Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've been told that B2's like to do practice bombing runs on the St. Louis arch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Linedance posted:

they tacked that bit on at the end about him thinking he might break his hand or his neck, because :siren:DANGER:siren:, but whats actually impressive is picking up the ball and tracking it from that distance. A bit of wind and that ball could have landed 50' from where he was.

Yeah, I was more impressed he tracked it. The whole :supaburn: BREAK MY NECK/HAND/PENIS just made me :rolleye:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fknlo posted:

I've been told that B2's like to do practice bombing runs on the St. Louis arch.

Isn't that kind of cheating?

Perhaps they should also use the Boeing Everett plant for practice?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

fknlo posted:

Military got some money from somewhere. There have been an assload of them in the air over the past week or two.

Congress passed a law removing the "can't reallocate money" clause in the sequester, so now the executive branch departments have more flexibility to move funds around, as opposed to before where a significant amount of the cuts were from O&M...hence units that were grounded before getting some flying hours back now.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

fknlo posted:

bomberarch by RReiheld, on Flickr

This was from the 4th of July a couple years back. Whiteman AFB is just down the way, so we get B-2's for special occasions like baseball game flyovers, and airshows.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Excluding the three, the other shapes involved in that photo are so "low poly count" that they look like something rendered by the Source engine with anti-aliasing turned up to mega ultra high.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

what

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

aside from the tree, the other shapes i.e. the arch and the B-2, are extremely flat dimensionally speaking, thus giving it the optical effect of looking like it was rendered with a very low resolution mesh in a computer game. Not sure what was difficult to understand about that. :confused:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

How loud is the B2?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Advent Horizon posted:

How loud is the B2?

Unstealthily loud. You hear them coming well before you see them at flyby altitude. Not loud like an F-16, but certainly military loud. They sound enough different than 737's that I can jog out of my house in time to see them flying over.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The one time I saw a B-2 flying, it didn't seem much louder than your run of the mill modern airliner would be. I imagine it would be relatively loud on takeoff compared to said airliner, however. Certainly not like a B-1, which is about the loudest aircraft I've ever experienced.

SeaborneClink posted:

aside from the tree, the other shapes i.e. the arch and the B-2, are extremely flat dimensionally speaking, thus giving it the optical effect of looking like it was rendered with a very low resolution mesh in a computer game. Not sure what was difficult to understand about that. :confused:

The original comment isn't hard to understand, it's just a weird way of saying it didn't look real, is all.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

MrChips posted:

The one time I saw a B-2 flying, it didn't seem much louder than your run of the mill modern airliner would be. I imagine it would be relatively loud on takeoff compared to said airliner, however. Certainly not like a B-1, which is about the loudest aircraft I've ever experienced.

Loudest I ever heard was an F-4 Phantom at Blytheville AFB at an airshow in the 80s when I was a kid. I involuntarily fell on the ground during a very low pass over the crowd, and thought it was a sonic boom. I felt it in my stomach and in my teeth and everywhere else.

Speaking of airplane noise, I've lived in Memphis my whole life and grew up near the airport, so the sounds of FedEx and National Guard flights are the "white noise" that helps me sleep at night. I've lived in the suburbs for the past ten years, but recently stayed at a friend's house in midtown right over the main flight path from the northeast, and slept like a rock from the soothing sounds of GE and Pratt & Whitney.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MrChips posted:

The original comment isn't hard to understand, it's just a weird way of saying it didn't look real, is all.

Figured I'd explain why it doesn't look real :)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

benito posted:

Loudest I ever heard was an F-4 Phantom at Blytheville AFB at an airshow in the 80s when I was a kid. I involuntarily fell on the ground during a very low pass over the crowd, and thought it was a sonic boom. I felt it in my stomach and in my teeth and everywhere else.

This is going back, but one of my first memories of aviation is of the 1986 Edmonton Air Show; I was only about three years old or so, but I remember the CF-104 sneak pass like it was yesterday. The thing you have to remember about the F-104 is that at high speed, it makes an ear-piercing howling noise - the so-called "Banshee Wail". Anyway, this CF-104 was low and fast with afterburner engaged, howling like a, well, banshee...catching everyone off-guard as it passed over show centre at who knows how fast. My parents tell of how after the sneak pass, pretty much every kid in the crowd was bawling their eyes out...all of them, except for me. I guess that was when/where I caught the bug.

I've also had the pleasure of being "boomed" once, by a CF-18. It was on my gliding course; we were writing our Transport Canada exams that morning, which was the Friday morning before the Red Deer air show. As the story goes, the cadets who were on the two-week basic training course were to have their graduation parade - one of whom, their father just happened to be the CF-18 demo pilot. So, it was arranged that the pilot, having finished his morning practice trip, would make a low pass over his son's parade. The only thing is that it was a very cold morning; cold enough that there was frost (at the end of July :wtc:). So put together a cold day, a father looking to show off a bit, a supersonic fighter and what do you get? A sonic boom that had everyone in the exam room jumping to the windows in about a second flat! Even the stodgy exam proctor was excited about it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrChips posted:

Watching B1s take off from ~1000 feet away is amazing.

The F22s are surprisingly loud on take off also.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MrChips posted:

This is going back, but one of my first memories of aviation is of the 1986 Edmonton Air Show; I was only about three years old or so, but I remember the CF-104 sneak pass like it was yesterday. The thing you have to remember about the F-104 is that at high speed, it makes an ear-piercing howling noise - the so-called "Banshee Wail". Anyway, this CF-104 was low and fast with afterburner engaged, howling like a, well, banshee...catching everyone off-guard as it passed over show centre at who knows how fast. My parents tell of how after the sneak pass, pretty much every kid in the crowd was bawling their eyes out...all of them, except for me. I guess that was when/where I caught the bug.

I've also had the pleasure of being "boomed" once, by a CF-18. It was on my gliding course; we were writing our Transport Canada exams that morning, which was the Friday morning before the Red Deer air show. As the story goes, the cadets who were on the two-week basic training course were to have their graduation parade - one of whom, their father just happened to be the CF-18 demo pilot. So, it was arranged that the pilot, having finished his morning practice trip, would make a low pass over his son's parade. The only thing is that it was a very cold morning; cold enough that there was frost (at the end of July :wtc:). So put together a cold day, a father looking to show off a bit, a supersonic fighter and what do you get? A sonic boom that had everyone in the exam room jumping to the windows in about a second flat! Even the stodgy exam proctor was excited about it.

Frost in July even in Alberta has me :raise:

But I do remember around 1992 in YQU a couple of CF18s came loving screaming into town from speeds well, WELL above 250 in that howl that you can not describe that those cocksuckers love to do (and I love it) to the airshow. Banshee in heat or something ungodly like that. loving glorious. I only wish I could hear a CF104 do that, it could only be hotter.

Our airshow in YQL is next week and I can only hope that they try to replicate it. Seems the closest we get are CF18 crashes though :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Advent Horizon posted:

How loud is the B2?

They're pretty loud. My dad lives a few miles off the end of the runway at Whiteman and gets them going over all the time on their way to try and be in conflict with every single airliner possible with the routes they file.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

fknlo posted:

They're pretty loud.

Right up until the initiate stealth mode.

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.

MrChips posted:

...Certainly not like a B-1, which is about the loudest aircraft I've ever experienced. ...
You sir, have clearly never experienced a hovering AV-8B. That being said a B-1 is fuckoff loud, especially with the afterburners going. It's fun to watch such a large plane handle so amazingly.

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Needs more Bone. Time for some Charleston Air Force Base (now Joint Base Charleston) air-show pictures from a while back. Wow, 2006 was 7 years ago!

Hey, what's that off in the distance?

Oh it's a friendly B-1B

Wow, that's moving really fast

That was real-AAAAHHHHHHHH MY EARSSSS JESUS

Yes C-17, you're cool too

Coming back thirsty no doubt

I'm Batman

Look at that sexy beast. So glad they removed its scoliosis brace

Engine farts?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I've been buzzed at low altitude by a lot of military aircraft, but nothing compares to a bone under 500 feet going over 600 knots at full burn.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mlmp08 posted:

I've been buzzed at low altitude by a lot of military aircraft, but nothing compares to a bone under 500 feet going over 600 knots at full burn.

What?

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Bone = B-one = B-1

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Wait, we're talking about loud aircraft and the Vulcan hasn't been mentioned?

For shame, AI, for shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzdtYU7i_jY

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

block51 posted:

Bone = B-one = B-1

Joke about loud noises went clean over your head, didn't it?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

IPCRESS posted:

Wait, we're talking about loud aircraft and the Vulcan hasn't been mentioned?

For shame, AI, for shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzdtYU7i_jY

While the vulcan is loud (and was louder when 'in service' and not being treated fairly delicately), I was suprised at just how loud the viggen was when I saw it at waddington.

In terms of actual 'loudness' nothing competes to the close (enough to feel the heat) buzzing I got when I was ~8yo by a EE Lightning

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

block51 posted:

Bone = B-one = B-1

WHAT?

e: ugh, too many windows open too long...

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I've gotten to see a B1 and a B2 flyover at a couple VT football games. The B2 was quiet until it passed directly overhead and the B1 was the loudest noise I've heard behind a space shuttle launch. Both of them I was pretty much in the top row in the stadium, so I had an extra 200 feet of height compared to ground level.

e: B2 flying right over my head:

e2: And for good measure, a couple more flyovers from the year after. I was in the top row for these so the angle was pretty good.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 17, 2013

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

block51 posted:

You sir, have clearly never experienced a hovering AV-8B. That being said a B-1 is fuckoff loud, especially with the afterburners going. It's fun to watch such a large plane handle so amazingly.

Are they louder than Avro Vulcans? I used to love going to airshows as a child, and the Vulcan was the only plane that made me feel like my teeth were vibrating out, which was absolutely wonderful!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

block51 posted:

Maybe I was just exceptionally close to the stupid low b-1 passes, given that it was purposefully buzzing my precise location, but it blew the hell out of the sound of even a pair of hovering harriers.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

One Eye Open posted:

Are they louder than Avro Vulcans? I used to love going to airshows as a child, and the Vulcan was the only plane that made me feel like my teeth were vibrating out, which was absolutely wonderful!

My earliest aviation memory is of the sky going dark from a vulcan passing overhead on a (fake) bombing run*, it was amazing how you didn't hear it til it reached you, then bam, the air split asunder.

* I grew up in a valley surrounded by radar installations that were used for practising low level interdiction, and to the north was the entrance to a set of valleys that were used by fighter pilots for canyon runs. So high altitude aircraft were an oddity (usually either the steady drone of shackletons heading out to look for subs, or nimrods heading out to look for bears). Most of the aircraft were UK: vulcans, tornados, harriers, lightnings, phantoms, provosts, but occasionally you'd see something more exotic, german F104s, F15s, even saw B-52s with water injection running at low level a time or two. By the end of the 80s A-10s were all you ever saw though, everything else was either disbanded or relocated to RAF Valley.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

block51 posted:

I remember seeing a Harrier demo at Westover about 1992, and I don't recall it being exceptionally loud.

Soviet-built cargo aircraft...Now those fuckers are loud. I used to listen to the scanner in my dorm room 3 miles from the Fairbanks airport; occasionally you'd hear "Something something heavy clear" and about a minute laster the noise would come through the walls.

I actually picked that dorm room because the DC-6s and C-46 Commandos flew right by on their fuel and cargo runs. The C-46s were so low you could count rivets, I have no idea how those things ever got over the hump.

block51
Jun 18, 2002

MrYenko posted:

Joke about loud noises went clean over your head, didn't it?

Uhhh no!

yes...

block51
Jun 18, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Maybe I was just exceptionally close to the stupid low b-1 passes, given that it was purposefully buzzing my precise location, but it blew the hell out of the sound of even a pair of hovering harriers.

Fair enough. I could be miss-remembering of course. The Harrier was easily 15 years ago. I keep forgetting that I'm turning 30 this year.

I think we can all agree that many military jet aircraft are loud, and loud is awesome. This is the Internet though so I should probably be careful about saying "All agree".

Now for some pictures to make up for my blah blah blahing.

C-5! 2006 CAFB airshow

Engine on an F-15, 2006 CAFB airshow

GAU-8 Avenger, A-10, 2006 CAFB airshow

All those specks are airborne DC-3's. They had a lot of DC-3's that year. Oshkosh, 2010

DC-2 at Oshkosh, 2010

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Any of you going to be at Oshkosh this year?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

When I was in cadets at Trenton, a c5 galaxy flew overhead to land at the base there. It was the loudest think I'd ever heard in my young life. Obnoxiously loud.
Years later I was at YYZ about 800-1000m from the runway when Concorde took off.
I don't know if it was louder than the c5, but it's noise you can feel in your soul.

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Linedance posted:

When I was in cadets at Trenton, a c5 galaxy flew overhead to land at the base there. It was the loudest think I'd ever heard in my young life. Obnoxiously loud.
Years later I was at YYZ about 800-1000m from the runway when Concorde took off.
I don't know if it was louder than the c5, but it's noise you can feel in your soul.

I love the sound that the C-5 makes. It's a deep, almost guttural, growl combined with a very high pitch squeal at the same time.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

SybilVimes posted:

While the vulcan is loud (and was louder when 'in service' and not being treated fairly delicately), I was suprised at just how loud the viggen was when I saw it at waddington.

In terms of actual 'loudness' nothing competes to the close (enough to feel the heat) buzzing I got when I was ~8yo by a EE Lightning

In (iirc) 1986 there was an SR-71 at Farnborough. It's still the loudest thing I've ever heard, and that includes being 3 miles away from a space shuttle launch and quite a few F1 races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Lightbulb Out posted:

Any of you going to be at Oshkosh this year?

Ill prolly go with my dad for his birthday treat, unfortunatly I wont be camping this year for the whole week tho cause my buddy whos a life member cant go :( . Camping there rules rediculous amounts.