Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Well, I guess I know what I'm not doing tonight. (Sleeping)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Crovie posted:

The all-star series starts tonight (7pm JST, 3am PDT). Game 1 is at Sapporo Dome, the Fighters' home, and Shohei Otani will be getting some time as both a relieving pitcher and an outfielder (He alternates between starting pitcher and RF for the Fighters.)

Please tell me NPB's Commissioner is smart enough not to make home field advantage in the Championship series based on the all-star game (or series).

By the way, how long is Baseball Season in Japan (both in terms of games played and time of year)

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 19, 2013

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

SirPhoebos posted:

Please tell me NPB's Commissioner is smart enough not to make home field advantage in the Championship series based on the all-star game (or series).

By the way, how long is Baseball Season in Japan (both in terms of games played and time of year)

The regular season is 144 games long. The playoffs are 3 rounds (2 rounds of the Climax Series -- first round best-of-3, the second best-of-6 with a 1 game advantage to each league's regular season champ -- followed by the Japan Series). The regular season usually ends slightly after the MLB regular season, with the end of the playoffs stretching into the last weeks of October/early November.

And no, the NPB doesn't do the stupid home-field-advantage bullshit the MLB does with the All-Star Game.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

http://www.justin.tv/gyon_hd607ch#/w/6206656992

The home run derby is about to start. There's a derby before each all-star game between 4 players. The actual game begins in one hour.

Today's contestants are Tony Blanco, Shinnosuke Abe, Andruw Jones, and Sho Nakata.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I love the crowds always. I want to go back to japan.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

One of the semi-final matchups in the HRD just ended. The score was 1-0. Each guy got seven outs.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Andruw Jones got a 1. That's 1-0-1 for the first three guys.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

That was a repeat, the derby ended 30 minutes ago.

5 home runs on 37 swings. Or 2 in 28 if you don't count Blanco. :japan:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

That's right, this game is played in the TokyoDome, which has got to be the only stadium ever built that was inspired by the Minneapolis MetroDome of all places.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

It's in Sapporo Dome actually.

There's a lot of domes in Japan.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Crovie posted:

It's in Sapporo Dome actually.

There's a lot of domes in Japan.
Ah. I thought one of the games each year was in the Tokyo Dome.

EDIT: Japanese commercials are adorable.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Ah. I thought one of the games each year was in the Tokyo Dome.

EDIT: Japanese commercials are adorable.

It's possible. A few teams play games in multiple stadiums.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Japan has advanced past sabermetrics. The next thing is video game stats.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Ohtani's looked pretty good (He's just in for the 5th). Crowd went nuts when he threw 157, haha.

e: as soon as I say that he gives up back to back hits :(

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Daisuke Miura is pitching now. He said before the game that he was going to attempt an 80 km/h curveball, and that he had been practicing.

And he did! A beautiful lob that resulted in a swinging strike. Not sure how fast it really was because it was too slow for the speed tracker -- it was recorded at 22 km/h.

e: And again! This time resulting in a grounder right back to him, and again too slow for the tracker. Surprisingly effective!

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 19, 2013

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 19, 2013

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

That is amazing. Add it here if'n you don't mind.

I really wish it was humanly possibly to lob a 15 mph eephus, but that'll do.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I was thinking the 22 km/h might be just the horizontal component of the velocity, but doing the math, that would take a full 3 seconds to make it to the plate.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

I was thinking the 22 km/h might be just the horizontal component of the velocity, but doing the math, that would take a full 3 seconds to make it to the plate.

Doing the math, the slowest thrown non-forced (no air resistance or magnus force) ball that can still cross the plate under vacuum conditions is 30 mph (about 48 kph) thrown at 45 degrees. Of course, if you add backspin and the typical forces in play you can slow it down to about 27mph.

That pitch looks like it caught the zone better than any of the other eephuses I've seen, like an inside curve.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

http://www.justin.tv/papa3s/

Game 2. Balentien and Nakata combined for 11 home runs in the first heat of the derby.

Ok they must have changed the ball or given them corked bats or something because compared to game 1 this is krazy.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It wouldn't be the first time NPB has done something like that (this year).

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Ok is it just me or do Japanese baseball announcers say そうですね a lot? Its driving me nuts, I can barely watch the games because its just gotten to be distracting. I know its a common thing to say, but literally multiple times every single minute? It's a bit ridiculous, ね?

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...

Sashimi posted:

Ok is it just me or do Japanese baseball announcers say そうですね a lot? Its driving me nuts, I can barely watch the games because its just gotten to be distracting. I know its a common thing to say, but literally multiple times every single minute? It's a bit ridiculous, ね?

Yeah, I know what you mean

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Wladimir Balentien hit his 40th home run in the Swallows' 98th game. Only Sadaharu Oh and Randy Bass reached that mark faster -- both in 97 games.

The NPB record is 55 in one season, infamously held by Oh. It seems like there's a good chance it may be broken, especially as Balentien missed the first 12 games.

Mind you, it'll still be controversial if he does break it, due to the new standard ball.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I guess this is the best place to ask. What's the best way to buy NPB tickets in Japan? Online/through kiosks/at the box office?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Crovie posted:

Wladimir Balentien hit his 40th home run in the Swallows' 98th game. Only Sadaharu Oh and Randy Bass reached that mark faster -- both in 97 games.

The NPB record is 55 in one season, infamously held by Oh. It seems like there's a good chance it may be broken, especially as Balentien missed the first 12 games.

Mind you, it'll still be controversial if he does break it, due to the new standard ball.

If he isn't intentionally walked all the time so he doesn't reach it, aka The Randy Bass Treatment

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Harlock posted:

I guess this is the best place to ask. What's the best way to buy NPB tickets in Japan? Online/through kiosks/at the box office?

We bought ours through http://www.japanball.com/tickets.htm and it was as advertised. Worked out nicely.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Xenophon posted:

If he isn't intentionally walked all the time so he doesn't reach it, aka The Randy Bass Treatment

Since the Swallows are doing so poorly this year, I'd almost think the other teams would let him do it out of pity. Also, Bass had to go up against Oh managing the Giants and explicitly calling for IBBs to preserve his own record.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

SporkOfTruth posted:

Since the Swallows are doing so poorly this year, I'd almost think the other teams would let him do it out of pity. Also, Bass had to go up against Oh managing the Giants and explicitly calling for IBBs to preserve his own record.

Sure, but...Randy Bass isn't the only white player to face the Randy Bass Treatment. Though I think the others (Alex Cabrera and whoever else) also faced Oh. But maybe, then, it's not a coincidence :tinfoil:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

We bought ours through http://www.japanball.com/tickets.htm and it was as advertised. Worked out nicely.
Seems like he adds a pretty hefty $59 fee. Looks like there's some kiosks you can buy them at like Lawsons for face value.

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Harlock posted:

Seems like he adds a pretty hefty $59 fee. Looks like there's some kiosks you can buy them at like Lawsons for face value.
You can do just about anything at Lawsons, so I'm sure that's a reasonable option too. drat I miss konbinis. :(

There were a few reasons why we went with that site instead of winging it/Lawsons/etc though. We went to the first home Giants game after the all-star break and I think those games were selling out pretty fast – the lines on game day for tickets turned out to be ridiculously long and in a lovely summer rainstorm. We also ordered 3 tickets, so $59 split three ways for hotel delivery while we were out doing stuff wasn't terrible.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
So if anyone happens to be watching the Marines tonight and notices two very lost looking folks sitting on the third base line, I'm the hatless one. Pretty excited about seeing my first Japanese game, heck its just exciting seeing a game in a proper outdoor ballpark considering all but one pro baseball game I've seen has been inside Rogers Centre...

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Well you sure picked a hell of a game to go to.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 14, 2013

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Indeed, haven't had that much fun at a ballgame in ages!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Harlock posted:

If you're going to a non-Tigers / Giants game (or even going to them but on a weekday), if you know any Japanese you can probably just buy them at the box office. Even if you don't, you can point at upper deck. Bear in mind the kiosk will probably only take cash, no card. I've gotten upper deck seats at the Nagoya Dome (where the Dragons play) for like 1500 yen a couple of times. I also heard you can buy tickets at 7-11s but I've never done that before.

Also, a word of advice: avoid the burgers at stadiums. Get noodles instead. The Nagoya dome had a deal for noodles & fries with a large beer for like 800 yen. It owned.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Thanks for the tips. That's what we figured on doing, to go to the box office/ticket kiosk the day of or a little bit before. Was honestly hoping to see Chiba or Yokohama, but the Swallows stadium looks neat too. Hiroshima's stadium looks too much like MLB and Hanshin is too far out of the way from where we'll be. I thought a Giants game may be neat too, but probably the craziest/most expensive.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Go here is you want to watch Japanese high schoolers throw 200 pitch games! (Summer Koshien)

http://koshien.asahi.co.jp/live/live.html

e: Have a schedule for the whole tournament too.
http://yakyubaka.com/2013/08/05/852013-95th-summer-koshien-schedules-for-the-tournament/

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 15, 2013

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Tonight at Koshien: The pitcher from 鳴門高校 (Naruto High School) has thrown 120+ pitches by the 8th inning, and they are winning 12-1.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Marines vs. Lions is a slaughter. 15-0 after the 3rd.

The Lions made a pitching change with the bases loaded, 1 out. The guy who came in gave up two grand slams in the inning :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

he was like damn.
WLADIMIR "COCO" BALENTIEN HAS HIT HIS 56TH DINGER OF THE SEASON! He's now the single season HR king of NPB!

e: A gif of the event:
http://i.minus.com/i0WQmvVO3UK0e.gif

SporkOfTruth fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 15, 2013

• Locked thread