Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....
I am midway through med school - I'll need to run around a lot since I have a number of different internships to do. So I need to be mobile. But I also need my viddy games...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Frankie! posted:

I am midway through med school - I'll need to run around a lot since I have a number of different internships to do. So I need to be mobile. But I also need my viddy games...

Just to be a bit clearer, under most circumstances an SLI setup in a laptop will not actually run better/faster than a single dGPU, it's not just a bad idea financially, it's just a bad idea. For the same reason, it will also pretty much melt whatever you put it on.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

QuarkJets posted:

If you're willing to wait, try this site for watching for laptop deals. There's a constant stream of Ivy Bridge and Haswell laptops, many with discrete GPUs, passing through there each day.

If you just want to play indie games and TF2 then you don't need an NVidia GPU, you'll do great with Intel graphics. And you'll save some money (or you'll get better components for the same price). And your laptop will have better battery life, and it'll be lighter and thinner. There's an HP-Envy 15t-j000 with Haswell (i7-4700MQ) for $800 right now before coupons, and there's a bunch of HP coupons on techbargains right now. I don't know anything about the Envy builds though, they might suck for all I know.

Well I think I'd kind of prefer for the discrete GPU just in case for some reason I'd like to attempt a modern game for some reason.

Thanks for the tip about Tech Bargains, I looked at the ENVY and remembered I have a student discount with HP still somehow. So after coupons and the addition of a discrete GPU I get this:

code:
HP ENVY TouchSmart 15t-j000 Quad Edition Notebook PC

Windows 8 64
    4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory
    15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768)
    8GB DDR3 System Memory (1 Dimm)
    1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
    No Additional Office Software
    No additional security software
    6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
    No Internal DVD or CD Drive
    Standard Keyboard
    HP TrueVision HD Webcam w/ integrated digital mic
    802.11b/g/n WLAN
For about $830 shipped and taxed. Which is like a $100 or so more than Acer I was looking that was an Ivy Bridge (though it has a DVD drive and that price was before tax).

Worth it?

Evil Vin fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 18, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Frankie! posted:

Buy a $700 thinkpad and a $400 console + $100 worth of accessories/controllers + 200 worth of game(s)/stop store credit

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....

Hadlock posted:

Buy a $700 thinkpad and a $400 console + $100 worth of accessories/controllers + 200 worth of game(s)/stop store credit

That's great and all but I prefer PC games. Aren't there any other reasonable options between a 700$ work laptop and a 3000$ 'mobility' gaming platform?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are Lenovos known for being picky about memory? I have a T400 and I tried to stuff the old 2x2GB DDR3-8500 sticks from my 2010 MBP in it... no boot. Same with trying both sticks separately one at a time so it's not a slot issue. Are ram timing issues really a thing with current-ish hardware? Or should I just assume that both sticks are bad? The 1x2GB DDR3-8500 Samsung stick that came with the laptop works fine.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

Evil Vin posted:

Well I think I'd kind of prefer for the discrete GPU just in case for some reason I'd like to attempt a modern game for some reason.

Thanks for the tip about Tech Bargains, I looked at the ENVY and remembered I have a student discount with HP still somehow. So after coupons and the addition of a discrete GPU I get this:

code:

Windows 8 64
    15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768)
    1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
    Standard Keyboard
    802.11b/g/n WLAN
For about $830 shipped and taxed. Which is like a $100 or so more than Acer I was looking that was an Ivy Bridge (though it has a DVD drive and that price was before tax).

Worth it?

HPs are hit and miss and are more often than not junk. For specifics, that's a 15.6" laptop with 768p. That sucks. 14" is the absolute largest you ever want to go with that resolution. It's also got a really slow hard drive, and a GPU that's barely faster than the best Haswell IGP.

Frankie! posted:

That's great and all but I prefer PC games. Aren't there any other reasonable options between a 700$ work laptop and a 3000$ 'mobility' gaming platform?

Gaming laptops universally suck, some just suck less. Build quality, performance, actually portable. Pick 1.5, maybe two if you're lucky. Get a laptop and a desktop or you're going to be sacrificing something important somewhere else. Haswell laptops will be able to play most games at an acceptable (20+) FPS, but as soon as the new consoles launch, software development is going to sprint ahead and AAA games are going to run like poo poo, if at all. For instance, look at a game like BF4, developed for console and ported to PC: it should run just fine on most mid-range mobile GPUs. Crysis 3? It runs like dogshit on anything but the best.

Basically, you might as well get a desktop, but your laptop won't run anything new in a few months anyway.

BlackMK4 posted:

Are Lenovos known for being picky about memory? I have a T400 and I tried to stuff the old 2x2GB DDR3-8500 sticks from my 2010 MBP in it... no boot. Same with trying both sticks separately one at a time so it's not a slot issue. Are ram timing issues really a thing with current-ish hardware? Or should I just assume that both sticks are bad? The 1x2GB DDR3-8500 Samsung stick that came with the laptop works fine.

Pretty sure the T400 uses DDR2.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BlackMK4 posted:

Re-seat them. I stuck Mac upgrade kit DDR3 8500 in my T400 and T500 and they were both fine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bob Morales posted:

Re-seat them. I stuck Mac upgrade kit DDR3 8500 in my T400 and T500 and they were both fine.

Hmm, I'll try that. I didn't realized memory prices had gone up lately(?). Last time I bought some I think I paid like $30 for 2x4GB.

InstantInfidel posted:

Pretty sure the T400 uses DDR2.
DDR2 and DDR3 are keyed different, definitely not.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 18, 2013

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

InstantInfidel posted:

HPs are hit and miss and are more often than not junk. For specifics, that's a 15.6" laptop with 768p. That sucks. 14" is the absolute largest you ever want to go with that resolution. It's also got a really slow hard drive, and a GPU that's barely faster than the best Haswell IGP.

Good thing I rechecked the thread before I went crazy spending my money. What manufacturer would you recommend for my $500-$800 price range?

Like if I were to stick with HP and just edit some of the setting for an additional $30 I can get this:

Windows 8 64
15.6-inch diagonal Full HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1920x1080)
1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
24GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
Standard Keyboard
802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R)

Or I can drop the GPU for a "Intel HD Graphics 4600".

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I suggest looking into getting a cheaper laptop (ivy bridge) plus a small desktop. If you really do need to be able to play games on your laptop, the discrete NVidia GPU won't buy you much except a bigger price tag and a heavy energy hog laptop. Haswell integrated graphics are good enough for 99% of all games out there right now, the NVidia GPU will just take an extra year or so to become completely obsolete (so gently caress buying an NVidia GPU laptop, get a desktop for gaming, you'll spend less and be able to make upgrades later)

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Hmm, I'll try that. I didn't realized memory prices had gone up lately(?). Last time I bought some I think I paid like $30 for 2x4GB.

DDR2 and DDR3 are keyed different, definitely not.

Yeah, you're right. I googled it, and apparently there are some weird comparability issues with T400 memory upgrades. I couldn't actually find any rhyme or reason, just lots of people complaining about certain sticks working in one PC and not in their T400.

Evil Vin posted:

Good thing I rechecked the thread before I went crazy spending my money. What manufacturer would you recommend for my $500-$800 price range?

Like if I were to stick with HP and just edit some of the setting for an additional $30 I can get this:

Windows 8 64
1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
Standard Keyboard

That's not the worst you could do, but $700 is really not going to buy you anything remotely capable. $700 will, however, buy you a desktop that will trade blows with $1800 laptops. I'd consider a small form factor desktop and just hanging on to your netbook.

e;fb for googling

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

Evil Vin posted:

Windows 8 64
1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
Standard Keyboard

I had a last gen 15" Envy for about a week before I returned it. The trackpad was uneven and there was a large gap between it and the chasis. The hinges where already beginning to fray and come apart. I was pretty disappointed and ended up getting a refund. My brother bought a 15" 1080p Asus a couple years back with an nVidia 540M and even though its entirely plastic its built like a tank. He is really rough with his stuff and there's hardly a scratch on it to this day.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

InstantInfidel posted:

Yeah, you're right. I googled it, and apparently there are some weird comparability issues with T400 memory upgrades. I couldn't actually find any rhyme or reason, just lots of people complaining about certain sticks working in one PC and not in their T400.

That's not the worst you could do, but $700 is really not going to buy you anything remotely capable. $700 will, however, buy you a desktop that will trade blows with $1800 laptops. I'd consider a small form factor desktop and just hanging on to your netbook.

e;fb for googling

At the moment I'm really looking for something I can bring to work and mess around with during times when nothings going or bring over my girlfriends place. A desktop really wouldn't accomplish that. Though I'll look into the small form factor ones, since just quick googling makes that sound almost reasonable.

clonedrobojesus posted:

I had a last gen 15" Envy for about a week before I returned it. The trackpad was uneven and there was a large gap between it and the chasis. The hinges where already beginning to fray and come apart. I was pretty disappointed and ended up getting a refund. My brother bought a 15" 1080p Asus a couple years back with an nVidia 540M and even though its entirely plastic its built like a tank. He is really rough with his stuff and there's hardly a scratch on it to this day.

That's kind of scary I'll stay away from that then.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Evil Vin posted:

At the moment I'm really looking for something I can bring to work and mess around with during times when nothings going or bring over my girlfriends place. A desktop really wouldn't accomplish that. Though I'll look into the small form factor ones, since just quick googling makes that sound almost reasonable.

You probably don't want a discrete GPU, then

Urzza
Sep 8, 2007
Rippen off MTG since 2002
So, my boss is super low balling the laptop budget for our sales guys at 350$ per. I understand that I can\t get anything very good at all at that price, but I think I might be able to convince him to go with this. What do you guys think about it? All they need to do is get on the web for email and CRM stuff, and to type up word docs.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
A memory upgrade on my T400 worked fine. I think I used the Crucial configurator and bought it from their site.

Deschain
Nov 17, 2006

to the dark tower came
Alright, I read this thread and I totally understand that gaming laptops are lovely and overpriced compared to desktops, but I don't care about portability or battery life or power consumption or trackpad/keyboard at all. I have a specific case in that I spend roughly equal time at three different houses and want this laptop so I have a computer that I can transport between them, but it doesn't have to be easy, just a lot easier than a desktop.

So that having been said, what I really want is:
1) 15 inch or bigger with a
2) 240+ SSD (this is important to me and is what's making this difficult)
3) that runs any game without lag on the lowest settings (yes, lowest, I don't care about graphics as long as it runs smoothly)
4) without getting too hot (I'm weird about my laptop getting too hot even internally, it just really bothers me.)

Looking in the under $1300 price range. I'm currently looking at the Clevo W350ST but I've been reading that it has some issues with getting really hot too, and is honestly a bit overpowered for what I need it for; I think an i5 will be fine for running games smoothly on low settings for the next few years, although I am happy to go with a powerful machine if it runs cool. Does anyone have another suggestion? I am having real difficulties finding non-Apple laptops with SSDs.

PS: And, noob question, if I did end up going with Sager, would the W370ST generally run hotter than an equally configured W350ST because the 17.3 inch screen takes more processing power to render on than a 15.6, or would the W350ST run hotter because the smaller laptop has reduced airflow?

Deschain fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 18, 2013

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Edit: think of something useful to say

shrughes fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 18, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Deschain posted:

Alright, I read this thread and I totally understand that gaming laptops are lovely and overpriced compared to desktops, but I don't care about portability or battery life or power consumption or trackpad/keyboard at all. I have a specific case in that I spend roughly equal time at three different houses and want this laptop so I have a computer that I can transport between them, but it doesn't have to be easy, just a lot easier than a desktop.

So that having been said, what I really want is:
1) 15 inch or bigger with a
2) 240+ SSD (this is important to me and is what's making this difficult)
3) that runs any game without lag on the lowest settings (yes, lowest, I don't care about graphics as long as it runs smoothly)
4) without getting too hot (I'm weird about my laptop getting too hot even internally, it just really bothers me.)

Looking in the under $1300 price range. I'm currently looking at the Clevo W350ST but I've been reading that it has some issues with getting really hot too, and is honestly a bit overpowered for what I need it for; I think an i5 will be fine for running games smoothly on low settings for the next few years, although I am happy to go with a powerful machine if it runs cool. Does anyone have another suggestion? I am having real difficulties finding non-Apple laptops with SSDs.

PS: And, noob question, if I did end up going with Sager, would the W370ST generally run hotter than an equally configured W350ST because the 17.3 inch screen takes more processing power to render on than a 15.6, or would the W350ST run hotter because the smaller laptop has reduced airflow?

How low of a framerate can you handle before you say to yourself "boy this sure is laggy"? If this value is low enough, then you just need a high-end Haswell with integrated graphics; you'll be able to play anything currently out on minimum settings, and you'll run cool. If you need more graphical power, then you'll need a dedicated GPU and you'll run so hot that you'll be able to feel the heat coming off of your keyboard.

Beyond that, it's cheaper to just upgrade the hard drive yourself and reinstall the OEM operating system (which will also get rid of any bloatware that might have come with the laptop). 15" is a pretty standard and good size, if you want to game then try to avoid 768p screens, try to get something that's 1080p.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
When will I be able to buy a 13" Haswell laptop with a 1080p IPS screen? How about if I throw "convertible" in there too?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Magic Underwear posted:

When will I be able to buy a 13" Haswell laptop with a 1080p IPS screen? How about if I throw "convertible" in there too?

Today, today. 13" Vaio Pro, 13" Vaio Duo. Also the Clevo W230ST.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I have a question on behalf of my little brother. He wants something he can take to uni to access his lecture slides, and maybe take notes/work on some projects. He was originally planning to get an ipad, but I'm not sure that he'd be able to work properly without a keyboard. I showed him the Chromebooks at JB Hi Fi, and he's done a bit of googling tonight, and he seems generally interested. What we would like to know is whether he would be able to use a flashdrive to access the slides (as powerpoint or as pdf) offline, as his wireless access is sporadic at best.

Also, the Pixel doesn't seem to be available in Aus, so out of the Samsung and the Acer, which is better? I suggested the Samsung because of the 6.5hr battery life, and even as the more expensive Chromebook, it's still cheaper than an ipad.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Schmetterling posted:

I have a question on behalf of my little brother. He wants something he can take to uni to access his lecture slides, and maybe take notes/work on some projects. He was originally planning to get an ipad, but I'm not sure that he'd be able to work properly without a keyboard. I showed him the Chromebooks at JB Hi Fi, and he's done a bit of googling tonight, and he seems generally interested. What we would like to know is whether he would be able to use a flashdrive to access the slides (as powerpoint or as pdf) offline, as his wireless access is sporadic at best.

Also, the Pixel doesn't seem to be available in Aus, so out of the Samsung and the Acer, which is better? I suggested the Samsung because of the 6.5hr battery life, and even as the more expensive Chromebook, it's still cheaper than an ipad.
You can access files offline by using the internal storage or USB external storage, but I don't think it has a viewer for PowerPoint files. It should do PDFs, though. I have the Samsung Chromebook and I know someone with the Acer. The Samsung is better for general use, but the Acer does have a larger hard drive and faster processor. The guy here at work installed Ubuntu on his (Acer) and runs a Windows virtual machine inside of that, but he's a bigger sperg than I am. The Acer also has a glossy screen (yecch).

Deschain
Nov 17, 2006

to the dark tower came

QuarkJets posted:

How low of a framerate can you handle before you say to yourself "boy this sure is laggy"? If this value is low enough, then you just need a high-end Haswell with integrated graphics; you'll be able to play anything currently out on minimum settings, and you'll run cool. If you need more graphical power, then you'll need a dedicated GPU and you'll run so hot that you'll be able to feel the heat coming off of your keyboard.

Beyond that, it's cheaper to just upgrade the hard drive yourself and reinstall the OEM operating system (which will also get rid of any bloatware that might have come with the laptop). 15" is a pretty standard and good size, if you want to game then try to avoid 768p screens, try to get something that's 1080p.
I've never really tested, but pretty drat low. I guess I'm looking for 15+. I'm not bothered at all by a really low framerate caused by low settings, it only bothers me if it's caused by throttling from overheating. Are you meaning that I can run games without a dedicated GPU if I don't care about them looking nice? I never really thought of that, I always just assumed I needed a graphics card if I wanted to run them at all. Interesting!

If what I just said is correct, let's say I was thinking about the Clevo W650SZ. If I had a 15.6'' with a 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor but my video was just this listed "4th Generation Intel® 4600 GMA HD Dynamic Video Memory Technology," (which I guess means integrated graphics?) I would be able to run WoW or, say, Darksiders II on low settings without input lag and without my computer heating up much, it would just look like poo poo?

Also, if that's correct, would there be any reason at all to opt for 16 GB of RAM over 8 for an extra $80 or would I never even reach using 8?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
You'll never touch 8, and that would run WoW and Darksiders no problem. Probably even on medium/high.

psychosockmonkee
Jan 31, 2010

I have to return some video tapes

Evil Vin posted:

Windows 8 64
1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
Standard Keyboard

I got this without the dGPU and with the backlit keyboard. I've only had it about a week, but so far I think it's perfect for me and the wife. Still getting used to Windows 8, not too bad with touch screen. She is all about work crap and web, while I've used it a bunch already for CIV 5 in the comfort of my bed. Like I said, I've only had for a week, but build quality seems decent and I've had zero touchpad (or other) issues. There is keyboard flex by wrists but it's also thin at that point and it doesn't bother me anyway. My only annoyance is they put the nvidia sticker on it with no nvidia card.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
So, if leaks are to be believed, Dell will be launching a 15.6" Precision workstation with a 3,200 x 1,800 display option: http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/18/dell-precision-m3800-workstation-leak/

What are the odds that this spurs Lenovo into including a similarly insane panel option for the W-series update?

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

If all you're wanting to run is WoW and Darksiders, you can get a much smaller and thinner laptop. I'm on my phone, but Has well ultrabooks come with a pretty big selection of ULV processors, some of which have the better graphics.

Edit: ^^^ right around zero, but that laptop looks awesome and there's no reason to prefer a ThinkPad over a Dell workstation.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
It would be so odd for an M3800 to not have a docking station port. So many of my Precision customers have their systems live in docking stations.

Magic Underwear posted:

If you're willing to go to a 12" screen, the Dell XPS 12 is an option.

I should be receiving my Haswell XPS 12 next week and will write up a report for you dudes.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Octopode posted:

So, if leaks are to be believed, Dell will be launching a 15.6" Precision workstation with a 3,200 x 1,800 display option: http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/18/dell-precision-m3800-workstation-leak/

What are the odds that this spurs Lenovo into including a similarly insane panel option for the W-series update?

Nice panel. But .7 inches thick with a real quad core? Going to throttle like a motherfucker. And for a "workstation" (and the price) that is simply unacceptable.

That said, if by some miraculous chance that it doesn't throttle I'll have VERY high hopes for the XPS 15 haswell update.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

Seamonster posted:

Nice panel. But .7 inches thick with a real quad core? Going to throttle like a motherfucker. And for a "workstation" (and the price) that is simply unacceptable.

That said, if by some miraculous chance that it doesn't throttle I'll have VERY high hopes for the XPS 15 haswell update.

The rMBP is .71" thick and has had very minor problems with Ivy Bridge quad cores. Professional-grade laptops are engineered and then overengineered for good measure, I would be shocked if this had thermal issues.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

InstantInfidel posted:

The rMBP is .71" thick and has had very minor problems with Ivy Bridge quad cores. Professional-grade laptops are engineered and then overengineered for good measure, I would be shocked if this had thermal issues.

Yeah it's doable so long as you don't mind a price tag in the $2ks. It's the cheap crappy ones that run into trouble. Cheap computers have come a long way, but you get what you pay for still applies much of the time.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

InstantInfidel posted:

Gaming laptops universally suck, some just suck less. Build quality, performance, actually portable. Pick 1.5, maybe two if you're lucky. Get a laptop and a desktop or you're going to be sacrificing something important somewhere else. Haswell laptops will be able to play most games at an acceptable (20+) FPS, but as soon as the new consoles launch, software development is going to sprint ahead and AAA games are going to run like poo poo, if at all. For instance, look at a game like BF4, developed for console and ported to PC: it should run just fine on most mid-range mobile GPUs. Crysis 3? It runs like dogshit on anything but the best.

Basically, you might as well get a desktop, but your laptop won't run anything new in a few months anyway.

Honestly not trying to be argumentative (because I'm sure plenty of people have 'gaming' laptops crap out on them quickly), but I have a now 2 year old Sager laptop that runs 95% of modern PC games at medium to high or better graphics settings at 30+ fps. My laptop was about $1800 in 2011, which would fit his 'something between a $700 and $3000 laptop' criteria. I didn't buy my laptop as a desktop replacement as I still have both, but two years later I still do most of my gaming on my laptop. I guess my point is that not every 'gaming' or 'performance' laptop is a horrible, laughable investment that no one should ever consider.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm so confused. Pricing out my Thinkpad t430 it says that it's $80 to upgrade to 8gb of RAM. I go onto New Egg and its $75 for 8gb of Crucial RAM. Is the RAM I'm getting from Lenovo not as good as Crucial RAM because I don't see the big price difference of $5 installing it myself.

Also looking into a 128 GB SSD to install to my mSATA drive. I need to purchase a caddy as well for installation? Like this: http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_7&products_id=392

Looking into this for a mSATA drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148612

Why is this way cheaper than a 2.5 SSD?

GZA Genius fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 18, 2013

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

GZA Genius posted:

I'm so confused. Pricing out my Thinkpad t430 it says that it's $80 to upgrade to 8gb of RAM. I go onto New Egg and its $75 for 8gb of Crucial RAM. Is the RAM I'm getting from Lenovo not as good as Crucial RAM because I don't see the big price difference of $5 installing it myself.

You are paying $80 for an extra 4gb, a total of 8gb. If you were to buy that 8gb stick from newegg and install it yourself you would have 12gbs total.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If there are only 2 dimm slots though wouldn't it just be better to replace the stock 4gb with 2x4gb sticks from the same manufacturer? So the $80 sticker is a moot point?

LurkingAsian
Jul 27, 2007
Shhhh.......

Creative Bicycle posted:

Honestly not trying to be argumentative (because I'm sure plenty of people have 'gaming' laptops crap out on them quickly), but I have a now 2 year old Sager laptop that runs 95% of modern PC games at medium to high or better graphics settings at 30+ fps. My laptop was about $1800 in 2011, which would fit his 'something between a $700 and $3000 laptop' criteria. I didn't buy my laptop as a desktop replacement as I still have both, but two years later I still do most of my gaming on my laptop. I guess my point is that not every 'gaming' or 'performance' laptop is a horrible, laughable investment that no one should ever consider.

Exactly, if you need the portability and don't mind the extra cost gaming laptops are reasonable choices. Granted the $3000 alienware monstrosities are rarely a good choice, but decent laptops with good gpus exist and can be had for reasonable prices.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

GZA Genius posted:

If there are only 2 dimm slots though wouldn't it just be better to replace the stock 4gb with 2x4gb sticks from the same manufacturer? So the $80 sticker is a moot point?

You're comparing buying 4 GB from Lenovo for $80 and buying 8 GB from Newegg for $75. That is the price difference in buying from OEM vs doing it yourself that you said you didn't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

GZA Genius posted:

If you actually have one 4GB dimm in your T400 right now, you should buy one 4GB dimm of Crucial RAM (or some other manufacturer) and then have 2x4 GB. You might have 2 x 2GB right now, though.

e: also if Dell is selling a 0.7" Precision, I guess it'll only have 2 RAM slots. In which case.. it's not really a workstation :smug:

shrughes fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 18, 2013