Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I bought Friday Monsters on the JP e-shop about a month ago when L5 had a 50% off sale on all their e-shop offerings.
It only cost me 4 bucks, but it still makes me angry for wasting around five ~ six hours on it to clear.
It really is like the first hour of a bad JRPG in which you have to run around the first town and talk to everyone before you can leave to finally fight a monster...but there's no monster fights.
There's also a card game with dog-simple mechanics, but since you can only play NPCs, there's no joy in winning.
It's a trite, tedious slog even for a guy like me who grew up in the game's depicted era and should've felt a twinge of nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

NINTENDO eSHOP: We're Getting Earthbound

This is all you need to do to get me to seriously consider getting a Wii U. I just wish it could have come out on the 3DS so I can play it on the go.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/07/18/sega-3d-classic-series-coming-to-nintendo-3ds/

Sega US blog just confirmed the 3D Classics games are making it here. :dance:

Also, I got Friday Monsters and...I really kind of like it, I'm not sure why. The visuals remind me of a Ghibli film or Ni no Kuni and I like walking around and finding the glims. It's probably not for everyone though. My only complaint is the screen changes get disorienting.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
It's kinda lovely that the 3D version of Sonic 1 isn't based on the Taxman iOS version. That version is in widescreen, has playable Tails and Knuckles, an option to enable the spindash and all sorts of crazy poo poo in debug mode, whereas this version's sole new feature just seems to be 3D.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Pyrovile posted:

It's kinda lovely that the 3D version of Sonic 1 isn't based on the Taxman iOS version. That version is in widescreen, has playable Tails and Knuckles, an option to enable the spindash and all sorts of crazy poo poo in debug mode, whereas this version's sole new feature just seems to be 3D.

Personally I would wanted the Sonic.exe version from this reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wZhJ2vGj7E

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Pyrovile posted:

This version has spindash, but otherwise, yes. Keep in mind how hugely divided development teams are between Japanese systems/developers and American stuff like phones, and it probably wouldn't be something simple to port over.

Realistically they should just put that version of Sonic 1 on XBLA or somethin'...

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Pyrovile posted:

Like one already mentioned, there is the spindash option. Not only that, but also "customizable controls, and the ability to toggle between the Japanese and “Overseas” versions, and Mega Drive 1 and 2 sound formats." Also the option to view the game like you're watching it on an old tube television. How's that? [source]

More importantly, unlike the iOS version, the 3DS version has controls. :smug:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, I thought so too, but from the looks of things it's an online guide that's been optimised for the Gamepad. No idea if they've actually configured it to let you browse the guide while you play... probably not.

Doesn't the Wii U's internet browser work when you're playing a game no matter what, just like on the 3DS?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly it just sucks it isn't Sonic 2. I hate Sonic 1 that game is just a bit too boring and the worst of the genesis Sonics. :(

The T
May 29, 2010

PonchAxis posted:

the worst of the genesis Sonics. :(

Sonic Spinball and Sonic 3D Blast would like a stern word with you.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

The T posted:

Ok you know what I mean! The main 2D Sonic games.

The T
May 29, 2010

PonchAxis posted:

Ok you know what I mean! The main 2D Sonic games.

And while it's not everyone's cup of tea, Sonic 1 is still a fantastic game. I think it has a lot longer legs to it (ie, replayability) than Sonic 3 for me, but that's probably just because I've played Sonic 3 to death as a child.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Sonic 1 is to Super Mario Bros. as Sonic 2 is to Super Mario Bros. 3. Both are solid games, but the sequel just has and does so much more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Sonic 1 is to Super Mario Bros. as Sonic 2 is to Super Mario Bros. 3. Both are solid games, but the sequel just has and does so much more.

I dunno if I agree with that; in some respects I prefer Super Mario Bros. to 3. 3 does add a ton, oh yeah, but it also makes it a bit... I dunno. I feel harder, but the original was pretty hard. More complicated, shall we say? There's a certain zen to the original series, just go EDIT: right

However, I just picked up Sonic 1 for the first time in ages, popped that sucker in... and remembered you can't do the spin-up move on Sonic 1. That was added in Sonic 2.

I beat like 3 levels and then switched back to Sonic 2. The thing is they're like so friggin similar, except 2 is better. They're not as fresh/different from each other as Mario Bros. and Mario 3 are.

Also you can't play Sonic 1 with Sonic & Knuckles, so screw that noise.

Its not a bad game, but I can see what he means that its kinda meh now, Sonic 2 and other Sonics are just the same but better.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 18, 2013

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a certain zen to the original series, just go left.

That's one hell of a strategy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The T posted:

Sonic Spinball would kerbstomp Sonic 1. Better game, better music.

The T
May 29, 2010

njsykora posted:

So you're going to be in the Spinball race then.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I'm excited by Ecco the Dolphin and Shinobi III on that list. It'll be interesting to see where else they go with this 3D Classic concept if the first crop does well.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Wooo!
Buying Earthbound feels good man.

The only game in the series I've played was Mother3 and I've been waiting for a legit way to buy Earthbound ever since, I tried it on emulator many times but it's just not the same and I felt like I was ruining my virgin playthrough.
Can't wait to get into this, but it will probably have to wait until I finish M&L Dream Team

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Fancy Hat! posted:

Completely and totally. I wonder what incurred the extra cost, maybe that liscensing stuff?

I bet it was just they know a lot of people wanted the game so they put it at a higher price. Iirc omeone from Nintendo get interviewed a few months back and said licensing wasn't a factor at all.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

TheHoosier posted:

I'm excited by Ecco the Dolphin and Shinobi III on that list. It'll be interesting to see where else they go with this 3D Classic concept if the first crop does well.
3D After Burner II needs to happen. All the scaler games would transition well, really. I'd love to see them put something relatively unknown like Power Drift or Enduro Racer on there. Thunder Blade would look amazing too, because the stages alternate between behind the back and top down views with tons of depth and just imagining that in 3D is making me giddy with excitement :allears:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Doesn't the Wii U's internet browser work when you're playing a game no matter what, just like on the 3DS?

Right, it just pauses the game.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I bought Friday Monsters on the JP e-shop about a month ago when L5 had a 50% off sale on all their e-shop offerings.
It only cost me 4 bucks, but it still makes me angry for wasting around five ~ six hours on it to clear.
It really is like the first hour of a bad JRPG in which you have to run around the first town and talk to everyone before you can leave to finally fight a monster...but there's no monster fights.
There's also a card game with dog-simple mechanics, but since you can only play NPCs, there's no joy in winning.
It's a trite, tedious slog even for a guy like me who grew up in the game's depicted era and should've felt a twinge of nostalgia.

How about approaching it as more of a visual novel/story game. I just saw a trailer and I'm interested in knowing if it's worth a purchase.
(Also really need a break from Chrimson Shroud, was not expecting that to go over the 12 hour mark)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgJRbP08ucg

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

njsykora posted:

After all these years, I... I'm not alone.

:respek:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The T posted:

So you're going to be in the Spinball race then.

It's a better game, I never said I was any good at it.

gently caress The Machine.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Sinners Sandwich posted:

How about approaching it as more of a visual novel/story game. I just saw a trailer and I'm interested in knowing if it's worth a purchase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgJRbP08ucg

Like I wrote, Friday Monsters is basically a one-town JRPG without any battles, just loads of inane pre-teen kid dialog wrapped around a late 1960s-ish Nippon nostalgia setting which did nothing for me despite having lived through it.
The game gets no better than what you see in that promo video--just much, much more of exactly the same over the course of the game.
According to my play log, I finished it in just 4:48 despite me being pretty slow and methodical.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Is there at least a demo available so I can try it out?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Capcom announced that the remaining Mega Man Game Boy games are definitely coming to the VC "soon" - games include Mega Man II/III/IV/V and Mega Man Xtreme/Xtreme 2, and we know Mega Man Game Gear is coming, too. If you're not a diehard fan you can safely skip most of 'em, but it's still nice to see Capcom throw a bone to the diehard fans in the first place.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Capcom announced that the remaining Mega Man Game Boy games are definitely coming to the VC "soon" - games include Mega Man II/III/IV/V and Mega Man Xtreme/Xtreme 2, and we know Mega Man Game Gear is coming, too. If you're not a diehard fan you can safely skip most of 'em, but it's still nice to see Capcom throw a bone to the diehard fans in the first place.

The only one worth playing is Megaman V on the Gameboy, as it ditched rehasing enemies from the NES game and has a bunch of brand new robot masters and various other stuff.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

I guess Capcom needs to ensure at all time that 1/3 of the Wii U VC games are Megaman, because when I think of classic games that need to be on the VC the first thing I think of is "every single loving megaman game even though they're all essentially the same"

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

robodex posted:

I guess Capcom needs to ensure at all time that 1/3 of the Wii U VC games are Megaman, because when I think of classic games that need to be on the VC the first thing I think of is "every single loving megaman game even though they're all essentially the same"

Those games I listed are coming to 3DS, not Wii U.

Anyway, you know there is a big number of people who actually want every MM game, and that this is a complete 180 from the Wii VC which didn't even manage to release all the NES games in, what, seven years?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

robodex posted:

All video games just have me push buttons what the gently caress is this hobby

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Did you miss the power of the waggling Wii?

On an Earthbound related note YAY Earthbound! I was keeping money on my eShop for just this occasion. Truly in a week of amazing video game deals this'll still take the cake.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Haven't you heard? Video games aren't just button pushing anymore. They're interactive movies and sometimes you run from chest-high wall to chest-high wall to click on heads.

The T
May 29, 2010

Pretty disappointing that Mega Man V won't have it's Super Game Boy palettes. Same with DK '94, which had AMAZING ones (skip down a bit on the page).

Likewise for the Oracle games and I'm guessing Shantae not having their GBA features. (Oracle games have 2 extra shops; Shantae had a slightly updated graphic mode and a few extra abilities I think?) I'm not even positive on if Shantae doesn't have them, but I don't see why it would if the Oracle games don't.

Really strange decisions around these things.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shantae doesn't have the GBA features, just checked for myself.

Super Game Boy support was supposed to be left to publishers/devs to implement on a game-by-game basis, according to some NOA rep, but I'm guessing that turned out to be bullshit, seeing as SGB features haven't shown up in a single game.

The T
May 29, 2010

Shantae doesn't have the GBA features, just checked for myself.

Gross. Pretty sure I'm not gonna bother with a purchase then. :/

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The T posted:

Gross. Pretty sure I'm not gonna bother with a purchase then. :/

Shantae running in GBA mode on a non-OG GBA screen looks kinda crappy, honestly. It's not a big deal.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

The elite and platinum gifts are up.
https://club.nintendo.com/elite-status-gifts.do

Oops two pages late.

How is Sakura Samurai?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The T posted:

Pretty disappointing that Mega Man V won't have it's Super Game Boy palettes. Same with DK '94, which had AMAZING ones (skip down a bit on the page).

Likewise for the Oracle games and I'm guessing Shantae not having their GBA features. (Oracle games have 2 extra shops; Shantae had a slightly updated graphic mode and a few extra abilities I think?) I'm not even positive on if Shantae doesn't have them, but I don't see why it would if the Oracle games don't.

Really strange decisions around these things.

I forgot how good DK '94 looked on Super Game Boy, I'd pay an extra $ for that.