Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
One time, I bought a Virtual Dynamics cable. And cable feet.

:eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Wild EEPROM posted:

It's okay buddy. Posting here is the first step to redemption.

The next step, unfortunately, is us making fun of you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wild EEPROM posted:

Where's a cable gonna walk?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Confounding Factor posted:

I know this is entirely anecdotal, but am I far off to say I hear a wider soundstage and better dimensional imaging with tracks that are FLAC files or even 320kbps?

I don't know because some of the cheaper IEMs, hell headphones in general, can produce artificial bass to make up for the lack of a lower bottom frequency. I experienced that with the Grado, however like you said with it being bright, the treble they produce is pretty much spot on. And to its credit, they are efficient enough to where you don't need an amplifier.

Could you quantify the bolded parts for me? Like, is there an actual accepted measurement for those?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

Could you quantify the bolded parts for me? Like, is there an actual accepted measurement for those?

Wider soundstage = it feels as if your ears are suddenly further apart from each other
Dimensional imaging = visions of fell creatures from dread netherworlds flit across your field of vision: listening to music while under the influence of hallucinogenic substances
Bright = you are listening to music in the daytime, or have some sort of artificial lighting; stuff just seems to sound better when you can see your 40000€ wooden knob modifications

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Neurophonic posted:

Good work, now can you solder me up a VEAM multipin please?

I could but I'd probably kill myself halfway through when I realise I was working from a female pinout when it should've been a male one. :sweatdrop:

Those seriously look like my nightmares.

something_clever
Sep 25, 2006
Since there isn't an Crazy Old Rich Guys Awesome Audio Systems Thread I thought I would post this here:

Here's a "nice" horn system:

Subwoofer horn extended into the front yard:stare:

Including a very nice Espresso maker/time machine?:

More here: (The only source I could get?)
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/10834-you-want-audio-this-is-pretty-flippin-crazy/

More from that thread:
Jeremy Kipnis $6,000,000 home theater system:

Giant brick & mortar subwoofer enclosure from Spain:

Also The Ultimate Audiophile CD-player:airquote:
Modded Playstation 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzFISVx1mXc
I have to admit they look pretty good. I've should have kept my old PS1:colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jesus Christ, what is wrong with these people?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah seriously. If Kipnis can afford all that sound equipment, he could at least cough up enough money for a decent couch.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

:stonk: :stonk:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing about audiophile setups is the rack that's too small to hold all of their equipment, so they just lay it out on the floor wherever. Plus the huge mess of cables. Somebody needs to make audiophile quality cable organizers (these probably exist).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

No, you don't understand.
Combining cords is worse than crossing the streams. You create a Gestalt of interference; overpowering the EM shielding of the cables due to the Tunnelling Effect. Thereby introducing disharmonic resonances into the haha- poo poo, I can't do this with a straight face.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

something_clever posted:

Since there isn't an Crazy Old Rich Guys Awesome Audio Systems Thread I thought I would post this here:

Here's a "nice" horn system:

Watch him go on vacation and a couple of meth heads break in to his house and sell the whole thing for scrap metal.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think they put it on the floor for a reason. Also that 6 million dollar theater, yet he has bare floors and a glass coffee table. Actual measurably bad things.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

jonathan posted:

Actual measurably bad things.
You and your science!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder if he has a fart jar so that he doesn't ruin a guests 6million dollar experience.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

You and your science!

I made a huge technical sciencey post about room acoustics a few months back and nobody even viewed it. So gently caress it glass coffee tables for everyone.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

jonathan posted:

I think they put it on the floor for a reason. Also that 6 million dollar theater, yet he has bare floors and a glass coffee table. Actual measurably bad things.

...also the perfectly rectangular space. I mean, more power to him, he has the means to do what he wants but a properly acoustically set up room would change the whole game. Brute force has its place but it seems like all he has.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Amar Bose has died at 83. I know we all joke about his company's products, but mr. Bose was driven, passionate and from all accounts a fantastic teacher, one of MIT's most popular professors.

Somehow, this thread fits as a place to post this. He started his company because he was fed up with audiophile nonsense, so he wanted to build his own products on scientific principles. People love to disagree on the results, but their success can't be questioned.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2013/obit-amar-bose-0712.html

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

jonathan posted:

I made a huge technical sciencey post about room acoustics a few months back and nobody even viewed it. So gently caress it glass coffee tables for everyone.

I want to see it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eggsovereasy posted:

I want to see it.

Its gone. Mostly it was just a primer on room treatments. Absorption and dispersion.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

jonathan posted:

Hey, you prompted me to ask a question about room acoustics that's been nagging me.

My basement home theater room was quite effectively deadened by the bookcases lining three of the walls. Unfortunately we got a couple inches water in there that effectively deadened my cheap bookcases. I'm pondering doing Rakks wall-mounted shelves (mounted 18" off the ground so that future floods will just go under them), but I'm a touch worried about the aluminum construction. Can I rely on the books to dampen them out?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Hey, you prompted me to ask a question about room acoustics that's been nagging me.

My basement home theater room was quite effectively deadened by the bookcases lining three of the walls. Unfortunately we got a couple inches water in there that effectively deadened my cheap bookcases. I'm pondering doing Rakks wall-mounted shelves (mounted 18" off the ground so that future floods will just go under them), but I'm a touch worried about the aluminum construction. Can I rely on the books to dampen them out?

It won't do much for the low frequencies. And if it does make a difference, it could make things worse as much as it makes them better. For the high frequencies it will probably be better than bare walls. It will have some dispersion properties which might remove some ringing/slap echo etc. However, the results will be unpredictable and most likely will tame some frequencies but not others.

Its not a scientific way to go about treating room issues, but it might address certain issues by chance.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

something_clever posted:

Including a very nice Espresso maker/time machine?:

When I saw the earlier shot where you could see two of these things in the middle ground, I actually said out loud "what the gently caress are those? Time machines?"

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Gromit posted:

When I saw the earlier shot where you could see two of these things in the middle ground, I actually said out loud "what the gently caress are those? Time machines?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjPUoyMLdQ4

It is apparently made by this guy, "Electron Luv."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjPUoyMLdQ4

It is apparently made by this guy, "Electron Luv."

I'd be shocked if any of that equipment sounded as good as my $1000 home theater, but it does look gorgeous.

Then again, I straight up don't like the sound of vacuum tube amps, so I'm probably biased.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

Then again, I straight up don't like the sound of vacuum tube amps, so I'm probably biased.

Tube amps are awesome for making music, not so awesome for playing it back.

We would never have stuff like this had it not been for tube amps (and LOADS of drugs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqM5L5JQseI

That Hammond organ sounds fantastically dirty when played through a guitar amp. RIP Jon Lord.

Screw SOTW and Highway Star, this is by far the best track on Machine Head.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 17, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Tube amps are awesome for making music, not so awesome for playing it back.

We would never have stuff like this had it not been for tube amps (and LOADS of drugs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqM5L5JQseI

That Hammond organ sounds fantastically dirty when played through a guitar amp. RIP Jon Lord.

Screw SOTW and Highway Star, this is by far the best track on Machine Head.

Right, but I consider that analogous to a filter being applied during mastering. It's part of the original song, and it's meant to be listened that way. Using a tube amp to listen is like putting one of these in your system (except worse, because it only has one setting and you can't even turn it off).

http://www.amazon.com/Lexicon-MX200...fects+processor

Again, though, I like my music played back as analytically as possible (within a modest budget). I'd rather use software to apply effects or EQ if I think a song sounds better with it. If you think Bach sounds better with tube distortion, go for it.

I think a lot of tube fans are old timers that grew up with tube distortion and it sounds wrong to them without it. Also hipsters, I'm sure.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 17, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Exactly. Recording is the time for filters, effects, wacky barely-functioning vintage amps and all that. Playback is all about getting what's recorded to your ears as free from distortion as possible.

Amps for playback shouldn't have a "signature sound" or a "tonal quality of its own" or "warmth" or any other kind of bullshit. If it does, it's defective.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Supposedly The Chemical Brothers' entire first album was recorded off microphones picking up the music played back through vintage guitar amps. Nowadays there's a plug-in for that but I always thought that was hilarious [if true].

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
It's not true.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

I'd be shocked if any of that equipment sounded as good as my $1000 home theater, but it does look gorgeous.

Your system also might sound better because it was designed by actual engineering and not 'durrr we put thingys here till they sound good durrr'.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Philthy posted:

Your system also might sound better because it was designed by actual engineering and not 'durrr we put thingys here till they sound good durrr'.

Heh, no. This is way too dangerously close to a "test" for an audiophile. No, the true audiophile will tell you what he will hear different, turn it on, and viola.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

qirex posted:

Supposedly The Chemical Brothers' entire first album was recorded off microphones picking up the music played back through vintage guitar amps. Nowadays there's a plug-in for that but I always thought that was hilarious [if true].

I've actually recorded some ambient/doom-ish music by playing it through vintage guitar amps and it sounds loving amazing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

Heh, no. This is way too dangerously close to a "test" for an audiophile. No, the true audiophile will tell you what he will hear different, turn it on, and viola.

What kind of equipment inserts classical stringed instruments in all your music?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KillHour posted:

What kind of equipment inserts classical stringed instruments in all your music?

:rolleyes: obviously you'll be so impressed, you'll want to celebrate with cheese.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Those cables grip onto the jacks too tight, it takes quite a bit of force to unplug them and one of the ones I bought broke in half not too long after I got it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Socket Ryanist posted:

Those cables grip onto the jacks too tight, it takes quite a bit of force to unplug them and one of the ones I bought broke in half not too long after I got it.

They grip so loving tight, I pulled the wire right out of the jack once.

Yes, it was Monster.
Yes, I should've grabbed the jack, not the cord, regardless.
Yes, I know better- on both counts now.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

A sort-of solution I've found for too-tight cables is to twist them while connecting and disconnecting, like a screwing motion. It breaks the static friction and lets them slip on and off a little easier without putting tons of stress on your jacks. Still a pain in the rear end, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Skeleton Ape posted:

A sort-of solution I've found for too-tight cables is to twist them while connecting and disconnecting, like a screwing motion. It breaks the static friction and lets them slip on and off a little easier without putting tons of stress on your jacks. Still a pain in the rear end, though.

Doesn't it actually put hell of stress on your jacks? Because twisting is how I've broken most of the jacks I've broken (:smith:).