Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

DisposableHero posted:

Emperor Gestahl will always be a dog man.
I always used to think his mustache and mouth were a gigantic eyeball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
I'm looking for an armchair economist to explain to me why rare Genesis games are orders of magnitude cheaper than equally rare NES and SNES games. For example, I picked up the Genesis version of Double Dragon for $20, thinking it was a steal, but $20 is actually pretty close to what it's worth. I also own John Madden Football '93 Championship Edition--a rental store exclusive--but that's worth not much more than $20 either. The cheapness of sports games notwithstanding, it's hard to imagine that a rental store exclusive for other consoles like the NES would go for so low a price. What gives? Do collectors just not care about the Genesis?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

I'm looking for an armchair economist to explain to me why rare Genesis games are orders of magnitude cheaper than equally rare NES and SNES games. For example, I picked up the Genesis version of Double Dragon for $20, thinking it was a steal, but $20 is actually pretty close to what it's worth. I also own John Madden Football '93 Championship Edition--a rental store exclusive--but that's worth not much more than $20 either. The cheapness of sports games notwithstanding, it's hard to imagine that a rental store exclusive for other consoles like the NES would go for so low a price. What gives? Do collectors just not care about the Genesis?

Because Sega does what Nintendon't, in this case be affordable decades later.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

My armchair economist analysis:

Sega no longer exists as a console manufacturer. This might be the same reason no one really cares about Atari stuff that much. People who are 8 years old today are familiar with the Nintendo brand. I doubt a kid today has even heard of the name "Sega" before. I was in a store the other day and some kid was looking at iPhone cases and he picked one up that looks like a Game Boy and said to his mom "look mom! The original Game Boy!". He was no older than 10. How he has any idea what the Game Boy was, I have no clue. But kids into video games today are apparently reading up on old video game history.

Also Sega had absolutely no presence in the 8-bit days in the USA, so people are fonder of the NES. The Genesis was huge in the USA, but most people were in their teens when they got their Genesis, so the NES has the nostalgia factor. As for why SNES games would be worth more, the only thing I could think of is the level of quality. You can get plenty of crap SNES games for under $5. But those expensive SNES games are some of the best games ever made on any platform, ever.

I don't think the Genesis ever really had a Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy 6, Yoshi's Island or hell, even a Suikoden and that's why the prices aren't that crazy for the system. Mortal Kombat 3 on the Genesis fetches pretty much the same price the SNES one does.

univbee posted:

I love how even Nintendo themselves don't have a mint condition guide (you can see some fading in the letters "ART" on the cover), although in fairness theirs does look pretty drat good.

Yeah seriously. The fact that Nintendo doesn't have access to printing off copies of their old manuals or even magazines whenever they want is insane. Surely PDF, or some format to store image/print data in digital form existed in 1995.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 19, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

Cultural nostalgia has a HUGE influence on what the collector's market is like, and this seems to have a lot more to do with the general image of the console itself, with the individual games themselves being secondary. Like, equally rare NES and Sega Master System games, in terms of units sold, will always go for crazy money on NES and comparatively very little on the Sega Master System. This is especially true of Nintendo's various systems and I think you see this a lot in how their marketing seems to target the two extremes of super-casual (with family-friendly titles, relatively low hardware price point and easy controls) and the super-hardcore (can you even name a game on a non-Nintendo platform that did the "we sell only as pre-order" thing Xenoblade Chronicles and Super Mario All-Stars Wii did?). Focusing on the super-hardcore side of things, Nintendo is all about limited collectible stuff. Their Nintendo Club coins program has those really rare "you have to amass 600 coins in a year" items requiring to buy not just a game a month, but a game a month that's actually redeemable for coins (quite a few aren't), and you have to fill out a survey. Hell, Game Center CX, the retro show almost single-handedly responsible for the rise in cost of some Famicom stuff, has the whole "blowing in cartridge" thing as a signature move, something the virtual console specially does NOT replicate and having a weird sense of nostalgia unto itself. Basically every Nintendo system has at least a handful of games that are over $100 complete, and almost all of them are first-party titles. Comparatively, I think there's only one PS1 game that commands those kinds of prices (Suikoden 2), and I'm not sure there are any that get into the triple digits on PS2 (even .hack I think is usually $50-$80 for a single complete game).

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I don't think the Genesis ever really had a Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy 6, Yoshi's Island or hell, even a Suikoden and that's why the prices aren't that crazy for the system. Mortal Kombat 3 on the Genesis fetches pretty much the same price the SNES one does.

Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force 2, Landstalker and Wonder Boy in Monster World would like to have a word with you :colbert:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

flyboi posted:

Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force 2, Landstalker and Wonder Boy in Monster World would like to have a word with you :colbert:

I think you just proved his point.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

zenintrude posted:

I think you just proved his point.

But they were just as good as any SNES RPG :saddowns: hell in my opinion I think Shining Force 2 was the best SRPG of the 16 bit generation. I'd go as far as to put Phantasy Star IV above most of the Square big name titles as well. I think the only ones that were better would be like Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger... maybe Seiken Densetsu 3 or Super Mario RPG but tough call.

Nobody understands my Sega love :cry:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

eBay loose cart price (my lowest buy it now prices shipped to :canada:)
Phantasy Star IV - $33
Shining Force 2 - $36
Landstalker - $16
Wonder Boy in Monster World - $25

Total cost: $110

Now let's try SNES!

Chrono Trigger - $103 (1 game in and we're already basically at the same price as all four Genesis games!)
Earthbound - $242
Final Fantasy III - $67
Yoshi's Island - $32

Total cost: $444

VV Supply and demand. And :retrogames:

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 19, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Numbers don't lie, SNES is better.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

eBay loose cart price (my lowest buy it now prices shipped to :canada:)
Phantasy Star IV - $33
Shining Force 2 - $36
Landstalker - $16
Wonder Boy in Monster World - $25

Total cost: $110

Now let's try SNES!

Chrono Trigger - $103 (1 game in and we're already basically at the same price as all four Genesis games!)
Earthbound - $242
Final Fantasy III - $67
Yoshi's Island - $32

Total cost: $444

Earthbound is unfair for comparison.

If we're just going to go by absurd cart prices and not the actual game then I demand you re-run your numbers with Saturn instead and use Panzer Dragoon Saga US, Radiant Silvergun JP, Hyper Duel JP and Shining Force 3 US. :shepface:

Also I think a lot of the price difference is how SNES games it wasn't feasible to keep CIB really while Genesis were pretty much made for that with the plastic clamshells. That reduces the rarity of OMG CIB so instead of having such huge differences in priced tiers it keeps the cost down.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

zari-gani posted:

I was watching someone play it. I haven't played it yet myself, though I plan to eventually.

Its on steam now for cheap so that makes it pretty accessible if you don't wanna hook up the ole PSX.

Also SNES is the poo poo. :colbert:

That said I just picked up Shining Force and its pretty impressive. But I own like 8 genesis games and like 50 SNES games so that kinda says something...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

Earthbound is unfair for comparison.

If we're just going to go by absurd cart prices and not the actual game then I demand you re-run your numbers with Saturn instead and use Panzer Dragoon Saga US, Radiant Silvergun JP, Hyper Duel JP and Shining Force 3 US. :shepface:

Found a Panzer Dragoon Saga BIN for $190 + $40 international shipping. Bad news: it`s just for the (cracked) case and instruction manual. Lowest BIN I found with all four discs was over $400 after everything.

Radiant Silvergun and Hyper Duel I would just loving go to Japan and buy from local shops, found a shop selling a used RS for 49 yen on Rakuten :v:. No such luck with Hyper Duel, though, best I could find was 18300 yen.

SF3 was $117 disc only.

I wonder how different game companies would respond if you sent them a money order for the SRP of the game adjusted for inflation, strongly implying that you're playing a copy of the game out of necessity.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
It'd be nice if companies sold you roms or licences to use roms for abandonware games.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Kreeblah posted:

Looks like KRIKzz has the SD2SNES in stock on his store, if anybody's been trying to get one.

Ok after waiting a few days those fuckers are still in stock so I think I've got no choice but to get one now. I've been tossing around the idea of getting either a 64 or snes flash cart...and now of course :retrogames: I'm thinking about just getting both. I don't want this to turn into another GBA flash cart situation where they are impossible to find.

I want to play some Goldeneye hacks but really I've got most of the more expensive n64 games and definitely got the more expensive fun ones I'd ever want. But...I'll probably never get a hold of Sculptor's cut and I've gotta play with those additional characters at some point on legit hardware.

SNES wise it's obvious why anyone would want it. I'm really pumped about all of the transalted/patched games that are available. AND (even though I'd never do it but at least I can say it's an option) if times are tough I could sell some of the more expensive games I own and still be cool.

-- -- and I've bought an SD2SNES without a shell. It's probably going to go in a Rise of the Robots or Wheel of Fortune shell.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 19, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tyson Tomko posted:

Ok after waiting a few days those fuckers are still in stock so I think I've got no choice but to get one now. I've been tossing around the idea of getting either a 64 or snes flash cart...and now of course :retrogames: I'm thinking about just getting both. I don't want this to turn into another GBA flash cart situation where they are impossible to find.

This is what I like most about krikzz's products. I feel like he'll never stop making them as long as there's a steady supply of interested parties. Maybe he should start making GB/GBA carts...

Also in krikzz news, looks like he's nearing being able to supply a case for the Famicom-sized N8.

I also updated the DATs a little bit ago once again, completely redoing the NES ROMs in the N64 DATs so I'm reasonably confident only working games are there now (I checked it against a list I found of the supposed working mappers); also updated the NES DATs with ROMs that do battery saves of your high scores in games like Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. I'll probably take these DATs to the Krikzz forums this weekend.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Tyson Tomko posted:

-- and I've bought an SD2SNES without a shell. It's probably going to go in a Rise of the Robots or Wheel of Fortune shell.

Whatever donor cartridge you use make sure it has the extra chip slots on the bottom like so

otherwise the pcb won't fit.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Thanks for the heads up I didn't realize that. I'm at work now so I can't go through my games, but can you think of any of those extra chip ones off the top of your head? Preferably something Wheel of Fortune caliber. I know I've got a few SFC games like this but really don't want to use one of those unless I have to.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Tyson Tomko posted:

Thanks for the heads up I didn't realize that. I'm at work now so I can't go through my games, but can you think of any of those extra chip ones off the top of your head? Preferably something Wheel of Fortune caliber. I know I've got a few SFC games like this but really don't want to use one of those unless I have to.

Any on this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips#List_of_Super_NES_games_that_use_enhancement_chips

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
That's going to make it tough...but PGA Tour 96 is looking pretty good to me so far. Thanks again.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Tyson Tomko posted:

That's going to make it tough...but PGA Tour 96 is looking pretty good to me so far. Thanks again.

Stunt Race FX is the standard choice as it's good to get more of those out of circulation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yeah seriously. The fact that Nintendo doesn't have access to printing off copies of their old manuals or even magazines whenever they want is insane. Surely PDF, or some format to store image/print data in digital form existed in 1995.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo of Japan still has all the original stuff in Japanese, but had Nintendo of America get rid of their English language versions after they stopped printing them.

It seems like exactly the kind of weird thing they reportedly have done.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Tyson Tomko posted:

I'm really pumped about all of the transalted/patched games that are available.

I'm a bit annoyed about say, the N64 for this reason. There are basically no translations that exist, except for Wonder Project J2. Then again, I guess nothing is really enticing to translate. The only other translation that exists is for Sin and Punishment, except that it's not a romhack. It uses texture replacement features on N64 emulators to replace the final rendered text textures with translated textures, so it can only ever be used on emulators.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

zenintrude posted:

Stunt Race FX is the standard choice as it's good to get more of those out of circulation.

You already have to cut a hole for the SD card, right? Why not just file out the bottom of Fifa 96?

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

OK thread, you've been waving me over to the deep end of the pool for awhile now with your pictures of incredible set-ups and your posts full of amazing information that I never knew, and today I dipped my toe in the water with a retrozone adapter for my Genesis Fighter Stick SG-6.

Before I cannonball in, I'd just like to ask a few quick questions:

I already own a near-launch US Saturn from when I was in 5th grade. It's the model with the oval buttons, and its internal CMOS battery is dead (I have to set the date to not-1995 etc. everytime it turns on).

If I'd like to start rebuilding my library with both domestics and imports, would the following model be a good choice? I presume this would not play US/PAL games, so I'd need an action pack or other memory card to play those. (Retrogames region-free Saturn is out of stock currently.) http://www.retrogames.co.uk/more/on/details/005047

Or should I just stick with what I have, replace the CMOS and buy a card for imports? I'm aware of the disc-swap method and modchips, but I'd rather use a mega memory card or similar if those work for convenience reasons.

Thanks for any suggestions. I have most of the major titles for the system, like Guardian Heroes, NiGHTS + controller, both Virtua Cops with the packaged orange lightgun, SCUD, and there even used to be a complete Panzer Dragoon Saga box here before I sold it almost 10 years ago for $175 on eBay so that dumb highschool me could buy mushrooms (incidentally leading to the most terrifying game of the original Deus Ex I have ever played).

I basically have the remnants of a retro gaming collection started, including a Genesis Model 2, Game Gear, GBC, Atari 2600, PSX, Saturn, Wii, Xbox and so on, from when I bought all those systems new minus the 2600. There's also still a 32" Sony Trinitron in our living room. The only reason this post is not me simply copy-pasting :retrogames: over and over is because I couldn't find the smiley code until just now.

TheMammoth fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 19, 2013

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I mean I grew up with NES, but I'm also super-nostalgic for the Genesis. My neighbor and friend was a Vietnamese kid and we would spend all day Saturday playing his mountain of genesis games while his family cooked up these amazing Vietnamese meals. My biggest regret is being a picky kid who would only eat the egg rolls.

Anyway, cheap genesis prices work out for me.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TheMammoth posted:

OK thread, you've been waving me over to the deep end of the pool for awhile now with your pictures of incredible set-ups and your posts full of amazing information that I never knew, and today I dipped my toe in the water with a retrozone adapter for my Genesis Fighter Stick SG-6.

Before I cannonball in, I'd just like to ask a few quick questions:

I already own a near-launch US Saturn from when I was in 5th grade. It's the model with the oval buttons, and its internal CMOS battery is dead (I have to set the date to not-1995 etc. everytime it turns on).

If I'd like to start rebuilding my library with both domestics and imports, would the following model be a good choice? I presume this would not play US/PAL games, so I'd need an action pack or other memory card to play those. (Retrogames region-free Saturn is out of stock currently.) http://www.retrogames.co.uk/more/on/details/005047

Or should I just stick with what I have, replace the CMOS and buy a card for imports? I'm aware of the disc-swap method and modchips, but I'd rather use a mega memory card or similar if those work for convenience reasons.

Thanks for any suggestions. I have most of the major titles for the system, like Guardian Heroes, NiGHTS + controller, both Virtua Cops with the packaged orange lightgun, SCUD, and there even used to be a complete Panzer Dragoon Saga box here before I sold it almost 10 years ago for $175 on eBay so that dumb highschool me could buy mushrooms (incidentally leading to the most terrifying game of the original Deus Ex I have ever played).

I basically have the remnants of a retro gaming collection started, including a Genesis Model 2, Game Gear, GBC, Atari 2600, PSX, Saturn, Wii, Xbox and so on, from when I bought all those systems new minus the 2600. There's also still a 32" Sony Trinitron in our living room. The only reason this post is not me simply copy-pasting :retrogames: over and over is because I couldn't find the smiley code until just now.

Believe it or not, but having a mod chip on the Saturn does not get around the region checking.

I too find that the CMOS battery is really bad in the Saturn and I have to set the date pretty much once every other month.

the wizards beard posted:

You already have to cut a hole for the SD card, right? Why not just file out the bottom of Fifa 96?

This! I just shaved a small spot where the extra cart pins go. Very easy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

univbee posted:

This is what I like most about krikzz's products. I feel like he'll never stop making them as long as there's a steady supply of interested parties. Maybe he should start making GB/GBA carts...

He should start making both, as the market is currently dry as hell for them and im sure he could completely corner the market.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

He should start making both, as the market is currently dry as hell for them and im sure he could completely corner the market.

Especially if they were drag-n-drop.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

Random Stranger posted:

As a coaster, sure.

I wish it were okay to empty quote because drat.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Technowrite posted:

I wish it were okay to empty quote because drat.

With that avatar, I'm not sure anyone could justify probating you.

But seriously, diff'rent strokes v:haw:v

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

Wait is it too late to change my answer to just this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsPpsvCde-g

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
^^^Nope, that pretty much sums it up.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

the wizards beard posted:

Yeah I think I'm going with this approach and Rise of the Robots or Wheel of Fortune not sure which one yet. I'll slyly dremel it out and should be in good shape.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Wait is it too late to change my answer to just this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsPpsvCde-g

wtf did I just watch? I couldn't make it past a minute and fourty seconds.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Trey Parker of South Park fame name dropped Earthbound at San Diego Comicon. I only hope it means the Wii U version gets a nice signal boost to Nintendo's soft announcement. 24 hours later and I still haven't received an email.

Trey Parker posted:

"We're big gamers and I think what was inspiring the game was a lot more lofty than what we could pull off. I was a big fan of it and what I kept thinking in my mind was EarthBound. I haven't played it again in forever, but I just remember something being about 'Oh wow, I'm a little kid in a house and there's my mom and I go outside my house and am fighting like an ant and a little mouse.' It started out feeling so real. I kept having in my head 'do I really want [South Park: The Stick of Truth] to feel like that you are a little kid and you're playing this game and bigger poo poo ends up happening.' But I really loved that feeling that EarthBound had of I'm a cute little kid in my neighborhood and we're running around playing a game.'"

Risky
May 18, 2003

There's an SM11 serial # super famicom on eBay. It's not a 1chip but has the sns rgb2 chip I believe. Is it worth to get if all I want is S-video quality atm? Basically is it the second best to a 1chip that are impossible to find ?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Risky posted:

There's an SM11 serial # super famicom on eBay. It's not a 1chip but has the sns rgb2 chip I believe. Is it worth to get if all I want is S-video quality atm? Basically is it the second best to a 1chip that are impossible to find ?

There really isn't a "second best". Yes, there is a huge improvement in using a 1CHIP even with s-video.

al-azad posted:

Trey Parker of South Park fame name dropped Earthbound at San Diego Comicon. I only hope it means the Wii U version gets a nice signal boost to Nintendo's soft announcement. 24 hours later and I still haven't received an email.

That's awesome. I remember reading an article with Trey Parker and he was making GBS threads on Nintendo pretty bad, something like "we play XBox and Playstation in the office, none of that Nintendo garbage here". And come to think of it, Earthbound really does remind me of South Park.

Still kind of cool to see someone "mainstream" acknowledge Earthbound.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Due to some overtime I had a 2 hour lunch today. I took that opportunity to hit up a few resale shops across town. Goodwill was a bust only having Silent Scope for PS2 and some Genesis sports games.

The last shop I went to I got some good poo poo for $4.50. I got a 3 drawer cassette holder with a wooden flat top for my loose Genesis/Famicom games for $4. I am really excited about this thing and can't wait to get to organizing my poo poo again.

I then found Namco Museum vol 1 'N' (I have N and M now woohoo) and Harvest Moon: Back to Nature on playstation. Namco was disc only and Harvest moon had all but the front jewel paper dealio. These suckers were $0.25 each so hell yes. They've got scratches but I've seen more scratched games work fine, so we'll see. If my phone wasn't dead I'd take some pics but it'll have to wait until tonight.

-- The cassette thing is in my car now but I'm pretty sure it's the same as this one. It should fit perfectly on a lower shelf AND I can put another shelf on top of it and get a free shelf.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Back to Nature is a good game that you should play.

• Locked thread