Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PreMoo
Sep 23, 2010
Looking for any fun single player game.

I enjoy playing Dota 2, Fifa and Football Manager. I mostly play multiplayer games but I want to play some single player games .

I've tried a lot of games like Far Cry, Deus Ex, Tomb Raider and Skyrim but never got into them.

If anyone has some recommendations, even multiplayer games, that'd be swell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You might like the Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2 series.

They're real time strategy games focused on using small numbers of units ( each having special abilities.). There's no base building aspect to worry about ( and little resource management in singleplayer.)

Think of it like a DOTA with multiple heroes. There's even an MP mode where each player controls a single hero versus a horde of creeps.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Hi guys, I was just thinking about how much I enjoy Viva Pinata, and was hoping that someone could suggest me a game that is similar to Viva Pinata and Trouble in Paradise, but available for PC. Any thoughts?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PreMoo posted:

Looking for any fun single player game.

I enjoy playing Dota 2, Fifa and Football Manager. I mostly play multiplayer games but I want to play some single player games .

I've tried a lot of games like Far Cry, Deus Ex, Tomb Raider and Skyrim but never got into them.

If anyone has some recommendations, even multiplayer games, that'd be swell!

If first person isn't doing it for you, then try Torchlight II - a good third person action RPG with co-op.

If you're into sports management, try Bloodbowl. It's based on American football not real football, but it's got that Warhammer 'over the top' appeal.

PreMoo
Sep 23, 2010
Good call on those games, Mokinokaro and V for Vegas, I've played both WH 40K and TL2 and enjoyed it already!

I've looked at Bloodbowl before but wasn't sure. Next time it goes on sale I think i'll give it a go.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
Hiya, I'm looking for a game where you get to design your own ships/units/robots/whatever. Can be a sim, can be a strategy, anything is fine.

I'd like it to be at least as flexible in the design department as in the Galactic Civilizations. I already know about Kerbal.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Mecharasputin posted:

Hiya, I'm looking for a game where you get to design your own ships/units/robots/whatever. Can be a sim, can be a strategy, anything is fine.

I'd like it to be at least as flexible in the design department as in the Galactic Civilizations. I already know about Kerbal.

Have a look at Kinetic Void.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mecharasputin posted:

Warship Gunner 2. Come for the World War I era steamers, stay for the fusion powered laser dreadnaughts that make the Yamato look like a tug boat. You have complete control of the location of each individual piece of equipment.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

dis astranagant posted:

Warship Gunner 2. Come for the World War I era steamers, stay for the fusion powered laser dreadnaughts that make the Yamato look like a tug boat. You have complete control of the location of each individual piece of equipment.

How did I not know this game existed?

Also, I need to know what the absolute best 4X space game is. I've recently gotten back into Endless Space and it feels... lacking in depth and balance.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

SquadronROE posted:

Also, I need to know what the absolute best 4X space game is. I've recently gotten back into Endless Space and it feels... lacking in depth and balance.

Nothing compares to Master of Orion II and Galactic Civilizations II.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I finally upgraded my PC to a modern gaming rig, and now I want to play all those cool PC games that made my old machine grind to a halt.

I was able to get through Skyrim and New Vegas, but that was about it for me performance wise. I sort of drifted off into Minecraft and iOS games.

My question is, what cool neat graphic intensive games have come out since Skyrim and New Vegas? I want to run something that will put my new PC though it's paces, and hopefully be enjoyable as well.

I like RPGs, Shooters, GTA-like games. Open world stuff is nice.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I finally upgraded my PC to a modern gaming rig, and now I want to play all those cool PC games that made my old machine grind to a halt.

I was able to get through Skyrim and New Vegas, but that was about it for me performance wise. I sort of drifted off into Minecraft and iOS games.

My question is, what cool neat graphic intensive games have come out since Skyrim and New Vegas? I want to run something that will put my new PC though it's paces, and hopefully be enjoyable as well.

I like RPGs, Shooters, GTA-like games. Open world stuff is nice.
Witcher 2 and Alan Wake.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Ooo, I forgot about Witcher 2. Good call.

What's Alan Wake?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Sleepy Dogs is a must. It's gorgeous and amazingly fun. Tomb Raider is super solid and can look pretty great.

Edit: also the STALKER and Metro series if you haven't tried them.

Edit 2: Also if you have any love or curiosity for console gaming, the PCSX2 and Dolphin emulators put your old libraries at your fingertips.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 16, 2013

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Seconding Tomb Raider, the game is gorgeous and really fun.

Far Cry 3 is good fun and pretty too. Bioshock Infinite, though probably not that demanding, is quite pretty and a must-buy just for the story and the experience anyway.

If you're into multiplayer, Planetside 2 is good fun and free to play to boot, so you can just create an account and give it a spin for free.
If you really want to make use of your new hardware, Arma 3 is one of the most demanding things out there, though it's still in beta and not quite optimized or complete yet.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

I'd say Distant Worlds with all the expansions, although it's drat expensive. DW is the one game that really presents a universe that's "alive". You only control the state ships (exploring, fighting, building, etc) while the private sector does it's own thing. You can actually automate every single facet of your empire through the AI and also turn off all automation and do everything if you're insane.

Thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439830

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
In looking for a single player RPG with MMO style classes and combat. Target locking, hotbar, cast orders, auto-attack, the works.

To be more specific, if it was legal I honestly wouldn't mind just doing something like running an emulated WoW server on my own PC and calling it a day but seeing as I really don't want to get into that, I was wondering if there were any other similar options.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Try Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. It was developed as a single player MMO that was meant to tie into a real MMO before they ran out of money.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

V for Vegas posted:

Try Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. It was developed as a single player MMO that was meant to tie into a real MMO before they ran out of money.

That games mechanics have basically nothing in common with MMO style combat. It's like a fantasy version of God of War.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

V for Vegas posted:

Similar to what SJ said, Kingdoms of Amalur is kinda like an MMO because there's a fighter/thief/mage class system and a big fantasy world to explore with all the tropes and everything looks straight out of WoW but the combat system is a bit too actiony for what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sexual Aluminum posted:

What's Alan Wake?
Rather late on this, but it's a third person shooter that's like a psychological thriller TV show. The combat sucks so play on Easy, but the atmosphere and story are quite nice and worth playing through for. You can get it for only 3 bucks right now.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
So, Stone Soup is scratching the dungeon crawling itch and I got Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil on a whim a bit after. Fell in love with it, but it's balls hard - any other bullet hell games around that are mildly less difficult so I can get my feet wet?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Accordion Man posted:

Rather late on this, but it's a third person shooter that's like a psychological thriller TV show. The combat sucks so play on Easy, but the atmosphere and story are quite nice and worth playing through for. You can get it for only 3 bucks right now.

I played it on Normal and never had a problem with combat, but it's definitely worth picking up for the ridiculous $3 on Steam right now.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Since I'm the very sort of gamer Spec Ops: The Line warned you about, I'm looking for FPSes either in the vein of 90s shooters (I've already got Hard Reset, Painkiller: Black Edition, and the Serious Sam collection), or one with RPG mechanics (I've got both Deus Ex 1 and Human Revolution, as well as both Fallouts and Borderlands). Violence is a plus.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

JackMackerel posted:

Since I'm the very sort of gamer Spec Ops: The Line warned you about, I'm looking for FPSes either in the vein of 90s shooters (I've already got Hard Reset, Painkiller: Black Edition, and the Serious Sam collection), or one with RPG mechanics (I've got both Deus Ex 1 and Human Revolution, as well as both Fallouts and Borderlands). Violence is a plus.

System Shock 2 is 75% off in Steam right now! If you liked Deus Ex 1, you'll probably enjoy it.

The Bioshock games would also be a pretty obvious choice.

Finally, EYE: Divine Cybermancy is actually both a 90s sort of shooter and has RPG mechanics. It's a weird game, but I think you might like it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Mecharasputin posted:

Paradox' recent offering of Leviathan might float your boat.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp

Osmosisch posted:

Paradox' recent offering of Leviathan might float your boat.

Oh god the trailer is beautiful :allears:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

JackMackerel posted:

You might want to keep an eye on the Rise of the Triad remake coming out in the next couple weeks. Gameplay videos make it look like a love letter to 90s shooters.

And the goon looking for games with insane customisation might like StarDrive where all of your ships are designed in a tile based system. Unfortunately it's only functional, not cosmetic.

Sword of the Stars 1 might also scratch the customization itch. It's a 4x where ships are made from 3 changeable base modules but you can also change the weapons equipped on each hardpoint.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 17, 2013

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
A TPS with a good story and preferably some RPG elements. Already have the ME series so don't recommend that :v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

monster on a stick posted:

A TPS with a good story and preferably some RPG elements. Already have the ME series so don't recommend that :v:

Binary Domain's got some light rpg elements but really fun gunplay. It also regularly goes dirt cheap on sale.

It's 13$ on Steam currently. Don't let the 68 metascore deter you as most of the game's issues were ironed out in patches and the main criticism against it is that it isn't Gears of War.

EDIT: \/ Oh yes. Just be warned you're playing AP for the story as the gameplay is a bit janky.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 17, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Get Alpha Protocol ASAP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Accordion Man posted:

Get Alpha Protocol ASAP.

Specifically, get the PS3 or PC versions. From what I gather, the Xbox360 version is the buggiest.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Specifically, get the PS3 or PC versions. From what I gather, the Xbox360 version is the buggiest.

PS3 version can sometimes be pretty buggy too. He should get the PC if he can run it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Already have Alpha Protocol and Binary Domain too, forgot about those :v: Great games. The boss fights in Binary Domain in particular were incredible.

"That's a Spider, it's used for defending bases. We think it was taken off coastal defense just for you. :smug:"

Also have Red Dead Redemption which is kind of like this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Already have Alpha Protocol and Binary Domain too, forgot about those :v: Great games. The boss fights in Binary Domain in particular were incredible.

"That's a Spider, it's used for defending bases. We think it was taken off coastal defense just for you. :smug:"

Also have Red Dead Redemption which is kind of like this.

Have you tried Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hitman: Blood Money?

The story's mostly told between missions but it's decent.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Hitman: Blood Money?

The story's mostly told between missions but it's decent.

Oh, that looks good. Thanks. How's the rest of the series?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Blood Money is easily the high point. The other games are good in their own ways but don't quite measure up to it.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Ashenai posted:

System Shock 2 is 75% off in Steam right now! If you liked Deus Ex 1, you'll probably enjoy it.

The Bioshock games would also be a pretty obvious choice.

Finally, EYE: Divine Cybermancy is actually both a 90s sort of shooter and has RPG mechanics. It's a weird game, but I think you might like it.

Oh, dang, I forgot to put them in. Currently playing System Shock 2 (gently caress that tooth platform in The Many) and finished the Bioshock series (Infinite included) and I racked up 100+ hours on EYE: Divine Cybermancy, as infuriating as it was, I kinda fell in love with it.

It's all good, though, I need to finish System Shock 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Blood Money is pretty light on story, but what is there is interesting enough. It's by far the best game in the series. Contracts isn't bad for the story, either. It gives you some insight from the character's past, and lets you play through several of the first game's missions, which is nice because that game isn't playable by today's standards.

Silent Assassin's gameplay is a little rough, and its story probably the worst. You won't miss anything special by not playing it. Absolution is really bad, but it's pretty story heavy at least.

Anyway, I second Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines. If you play a character focused on melee and disciplines (magic, pretty much), you can go through most of the game in third person. The story and dialogue are great, and they went as far as making the Malkavian bloodline have the entirety of its dialogue altered, with NPC responses to match, to the point where the entire game feels fresh if you just finished it with another bloodline.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 18, 2013