Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vInkVFqP__c

"What's the most important thing to remember?"

"No face to face contact while we're on school property"

Is it bad I take issue with this? Maybe I come from a different perspective, but disowning your sibling is loving dumb.

Are cell phone/internet providers in some weird alternate universe where kids are anti-social assholes?

Did you miss the rest of the commercial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

don't get a loan for a birthday party! that is the worst thing you could ever do!

The real sad thing is how many people out there that would instead think "oh yeah that's a great idea, I can throw a party this way!", it is too bizarre how many terrible financial ideas there are commercials advertising

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

piratepilates posted:

The real sad thing is how many people out there that would instead think "oh yeah that's a great idea, I can throw a party this way!", it is too bizarre how many terrible financial ideas there are commercials advertising

I can't believe that people would fall for these commercials. No poo poo they're going to encourage you to take out a loan for everything. It's like a grizzly bear sending you a letter saying what a great time of year it is for camping. :eng99:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, I think Western Sky is still easily the worst of the bunch.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

dijon du jour posted:

I can't believe that people would fall for these commercials. No poo poo they're going to encourage you to take out a loan for everything. It's like a grizzly bear sending you a letter saying what a great time of year it is for camping. :eng99:

Schools can't waste valuable time teaching kids basic life skills and finance, it's more impprtant that they learn yet another loving way to solve for X.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Schools can't waste valuable time teaching kids basic life skills and finance, it's more impprtant that they learn yet another loving way to solve for X.

:confused: Of all things to complain about American schools teaching you went with math?

edit: And come on, it's not like the people who take out bad loans to finance birthday parties are the ones who really paid attention in school and would take a personal finances course (actually offered at a lot of schools (maybe that's only Canada (I didn't take it because I'm solidly middle class))) to heart.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 19, 2013

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

raditts posted:

Yeah, I think Western Sky is still easily the worst of the bunch.

Actually, i really like Western Sky because unlike all the other loan companies they literally say "This is going to cost you a lot of loving money, and you should only do this if you literally have no other choice on Earth at all." It's one of the most honest commercials of our time.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

piratepilates posted:

:confused: Of all things to complain about American schools teaching you went with math?

:ssh: Finance is math.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

piratepilates posted:

edit: And come on, it's not like the people who take out bad loans to finance birthday parties are the ones who really paid attention in school and would take a personal finances course (actually offered at a lot of schools (maybe that's only Canada (I didn't take it because I'm solidly middle class))) to heart.

My high school had a required class called Consumer Ed, which was basic finances, doing taxes, how mortgages/loans worked, how credit cards worked, all basic personal economic stuff. It was pretty easy, so maybe people didn't pay attention to this stuff as much as I did. I remember my college freshman dorm roommate had no clue about getting charged interest on unpaid debts. He was just going to pay the minimum on stuff until I told him he would pay a lot more over the long run if he did that.

Western Sky might be so upfront now because I think they got slapped by the FTC for false advertising back in the day, so now they don't take any chances.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Stairs posted:

Actually, i really like Western Sky because unlike all the other loan companies they literally say "This is going to cost you a lot of loving money, and you should only do this if you literally have no other choice on Earth at all." It's one of the most honest commercials of our time.

Not anymore. I guess that wasn't getting enough suckers on the line so their most recent commercials goofed it up a bit with stock clips of a hamster running on a wheel and the Western Sky lady repeatedly doing the most unnerving attempts at a smile I've ever seen.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Are cell phone/internet providers in some weird alternate universe where kids are anti-social assholes?

I remember when web pages took 45 minutes to load.

Seriously everyone in those commercials need to go out and play. I don't mean to sound like one of those terrible facebook posts, but good lord.

Speaking as a former math teacher, this isn't an alternate universe. Welcome to our new reality. I agree with the second bit, though.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Off topic but I feel compelled to defend math. :colbert:

99% of math class is NOT ABOUT THE ACTUAL MATH. The entire point is to learn critical thinking and abstract reasoning skills. I stressed with my own students that the point was NOT to memorize any formulas but to exercise your brain. It's no mystery that the kids who failed and hated math were the ones who only tried the most obvious, linear approach to "find the answer" (a phrase I banned from my classroom), and the ones who succeeded were able to go, "Hmmm, that didn't work, I wonder why," and apply some goddamn effort into finding another method.

I don't give a poo poo if you remember the quadratic formula, but I do care if you learned how to analyze an unfamiliar problem and figure out how to apply the more straightforward methods you learned to something less obvious. Life isn't about "if you see ____, do _____". Neither is math. Learning to figure poo poo out for yourself when the solution isn't obvious IS a critical life skill, something I wish the vast majority of people I have to interact with at my new job would learn. Sadly, that takes effort.

End rant. :corsair:

Actual relevant content: I can't find the video anywhere, I'll need to do a lovely recording when I get back to town, but anyone in my area should be familiar with the ads for "Cruisin' Gold", a rim store. All they sell is rims that are worth more than the '92 Honda Civic you're putting them on. There are two ads I recall:

1) Some "hot" chick in a car who has clearly been spritzed with water to look sweaty and is inexplicably sitting in a motionless car, fanning herself to make sure we know how hot it is (see also: causing her chest to bounce). They say something about getting your AC recharged, then cut to her not sweaty and gross and smiling, but still sitting in an unmoving car in a parking lot for no apparent reason. Just a really weird commercial for some reason I can't quite identify.

2) Slow motion of a car hitting a pot-hole and a man cursing to himself. "Next time you need to blame your WIFE for bending a rim, take it to Cruisin' Gold!" Emphasis NOT ADDED BE ME, the (female) narrator stresses that word. The commercial ends with the dude we saw in the car that hit the pothole walking up to the counter. He says, "My wife....", his sentence is cut off Sopranos style, and the commercial ends there.

I really need to share a video of #2, it's one of the biggest wtf moments I've had watching commercials lately.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Speaking as a former math teacher, this isn't an alternate universe. Welcome to our new reality. I agree with the second bit, though.

Off topic but I feel compelled to defend math. :colbert:

99% of math class is NOT ABOUT THE ACTUAL MATH. The entire point is to learn critical thinking and abstract reasoning skills. I stressed with my own students that the point was NOT to memorize any formulas but to exercise your brain. It's no mystery that the kids who failed and hated math were the ones who only tried the most obvious, linear approach to "find the answer" (a phrase I banned from my classroom), and the ones who succeeded were able to go, "Hmmm, that didn't work, I wonder why," and apply some goddamn effort into finding another method.

I don't give a poo poo if you remember the quadratic formula, but I do care if you learned how to analyze an unfamiliar problem and figure out how to apply the more straightforward methods you learned to something less obvious. Life isn't about "if you see ____, do _____". Neither is math. Learning to figure poo poo out for yourself when the solution isn't obvious IS a critical life skill, something I wish the vast majority of people I have to interact with at my new job would learn. Sadly, that takes effort.

End rant. :corsair:

Actual relevant content: I can't find the video anywhere, I'll need to do a lovely recording when I get back to town, but anyone in my area should be familiar with the ads for "Cruisin' Gold", a rim store. All they sell is rims that are worth more than the '92 Honda Civic you're putting them on. There are two ads I recall:

1) Some "hot" chick in a car who has clearly been spritzed with water to look sweaty and is inexplicably sitting in a motionless car, fanning herself to make sure we know how hot it is (see also: causing her chest to bounce). They say something about getting your AC recharged, then cut to her not sweaty and gross and smiling, but still sitting in an unmoving car in a parking lot for no apparent reason. Just a really weird commercial for some reason I can't quite identify.

2) Slow motion of a car hitting a pot-hole and a man cursing to himself. "Next time you need to blame your WIFE for bending a rim, take it to Cruisin' Gold!" Emphasis NOT ADDED BE ME, the (female) narrator stresses that word. The commercial ends with the dude we saw in the car that hit the pothole walking up to the counter. He says, "My wife....", his sentence is cut off Sopranos style, and the commercial ends there.

I really need to share a video of #2, it's one of the biggest wtf moments I've had watching commercials lately.

If it's not about the actual math but the critical thinking it provides, why not be twice as productive and teach critical thinking using math that is actually relevant to your students' lives instead of obstinately clinging to The Great Classical Education Canon when you and your students know it's bullshit?

The idea that making the curriculum actully be interesting or relevant while still teaching the same underlying lessons is somehow "dumbing it down" or a sign of weakness is the worst thing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
As a parent, I find myself watching too much children's programming these days. Every frickin commercial break on Cartoon Network features this commercial for "Laser Pegs":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE8tMTdPH_M

The girl they got to sing and announce on the commercial is so dreadful that I can only assume she's the daughter of the commercial's director or something.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If I ever see someone wearing one of these out in public, i'm going to run up to them and start asking questions about Warren G. Harding and the Teapot Dome scandal in my best 1920's radio personality voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOn10tqaIJQ

Christ.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gonz posted:

If I ever see someone wearing one of these out in public, i'm going to run up to them and start asking questions about Warren G. Harding and the Teapot Dome scandal in my best 1920's radio personality voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOn10tqaIJQ

Christ.

They could sell them by the bucket-load to steampunk aficionados. They'd eat that poo poo up.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Young Freud posted:

They could sell them by the bucket-load to steampunk aficionados. They'd eat that poo poo up.

Yeah, i'm guessing that "steampunk cosplayer" is this company's target demo. I can't fathom an average American consumer wanting to purchase and then utilize something like this in their day to day life.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gonz posted:

Yeah, i'm guessing that "steampunk cosplayer" is this company's target demo. I can't fathom an average American consumer wanting to purchase and then utilize something like this in their day to day life.

You mean pocketwatches? I dunno, I don't think it's one of those things that's just for nerds on the internet, they make a nice accessory to a suit if you're all dressed up fancy. I don't think anyone actually uses them to tell time, mind you.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The only people who I envision still using pocketwatches unironically are very old British men named Basil.

Basil wears a three piece suit, uses a fancy walking stick and has a grey handlebar mustache. He's also very racist.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gonz posted:

The only people who I envision still using pocketwatches unironically are very old British men named Basil.

Basil wears a three piece suit, uses a fancy walking stick and has a grey handlebar mustache. He's also very racist.

I think the pocket-watch industry these days is largely dependent on clueless and lazy fathers looking to buy a graduation present for their sons.

Nothing says how much you love your son and how proud you are than something that will end up at the bottom of a sock-drawer in less than 24 hours.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Someone once told me "Pocketwatches have come back into style. The difference is, now they can play Angry Birds."

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

FuzzySkinner posted:

"What's the most important thing to remember?"

"No face to face contact while we're on school property"

Is it bad I take issue with this? Maybe I come from a different perspective, but disowning your sibling is loving dumb.

I'd want to duck my brother if he was a ginger with Bieber hair too :v:

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Speaking as a former math teacher, it's no mystery that the kids who failed and hated math were the ones who only tried the most obvious, linear approach to "find the answer" (a phrase I banned from my classroom)

This is the only math teaching I ever received. Doing something unconventional that still yielded the correct result? Wrong! I don't care that you got the right answer, it's wrong!!

Because that's not how it is on the SOL testing!! :byodame: This is how I was taught math, from first grade to my senior year. Hooray~~~

On topic, I hate commercials that feature a lot of chomping and crunching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9o5mwFNPGw

Like you. gently caress you, nachos. I hate you so much.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

I'd want to duck my brother if he was a ginger with Bieber hair too :v:

This is the only math teaching I ever received. Doing something unconventional that still yielded the correct result? Wrong! I don't care that you got the right answer, it's wrong!!

Because that's not how it is on the SOL testing!! :byodame: This is how I was taught math, from first grade to my senior year. Hooray~~~

The correct result is the correct method, getting the right answer incidentally or in the wrong way really teaches you nothing about what you were supposed to be learning in that class, you might as well have cheated to get the right end result in how much you learned from it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

The thing that bugs me about that commercial is that they have everyone dressing fairly nicely but apparently he was just eating some nasty rear end stadium nachos.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
What bugs me is that nachos are supposed to be an offensive smell at a polo game, where a cloud of horse poo poo smell is permeating everything for 3 square miles.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

dijon du jour posted:

Oh my god why are people in these commercials so amazed that you can swipe over on whatever phone that is (it showed up in that Best Buy commercial) without touching it. It's only a couple of inches difference just touch your drat phone.
Are they trying to market to germaphobes or something?

It's the Samsung Galaxy S4 and I can sort of see the point.

It's not about germaphobes, it's simply about keeping the screen as clean as possible and not moving the phone as much since that's how accidents happen and they're easy to break. Like, say, you get a call when eating or doing dirty work you can answer the phone without having to wash the screen later. Now the video playback where it pauses if you look away is an extremely handy feature for commuters.

I agree that the commercials are loving annoying though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Redeye Flight posted:

Someone once told me "Pocketwatches have come back into style. The difference is, now they can play Angry Birds."

Yeah, I saw that commercial the other day, and this was honestly my train of thought: "You know, I don't wear a wrist watch anymore (long story) I bet I'd actually use a pocket watch if I had--oh wait, I have my phone already in my pocket."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Redeye Flight posted:

I'm surprised no one has sold the idea of "watch" chains that attach to smartphones. I have a belief that might be more popular accessory than bringing back pocketwatches.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Young Freud posted:

I'm surprised no one has sold the idea of "watch" chains that attach to smartphones. I have a belief that might be more popular accessory than bringing back pocketwatches.

Wallet chains were bad enough in the 90s, let's not encourage anyone bringing that back.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Vonage has never had any good commercials, but their batch with the hippie turned CEO is giving me Geico Cavemen flashbacks, and that something nobody ever wanted to remember.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The Verizon commercial with the brother and sister talking on the first day of school. First off I don't know what it was like everywhere else but we weren't allowed to have our cellphones out during school, let alone have video chats. Second even though the girl doesn't want her brother talking to her, she's having a video conversation with him throughout the school day. It's may be the stupidest back to school commercial i've seen recently.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm fairly sure I just heard someone in an IHOP commercial say "This has swag!" in reference to a dish.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Excuse me, Applebee's lady, but you can't fist bump yourself. It's like giving yourself a high five, or shaking your own hand.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Nerdfest X posted:

Excuse me, Applebee's lady, but you can't fist bump yourself. It's like giving yourself a high five, or shaking your own hand.

Isn't that the same lady who plays Alice on Workaholics?

I'd like to imagine all those commercials take place when she lost her job at TeleAmeriCorp, and she had to scramble and get a lovely job as a "cook" at Applebee's for a few days.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Gaunab posted:

The Verizon commercial with the brother and sister talking on the first day of school. First off I don't know what it was like everywhere else but we weren't allowed to have our cellphones out during school, let alone have video chats. Second even though the girl doesn't want her brother talking to her, she's having a video conversation with him throughout the school day. It's may be the stupidest back to school commercial i've seen recently.

Ah, the two things I hate about back to school. First, that it starts July 5. Second, that goddamn everything is for back to school, no matter how much of a stretch it may seem.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Capn Beeb posted:

Hey cameraman for the multi-billion $ multi-national company, Don't gently caress around with settings on your camera-tv-recording-machine that you don't know what they are, leave them on "auto" or request you be given a consumer grade camera with auto modes.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I can't believe the number of people who don't realize that it's not the older sister doesn't want to talk to her younger brother, it's that she doesn't want to be seen with her dorky younger brother.

Though I don't know why not, with his COOL NEW PHONE.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
I think Flo has outstayed her welcome by about three years. :wrongful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z89_M4QuX_Y

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SpookyLizard posted:

I can't believe the number of people who don't realize that it's not the older sister doesn't want to talk to her younger brother, it's that she doesn't want to be seen with her dorky younger brother.

Though I don't know why not, with his COOL NEW PHONE.

Either a lot of people here are only children or are willfully ignorant.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

I think Flo has outstayed her welcome by about three years. :wrongful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z89_M4QuX_Y

I knew this was a Progressive commercial, but when there was ANOTHER 5 second commercial to watch a commercial, I closed it out. gently caress that noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Someone filmed an acid trip and turned it into an ice cream commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGvbjAX6gfU

Sorry it appears to be a video recording of someone's TV - that's the only version I could find.