Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Can we get a link to this?

It was in this thread http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?609073-Lend-Me-Your-Ears-The-Audio-of-Total-War-ROME-II Prometheus was going on about how the Mark Strong's character was based on some dead guy(The fan who died and was made into a character for the Carthage battle) and how it was disrespectful, Will CA corrected him and asked him to have some human decency and asked him to get out of the thread, unfortunately the mods have removed all this while Prometheus still isn't banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Why do CA post on that site again?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

concerned mom posted:

Why do CA post on that site again?

Institutional masochism. Those poor employees drew the short straw or pissed someone off.

So I just installed EB and holy poo poo what the heck is going on??? How does it work???

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Grand Prize Winner posted:

So I just installed EB and holy poo poo what the heck is going on??? How does it work???

What do you mean? I'm in the middle of my Rome campaign and have just finished conquering Greece and moving onto Turkey but I still need to deal with Carthage in North Africa who is DoWing me every other turn.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
What exactly is the problem?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I mean like how can you tell which buildings allow you to recruit which troops and what is all this Latin poo poo? And when I tried to google stuff it always pointed me to threads on the Europa Barbarorum forums where someone asked a question and got a bunch of 'heh read the manual, pleb :agesilaus:' snark from the devs.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

I mean like how can you tell which buildings allow you to recruit which troops and what is all this Latin poo poo? And when I tried to google stuff it always pointed me to threads on the Europa Barbarorum forums where someone asked a question and got a bunch of 'heh read the manual, pleb :agesilaus:' snark from the devs.

The buildings should tell you they can recruit units though sometimes you need to build requisite government buildings before they become available. Just check the descriptions, most of the buildings are pretty simple to understand and mainly just provide bonuses to happiness or trade like vanilla.

It's all in Latin because the makers of the mod masturbate over History textbooks and complain to CA when things aren't accurate enough.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I started up a Romani campaign and looked at ever single building description in the building browser, and not a one had a single unit it could produce. And yet the city had like five units available to produce.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

I started up a Romani campaign and looked at ever single building description in the building browser, and not a one had a single unit it could produce. And yet the city had like five units available to produce.

That building browser is missing a poo poo-ton of buildings, just look in Roma itself.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your first mistake was installing EB. :v:

But really, EB has a learning curve about as forgiving as Dwarf Fortress. It explains almost nothing to you, and as Thom said all a bunch of elements are missing/broken so it's even harder to find that information! I also found it to just be an incredibly painful slog. I wanted to play a Casse game, and the 'official' strategy guide I found on the EB forums had something along the lines of "disband your navy and the majority of your units so you're not in debt. Then camp for 50 turns until you can afford an army." Fun. :rolleyes:

EB is definitely a very ambitious mod, but not something I wouldn't recommend it unless you're either starving for a forced history lesson or willing to read a shitload of documentation.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Stables, archery ranges and barracks have been condensed into two buildings that recruit units. One is factional and the other is local. All units have provinces where they may or may not be recruited, but generally you can count on easy stuff like hoplites in Greece or archers in Persia. Generally, anywhere there is a "homeland" building in the browser, you will be able to recruit factional units.

The most important buildings are those government type buildings with the roman numerals. The higher the number, the more buildings you can make in that province. It also limits the level of recruitment center you can construct. These government buildings are themselves limited by the "Homeland/Expansion" resources in the province. I.E, the Macedonians can't build advanced government buildings in Arabia.

The IV level of government, allied state, causes the town to get hosed up if a family member enters the town. You need to recruit a general, and only they can govern that province.

The EB forums have a lot of documentation about the minutiae of the game. There are a ton of scripts in-game that need to get triggered in order for things to get shook up. For example, the Marian reforms that are insanely powerful and give the Romans recruitable legions practically everywhere require some seriously baller family members.

Make sure to enable the EB script, btw.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
At the end of the day, if you just want to build a lot of poo poo and see units, cheat and give yourself cash, and construct buildings endlessly. EB is a mod where its strength is in the detail and diversity of buildings and units, but the mod seems to do its best to prevent you from seeing it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Just experiencing my first REALM DIVIDE :derp:

I've got the west of the map locked down, but money's getting tight and if anyone lands an army via the sea, I'm boned. :ohdear:

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

canyoneer posted:

Just experiencing my first REALM DIVIDE :derp:

I've got the west of the map locked down, but money's getting tight and if anyone lands an army via the sea, I'm boned. :ohdear:

You need to make yourself a vassal ASAP, it will help put koku back into your coffers!

Make sure to get a trade agreement with the vassal!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
See I am fairly sure that the boats can teleport, so start building up a reserve army of Ashigaru units to act as a "crisis response team", at worst the enemy will take two castles and then when your force arrives you can just kill them in the field or let them besiege you.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Josef bugman posted:

See I am fairly sure that the boats can teleport...

Boats can't teleport. The only boats that spawn are the Wako Pirates and the Black Ship, neither of which carry armies.

Nevertheless, some form of rearguard defensive position that can stop a breakthrough rear attack is always a good idea, even if it is mainly Ashigaru.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh god what is going on :ohdear:

Mans fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 18, 2013

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Oh god what is going on

You're ripe for an inquisition.

Classic Med 2 blunder. No one ever wants to upgrade churches until their land is overrun with heretics, sorcerers, and witches.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mans posted:

Momentum is key when fighting heretics in M2TW. If the priests you send can't beat the heretic in a theological face-off or outconvert them, it's quite likely they will also go heretic. Cardinals are immune to going heretic though, so you can send them in with only the risk of them losing ability score if they pick up a "bad vs heretics" trait.

Best advice is go CK2 on those fuckers and get :ese:ing.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Mans posted:

Sometimes conversion just doesn't work. And you can never have enough meat to train assassins with :ninja:

toasterwarrior posted:

Best advice is go CK2 on those fuckers and get :ese:ing.

:ninja:'d

I've heard you can also surround a really stubborn enemy agent on all 8 sides with military units, then move a 9th one onto their square to insta-kill them as well but I've never tried, personally.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 18, 2013

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
If your assassins aren't a high enough level to knock off those heretics, train them up by having them assassinate the captains of rebel armies. Or even the captains of enemy armies in the field if you can't find any rebels, but there's usually some rebels milling around somewhere in your territory.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Mans posted:

Everyone's favorite part of playing HRE in Stainless Steel. Heretic priests are goddamn zombies- their numbers grow with each priest you send to denounce them.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Mans posted:

M-M-Monster Kill by that Cardinal in the lower left is going on.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

M-M-Monster Kill by that Cardinal in the lower left is going on.

Exactly the opposite, I think. Five priests have been turned into Protestants.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
New rally point with some info about the Suebi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMVB2UYs9ys and some of the achievements in Rome 2 http://imgur.com/a/3Ifwv .

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Thanks for the video. That guy is insufferable but the campaign map looks pretty sweet (and huuuuge).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What on Earth did CA see in him? He's irritating, brash, loud and unseemly. I can't believe they've hired some meme-spouting, typical 14 year old 4Channer: "That means we can ROFLSTAMP the campaign!" gently caress. Off.

Brilliant video, but I wish the guy explaining it wasn't some god-awful man-child.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Loopoo posted:

What on Earth did CA see in him? He's irritating, brash, loud and unseemly. I can't believe they've hired some meme-spouting, typical 14 year old 4Channer: "That means we can ROFLSTAMP the campaign!" gently caress. Off.

Brilliant video, but I wish the guy explaining it wasn't some god-awful man-child.

I think (hope) that the dude's one of the devs or something, not just a guy they hired on for PR. And over-the-top channerism aside you can tell he's excited as heck.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I think (hope) that the dude's one of the devs or something, not just a guy they hired on for PR. And over-the-top channerism aside you can tell he's excited as heck.

I genuinely can't stand him. I have to force myself to get through an episode. I'm interested in the features, but can't bear the way he talks or goes on.

I really wish CA would get someone less abrasive, it'd make watching this a lot easier. Thanks to him and his motley crew of hyperactive, ADHD manchildren, I have only watched 2 episodes out of the 15. I'm hyped as heck for this game, and I hate that this guy is the main narrator in all these videos.

It's laughable how badly he fails at pronouncing words. Is he severely dyslexic? It seems the only thing he's good for is mindlessly spewing "funny memes!!1!" and acting like an irrepressible child.

He's got a cult following on YouTube, other fellow heavy metal fans who stick up for his unfunny jokes and irritating mannerisms.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Anyone care to give us the upshot of the video, to spare us from him?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

brocretin posted:

Anyone care to give us the upshot of the video, to spare us from him?

- They showed the Region and Provinces feature. Conquering the provinces lets you govern the entire region as one.
- Showed a cool map feature that allows you to zoom out and see a sort of tactical overview of the entire campaign map, with provinces clearly marked out.
- New agent unit called a Scout. From what the Ginger guy said, it supposedly acts like an Assassin and can sneak around, though I feel he was misinformed. It probably just allows you to scout out? Perhaps give a campaign movement bonus like in Shogun 2 (when you add a Ninja to your army).
- You can expand cities and they dynamically improve. From what the Ginger guy said, it's supposedly random, meaning each game, cities expand in different directions, so your kingdom feels unique each time you play through.

That's all I can remember. You missed out on a tonne of epic funny memes, though. Some obscure references to his love for metal, which is clearly demonstrated by his horrible hair and general lack of hygiene.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Suebi start out with infantry generals; their starting armies consist of club infantry, spearmen, and javelins. The campaign map is huge. Nice models. I got that information without really paying attention to what he was saying, so consider watching the video with the sound off.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Loopoo posted:

He's got a cult following on YouTube, other fellow heavy metal fans who stick up for his unfunny jokes and irritating mannerisms.

So he's unfunny and popular on Youtube? Why am I not even slightly surprised?

Still, this campaign map. :allears: Some of those achievements are interesting as well. Some of them though, like the Greece one, are hilariously specific. Granted it does shed some interesting light on the mechanics, such as achievements for continuing to be a republic after a civil war, and for assassinating your own family members. Sounds like there's quite a bit more to Rome than just killing everything and expanding. Granted I haven't really been following this game as much as I should be, so this might all be old news. :v:

Still, interesting stuff.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Club infantry? :getin:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Club infantry? :getin:

Can't wait to smash me some bones. I hope this means we can capture more enemies alive and sell them into slavery or something.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Is the prisoner system returning?

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Loopoo posted:

Can't wait to smash me some bones. I hope this means we can capture more enemies alive and sell them into slavery or something.

It'll be just like Mount & Blade! :swoon:

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
As irritating as he is, he's still right about the banner cloth interacting with the stand as it gets moved by the wind being a neat touch. Also why is this still £45 on Greenmangaming? Even with the 25% discount they have it's still more than the £30 on Steam, and as far as I can tell they're identical with the Greek States pack. GMG's usually on the ball about beating Steam preorder prices.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Profanity posted:

As irritating as he is, he's still right about the banner cloth interacting with the stand as it gets moved by the wind being a neat touch. Also why is this still £45 on Greenmangaming? Even with the 25% discount they have it's still more than the £30 on Steam, and as far as I can tell they're identical with the Greek States pack. GMG's usually on the ball about beating Steam preorder prices.

It's £30 across the pond? :psyduck: We're getting it for $60 on Steam, same as every other release around here, so that GMG sale is a goddamn godsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

brocretin posted:

It's £30 across the pond? :psyduck: We're getting it for $60 on Steam, same as every other release around here, so that GMG sale is a goddamn godsend.
Yeah, digital PC games are one of the few areas where we don't get screwed over here. Can expect to usually pay the equivalent of about £22/$33 for a game with GMG type discounts.