Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

S-Alpha posted:

Oh boy, Mike and Jay went to go see Grown Ups 2. Needless to say, they really loved it, and thought it deserved its spot at the box office.
That's the best thing they've done in a while.

edit: So the mental decline they go through is

1.) Apologetic Critics
2.) lovely 'Enthusiast Press' PR Critics
3.) Too stupid to function
4.) Adam Sandler Fans

Did I miss any of the stages?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Mutation posted:

That's the best thing they've done in a while.

edit: So the mental decline they go through is

1.) Apologetic Critics
2.) lovely 'Enthusiast Press' PR Critics
3.) Too stupid to function
4.) Adam Sandler Fans

Did I miss any of the stages?

Yeah: 5.) Zalgo

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Would be nice if they stop with Half in the Bag for a bit and whack out another Plinket essay. Too many reviews/discussions with a couple of friends just jabbering on about what they just watched and not a whole lot of thesis grade dissection. Is there anyone else that does anything with the same kind of depth and breath as the Plinket videos? Preferably nothing in the TGWTG circle.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 21, 2014

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Terminal Entropy posted:

Would be nice if they stop with Half in the Bag for a bit and whack out another Plinket essay. Too many reviews/discussions with a couple of friends just jabbering on about what they just watched and not a whole lot of thesis grade dissection. Is there anyone else that does anything with the same kind of depth and breath as the Plinket videos? Preferably nothing in the TGWTG circle.
A while back (in some Into Darkness video) they asked viewers to write in the comments what movie Plinkett should review next. There has also been a lull in video output, and they said that a lot of content is coming.

So maybe Plinkett is imminent?

edit: Might also be a Spacecop thing.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 17, 2013

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

achillesforever6 posted:

Watch their Jack and Jill review, it really breaks down the massive scam that Adam Sandler is pulling on the general audience.

I'm a huge fan of RLM, but their Jack and Jill review is one of the absolute best tearings-down of how Hollywood functions. 80 million to make that piece of poo poo. 80 million dollars. Just remember that.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Terminal Entropy posted:

First thing that comes to mind is This guy, who even rips off Mr Plinkett as an opening joke. He mostly does videogame stuff and his updates are pretty sporadic at best, not to mention he did quite a few videos about the Mass Effect 3 ending which I thought were pretty well done.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jesto posted:

Doug and Robb, despite reviewing movies for a living, somehow don't know what The Hero's Journey is. :stare: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/specials/39965-the-last-airbender-vlogs-crossroads-of-destiny

The Hero's Journey didn't begin with Star Wars and everything that uses The Hero's Journey formula doesn't have to be an homage of a ripoff to Star Wars. :mad:

They specifically mentioned Joseph Campbell and the monomyth though. Also that other movies have done it and it dates back to people telling stories around the fire. Star Wars is just their go to example apparently.

I'd much rather watch Rob do Avatar vlogs though, he doesn't seem to miss obvious spell it out to you themes and information.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Jesto posted:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi...e-rings-moments

Let's see, inserting the whole "Sam and Frodo showed unwavering loyalty, friendship and kindness towards one another! Men don't act that way! That's romance, which means gay!" thing that dictates that male friends can only treat each other so well before they have to be gay. And then "Eagles! Stop making up excuses why they couldn't use them!", even though the eagles couldn't have fought off all the ringwraith flying dragon monsters - especially with the Ringwrath Leader still alive.

That was a fairly annoying top 11. Though I'm fairly sure he chose that title and those specific complaints to incite nerdrage for more hits. I'm more disappointed than anything that he went down the 'gay' route.

How much nerd-rage will this incite? I don't know if I can even watch this if it's so pandering and stupid to stoop to going to call Sam and Frodo gay and using such a recycled opinion of "just use the eagles" or "just use Tom Bombadil" (I know he's not in the movie).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jesto posted:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi...e-rings-moments

Let's see, inserting the whole "Sam and Frodo showed unwavering loyalty, friendship and kindness towards one another! Men don't act that way! That's romance, which means gay!" thing that dictates that male friends can only treat each other so well before they have to be gay. And then "Eagles! Stop making up excuses why they couldn't use them!", even though the eagles couldn't have fought off all the ringwraith flying dragon monsters - especially with the Ringwrath Leader still alive.

That was a fairly annoying top 11. Though I'm fairly sure he chose that title and those specific complaints to incite nerdrage for more hits. I'm more disappointed than anything that he went down the 'gay' route.

The whole "Gay" thing made me roll my eyes as that seems to be the norm on the internet and I have long since stopped caring. But what annoyed me was Doug's crappy imitation of Enya and bringing up "I'm a mothafucking T-Rex" song again. He really does try and get the most mileage out of all his jokes doesn't he.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Alacron posted:

First thing that comes to mind is This guy, who even rips off Mr Plinkett as an opening joke. He mostly does videogame stuff and his updates are pretty sporadic at best, not to mention he did quite a few videos about the Mass Effect 3 ending which I thought were pretty well done.

I don't know whether to be happy or annoyed that TUN uses a bunch of hip-hop instrumentals as his background music. On one hand, he has good taste in beats. On the other, it's kinda hard to concentrate on the potentially wildly diverging path the narrative of a RPG can take when, "Who said a black man in the Illuminati, last time I checked that was the biggest racist party," keeps popping into your head.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

New Half in the Bag.

I kind of like how they kept doing the flashbacks to the Grown Ups 2 review whenever they bring up the box office numbers.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Today's episode of game grumps on 'mickey mousecapade' has been 10 full minutes of non-stop laughter. absolutely hilarious.

Mickey Mousecapade

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Al-Saqr posted:

Today's episode of game grumps on 'mickey mousecapade' has been 10 full minutes of non-stop laughter. absolutely hilarious.

Mickey Mousecapade

I enjoyed this way more than I probably should have. You really have to know a lot of bad AVGN ripoffs to really appreciate it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Mace Bacon posted:

I enjoyed this way more than I probably should have. You really have to know a lot of bad AVGN ripoffs to really appreciate it.

Yeah I can see how a lot of people could hate it or think it's dragging a joke, but holy poo poo he hits every single trope that the awful AVGN ripoffs use that it's amazing.

"WOW GAME DESIGNERS HOW ABOUT SOME CONSISTENCY?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Danny is really a breath of fresh air. It's awesome to have a cohost that actually lets jokes happen instead of shrieking over them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I just hope they improve steam train. I'm not sure why but they just don't work with it. Maybe they need to script things?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Spoony continued to be a grumpy nitpicking shithead in his vlog of Pacific Rim. Guy couldn't just have fun with the movie and made it SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

ZeeBoi posted:

Spoony continued to be a grumpy nitpicking shithead in his vlog of Pacific Rim. Guy couldn't just have fun with the movie and made it SERIOUS BUSINESS.

I was a fan since '08 or so, but I'm pretty much over him now. Notice his propensity to pick up the squeaky-toy and play catch with Oreo whenever Miles speaks. I was just shocked at how :effort: his con riffs where; he spent a large portion of the time simply watching it with the audience in silence as though he was contributing something by his mere presence.

Chuck Sonneburg (aka SFDebris) has to be my favorite critic at the moment. He manages to bring reasoned, scholarly approach without becoming droll or didactic. I've only watched a fraction of the shows he reviews, yet I have seen every one of his reviews at least once -- actually managed to pick up enough about Star Trek and Dr. Who to be able to contribute to the conversation.

His videos are simple and free of the over-production that tends to follow other reviewers as their egos become inflated. He also keeps a rigid schedule, which is far more important to building a viewer base than the vast majority of reviewers realize.

If you have any interest in science fiction (heck, even if you don't), I can't recommend him highly enough.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ZeeBoi posted:

Well he said it was gonna suck before it came out, and it's not like Spoony the great is gonna go back on what he said.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I kinda adore Folding Ideas, it's a cool show that can really make you think when he gets into the real nitty gritty details on his topics of the day, but for some reason his newest episode on Man of Steel and collateral damage kinda feels... hollow.

It's really hard to place my finger on why, he's not being vague, he's including details relevant to the topic, but for some reason I just don't know where he's going with this. Like, okay, collateral damage is something that's being swept under the rug in a lot of recent superhero movies with hollow justifications of "that's whats needed to stop bad guys", that is a strong starting point, so where are you gonna go with this? Oh... that's your ending point, too? No musing on losing touch with the human factor of being a hero? Nothing about the links between reality and fiction? Okay, alright, you do have those points in there, but you're skimming past them so fast or hinting towards them without actually pointing them out that they barely register. It's almost as if he's trying to start the internet argument about the political message of Man of Steel without being willing to follow through and actually have his own standpoint on the matter... though the sarcasm on "it's okay" is so thick it's pretty easy to guess that he finds it all kinda disgusting.

Just kinda threw me off, he's usually pretty good at having an opinion while still being objective and thought provoking, but here he's leaning towards trying to be thought provoking alone and it's just coming across as... empty. And repetitive.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

How the poo poo does Doug spend so much time in each episode obsessing over how to pronounce various names? They're constantly spoken in the goddamn show itself, what's wrong with you?

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah I can see how a lot of people could hate it or think it's dragging a joke, but holy poo poo he hits every single trope that the awful AVGN ripoffs use that it's amazing.

"WOW GAME DESIGNERS HOW ABOUT SOME CONSISTENCY?"

Yeah that episode of Game Grumps gave me some wicked flashbacks of all of those terrible AVGN ripoffs that used to be everywhere a few years ago. It's weird that pretty much all of those bad reviewers are gone now since there used to be so many reviewers who were inspired by James and tried to make AVGNesque reviews. Now it seems like a lot of contemporary video game reviewers generally try to emulate either Jon Tron or be analytical like the Plinkett Reviews. Which is much better than having manchildren pretending to be mad about video games and sperging about poop.

:v: Also apparently this was the review that inspired that Game Grumps video.

Game Dude Archives: Mickey Mousecapade Review:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywokdc8Am68

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 21, 2013

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I kinda adore Folding Ideas, it's a cool show that can really make you think when he gets into the real nitty gritty details on his topics of the day, but for some reason his newest episode on Man of Steel and collateral damage kinda feels... hollow.

It's really hard to place my finger on why, he's not being vague, he's including details relevant to the topic, but for some reason I just don't know where he's going with this. Like, okay, collateral damage is something that's being swept under the rug in a lot of recent superhero movies with hollow justifications of "that's whats needed to stop bad guys", that is a strong starting point, so where are you gonna go with this? Oh... that's your ending point, too? No musing on losing touch with the human factor of being a hero? Nothing about the links between reality and fiction? Okay, alright, you do have those points in there, but you're skimming past them so fast or hinting towards them without actually pointing them out that they barely register. It's almost as if he's trying to start the internet argument about the political message of Man of Steel without being willing to follow through and actually have his own standpoint on the matter... though the sarcasm on "it's okay" is so thick it's pretty easy to guess that he finds it all kinda disgusting.

Just kinda threw me off, he's usually pretty good at having an opinion while still being objective and thought provoking, but here he's leaning towards trying to be thought provoking alone and it's just coming across as... empty. And repetitive.
It's 'cus he's a hack.

No, the sense I get from listening to it is that he's trying to draw out some dark implications about ideological complacency without turning the whole thing into a quagmire of bitching over the specifics of American foreign policy. I mean, there's a lot in there, implications of the NSA, warrantless wiretapping, American imperialist interests in the Middle East, "Homeland security", police abuse of power, ever-centralizing power, and a lot of other legitimately scary things that are happening around us, but coming right out and saying "these movies are, intentionally or otherwise, training you to be complacent as the government shrinks your civil liberties and cock-slaps the rest of the world into submission", I mean, he might as well just wrap that puppet's head in tinfoil for the episode. Sure, it's probably true, but that doesn't mean you won't sound crazy saying it.

I think the point goes further because it doesn't set off the "America gently caress Yeah" defence reflex.

Also he's probably trying not to outright repeat everything David Wong said in his column about basically the same thing. So maybe he is a hack.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Xander77 posted:

How the poo poo does Doug spend so much time in each episode obsessing over how to pronounce various names? They're constantly spoken in the goddamn show itself, what's wrong with you?

Blame Rob, he's kinda hung up over pronouncing them the way they're spelled in glorious Nipponese, and he's probably bugging Doug to do it, too. Which is a shame, since pronouncing everybody's names wrong is one of the things the movie did that absolutely deserves to be lambasted for, but if Rob is mucking up the problem then it may end up being given a pass.

EDIT:

LFK posted:

coming right out and saying "these movies are, intentionally or otherwise, training you to be complacent as the government shrinks your civil liberties and cock-slaps the rest of the world into submission", I mean, he might as well just wrap that puppet's head in tinfoil for the episode.

Yeah, I guess that's my problem with this episode, he dances around the issue instead of talking about it. I say, put on the drat tinfoil hat and dive right into the deep end, cause you're not accomplishing anything when you're dodging around the issue so much. If you want to talk about it, talk about it, if not then why the hell are you bringing it up at all?

I actually do think he's got the rough draft of a good episode here, but if he's too scared to actually explore these huge, complex, intricate issues surrounding the US government's power tripping policies they try to justify as necessary, then seriously don't bother at all, cause merely suggesting there's a correlation without actually examining what the implications are is doing a disservice to the entire idea.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 21, 2013

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Blame Rob, he's kinda hung up over pronouncing them the way they're spelled in glorious Nipponese, and he's probably bugging Doug to do it, too. Which is a shame, since pronouncing everybody's names wrong is one of the things the movie did that absolutely deserves to be lambasted for, but if Rob is mucking up the problem then it may end up being given a pass.

Well, at least we can take comfort in the fact Nik cares enough in the other Last Airbender review for all of us. :unsmith:

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

My next Animorphs Book Guide is up, this time on #34 The Prophecy, the one where Cassie gets possessed by the ghost of a character from the Hork-Bajir Chronicles.

LateToTheParty posted:

Yeah that episode of Game Grumps gave me some wicked flashbacks of all of those terrible AVGN ripoffs that used to be everywhere a few years ago. It's weird that pretty much all of those bad reviewers are gone now since there used to be so many reviewers who were inspired by James and tried to make AVGNesque reviews. Now it seems like a lot of contemporary video game reviewers generally try to emulate either Jon Tron or be analytical like the Plinkett Reviews. Which is much better than having manchildren pretending to be mad about video games and sperging about poop.

So glad that's not a working model anymore. Was recently reminded about how awful that stuff was when I stumbled on this guy. Checklist: fake rage, stupid gimmick, admitting to liking certain parts of the game and then treating it like it's completely awful, poo poo tons of factual errors (including misspelling "Scholastic" as "Schoolastic") and ending the video with the game's destruction (kind of...). Yeeeah, things have definitely gotten better.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Do you like board games? No? Watch Shut Up and Sit Down. If you actually like board games, watch Shut Up and Sit Down. It's like Top Gear for games. Their board game reviews are more than just them playing the board games. Instead, they arrange the game pieces beautifully and their style of review is charming in that it's filled with jokes and the hosts' 'character' shines at every review. Usually they make 'episodes', which consists of a single theme and embedded with three to four board game reviews. Each episodes are 30-45 minutes long and enjoyable. It's available on their old website.

However, I don't recommend those for newcomers. On their new website and the Penny Arcade TV page, they list individual board game reviews. I recommend checking those to see if their style interest you. I personally recommend 6 Reviews in 12 Minutes episode, which is like a crash course to the show: there's the interaction between the hosts, the unusual filming locations, high video quality and a few jokes.

If you find that you liked them, try the longer episodes. My recommendation: https://vimeo.com/32609360.

This show really makes me want to play board games. Sadly I have no friends :xd:

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 21, 2013

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

toanoradian posted:

Do you like board games? No? Watch Shut Up and Sit Down. If you actually like board games, watch Shut Up and Sit Down.

Great recommendation! They're very entertaining while also giving you a good idea of what each game is about and what your play experiences are likely to be like. Also, if you're just getting into board gaming as a hobby, or wondering why board gaming has had such a renaissance over the last decade, their video on The Board Game Golden Age is an excellent (though 40 minutes long) video to watch.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

ZeeBoi posted:

Spoony is one of the biggest self hating nerds I've ever seen. He's a gigantic loving dork but he feels the need to act like h's above it all. See also his :smug: "Heh Mass Effect 3 ending sucked? loving nerds, it ruled." or this "Pacific Rim? You mean loving nerd bait movie for nerds? I'll pass."

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

OldTennisCourt posted:

Spoony is one of the biggest self hating nerds I've ever seen. He's a gigantic loving dork but he feels the need to act like h's above it all.

So he'd fit right in on SA then! :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Todd posted a new One-Hit Wonderland of A Flock of Seagulls' "I Ran (So Far Away)" the great '80s hit.

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/one-hit-wonderland-i-ran-so-far-away-by-a-flock-of-seagulls-6619165

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

FlamingLiberal posted:

Todd posted a new One-Hit Wonderland of A Flock of Seagulls' "I Ran (So Far Away)" the great '80s hit.

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/one-hit-wonderland-i-ran-so-far-away-by-a-flock-of-seagulls-6619165

I read Todd's warning about the 80's hair, but holy poo poo he wasn't kidding :stare:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think Todd fell asleep in the middle of editing this episode (or he was too distracted by the hair). At around 7 minutes in he kept in several different takes of him saying "It's Ziggy Stardust for the new wave era!"

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 22, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hear that song in the most inappropriate places, the most infamous for me was when Toonami was showing this old anime called Saint Seiya but they replaced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br5HLUbA8Gg

with...this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxrsEAIMT4

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, that's the Bowling For Soup cover used at the end of the video. It's certainly an interesting choice for an anime OP; didn't help that it looks a lot more like a generic AMV than anything else.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

dijon du jour posted:

I think Todd fell asleep in the middle of editing this episode (or he was too distracted by the hair). At around 7 minutes in he kept in several different takes of him saying "It's Ziggy Stardust for the new wave era!"

He's fixed it.

He's so right though: Space Age Love Song is actually a pretty awesome song.

EDIT: \/ I'm surprised that Todd didn't touch on how much Mike Score loathes "I Ran" because it's all people expect them to play when he knows they've got more interesting songs.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 23, 2013

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Mokinokaro posted:

He's fixed it.

He's so right though: Space Age Love Song is actually a pretty awesome song.

Yeah, this is the first time I've heard it; that and "Transfer Affections" are pretty good songs. And he's absolutely right about them being a band for '82-'83, though. It's a real shame that they wound up being known more for their hair than the music, because Space Age Love Song is a song I can imagine a lot of bands being proud of.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
You know with the new Wolverine movie coming out, I'd like to see either Infamous Sphere or Rantasmo do a Queer Theory look at Bryan Singer's filmography; specifically my personal favorite "The Usual Suspects". Sphere, would you be interested in doing something like that?

And while I'm here, I'd love to see Oancitizen review a Hispanic film. He's done all other cultures from French to Dutch and everything in between; it'd be good on him to focus on Latin America. I've heard that we've become huge in literature over the past decade and there's no shortage of films or directors to choose from ("Y Tu Mama Tambíen", "Pan's Labyrinth", etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm glad of Spoony's nitpicking sometimes. Like he says, it was "just OK." I saw Pacific Rim in 3D and I was pretty underwhelmed. When it was over I said to my brother "Well, that was a movie. :geno: " I didn't hate it, but I didn't have much fun either. I can't even remember the names of the protagonists. The dual pilot brain drift stuff wasn't necessary, or was poorly executed. And I do agree that the the title is stupid.

• Locked thread