Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Oi, the new patch also broke my resolution again, and this time editing the config file doesn't work... sigh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yup got a chance to play this finally. My biggest foe right now is visibility and controls. The fog and map edge barrier are really annoying about covering up things you want to be able to see. Likewise I'd rather the unit icons never disappear even when zooming in, it's kind of jarring to see icons suddenly disappear because a unit moved closer to the camera.

Edit: Moving this part to a new post.

Game seems kind of cool so far though, gonna need to sink a LOT of time into it before I can get any sort of feel on it though.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 11, 2013

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Phlegmish posted:

It's all good as long as you don't forget your promise (:v:) to co-op D:OS with Bacter.

I don't think we are remembering this in the same way!

Raze_Larian
Mar 31, 2013

Larian Studios

Ainsley McTree posted:

Do these beta keys give you access to anything that you wouldn't have access to if you pre-ordered the game on steam?

No. The public beta keys from any source (giveaway, kickstarter, pre-orders) are all the same.

lethial posted:

Oi, the new patch also broke my resolution again, and this time editing the config file doesn't work... sigh...

So your edit is just ignored?

Delete / rename the graphicsettings.lsx file to get the game to recreate it the next time it is started.

Maybe temporarily lower your desktop resolution before restarting the game, and see if that makes it easier for it to auto-detect proper settings, and provide a resolution you can use/change (though I don't know if it takes the desktop resolution into account when checking system specs).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Played a little more and have a few more thoughts. Had the camera issue backwards in my last post. It's the WASD controls that work differently depending on if you have the middle mouse button down or not. Normally WASD just pans around, but if you are holding MMB, it behaves like a free camera so W/S can zoom in/out, which is really weird. I'd rather have WASD behave the same, or at least have the option for it to work like that. And on the subject of panning, it is really too slow for how much you need to pan around at times, what might be a good solution is that since Spacebar is the jetpack in Dragon Mode (and does nothing in command mode), they could make Spacebar make your pan speed faster while you hold it.

Some other notes on the controls, it seems like the default key layout for the Dragon Skills is kinda iffy, since it's pretty hard to hit 6/7/8/9 in the middle of everything. I'll probably end up using Z/X/C/V instead for those keys myself, seems like a good idea seeing as those keys don't do anything in dragon mode anyway. Actually on that note, it bothers me that the E key does not seem to be used at all, that's just weird. Maybe the button to switch to dragon mode could be moved to E from R.

I feel like the unit selection tools could be a bit better too. I love the double-click to select all units of a type thing, but is there a way to do a 'localized' version of that? Meaning, I just want to select all of that unit type in the area I'm working with currently, or maybe only the ones that are on screen. Or maybe instead, could I box select a group and then filter it to a specific unit type somehow? I'm not asking for AI Wars levels of unit selecting power, but I feel like it's a little hard to get exactly what I want in how chaotic the game already is.

Figured out that you can double tap ` to lock the game to always show unit icons. The problem is, I want the game to always show unit icons AND show the units. Hope this will be possible later on, or at least some other solution to the jarring step between icon and 3d unit model.

Last thing while I'm thinking about it, I've got a weird ground texture issue. http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/884113422030801744/40F48EEF43004138CDCC80A93FF09E9E691F2FAA/
Right in the center of the screen. Looks like it might be a Moire pattern issue of some sort? Anyone else have this issue?

Oh yeah, is there a list describing what the Dragons' skills do? Most are pretty obvious but others not so much.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 11, 2013

Raze_Larian
Mar 31, 2013

Larian Studios

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Right in the center of the screen. Looks like it might be a Moire pattern issue of some sort? Anyone else have this issue?

Oh yeah, is there a list describing what the Dragons' skills do? Most are pretty obvious but others not so much.

Could you be more specific on the texture issue? Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see a problem...

There is a list of dragon skills starting on page 29 in the manual (in the folder ..\steamapps\common\dragon commander\data).

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Raze_Larian posted:

No. The public beta keys from any source (giveaway, kickstarter, pre-orders) are all the same.

So your edit is just ignored?

Delete / rename the graphicsettings.lsx file to get the game to recreate it the next time it is started.

Maybe temporarily lower your desktop resolution before restarting the game, and see if that makes it easier for it to auto-detect proper settings, and provide a resolution you can use/change (though I don't know if it takes the desktop resolution into account when checking system specs).

Thanks much Raze. I managed to get things working by changing the display mode from full screen to windowed (btw, is it intended that the window mode adjust the resolution of the game to account for the windows title bar?), and finally to "fake fullwindowed" mode.

I still cannot select resolution from within the game though. :( I have submitted reports about it I hope Larian is at least aware of the issue.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Raze_Larian posted:

Could you be more specific on the texture issue? Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see a problem...

There is a list of dragon skills starting on page 29 in the manual (in the folder ..\steamapps\common\dragon commander\data).

Look right in the middle of the image, on the ground in front of where the starting base is. The ground looks like it has a canvas-like texture, almost like it's denim. You can see this all over the image if you look close enough, including the tops of the build spots. The effect disappears if you get too close or too far from the ground. I took that screenshot on Ultra settings, but the effect sort of goes away on Very Low, and is even more noticeable on Medium:
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/884113422037151120/31E4ECFEBA40DDEE40A20755A6813AFA3976A02B/

With a little testing I found it appears like it's a bug related to Shadow Quality. But on top of that, the effect didn't seem to happen (or at least I couldn't manage to see it) when the time of day was Dusk either. So definitely a lighting/shadow bug of some sort.

Also, there is no manual in that folder, or in any other folder, for me.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 11, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

:siren: Octaaf vs. Lorean rematch starting right now. :siren: Link here.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Does getting a beta key give you the game full stop, or is it just available till the beta ends? Considering the fun I had with Divine Divinity and the info posted so far this seems like one of those rare games I actually want to pay full price for.

Crazy, I know.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

King Doom posted:

Does getting a beta key give you the game full stop, or is it just available till the beta ends? Considering the fun I had with Divine Divinity and the info posted so far this seems like one of those rare games I actually want to pay full price for.

Crazy, I know.

The beta from something like the key giveaway is just the beta, which is a separate entity on Steam from the final release of the game.

Right now, the best deals for buying it seem to be the Larian Vault (which gives you a DRM-free copy, a Steam copy, and the beta) or GOG.com (which gives you a DRM-free copy, and a copy of Divine Divinity and Master of Magic). Though if you've got Steam and Divinity 2, you get a Steam copy and the beta for $36 instead of $40.

Raze_Larian
Mar 31, 2013

Larian Studios

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Look right in the middle of the image, on the ground in front of where the starting base is.

Thank you. That effect is much more noticeable in the new screenshot, and I was a little blind last night (now that I know what to look for I can see it in the first one, as well, though it is very subtle).

There was a pdf in the '..\dragon commander\data' folder, but it is no longer there in the latest beta version. It may have been removed while they update it.

There should hopefully be a beta update tomorrow, which may or may not restore the manual. In the meantime, I made a copy from an early beta (to read on a different computer); here is a temporary download link (8.4MB).

Also, there is a Divinity Dragon Commander Wiki.

Raze_Larian fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 12, 2013

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

So people have mentioned that the maps have day/night variants or whatever, but I'm not seeing any of that in my game. Is there a way to set that, or is it not in the beta yet?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It seems to just be random for me, when doing Skirmish maps. It'll probably be in the advanced options panel whenever they put that in.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Octaff versus Lorean - Rematch.

That was a great rematch, really interesting. A lot of back and forth, but it looked like Lorean was hitting his stride again towards the end. Too bad the game desynched on the island map. Some more details from the Q&A at the end of the second twitch stream.

• Will there be a map editor for the campaign mode? Perhaps, but the one they’re currently using is “the most horrible tool they’ve ever created,” and not really suitable for the public.
  • Jetpacks are no upgradeable, and that’s not planned at this time. If the game is a success and there are many updates, who knows?
  • The co-op mode where one player controls the RTS mode and the other the Dragon is fun to play, they hope to get it in the game, but it might not be ready for release.
  • They have no idea when Single-player will be added to the beta (so stop asking, sheesh).
  • A pure Dragon versus Dragon mode (no troops) is not planned. You’ll have to do a gentleman’s agreement with your opponent.
  • Your generals will get upgraded as you progress through the single-player mode, based on the choices you make.
  • You will have a full game on the 6th of August.
  • Yes, it's annoying not being able to see what RTS map a country is on the Strategy map, and they will be changing that so you can tell before engaging in battle.
  • AI Dragons? The guy they need to talk to about that is currently ttying to figure out why the game is desynchronizing. As long as that’s happening, there won’t be AI Dragons, but he does want them to be in the game eventually.
  • They’re deliberately keeping quiet on Original Sin because they’re focusing on Dragon Commander at this time. Plus, they’re holding things back so that they’ll have new things to show the media when they really need more attention, closer to release.

EDIT: New patch dropped:

quote:

Hi everybody,

We think that stability should now be a lot better. At least, it is in the office. Please let us know if you have any problems.

Also, we are changing the lobby system, so we are aware there are still issues there. ETA for the new lobby is friday.

Changelist 1.0.128.9727:

- Fixed stability problems in lobby screen
- AI will behave more intelligent in island maps
- Added flee behavior to units
- Fixed stability problems in card UI
- Added defensive behavior to AI
- Optimized AI performace
- Desync fix concerning battle result
- Added more tooltips to combat UI
- Fixed serious memory leak in effects
- Fixed animation issue for polymorphed units
- Correct cooldown for zeppelin cloak
- Try-out new dragon balance (it's a TRYOUT, let us know your thoughts :) )

Have fun!

The multiplayer campaign dragons are different, they start out with a couple different abilities pre-researched, and each gets one unit already researched. They probably have different health as well, but I haven't checked them all.

Dragon adjustments, as far as I can tell. I have not fully tested or quantified the overheat or damage, so some of this is rough.

Mountain Dragon (Combat Dragon)
  • Health: 1520
  • Damage: High
  • Overheat: Rapid
  • Passive Skill: N/A
  • Active Skill: Acid Blaze (Your fireballs become acid and do damage over time)
  • Bonus Researched Unit: Hunter

Zephyr Dragon (Support Dragon)
  • Health: 2520
  • Damage: Low
  • Overheat: Slow
  • Passive Skill: N/A
  • Active Skill: Purifying Flames (Your fireballs are infused with healing power, overheat is removed.)
  • Active Skill: Inspire (Boost a single unit's attack and movement speed)
  • Active Skill: Friends with Benefits (Shields a friendly unit, any damage that shield absorbs heals you.)
  • Bonus Researched Unit: Shaman

Sabre Dragon (Generalist Dragon)
  • Health: 2020
  • Damage: (presumed Moderate)
  • Overheat: (presumed Moderate)
  • Passive Skill: Soar (Increases movement speed of the Dragon)
  • Active Skill: Sabotage (Prevents a unit or building from using their abilities.)
  • Bonus Researched Unit: Warlock

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 16, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

[*]The co-op mode where one player controls the RTS mode and the other the Dragon is fun to play, they hope to get it in the game, but it might not be ready for release.

That's awesome, that was something I was talking about that could be a fun little bonus mode for the game.

On that note, I keep thinking there should be a mode, for skirmishes, where your dragon starts at level 1 and can level up and gain new skills by killing enemies, ala a MOBA or whatever. I wonder if they ever played with or thought about something like that?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That's awesome, that was something I was talking about that could be a fun little bonus mode for the game.

On that note, I keep thinking there should be a mode, for skirmishes, where your dragon starts at level 1 and can level up and gain new skills by killing enemies, ala a MOBA or whatever. I wonder if they ever played with or thought about something like that?

That would be a game more along the lines of Dragon Legionnaire, no? :D

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Are people interested in me posting the beta patch changelogs here, or is it just clutter/a waste of time?

-The big thing about this patch is that you can do a lot more in Dragon form now: Yo ucan make control groups and build units, which you could not do before.
-Warlock and Shaman cast range is doubled
-Warlock's cloak is back to a self-target
-Anti-air turrets can detect invisible units
-The AI now has names that are not AI_1 and such.
-Saved games are enabled for multiplayer campaigns (finally!)
-build times are slightly increased
- The Campaign world map now has a unit limit. Your unit limit is the total population of all your countries divided by 100, so if you have 1 country of 5000 people, your unit limit is 50. If you have a country of 5000, another of 1300 and a third of 2200, your unit limit is 85. I haven't fully explored this, but all Tier 1 units count as 1 unit, I think higher tier units will probably count as more.

quote:

Hiya!

Here's a changelist for version 1.0.133.9727.

- Added a lot more control options when in dragon mode:
create control groups like you're used to (CTRL+number to assign)
then call your control groups with ALT+number
you can then build units (when building selected) or cast skills and direct units (use their shortcuts, shortcut to move is Q)
- Fixed transports AI in RTS
- Fixed strategy AI
- Fixed sorting in unitshop
- Fixed lobby crash during refresh
- Fixed issues players not correctly leaving lobbies, resulting in lobbies which always fail NAT punchthroughs \o/
- Updated soundbanks
- Added autodetect for texture quality settings
- Memory optimization for terrain texture system
- Fixed mines not finding any targets
- Clear lines when exiting RTS mode
- Added audio slider for unit reactions
- Anti air turrets have reveal skill now
- Memory layout optimizations to reduce fragmentation
- Warlock only cloaks self now
- Added manual decloak button to warlock
- Tank unload is instant now
- Enabled savegames when playing against AI
- Added dynamic gamespeed when playing against AI: in RTS, you can increase/decrease this with +/- or in menu
- AI's show correct names now
- Added country tooltip on sea tiles
- Improved shaman flee behaviour
- Show dragon spawn timer in UI
- Warlock & Shaman cast range doubled
- Devastator Besiege increased AoE
- Warlock Cloak to Tier 1
- Warlock Polymorph to tier 2
- Dragon Haste to tier 1
- Performance optimizations
- Stability fixes

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 18, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Nah, it's fine. It keeps the thread popping up every now and again, which is always good. Thanks.

I wish since the turrets still detect invisible units there'd be some sort of small damage reduction when they hit the invisible targets. Unless that's already the case? Otherwise what's the point of invisibility?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It helps. I don't play too often, but I still like seeing what's new/changed.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
I appreciate seeing the patch notes. They're interesting and remind me of how hyped I am for the game to launch.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Your updates help for sure! Though I'd love to have more indepth guide on how to get going with the game. I keep on getting destroyed by AI... :P

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

lethial posted:

Your updates help for sure! Though I'd love to have more indepth guide on how to get going with the game. I keep on getting destroyed by AI... :P

From that professional clickfest worthy of a starcraft game that the devs did earlier, it just seems the best way to set yourself up is to use those fast travel units to convert as many bases as possible initially as you can.

After that it's anybody's guess. :iiam:
I'm having a hard time too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I like seeing the patch notes too, it keeps me abreast of progress.

How do you form new control groups in Dragon Mode, exactly? Can you select units somehow?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Thanks, everyone. Just found a new change:

- The Campaign world map now has a unit limit. Your unit limit is the total population of all your countries divided by 100, so if you have 1 country of 5000 people, your unit limit is 50. If you have a country of 5000, another of 1300 and a third of 2200, your unit limit is 85. I haven't fully explored this, but it seems that all units count as 1 unit, but I have not gotten to research many T2,3,4 units yet.

I haven't played much with the new patch (133), but being able to use control groups and build with the Dragon is HUGE. You can group all your units and buildings together into their own control groups, tab to switch between them, and give orders for the specific type of unit. Even if you lump all your units into one group, you can give each group different orders and send them to attack different targets. It makes a world of difference. I didn't really use control groups before, for some reason, but now I definitely will.

The cast range for Shamans and Warlocks is gigantic. They can be well, well, outside of the range of the front-line fighting and still buff or annoy the enemy units. Even the debuff for Warlocks to take their cloak back to personal-only isn't so bad with yesterday's huge buff to cloak time. Warlocks can cover a huge distance completely invisible, making them a potentially nasty strike team if you buy their Rain of Fire skill.

Yesterday's patch (130)

Here are some changes from yesterday's patch, I didn't post the notes for that one, but there are some important things to note

-The Dragon button on the lower HUD displays the time left until you can summon your Dragon.
-Build times slightly increased for some units
-Build times for recruitment centers increased from 30 to 37 seconds
-Research Costs for Tier 3 units/upgrades increased from 15 Research Points (RP) to 20 RP.
-Research Costs for Tier 4 units/upgrades increased from 20 RP to 40 RP.
-The duration of the Cloak has been increased to 2 or 3 minutes.

Yesderday's patch notes:

Octaaf posted:

Changelist version 1.0.130.9727
Version 1.0.130.9727

- Updated lobby list to show active lobbies again

Unit Balance changes:
- Anti-Air Turret: Damage increased from 430 to 480 (skirmish)
- Trooper: Spoils of War - reduced to 1 second cast time
- Armour: Short Sharp Shock - damage slightly increased from 195 to 205
- Devastator: damage slightly increased from 285 to 295
- Fighter: Ground attack projectile speed doubled
- Bomber Balloon: Range slightly decreased from 655 to 600
- Zeppelin: Slight HP increase from 2580 to 2680
- Zeppelin: Fly My Flaming Pretties - damage slightly increased from 220 to 245
- Zeppelin: Mustard Gas - damage & cooldown highly increased from 62 damage/second to 186 dam/sec, cooldown increased from 30 to 50 seconds
- Zeppelin: Mass Cloak - duration & cooldown highly increased
- Shaman: Protect - duration increased
- Shaman: Charm - duration & cooldown increased
- Transport: For the Empire! - Damage increased
- Transport: Cloak - cooldown & duration highly increased
- Cruiser: Made less powerful against naval but stronger Anti-Air
- Cruiser: Recruit cost slightly increased
- Warlock: Meet the Beetles: duration & cooldown increased
- Cloak: cooldown & duration highly increased

Re-balancing of Dragons:

Mountain Dragon has higher damage output, increased flight speed but lower HP and armour
Lizard Zephyr Dragon has high HP, high armour, goes slower on attack cooldown, has a longer dash but has lower damage and slower flightspeed
Sabre Dragon is a jack of all trades

Each dragon starts with specific unlocks, with the Lizard Dragon gaining one more unlock due to a more supportive-focused role

- Charm: Duration & cooldown increased
- Ray of Power: Buff output & duration increased
- Aegis: Buff output & duration increased
- Inspire: Duration increased, cooldown decreased
- All Dragon Roars that buff have their cooldown increased
- Tier 3 & Tier 4 research skills have had their cost increased

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Another patch will drop later today. It's updating so fast that it's getting to the point where it's not really worthwhile for me to go into skirmish mode and individually check each and every unit for changes.

In the meantime, some actual news:

A beta preview of Total Biscuit. This build is already outdated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQqs0Vr0eUs

And an article from PCGMedia (who seem to like Larian a lot): Why Dragon Commander Isn’t All About Blobs – All the Units, Skills, and Abilities. (Don't let the facebook connection pop-up thing deter you, just close it and it will go away.)

Larian Facebook posted:

Michael from PCGMedia weighs in on the macro/micro debate surrounding Dragon Commander in this new article. His motivation seems to be Total Biscuit saying that he'd like Dragon Commander to be more micro (which tbh is but a matter of changing values in an excel file for us)

On this subject, Octaaf, our lead QA, managed to summarise the general Larian view in but a few phrases so we'll quote him here:

>>
- he(TB) only played press (chapter 1 levels have low amount of paths to enemy base)
-Chapter 1 serves as a "tutorial" experience and should not be that hard
- he only had 5 types of units and no skills researched
- we're already changing skills to be more powerful and easier to use
- we're already giving the option to build stuff in dragon mode

I think his remarks are valid, but he didn't play it enough nor did he play the right version (ed: referring to the fact that those changes are being tried out first in the beta and TB had a different press-only version) <<

If you're wondering why we're so sensitive to the matter btw, it's because we're trying to make a new experience. The balancing of previous games doesn't necessarily apply to Dragon Commander, and it's a very delicate balance between finding something new that is easy to learn hard to master and something that is too easy to learn or too hard to master - read, it's not something you can figure out in just a few hours of play.

The only way to get this right is by observing large groups of players play, and adjust to their playing style.

So please continue to let us know your thoughts as you play the beta, as conflicting as they sometimes are ;) That way we can converge to the right mix which pleases the majority of you, and makes this a really kick rear end game. In the end we're making it so you have fun, and any feedback you give us, improves the quality of that fun.

For the record though, blob play will get you killed if you play against harder AI's or other humans :) But it will work if you play against easier AI's or low level players. Pretty much the same goes for most RTS' we think.

PCG Media RPG Elements preview

Penny Arcade Report beta preview: I came for the jetpack dragons, but stayed for the political intrigue

Destructoid beta preview: A day in the life of a jetpack-wearing dragon monarch

I haven't really been using control groups myself, but that is my own fault - I've been playing the beta a long time (104 hours so far - my 5th most played game on Steam), and I think I got used to the earlier versions where you had to move fast fast fast and units abilities didn't matter much. I should slow down and take the time at the start of matches to form well-balanced control groups, instead of succumbing to the temptation to move units as a blob.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 18, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I haven't been at it in a while, but one of the things that HAD turned me off about the gameplay was the sheer amount of zerg rush and key tapping that seemed to be the key to winning. From what I am hearing, it's slowly pulling away from that into more manageable pieces (allowing, of course, the option to still micro the poo poo out of things if that's your wont).

Which is fantastic. I haven't been able to play the beta for a while now, but reading all these slight changes I am even more looking forward to playing the thing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, it seems that they're really taking all of the feedback to heart and implementing changes at breakneck speed. I'm still more stoked for D:OS, for the simple reason that I'm an RPG fan, but it looks like DC is going to be a very polished and entertaining game at launch. Compare this to developers like Paradox, who routinely release half-broken games.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Drifter posted:

I haven't been at it in a while, but one of the things that HAD turned me off about the gameplay was the sheer amount of zerg rush and key tapping that seemed to be the key to winning. From what I am hearing, it's slowly pulling away from that into more manageable pieces (allowing, of course, the option to still micro the poo poo out of things if that's your wont).

Which is fantastic. I haven't been able to play the beta for a while now, but reading all these slight changes I am even more looking forward to playing the thing.

It's definitely better now, in large part thanks to the longer durations for skills. The Warlock's self-only cloak was pretty useless at the start, because it didn't last long enough for the slow-moving Warlock to go anywhere helpful on attack or retreat. Now, with it being able to cross water, and the duration up to 2 minutes, AND the giant casting range of 2600 (same as a Devastator, I tested) ... that cloak can make the Warlock a not-too bad unit at sneak attacking enemy bases, if you spend the points on the Death From Above skill. The Warlock's range means that it can surprisingly counter Devastators if you use them right.

Swen Vincke posted:

A small but very significant update
Hello everybody,

It doesn't crash or desynch in the office anymore, so if you get one of those nasty bugs, do let us know! We are aware of a couple of AI performance issues on the host, and are working on them.

Changelist 1.0.137.9727:

- UI tooltip crash fix
- Added filters to lobby
- A lot of stability fixes in the lobby
- Fixed problem where internet lobbies were visible in LAN tab
- Desync fix when loading a savegame
- Key hints are shown during loadingscreens
- Crash fix during shutdown of AI
- Removed unused levels from level list again
- Fix crash when AI is targetting units outside of AI grid
- Strategy AI more aggressive
- Added tutorial videos to main menu
- Priests heal ally units again

Have fun!

Also of note from the few minutes I poked at it:

- Troopers Damage decreased from 90 to 85
- Troopers Range increased from 625 to 645
- Grenadiers Range increased from 715 to 720
- Hunters Damage decreased from 52 to 41
- Armours Damage increased from 245 to 265
- Armours armor increased from 16 to 32
- Devastator's Damage increased from 295 to 318
- Devastator's armor increased from 12 to 28
- Bomber Balloon's Health decreased from 4120 to 3920
- Grenadier's "Chemical Warfare" is now a "stance", not a targeted ability. That means you hit the button and their next shot is automatically one of those.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 19, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
God drat. They better implement a good story-based optional tutorial in the beginning or I am going to be so loving dazed and confused.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Drifter posted:

God drat. They better implement a good story-based optional tutorial in the beginning or I am going to be so loving dazed and confused.

This post prompted me to suggest such a thing on the Larian forums. Swen said THAT post inspired him to decide to add little movies demonstrating what all the unit's skills do on the research menus.

So I hope that helps.

Anyway, a new patch has dropped. Comments on the forums were leaning towards making the Strategy Map units count for a lot more, so they're trying that in this patch. Campaign Recruit costs are now a lot more expensive, but you tend to get more units for that expense.

quote:

We've made quite some changes on the balancing as we are trying something out. Goldcost on Strategymap has been upped. Recruitment costs in Combat have changed across the board to reflect this.

Conversion from strategy to combat is as follows:
- all ground troops are 1 -> 3
- fighter and bomber are 1 -> 2
- ironclads and juggernaut are 1 -> 2
- zeppelin and transport are 1 -> 1

Balancing of unit vs unit has also changed a lot. hard counters to units are now more aparant. (example: Armour vs hunter, hunter vs tier 1 units, Devastator vs tier 1 units).

Beta patch 1.0.142.9727:
- major balancing changes due to tryout
- stability improvements
- connection fixes

In case it’s unclear, what this means is that all ground units from Troopers to Devastators go from 1 on the strategy map to 3 on the RTS map. With two exceptions, all Air and Naval units go from 1 on the strategy map to 2 on the RTS map. The exceptions are the Zeppelin and Transport, which remain as 1:1.

- Trooper Armor reduced from 2 to 1
- Grenadier Armor increased from 3 to 6
- Warlock Recruit cost increased from 6 to 7
- Devastator Recruit Cost decreased from 35 to 18
- Hunter Range increased from 800 to 825
- Imp Fighter Range increased from 850 to 875
- Imp Fighter Recruit Cost increased from 12 to 14
- Bomber Balloon Recruit Cost decreased from 24 to 33
- Zeppelin Recruit Cost decreased from 14 to 12
- Transport Support Cost decreased from 10 to 0
- Ironclad Recruit cost decreased from 18 to 16
- Juggernaut Damage increased from 280 to 282

Campaign
- Trooper Gold Cost increased from 2 to 3
- Grenadier Gold Cost increased from 3 to 5
- Shaman Gold Cost increased from to 3 to 6
- Warlock Gold Cost increased from to 3 to 7
- Hunter Gold Cost increased from 4 to 9
- Armour Gold Cost increased from 5 to 14
- Devastator Gold Cost increased from 14 to 18
- Imp Fighter Gold Cost increased from 12 to 14
- Bomber Balloon Gold Cost increased from 20 to 22
- Zeppelin Gold Cost increased from 6 to 8
- Ironclad Gold Cost increased from 14 to 16
- Juggernaut Gold Cost decreased from 28 to 25

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 20, 2013

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I must say that the frequency with which they're releasing these patches is inspiring. They're clearly working pretty drat hard on getting this game right, I like to see that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah. It made me really happy to see them succeed with their kickstarter, as well, since they clearly enjoy and care about their products. Not to mention they actually have a positive track record with their games. I hope they see solid amounts of success once they release the game, finally.

Also, Stabbey, I suppose that makes me a co-executive producer for Dragon Commander now. :smug:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm going to update the OP with a preliminary spoiler policy and the units post with more detail on the roles and counters of units.

Drifter posted:

Also, Stabbey, I suppose that makes me a co-executive producer for Dragon Commander now. :smug:

And it seems like I'm co-lead QA too :smug:

Dragon Commander seems to have all the functionality of a modern RTS, which includes lots of nice convenient features to help you control units better. Most are not actually documented, you need to discover them for yourself. Let's make a nice list of these functions in one place:

• (A mixed group of units/buildings selected)
    Tab cycles through the units, letting you give different units in the group different orders or use their special abilities. (If you have your production buildings in a group, this works as well. Both work in Dragon form now as well, but you need the units and buildings in a control group.)

• (With a Unit(s) selected)
    Control + [1-0] adds the selection to the specified control group. (Instead of having to select the entire group again.)

• (With a Unit(s) selected, and using the Patrol command)
    Shift + Left-click to set up waypoints for the units to patrol on. Click the final waypoint back on the starting one to make the units patrol in a circle.

• (With a Unit(s) selected)
    Shift + Right-click to to place a waypoint for units to follow as they move. (Useful if you want them to follow a set path, such as if you have Shamans and ground units and need to move them around water, you don't want the Shamans to cut across and be on their own before their backup arrives.)

• (With a Building(s) selected)
    Shift + Right-click to place a waypoint for units to follow as they rally. (Mostly useful at the start of Skirmish to get your Troopers or whatever to walk past buildings in your base to capture them.)

• (With a Building(s) selected)
    Shift + [Unit portrait OR Unit shortcut key] to order 5 units at once. (This speeds up production somewhat so you can order a lot of units at once and then go off and do things.)

• (With a Devastator(s) selected, and in motion to a specific point)
    Shift + G, when the Devastator is en route to a specific location, will automatically put the Devastator into siege mode when it arrives.

• (In Dragon form, with a building(s) selected)
    Q will set the rally point for the buildings to where you're aiming.

Any others I'm forgetting?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Some more news:

First, more personalities have been revealed (and added to the Personalities post on page 3):

Ophelia - Princess, Undead Race

The undead are in essence immortal creatures, trapped as they are in an eternal state of 'semi-being' that touches the boundaries of both life and death while crossing neither. Some of them though, eventually do traverse the lien and die, either by being destroyed in combat or of disease. This last instance happens very rarely indeed, but unfortunately for Ophelia, she is one such exception, afflicted as she is by a cancer that is eating away her marrow. She is withering away and nothing can be done about it, at least, that's what the other undead say, who believe this disease is a punishment from the gods. Ophelia though, doesn't want to give up without a fight and she is determined to find a cure or any sort of alternative that may keep her alive, even if it goes against her own faction.

Trinculo Shortfuse - Councillor, Imp Race

If one wants to sum up the impish spirit with one word, it is unpredictability. Trinculo may often surprise with his meandering points of view, but like all imps he is as clever as he is fickle. Science and progression are his bywords; for gods, men (or anything else really) he has little to no use.

Scarlett - General (Human)

Scarlett is an upbeat young woman with a passion for combat, liquor and all the pleasures of life. There is another side to her though, one she keeps strictly secret, though in time she'll reveal this secret to you.

Next, Dragon Commander will have Steam Trading cards and badges and that stuff on release.

Finally, today there should be a patch that changes some things up. Swen posted this yesterday:

Lar_q posted:

First of all, thank you for all your feedback on this - it has quite a big impact on what we do, though you sometimes may be surprised by exactly what it impacts ;)

The one piece of input you don't have is the single player campaign and how that plays, and as a few of you pointed out already, that indeed is an important driver when it comes to balancing certain values. While the game engine allows us to differentiate between balancing values in multiplayer & singleplayer, we're trying to avoid that for the moment because it'd make our lives a lot more complex. Of course, if need be, we will bifurcate and I expect that post-release, we most likely will.

We just had a big meeting discussing all the feedback we've seen over the weekend and the last weeks, and will be making the following changes which I expect you'll get in either a new beta today or tomorrow.

We'll reduce the prices of the units on the strategy map, but increase the multipliers of strategy units to RTS units even further. The change that is happening now is where before a 3 armour cost 14 gold, you'll now pay 7 gold for two armours (and thus 14 for 4 armours). This will lead to a 25% inflation of standing army units when battling in RTS mode which can mean that you'll get very large battles in RTS mode. The increase in AOE range/damage for units with AOE abilities should prevent blobbing from becoming the dominant tactics.

Because of this inflation, we're introducing the concept of reserves for large fights. I.e. there'll be a cap on the amount of units you can bring into RTS mode (probably determined by your support x constant). The other units will be in standby and you'll be able to insta-produce them in the corresponding buildings once support goes below the support cap. The composition of the initial army will be balanced according to the force that you brought with you.

To further emphasise the importance of the strategy map, in single player modes against the AI, we'll remove the current constraints on the AI in RTS battles where statistics say it should win. I.e. if you have a 80%/20% battle that favours the AI, it's currently still possible to win fairly easily because the AI currently plays *nice*. We'll change that so that it'll play a bit less nice. This should increase a player's incentive to take his unit composition on the strategy map into account.

Another rule which that's been in the works will also be released - when the population hits 0, you'll have the option to spawn one last time as a dragon but when it dies then that'll be it. This is to prevent the sometimes very long endgame.

I'm hoping that the advance multiplayer options screen will also soon make it's entry, so that you can fool around with all the values, sliders & win conditions yourselves.

I'll try and get the Units section updated as well today with new information on the roles of units and their counters, that kind of thing.

There must be more people in the DC Beta, maybe some who would be interested in playing games or testing out unit matchups, that kind of thing, so add me. I could use more people who are in North America to play against or with.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/stabbey_the_clown

SA doesn't have a Steam Group for DC (what would we call it anyway, Dragoon Commander? That could be confused with all kinds of actual Dragoon games.) I don't really want to run or admin a Steam group myself in any case.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
You could just use a capital, DraGoon Commanders.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Swen posted on his blog a new post titled "On last minute changes & media" about sending out review code when you're changing code literally up until the day it's released. (Also he seems to have some infection going on, so I hope he gets better :ohdear:)

Swen posted:

Stacked neatly in a corner where normally producer & video boy jack in, stood twenty thousand carton boxes filled with German retail editions of Divinity: Dragon Commander. It took my dulled senses a few moments to understand what these boxes were doing in my office and why David was indulging himself in a bit of hydraulic trolley play.

You see, normally, boxes don’t come to developer offices, even self-publishing ones. They usually travel from printer to distributor warehouse to retailer. But normal of course doesn’t apply when bureaucracies are involved. Insert here a long and complicated story about the absurdities bestowed upon us by our beloved bureaucracies which makes us send out thousands of boxes, printed in the destination country, outside of the destination country, only to ship them back to the destination country the day after. That too is part of self-publishing, at least in the European Union it is ;)

[...]

All of the changes that we agreed on were implemented or being implemented, and a number of new crashes had been found and solved. If you’re wondering why we are still changing things, well, you needn’t look further than our forums, youtube, the steam community hub, facebook , twitter and what have you. There’s a continuous feedback loop going on there and we’re seeing some very well formed opinions appearing.

Our code of conduct is that whenever somebody posts a bright idea it gets on our list, and then put it in, as long as it remains feasible for us.

I can guarantee you that there’s a lot of people in the development trade (that actually includes guys in my office ;) ) that will tell you that this is the way to ruin, but my experience has been such that you’re better of with a game that’s fun and maybe not polished than you are with a game that’s polished but not fun. Fixing the polish is an easy enough thing and almost always a matter of money. Fixing the fun otoh is still somewhat of an arcane art coveted by many but mastered by few and money will not necessarily make the difference. Because my interest and joy in making games comes from stumbling upon ways of making them fun, I tend to sin more than often against the rules of maintaining the outwards production values that are so important these days, preferring a message box if need be over not putting something in that clearly improves the game mechanics :)

I joke, but I really do believe that whenever you realize a certain change will make your game more fun, you should do it, no matter how late in the development process you are. You should actually count yourself lucky that you had the insight prior to release. The only reason I can see why you shouldn’t embark on making the change is when you can’t implement the change properly for whatever reason. But you shouldn’t let that be an excuse for not making the change. ;)

[...]

Obviously, if you intend on continuing to make changes to make your game better, you want to send out review code as late as possible, so that reviewers have the most up to date code. Preferably, you do give them sufficient time to create their review and the consensus seems to be that 10 days is sufficient.

Sadly, that’s not always feasible.

There are still print magazines out there, and despite their numbers dwindling fast, they still have some influence, especially among retailers. If you want to be featured in those magazines and you are not one of their colleagues turned developer, you really need to send out your review code about a month before release. A month is an eternity in game development, especially if you adopt the change-if-it-improves-the-fun dogma, and so the problem of when to send out review code is amplified when dealing with print.

I don’t really know how to handle this problem but I do know how to not do it. Don’t differentiate between publications. We for instance gave out Dragon Commander review code early to a few print magazines to take into account their deadlines, and we regretted it almost instantly.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Patch 149 has dropped.

Swen posted:

Hello everybody,

Big update today with plenty of goodies. As always, let us know what you think. We're especially interested in your thoughts re: strategy map to RTS unit count ratio & balance.

- New campaign map
- 4 new skirmish maps

- Variety of minor balancing fixes
- Rebalance of pricing on strategy map
- Rightclicking a buildsite will no longer show "Can't attack target" message
- Fixed hold position for priests
- Added combat reserves mechanic: units coming from strategy phase are put in the "reserves" when support is overflowing. These units are build for free and without build-delay in their respective building.
- Pathfinding improvements
- Fixes to battle-result screen
- Tooltip in the combat hud show more information about active bonusses on selected units
- Added range indicator for turrets and devestators
- Sub-selection is no longer reset when a unit dies
- Fixed lockup in prepbattle
- Made turrets and buildsites smaller on the minimap
- Battleships should no longer miss their targets when standing still
- Units will not flee when holding position
- Reduce stop distances for battleship and hunters
- Restructured main-menu
- Bombs dropped by balloons should continue to their target after it dies
- AI fixes when playing on an island map with no available building sites
- Show correct icon when hovering over sea tiles in strategy phase
- Added "Last call for dragons"-mechanic: when the population on a map drops to zero each player can spawn their dragon one last time
- Fighters can attack ground units again
- Autoresolve will play-back now. No skip button yet though! Comes very soon...
- Fixed mouse mosition when playing on non-native resolutions in fake fullscreen
- Zeppelin weapon damage fix
- Fixes in unit descriptions
- Turrets can be affected by statuses
- Several, small and large, stability and performance fixes

Cheers

Detail:

- Shaman Speed increased from 100 to 105
- Warlock Damage increased from 75 to 76
- Hunter Health increased from 1850 to 1940
- Hunter Damage increased from 41 to 42
- Armour Health increased from 2400 to 2440
- Devastator Damage increased from 318 to 324
- Transport Health decreased from 4500 to 4000
- Juggernaut Health increased from 6400 to 6500 (from patch 142)
- Imp Fighter Damage increased from 136 to 138

Skill Rebalances:
- Grenadier “Enhanced Explosives” Radius increased from 70 to 75
- Grenadier “Chemical Warfare” Damage increased from 3.0% to 3.5%
- Warlock “Death from Above” Damage decreased from 375 to 365
- Warlocks can now fire while cloaked, but using abilities decloaks them.
- Devastator “Besiege” Range decreased from +100% (2600m) to + 40% (1820m)
- Ironclad's "On Guard" duration increased from 6 to 14 seconds.
- Imp Fighter “War of Attrition” effect duration increased from 2.5 to 3 seconds
- Zeppelin “Fly my Flaming Pretties” Damage increased from 245 to 248
- Zeppelin "Mustard Gas" damage decreased from 186/second to 155/second
- Zeppelin "Mustard Gas" duration decreased from 18 to 15 seconds
- Units can now fire while cloaked by the Zeppelin's "Fog of War", but using abilities decloaks them.

Campaign:
- Trooper Gold cost decreased from 4 to 3
- Warlock Gold cost decreased from 7 to 6
- Hunter Gold cost decreased from 9 to 7
- Armour Gold cost decreased from 14 to 7
- Devastator Gold cost decreased from 14 to 9
- Ironclad Gold cost decreased from 16 to 12
- Juggernaut Gold cost decreased from 25 to 20
- Imp Fighter Gold cost decreased from 14 to 10
- Bomber Balloon Gold cost decreased from 22 to 16
- Zeppelin Gold cost increased from 6 to 7

I might have missed some stuff, I'll check back later.

Also, note that once the map's population drops to zero, you can spawn only once as a Dragon, REGARDLESS of how many recruits you have in the bank. You could have 3000 recruits in the bank, but if the map's population is zero, you can only spawn as a Dragon once.

Hooray for new maps! I have not had a chance to test the new gameplay, but I like the new range indicators in Devastators and turrets - although they did nerf the Devastator's range, it's now only a 40% increase in siege mode instead of 100%.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 24, 2013

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Also, note that once the map's population drops to zero, you can spawn only once as a Dragon, REGARDLESS of how many recruits you have in the bank. You could have 3000 recruits in the bank, but if the map's population is zero, you can only spawn as a Dragon once.

Why this? I would think as the map shifts from larger strategy to smaller-scale tactics the dragon would become more important, not less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Mzbundifund posted:

Why this? I would think as the map shifts from larger strategy to smaller-scale tactics the dragon would become more important, not less.

Honestly, I hope it's just a "duh we did that wrong" oversight, because really, even if you're playing properly, there's a good chance that the map can run out of recruits right about the time you're making your final push. That happened to me, and despite having 600+ recruits left, I was not able to respawn as a Dragon.

That seems to go against the stated reason to "help resolve stalemates", because it can actually interfere with non-stalemate gameplay.

EDIT: The AI is really good now. It's really great at countering my moves and responding quickly. I really need to be thinking and planning ahead at all times now, because it will aggressively be sneaky and nasty.

It's finally using Naval units - and correctly, too! I think I actually saw the BRILLIANT move of it easily countering my mines using a cloaked Transport and Minesweeper. (I'm not sure because I only saw the Ironclads.) EDIT: I think that was actually Ironclad's Revelation ability.

EDIT: Warlocks can now shoot their weapons while cloaked. Nasty. That seems to be deliberate, because their Cloak description no longer mentions "firing weapons", only using abilities. The Zepplin's cloak ability explicitly says that units cloaked by the Zeppelin can also fire while cloaked, as long as they don't use abilities.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 24, 2013

• Locked thread