on casual status for an amazing 8 months after being pulled from class with a LOE for falling asleep constantly. I think it was only week 13 at that point.
He had these little raptor hands he'd just stalk around post with, always in uniform because he'd lost his CAC/Dog Tags/Door Key so many times he was on permanent phase 5 status. He says he left with $10k in his bank account, TS clearance, and an honorable discharge, but I don't know how believable that is.

One of the more notable stories is that he borrowed somebody's computer for a CQ shift, then forgot to clear the history after giving it back. Apparently he had a bit of an animal milk fetish, and there was furry erotica, because, of course.

Shuffleboard Shootout
Dec 26, 2006

Tsoukawhat?
That guy was weird as gently caress. I always wondered what was wrong with his hands.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod

popejackson posted:

My main issue is I'm terrible at listening. I usually get anywhere from a C to B, but a lot of it is guessing, not ability. I'm worse than my grades indicate I'm pretty sure.

What would be a practical way to improve my listening?

Okay sorry it took I while to respond but here are my two cents on the subject of listening and MSA.

First thing you need to do is after every day go to your teaching team leader and demand that he photocopies the scripts from that day's listening exercises and gives them to you. Then you sit down at night listen to every single one you didn't understand while reading the script. Also get the scripts for all the supplemental listening sections. You can find them on the share drive if you search from the top level for teacher. You will pull up a bunch of poo poo including the teacher's copy of the TTT's from first and second semester. Grab those two and listen while reading. This will help you tell what each word actually sounds like on the recordings and not what it sounds like in your head which is probably entirely different. Oh and starting Friday night till noon on Saturday don't touch Arabic. If you can PM me with your e mail I will send you some material for unit six that you need that they won't give you.

If it helps ease your mind any I was in the same boat. I struggled for the first semester, I was borderline up until unit six. What changed was I started doing the things I listed above. One more thing learn to use rapid rote really well. Make your own vocab list and go through them get your teacher to record words that don't have audio. Then test yourself on the list and when you are done make a list of what you got wrong then go through it again and again till you have a whole list completed then start on the next one.

Also and if the little poo poo's in your class can't shut up during class start putting it on paper and taking it to the MLI and your company chain of command. Don't be nice to them if they are loving poo poo up in class, because if they can't shut up and work for fifty minutes then they will just be poo poo soldiers when they leave DLI also.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

Badgers posted:

That guy was weird as gently caress. I always wondered what was wrong with his hands.

He's got a replacement now thankfully, this one guy who does pushups with his elbows bent the opposite way like he's something from a horror movie. And I guess the guy who got pulled out of class with an LOE in week 46 for smelling like poo poo falling asleep in class.

Edit: Also, how's that sweet civ life? Everything I ever hoped for and more?

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013

faddypaddy posted:

Okay sorry it took I while to respond but here are my two cents on the subject of listening and MSA.

First thing you need to do is after every day go to your teaching team leader and demand that he photocopies the scripts from that day's listening exercises and gives them to you. Then you sit down at night listen to every single one you didn't understand while reading the script. Also get the scripts for all the supplemental listening sections. You can find them on the share drive if you search from the top level for teacher. You will pull up a bunch of poo poo including the teacher's copy of the TTT's from first and second semester. Grab those two and listen while reading. This will help you tell what each word actually sounds like on the recordings and not what it sounds like in your head which is probably entirely different. Oh and starting Friday night till noon on Saturday don't touch Arabic. If you can PM me with your e mail I will send you some material for unit six that you need that they won't give you.

If it helps ease your mind any I was in the same boat. I struggled for the first semester, I was borderline up until unit six. What changed was I started doing the things I listed above. One more thing learn to use rapid rote really well. Make your own vocab list and go through them get your teacher to record words that don't have audio. Then test yourself on the list and when you are done make a list of what you got wrong then go through it again and again till you have a whole list completed then start on the next one.

Also and if the little poo poo's in your class can't shut up during class start putting it on paper and taking it to the MLI and your company chain of command. Don't be nice to them if they are loving poo poo up in class, because if they can't shut up and work for fifty minutes then they will just be poo poo soldiers when they leave DLI also.

Hey thanks for the tips. I don't have the PM function on my subscription. Can you send me the study material to [deleted]

popejackson fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 17, 2014

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
:siren: Update straight from DLI :siren:
Army can drink again. Time to see how long we last until it gets taken away again, looking at you, guy who turned to me after the briefing and said "I'm gonna get so loving shitfaced tonight I'm gonna wake up in my vomit."

Edit: gently caress Farsi still

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Androies posted:

gently caress Farsi still

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
I care more about the elimination of the battle buddy rule on post. But yeah, alcohol is a nice bonus.

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
Anyone have tips on how to quickly improve on numbers drills? I have a test in 2 days and I really suck.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

By doing them a lot.

No, there isn't a trick.

Ironman
Jun 19, 2001
If you see this text that means I'm not working.
What the hell is going on over here? Everyone is jacked as hell and every other person is a failed test from being reclassed to 11b or something.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Ironman posted:

What the hell is going on over here? Everyone is jacked as hell and every other person is a failed test from being reclassed to 11b or something.

That's pretty normal. When I asked about the place before hand in the old "ask us about joining the military" thread, what's Monterey like and what all, people just said "Don't bother, you'll fail out before you get to see any of it". Turns out that sure enough that's pretty much the way it works here. I personally am not worried, but tons and tons of people here are either failing or just on the verge of it.

In other news the thing with the entire loving Air Force here having to move was only very mildly chaotic, definitely a lot less of a clusterfuck than I'd expected.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Pretty much every service has just adopted the shotgun approach wrt DLI.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
I like to think of it as the 18x program for people with college degrees. Only, instead of "hey, if you don't make Special Forces you still get to be infantry with airborne training" it's "you can't learn this language so here's cook and you don't get any money and also I hate you."

Edit: Also, you're fat now.

Silvance
Sep 30, 2011
I'm seeing the same thing so far. Only a few weeks into Pashto and nearly a third of the class dropped under the level that would cause them to qualify for mandatory SA (3.0 GPA) were we not already on mandatory SA for being in the first 8 weeks of class. Also, zero hour? What's up with that poo poo.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
That's because they suck. I did Pashto, never studied, got good grades, 3/2+/2+ final DLPT/OPI (back then it was constructive response, too), still sitting on 3/3/2+ two years later. Just don't be a stressed out bitch and you'll be fine.

Ironman
Jun 19, 2001
If you see this text that means I'm not working.

Androies posted:

I like to think of it as the 18x program for people with college degrees. Only, instead of "hey, if you don't make Special Forces you still get to be infantry with airborne training" it's "you can't learn this language so here's cook and you don't get any money and also I hate you."

Edit: Also, you're fat now.

Hey. If you're talking to me, then I'll have you know that I put on weight when I'm stressed and also when I have nothing to eat but heaping spoonfuls of cottage cheese and MRE's. Seriously though no one told me that most people don't actually get in better shape in basic training, they either level off or get weaker. I guess that dingy rear end basement squat rack and 80's selectorized machines will have to do for the next hundred thousand weeks of my life

TAC
Jun 24, 2010
Howdy folks,

I've been offered the chance to attend a language course here if I reenlist and I have some questions. Sorry if these have already been answered.

How are living accommodations for a single E-5/6 in the Air Force? More specifically, I'm looking to bring my brother with me to get him out of a bad situation. Will the place I get be big enough to fit us both, or will it be more like a dorm room? Also, are there good places he could work/attend school in the area?

Will I be relatively free from gently caress-gently caress games? I don't care for parties and drinking, but I'd like to see the area and don't want to be stuck doing stupid poo poo with the new folks.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

TAC posted:

Howdy folks,

I've been offered the chance to attend a language course here if I reenlist and I have some questions. Sorry if these have already been answered.

How are living accommodations for a single E-5/6 in the Air Force? More specifically, I'm looking to bring my brother with me to get him out of a bad situation. Will the place I get be big enough to fit us both, or will it be more like a dorm room? Also, are there good places he could work/attend school in the area?

Will I be relatively free from gently caress-gently caress games? I don't care for parties and drinking, but I'd like to see the area and don't want to be stuck doing stupid poo poo with the new folks.

Well, kudo's for thinking ahead I guess but you may be thinking way further ahead than you should be.

Getting to E-5 can take a little bit. Getting to E-6, even longer.

Are you prior service being offered up a USAF contract w/ E-5 or E-6 guaranteed or something?

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
If you're a single E-4, then you probably won't be living off base. However, if things are anything like they were a couple of years ago, then they have no room for a (presumably) single E-5/E-6 in the barracks/dorms. Accommodations for E-5/E-6 and more than adequate, assuming you choose to live on "base" housing, though you probably won't have another choice if you're single. Probably one or two bedroom ranch-style townhouse, about 1200 sq ft. Plenty of stuff to do in the area. MPC is a decent school and relatively affordable, other more expensive schools are right there too (CSUMB, MIIS, etc.) Job market is healthy, which is good because cost of living is insane. Also, between school and military responsibilities, you won't be around all that much, so I hope you trust your brother.

Also, google Fort Ord housing sometime, and you can check out the floor plans and pictures and all.

new friend from school fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 22, 2013

TAC
Jun 24, 2010

CISNAZI WEEDHITLER posted:

Well, kudo's for thinking ahead I guess but you may be thinking way further ahead than you should be.

Getting to E-5 can take a little bit. Getting to E-6, even longer.

Are you prior service being offered up a USAF contract w/ E-5 or E-6 guaranteed or something?

Thanks for the quick reply. Guess I should have clarified:

I'm currently an active duty E-5 nearing the end of my first contract. I just put the 6 in there because there's a good chance I'll be selected for it (unless the average goes way up) due to testing well and because I'll be maxed on awards/decs points. Yeah, that probably makes me sounds like a douche, but here's to hoping!

Basically, I've been offered a job with a guaranteed follow-on in exchange for 4 more years of my life. I still have some time to think on it, I just want to get a feel of things before I take the plunge.

TAC
Jun 24, 2010

safetyStanddown posted:

If you're a single E-4, then you probably won't be living off base. However, if things are anything like they were a couple of years ago, then they have no room for a (presumably) single E-5/E-6 in the barracks/dorms. Accommodations for E-5/E-6 and more than adequate, assuming you choose to live on "base" housing, though you probably won't have another choice if you're single. Probably one or two bedroom ranch-style townhouse, about 1200 sq ft. Plenty of stuff to do in the area. MPC is a decent school and relatively affordable, other more expensive schools are right there too (CSUMB, MIIS, etc.) Job market is healthy, which is good because cost of living is insane. Also, between school and military responsibilities, you won't be around all that much, so I hope you trust your brother.

Also, google Fort Ord housing sometime, and you can check out the floor plans and pictures and all.

This answered my questions perfectly. Thank you!

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

TAC posted:

Thanks for the quick reply. Guess I should have clarified:

I'm currently an active duty E-5 nearing the end of my first contract. I just put the 6 in there because there's a good chance I'll be selected for it (unless the average goes way up) due to testing well and because I'll be maxed on awards/decs points. Yeah, that probably makes me sounds like a douche, but here's to hoping!

Basically, I've been offered a job with a guaranteed follow-on in exchange for 4 more years of my life. I still have some time to think on it, I just want to get a feel of things before I take the plunge.

Yeah you can easily take care of you and your brother as an E-5/6. If you're enjoying the mil life and it's making you happy and you want to go this path you're in good shape for it. And nah, maxing out dec points doesn't make you a douche, it's just numbers on a piece of paper- ya know? Posting your ribbon rack or watching a cartoon pony show would make you a douche. You didn't do either of those things so your good.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

TAC posted:

This answered my questions perfectly. Thank you!

Forgot to add, if he doesn't have his own car, getting around on a bike is doable. Bike trails are everywhere, and they go to all the places you would want to go.
Also, get ready for the worst drivers anywhere. Having s steady climate (never too hot or too cold, seasons are almost indiscernible) and a tourism industry catered towards old people, the streets are always filled with out-of-the-area, irate, lost, and confused senior drivers. Have fun with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AchmedTheSnake
Apr 6, 2006
This title is clever.
Finally made it after my roll. DLPT coming up in 4 weeks or so. Im really nervous since I barely scraped by on my last reading test. I was wondering why DLPT scores don't ever seem to reflect class performance directly. I've been studying lots of multiple choice questions in hopes that it will get me used to it so that I end up doing really well. It's so hard to calm down for this test....

• Locked thread