Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Liberty walk are working on something not poo poo that actually looks rad. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Liberty walk are working on something not poo poo that actually looks rad. Holy poo poo.

Slammed, with poorly fitted body kit... If it was a Honda it'd be rice. I guess the fact that it's a Ferrari makes it risotto?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The red ones look just awful.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

GramCracker posted:

I saw an old thing while driving home from work:

Quoting a 7 week old post, but I knew that truck looked familiar.

http://bringatrailer.com/2013/04/27/ex-california-1963-dodge-power-wagon-town-wagon/

Probably headed to it's new home.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

drgitlin posted:

The red ones look just awful.

Same cars - they are a 3D render pasted on a background.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Saw this over the weekend

KeanuReevesGhost fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 16, 2013

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Tables, dude. Fixed.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 15, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cat Terrist posted:

Gotta agree about Roadkill and Chris Harris. Best loving car shows on the Net bar none

Mighty Car Mods is pretty good tho season 5 has been a bit lame in places.

Chris Harris is amazing. Especially in his latest video where he is drunk in a C Type Jag after racing in the Mille Miglia

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Roadkill gets posted in the YouTube thread as soon as it goes up every month. Cat Terrist beats me to posting it, usually :mad:

1,005 cubic inches. One thousand and five.

:psyduck:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Does it run?

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

angryhampster posted:

Does it run?

http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/engines/sar-1005-2150-hp-new-for-2013

quote:

THE FIRST V8 ENGINE OVER 1000 CU. IN. ENGINE HERE AT SONNY'S! THIS MONSTER MAKES OVER 2150 HP,and over 1550 Ft. Lbs of Torque, AND YES IT'S NATURALLY ASPIRATED !!!! NICKNAMED " THE GODFATHER" Because this is the Big Daddy of all engines, and who else could produce such an Amazing Engine, nobody but Sonny Leonard Himself!

•Sonny's Fully in-house CNC ported Hemispherical Cylinder Heads
•Sonny's/CN Billet Block with raised cam
•Bryant billet crank
•GRP Billet Aluminum rods
•SAR/BME custom pistons
•Sonny's/Isky 1.095 special keyed roller lifters
•Tool steel taper-wall pins
•Total Seal rings
•Manley titanium valves & PSI valve springs
•SAR/ Jesel/T&D rocker system
•Trends one piece pushrods
•Jesel cam belt drive
•Autoverde Dry Sump oiling system
•ATI balancer
•MSD cranktrigger ignition
•SAR Special Sheet Metal Intake with (4) Accufab Throttle Bodies
•SAR/ Big Stuff EFI with Run Map, and 16 Injectors
•SAR Billet valve covers
•Mezier hi-torque starter
•Fuel lines, and Fuel Rails with regulator
•Sonny's/ LSM Special 75 mm camshaft

PRICE: $109,800.00

For that price it drat well better! :stonk:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

4K off for dual four-barrels! How much does that fucker weigh? Might be fun in a smaller boat.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It actually says it's quad two-barrels, interestingly enough.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
It has 16 fuel injectors.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I wonder what the comp ratio is... Because if it's low enough I'm pretty sure two of these are mandatory:

:getin:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I was at the pick n pull today, and saw this:

Sorry about the framing, the rows there don't really give much room. It was sitting on a modern-ish truck frame, had an EFI mopar V8 of some kind. I think this is the oldest thing I've seen at a pick n pull. Breaks my heart thinking about them crushing that and the '58 F100 that was there, but what you gon' do.

There was also this:

And on the way home this:

Too bad there's no more cell phone pics thread, this really goes there. Excuse my wildly-aiming-phone-while-driving and also my horribly dirty windshield, and, well, the rest of the truck.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Roadkill gets posted in the YouTube thread as soon as it goes up every month. Cat Terrist beats me to posting it, usually :mad:

1,005 cubic inches. One thousand and five.

For comparisons sake Scania makes a similarly size truck engine at 16.4 L the DC16 Turbo Diesel V8 engine produces 730 PS (540 kW; 720 hp) at 1,900 rpm and 3,500 N·m (2,600 lb·ft) of torque at 1,000 - 1,350 rpm. Currently its the worlds most powerful production truck.

And do they ever sound awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KQ4i-YufMI

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Anphear posted:

For comparisons sake Scania makes a similarly size truck engine at 16.4 L the DC16 Turbo Diesel V8 engine produces 730 PS (540 kW; 720 hp) at 1,900 rpm and 3,500 N·m (2,600 lb·ft) of torque at 1,000 - 1,350 rpm. Currently its the worlds most powerful production truck.

And do they ever sound awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KQ4i-YufMI

I have witnessed such a Scania v8 (not sure which hp rating it was, it was definitely out of one of the newer models) crammed into a very old cabover scania for truck racing. It was...something.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
That's the same company that made the engine in the red Holden that was posted about a month ago. It was insane with ~750ci.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Is that thing based on a ford/chevy/dodge V8 or is it all inhouse engineering?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's nominally Chevy based but totally custom built. Most high end drag racing mills are custom designed, Donovan started that in the late 60's and early 70's when Chrysler pulled the plug on the Hemi. Nowadays billet blocks are all the rage, CNC machining has become advanced enough for random dudes to own and program the machines to produce anything they want. Like, that Sonny's block is a sorta Chevy, but with custom cooling and oiling, Hemi heads, and most accessories relocated for packaging.

Frankenstein poo poo.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 16, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You're at the point with an engine like that where every component in them is already custom, and the 'design' is remarkably simple. It may have theoretically started life as a Chevy (he has one listed as a Pontiac, interestingly) but everything has been scaled well past compatibility with any parts that weren't purpose-built for this monster.

Speaking of custom parts...

Apparently those are 17" steelies set up for the hubcaps. I kinda want them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

It's nominally Chevy based but totally custom built. Most high end drag racing mills are custom designed, Donovan started that in the late 60's and early 70's when Chrysler pulled the plug on the Hemi. Nowadays billet blocks are all the rage, CNC machining has become advanced enough for random dudes to own and program the machines to produce anything they want. Like, that Sonny's block is a sorta Chevy, but with custom cooling and oiling, Hemi heads, and most accessories relocated for packaging.

Frankenstein poo poo.

So...if random cunts with a CNC machine and money can machine a block+heads from scratch, why do they insist on building pushrod engines? I'm not being a dick, I genuinely don't understand.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Slavvy posted:

So...if random cunts with a CNC machine and money can machine a block+heads from scratch, why do they insist on building pushrod engines? I'm not being a dick, I genuinely don't understand.

Familiarity most likely.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slavvy posted:

Familiarity, and also simplicity. You ever see a Top Fuel team work on an engine? Exotic head setups needlessly complicate the procedure, and truth be told, no racing engine in history has approached the power and torque numbers that a nitro gulping pushrod V8 is capable of.

Here's a Top Fuel team doing a tear down.

McGee quad cams were a thing in the 1980's. I guess they were an Australian take on drag engines, but the maintenance was a bit more than the average pushrod engine, and rules changes eventually did them in.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Slavvy posted:

Also, pushrod engines aren't inherently bad or anything. Compared to a DOHC engine you need more (internal) displacement to hit a given power level, all else being equal - but the exterior dimensions are smaller and the weight and complexity is less.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Cost is a factor, too. When you're replacing parts after every pass, poo poo adds up quick. Less moving parts means less can go wrong, too. If I'm throwing thousands of horsepower and torque through my engine I'd rather have one big rear end cam and sixteen beefy valves over four small cams and thirty two thin valves any day of the week.

The exotic parts in drag racing are the clutch packs, honestly. Dual clutches are ancient tech in the drag racing world, but they are all the rage now in supercars.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The McGee engines were at one point more powerful but the power delivery wasnt good - all peak power and nothing resembling an rpm range. So if you got it into the handful of rpm it worked and it delivered high ET's - but the 15 meter/reaction time usually sucked and there was other problems plsu they were kinda more expensive.

They were kinda getting somewhere in fixing the problems before drag racing got concerned about the ET's being pulled and cars not being able to stop. OHC motors were clearly going to just keep the ET problem getting worse.

They made a one cylinder engine so they could test their designs on a dyno too.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

So I did some reading and McGee's are kinda cool. Started out in the 70's, based on the Offenhauser, Offy, Indy engine. The McGee V8 is two Offy's fused, with a 426 Hemi based crank. Crank was because NHRA mandated some "stock" parts, and a 426 crank enabled the engine to go forward, with the added bonus of being the strongest crank going at the time. So they mess around in Australia for awhile and never really catch on. By the 80's the operation moved to the US because of better sponsorship, and R&D, opportunities.

They had both 3 valve and 4 valve per cylinder heads, and apparently the best results were the 3 valves running on alcohol. The 4 valves running on nitro torched heads due to failing valves and valvetrain parts.

As Cat Terrist said, they started to get a handle on some of the head issues, and trap speeds started to creep up. Out of the hole they weren't so hot due to initial wind up being slower than a 2 valve pushrod. Lots more stuff flying around, the pushrod had a torque advantage at low rpms. However, the McGee had a higher redline, and effectively posted times similar to what a turbo engine would do. Once it started going, it kept going. So E.T.'s weren't really better or worse, they just left slower and crossed the line faster. This was concerning because all of a sudden the trap speed was going to far exceed what was normal. Had they the time to develop further, man, they would have hauled rear end. So they got legislated out of the rulebook.

Pretty similar to turbos, too. Some guys ran turbo Top Fuel cars...

...but the same thing happened. Trap speeds were up, and that was plenty dangerous. So it's kind of lame both were banned, but at least they were banned for a good reason.

e- I posted that Hemi rail in here before, and I still maintain that running a twin turbo 426 Hemi in like 1970 with mechanical fuel injection and no computer control is some type of literal wizardry. :colbert: A warlock built that.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 17, 2013

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

:corsair: Where are the other 4 cylinders? :bahgawd:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Wrong generation. That fella there didn't need more than 4 to work 40 acres, or whoop Hitler's rear end. But those goddamn Japs...

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

I was thinking to myself, "Wow, what elegant plumbing", then realized it didn't have any sort of intercooling.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

:corsair: Where are the other 4 cylinders? :bahgawd:

You guys are way too critical. What i see is a true motorhead appreciating a clean engine bay regardless of make, model, or stance.

This fat-rear end showed up at an auction i went to. Nothing usually sells for more than ~$20k, but this somehow brought in $66,500.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Powershift posted:

You guys are way too critical. What i see is a true motorhead appreciating a clean engine bay regardless of make, model, or stance.

This fat-rear end showed up at an auction i went to. Nothing usually sells for more than ~$20k, but this somehow brought in $66,500.

The remark was a joke. I presume. In any event, depending on the options and mileage, someone got an amazing deal on that 360.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Powershift posted:

What the hell happened to the exhaust?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Das Volk posted:

What the hell happened to the exhaust?

I'm going to guess flood damage.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Cakefool posted:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C390215

"There was no doomsday, so I don't need him anymore"

... it's a stock C-306 with some stuff in the back? how is that worth 25,000 euros?

oh. it has a light bar.

aaaaand now I want to go put a lift kit on my cherokee. thanks.

Doccers fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Doccers posted:

aaaaand now I want to go put a lift kit on my cherokee. thanks.

I'm so sorry. Fill up your O/A tanks and start hosing the suspension bolts down with penetrating lube twice a day now, and don't even think about turning anything for a month :v:

I want this one so loving bad.

Click for video :aaaaa: iirc they ended up DNFing due to a broken motor mount and severe front suspension damage, wonder why?

Driver's post concerning that stunt: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/competitions-events/513862-mdr-outlaw-250-jeepspeed-1790-fat-city-wall.html#post5973238

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 17, 2013