Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

white privilege posted:

state police tactical photographer is pretty lol but look at these fucks all gear queered out jesus

Yup this desert camo is totally useful out here in the wastelands of suburban Boston, yes siree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

white privilege posted:

state police tactical photographer is pretty lol but look at these fucks all gear queered out jesus

literally shut down a city to find a scared teenager lol

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Hindsight is 20/20. I'm just glad the boston police didn't shoot any civilians like the LAPD likes to do.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

mokhtar belmokhtar posted:

literally shut down a city to find a scared teenager lol

Who was behind a literal terror attack that killed multiple people and no one knew how much more there may have been.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

He wasn't behind that! Look at those eyes! #freejahar

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

gleep gloop posted:

Who was behind a literal terror attack that killed multiple people and no one knew how much more there may have been.

If big cities shut down every time people were murdered well not much would get done

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

Can-O-Raid posted:

Yup this desert camo is totally useful out here in the wastelands of suburban Boston, yes siree.
I'd really like to know how many of them can actually shoot wearing a gas mask. And lol @ the shoulder guards.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

JSARSOM posted:

I'd really like to know how many of them can actually shoot wearing a gas mask. And lol @ the shoulder guards.

State police SWAT really is like airsoft, except the guns are real.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

mokhtar belmokhtar posted:

If big cities shut down every time people were murdered well not much would get done

There's a difference between a murder and an act of terror.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

gleep gloop posted:

look here bub i agree with like cancelling big public events like sports during the search but telling people not to go outside and poo poo is ridiculous as gently caress imo

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

gleep gloop posted:

actually not really, the response is the only difference. shutting down a city like that is an absurd overreaction (which we always do when we face terrorism)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

white privilege posted:

actually not really, the response is the only difference. shutting down a city like that is an absurd overreaction (which we always do when we face terrorism)

actually yes really.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
There's a large psychological difference between terror attacks and simple murders. Because simple murders always happen to other people, like drug dealers and husbands of battered wives. Terror attacks, though... that could happen to YOU!

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Baloogan posted:

actually yes really.

nope sorry gonna disagree. "terrorism" is such a nebulous construct that it doesn't really mean anything. it's exactly like grover said, murders happen to bad people, but terrorism could happen to you! hence the overblown reactions to it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
People keep posting this on facebook.

:rolleyes:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Slim Pickens posted:

ELITE ARMY KILLING MACHINES HOOAH

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Digging the socom patch

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Maybe she's just there to ask for a pinch of that Copenhagen he's got in his lip.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

white privilege posted:

nope sorry gonna disagree. "terrorism" is such a nebulous construct that it doesn't really mean anything. it's exactly like grover said, murders happen to bad people, but terrorism could happen to you! hence the overblown reactions to it.

It's a question of motive. This isn't a hard concept.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Godholio posted:

It's a question of motive. This isn't a hard concept.

the motive is largely irrelevant when the results are the same. murder is murder, you treat it from a law enforcement standpoint, not a military or quasi-military one. you have poo poo like the colorado theater, that school in CT, shitloads of people died, way more than in boston. yet people who advocated for extreme responses to that were (rightfully) marginalized. the responses to terrorist attacks should be exactly the same. just another crime, we have shitloads of them in this country.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

white privilege posted:

the motive is largely irrelevant when the results are the same. murder is murder, you treat it from a law enforcement standpoint, not a military or quasi-military one. you have poo poo like the colorado theater, that school in CT, shitloads of people died, way more than in boston. yet people who advocated for extreme responses to that were (rightfully) marginalized. the responses to terrorist attacks should be exactly the same. just another crime, we have shitloads of them in this country.

It's almost like the people who carry out these crimes are doing it to try and send a message outside of killing a bunch of people and by treating it like any other crime we deprive them of that effect.

Nah why would we want to do that, time for the breathless 24/7 news coverage and old white guys up on capitol hill wisely intoning about how we must remain vigilant against the islamic terror threat and by the way please give me ten gajillion dollars for a completely worthless federal anti-terrorism something or other in my district.

At least this time the assholes were incompetent enough that we didn't feel the need to start a completely pointless 12 years long and counting war in a worthless country in response to the attack.

edit - Good point, here's a picture of the last time the navy thought building a bunch of really fast small unarmored ships was a good idea (click for huge):

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 19, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
By that logic manslaughter is the same as murder, as the results are the same.

Arguing on the internet is stupid; at least we should post a military picture with every one of our retarded posts.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

manslaughter is an entirely different crime than murder; notice that i said murder is murder. having motive play into enforcement results in ridiculous things like hate crime legislation. our justice system was set up just fine prior to 9/11 to deal with terrorism; we didn't need any changes, and we'd be far better off returning to those days. instead it's cool, we'll just continue down the police state path, no big deal.

<- my mil pic is my av, a true warrior :)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

white privilege posted:

the motive is largely irrelevant when the results are the same.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Edit: PICTURE THREAD

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

Edit: PICTURE THREAD

No, you were right he doesn't have a well thought out opinion but gently caress it its not D&D. D&D sucks.

Edit: of course he didn't have a well thought out opinion, he started off by agreeing with grover.

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 19, 2013

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
DnD picture thread is just a thread with a tax to argue dumb points. And that tax is a picture. Don't mind me while I type out 4 pages of who gives a gently caress to a post that was gently caress this poo poo while I post a boner with a hitler mustache.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 19, 2013

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always

Third World Reggin posted:

boner with a hitler mustache.

That's the name of my band.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
I don't agree with him that we should have the same response to coordinated bombings that we have to a drive by, but his argument that 'terrorism' is a silly concept that is incredibly hard to actually define is correct. Look up any definition for it and tell me it couldn't be made to apply to pretty much any governmental use of force. It's not really worth making GBS threads up this thread any more about it thought so I'll shut up about it after this.

Here's some old documentary footage of tanks shooting a hill

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Its a little bit insane when the cops are going house to house like Fallujah or whatever.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Baloogan posted:

Hindsight is 20/20. I'm just glad the boston police didn't shoot any civilians like the LAPD likes to do.

IIRC it did come out a little while after that every single policeman that got shot during the manhunt was friendly fire

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

white privilege posted:

Not if you lived in NYS or CT.

Also I think one difference with Boston was the use of explosives vs firearms.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

IIRC it did come out a little while after that every single policeman that got shot during the manhunt was friendly fire

Officer Sean Collier.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Baloogan posted:

Officer Sean Collier.

I know, but that wasn't during the manhunt.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/15/us/boston-watertown-shootout

quote:

-- Police fired nearly 300 rounds of ammunition within five to 10 minutes as they confronted the suspects -- 100 more than initially reported. And that included one round that nearly killed Massachusetts Transit Police Officer Richard Donohue. (Others bullets struck the Tsarnaev brothers, seriously injuring Dzhokhar and contributing to the death of Tamerlan.)

-- Tamerlan was the only brother armed with a handgun. The only other weapons they had were the homemade explosives that police say the brothers tossed out of the hijacked vehicle, including a few that detonated.

-- Police accidentally fired on an unoccupied black SUV during the mayhem. "In the chaos, an officer or trooper (or some combination of personnel) mistook it for one of the two suspect vehicles," David Procopio of the Massachusetts State Police told CNN.

etc etc

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

quote:

-- Police accidentally fired on an unoccupied black SUV during the mayhem. "In the chaos, an officer or trooper (or some combination of personnel) mistook it for one of the two suspect vehicles," David Procopio of the Massachusetts State Police told CNN.
:byodood:"Follow my tracers!"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

I know, but that wasn't during the manhunt.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/15/us/boston-watertown-shootout

etc etc

quote:

And a manhunt was on.

Hours after that FBI news conference, Boston and the rest of the country followed as the suspects allegedly shot and killed a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer in a failed attempt to seize his gun, carjacked a black Mercedes SUV whose driver cleverly escaped at a gas station, then fled to the Boston suburb of Watertown, where they were confronted by police.

I know I'm splitting hairs but you are wrong according to your own source, he was shot during the manhunt.

I'd even go so far as to say that the manhunt began when they started hunting Black Hat and White Hat; what was before Officer Collier was shot.

I'm still astounded that the police didn't kill anyone; but my experience hails from LA and Vancouver where LAPD and RCMP do just love to kill people accidentally. The LAPD and RCMP give police a bad reputation. The Boston police and the entire response to the bombings was a wonderful example of policework and fully competent emergency services.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Baloogan posted:

I know I'm splitting hairs but you are wrong according to your own source, he was shot during the manhunt.

I'd even go so far as to say that the manhunt began when they started hunting Black Hat and White Hat; what was before Officer Collier was shot.

I'm still astounded that the police didn't kill anyone; but my experience hails from LA and Vancouver where LAPD and RCMP do just love to kill people accidentally. The LAPD and RCMP give police a bad reputation. The Boston police and the entire response to the bombings was a wonderful example of policework and fully competent emergency services.

The lapd tried to kill a couple old women in a truck during the dorner stuff and couldn't even accomplish that despite using dozens of rounds

Even their incompetence is incompetent

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

iyaayas01 posted:

edit - Good point, here's a picture of the last time the navy thought building a bunch of really fast small unarmored ships was a good idea (click for huge):

Point of order: the navy has no armored ships of any speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevenolson88
Sep 30, 2009

Slim Pickens posted:

Oh how grimacing RIs always look.

• Locked thread