Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Deschain posted:

I've never really tested, but pretty drat low. I guess I'm looking for 15+. I'm not bothered at all by a really low framerate caused by low settings, it only bothers me if it's caused by throttling from overheating. Are you meaning that I can run games without a dedicated GPU if I don't care about them looking nice? I never really thought of that, I always just assumed I needed a graphics card if I wanted to run them at all. Interesting!

If what I just said is correct, let's say I was thinking about the Clevo W650SZ. If I had a 15.6'' with a 4th Generation Intelฎ Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor but my video was just this listed "4th Generation Intelฎ 4600 GMA HD Dynamic Video Memory Technology," (which I guess means integrated graphics?) I would be able to run WoW or, say, Darksiders II on low settings without input lag and without my computer heating up much, it would just look like poo poo?

Also, if that's correct, would there be any reason at all to opt for 16 GB of RAM over 8 for an extra $80 or would I never even reach using 8?

Here's an example of Intel HD5000 in action on a Haswell Macbook Air:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaxcXp3jygQ

HD4600 isn't as good but still good enough for some people, look up some youtube examples.

Here's an HD4600 video with Battlefield 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a88Qz9pzQJY

If that's good enough for you then you probably don't need a dedicated graphics card. It might struggle on some of the AAA titles coming out later but I imagine you can always turn the settings down.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GZA Genius posted:

Also looking into a 128 GB SSD to install to my mSATA drive. I need to purchase a caddy as well for installation? Like this: http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_7&products_id=392
You don't need a caddy for an mSATA drive - there's a panel on the bottom of the computer where you install it, not unlike a stick of RAM.

The caddy is for adding a hard drive where your DVD drive is.

quote:

Looking into this for a mSATA drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148612

Why is this way cheaper than a 2.5 SSD?
$119 isn't a good price for a 128GB 2.5" SSD

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

arisu posted:

Here's an example of Intel HD5000 in action on a Haswell Macbook Air:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaxcXp3jygQ

HD4600 isn't as good but still good enough for some people, look up some youtube examples.

Here's an HD4600 video with Battlefield 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a88Qz9pzQJY

If that's good enough for you then you probably don't need a dedicated graphics card. It might struggle on some of the AAA titles coming out later but I imagine you can always turn the settings down.

In a CPU without a drastically constrained TDP, there are likely going to be situations where the 4600 is actually faster than the 5000 in a thermally constrained chip despite the difference in the number of cores.
This anandtech article details how the GPU in the air essentially has to share a very small power budget with the CPU (17W total) and that in cases where you're near TDP and using a lot of both CPU and GPU, you do so at the cost of clockspeed in one or both components.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7072/intel-hd-5000-vs-hd-4000-vs-hd-4400
Since the 4700 is a 47W CPU/GPU, it'll probably be faster than the MacBook air with its 5000 simply because the 4600 GPU will be able to spend more time at high clockspeeds because of the larger power/thermal budget.

Edit: If you compare the benchmarks here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600.86106.0.html and here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-5000.91978.0.html you'll see that the 4600 (In a 37-47W chip) actually outperforms the 5000 (in a 17W chip) in nearly every synthetic and gaming benchmark. This is pretty much entirely due to thermal throttling in the low wattage chip.

Naffer fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 18, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

RAM prices skyrocketed sometime in the last six months. At one point Samsung was flooding the market with cheap ram to drive competitors out of business. Either Samsung ran out of money (unlikely) or they succeeded in their goal.

shrughes posted:

Today, today. 13" Vaio Pro, 13" Vaio Duo. Also the Clevo W230ST.

As Revol pointed out - XPS 12 is 12" but I'd add this to the list.

XPS 12 is pretty much the only Dell I'd be willing to recommend and stand behind as a solid product. If you want an X230 that's not fat and bulky and you're willing to pay $1250, it's the perfect device. Great linux support as well.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

Creative Bicycle posted:

Honestly not trying to be argumentative (because I'm sure plenty of people have 'gaming' laptops crap out on them quickly), but I have a now 2 year old Sager laptop that runs 95% of modern PC games at medium to high or better graphics settings at 30+ fps. My laptop was about $1800 in 2011, which would fit his 'something between a $700 and $3000 laptop' criteria. I didn't buy my laptop as a desktop replacement as I still have both, but two years later I still do most of my gaming on my laptop. I guess my point is that not every 'gaming' or 'performance' laptop is a horrible, laughable investment that no one should ever consider.

$1800 would buy you a Chromebook and a top-end gaming desktop. Gaming laptops, unless you're travelling constantly or are in the army, are universally a bad idea.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Sometimes people just want advice and not lectures on how they are using laptops wrong

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

go3 posted:

Sometimes people just want advice and not lectures on how they are using laptops wrong

Sometimes, people have unrealistic expectations for their laptops. The advice is "don't buy a gaming laptop, they generally suck".

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

go3 posted:

I want to know what the best 48" tires are for my 1970 Gremlin. Also I'm looking at adding a 4th spoiler. I have $300 to spend. Thanks.

LurkingAsian
Jul 27, 2007
Shhhh.......

InstantInfidel posted:

$1800 would buy you a Chromebook and a top-end gaming desktop. Gaming laptops, unless you're travelling constantly or are in the army, are universally a bad idea.

Laptops exist because because some people need to have a computer that can be easily moved. Assuming that you know a user's usage patterns better than they do is awfully presumptuous.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

LurkingAsian posted:

Laptops exist because because some people need to have a computer that can be easily moved. Assuming that you know a user's usage patterns better than they do is awfully presumptuous.
True, but if you look at what the guy originally wanted, it was basically a laptop that would get 15+ FPS on games without overheating. You can do that with a lot of not-gaming laptops and not have to suffer the inevitable (and horrendous) tradeoffs that are inherent to gaming laptops. Ergo, he should probably not get a gaming laptop and instead get something that'll get mediocre FPS but actually be able to stand up to the rigors of being transported from location to location.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

LurkingAsian posted:

If we do what you and go3 suggest, we might as well close the drat thread. People come here for advice about buying a laptop, not to hear a bunch of yes-men pat them on the back for their stellar choice and excellent knowledge. If we let half of the people who come in here and post a laptop go on their merry way without any feedback, advice, or criticism, I guarantee over half would be dissatisfied or at the very least underwhelmed with what they received. If you post in here saying "I WANT AN ALIENWARE MX17 THAT WILL SIT ON MY DESK FOR FOUR YEARS" we're going to gently (or not) cajole you into getting a tablet and a desktop. If you come in here and say "I want X gaming laptop" or "I want X performance for Y dollars" and then don't post jack poo poo about how you use it, what you use it for, or what your concerns are, yeah, I'm going to jump to conclusions and start telling you exactly how and why you actually don't want an expensive space heater with a monitor attached or why buying a 17" 780M SLI Sager for college is a really bad idea.

tl;dr this thread is not your laptop hugbox

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

go3 posted:

Do you really consider two sentences a lecture? "You'll save money and probably be happier if you do this other thing instead" is pretty good advice!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Do you really consider two sentences a lecture? "You'll save money and probably be happier if you do this other thing instead" is pretty good advice!
It seems to offend some people. :shrug:

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Basically the proper algorithm for laptop selection according to this thread is:

1. Do you want a gaming laptop?
Yes -> goto 2
No -> goto 3

2. Oh really?
Yes -> goto 3
No -> goto 3

3. Get a Thinkpad T430 :worship:
No -> goto 4

4. Get a T430s?
No -> goto 5

5. Get an X1 Carbon?
No -> goto 6

6. An X230? An X230t? A W530? T431s?
No, no, no, no -> goto 7
My username is sports -> goto 8

7. Wait for Haswell and get a T440 or T440s (or T540s!?).
No, I really want a gaming laptop -> goto 8

8. Get a 13" MacBook Air.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
Anyone have any experience with the Lenovo ideapad Y410p? I like the size and the specs, since I'll be using it for playing games. Ideally I'm looking to spend around $900. I've heard bad things about their customer service, but I use a thinkpad for work and like it a lot.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Gophermaster posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Lenovo ideapad Y410p?

Beware that it has a glossy screen, but other than that, it has a good keyboard by "consumer-grade" standards and supposedly the trackpad isn't the best, but it works. I've heard it described as "clumsy". Also there's no Optimus, so good bye battery life. If you got the MSI GE40 or something, you'd have Optimus, but it costs more.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

shrughes posted:

Beware that it has a glossy screen, but other than that, it has a good keyboard by "consumer-grade" standards and supposedly the trackpad isn't the best, but it works. I've heard it described as "clumsy". Also there's no Optimus, so good bye battery life.

Yeah I'm not overly stressed about the battery, it's going to live in the hotel(s). The build quality is lovely compared to the Thinkpad line I guess?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Gophermaster posted:

The build quality is lovely compared to the Thinkpad line I guess?
It is, but only to the extent that every consumer-grade laptop is. The Y410p (and the entire IdeaPad line) isn't going to live up to the build quality of a ThinkPad, but it's not any worse than most, and better than many. If you're considering it, though, you might as well consider other laptops of its type: there's no reason to prefer a non-ThinkPad Lenovo over other brands.

Also note that IdeaPad support it runs through Lenovo themselves (who aren't really any better or worse than most other companies--which is to say they're a pain to deal with), while ThinkPad support is run by IBM, who are obviously a lot better about most everything. So don't buy an IdeaPad and expect ThinkPad support--you'll be disappointed.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Why do people here believe that IBM still runs customer support for Thinkpads? I don't whether that's true or not, but I'd like to know if it is, and I don't believe that the people who say it is true know what they're talking about.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yo we get you hate thinkpads or whatever but there's a site called google you could look at. Also maybe other Haswell laptops will be recommended when they are actually released.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't know why. When I called customer support the guy gave me his email and it was @lenovo.ca

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Here in Australia ThinkPad support is all done by Lenovo and it is loving atrocious.

Edit: Not to say that is the case elsewhere, just how it is here.

Sendo fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 19, 2013

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrughes posted:

Why do people here believe that IBM still runs customer support for Thinkpads? I don't whether that's true or not, but I'd like to know if it is, and I don't believe that the people who say it is true know what they're talking about.
Because it is. Simple as that. I've dealt with them, and it's very much run through IBM, even if they don't say "Thank you for calling IBM technical support" when you call. poo poo, if you want to put in a trouble ticket online you have to register up via IBM.com. Not sure what you want me to tell you, buddy.

e; If you don't believe me and are too lazy to Google it for yourself: Generic Lenovo support link Click on where it says "Submit a Repair Request (Think only)"--you know, because you've got a ThinkPad. Click Continue on the next page. Tell me where it lands you.

And, yeah, IBM only does US (and maybe Canada?) ThinkPad support. The rest of the world gets to suffer with standard Lenovo support. Sorry guys :(

DrDork fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 19, 2013

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I tried Googling it, for gently caress's sake, so shut the gently caress up. Yes by all means let me go do a breadth first search of Lenovo's support site instead of wasting your precious time asking a two second question.

(edit: yes, let's all pretend I'm not an rear end in a top hat)

shrughes fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 19, 2013

nidrod
Jun 20, 2013
I'm looking to buy a laptop for school and I found this deal on newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834310605R

It's a Thinkpad edge E430, with an i5 3210M (2.5 GHz), 6 GB of ram, and a 750 GB HDD on sale for $563 (it's normally $699). I plan on primarily using it for programming and hopefully playing some DotA 2 on low settings.

So basically what I was wondering is if you guys think that this is a decent deal for what I need or if I should wait for Lenovo's back to school sale which will start august 1st and hope that I can get better hardware for around the same price.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

nidrod posted:

I'm looking to buy a laptop for school and I found this deal on newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834310605R

It's a Thinkpad edge E430, with an i5 3210M (2.5 GHz), 6 GB of ram, and a 750 GB HDD on sale for $563 (it's normally $699). I plan on primarily using it for programming and hopefully playing some DotA 2 on low settings.

So basically what I was wondering is if you guys think that this is a decent deal for what I need or if I should wait for Lenovo's back to school sale which will start august 1st and hope that I can get better hardware for around the same price.

If you want a Laptop within the next week or so, for under $600 I would recommend the Lenovo outlet. Refurbished(with a 1 year warranty) T430, T420 tend to drop below $600 frequently, If you willing to check the website multiple times to get a good deal. The difference between the E series and the T and X is pretty much night and day.

nidrod
Jun 20, 2013

Calidus posted:

If you want a Laptop within the next week or so, for under $600 I would recommend the Lenovo outlet. Refurbished(with a 1 year warranty) T430, T420 tend to drop below $600 frequently, If you willing to check the website multiple times to get a good deal. The difference between the E series and the T and X is pretty much night and day.

Thanks for the reply! While I know the T and X are a step above the Edge, I'm not willing to go refurbished for that step. For me, it's just not worth the risk of not knowing what the previous owner has done to it. Is the E series bad enough that I would be better off just going with a different brand entirely if I'm going to settle for it? The reviews I read said it was still a step above most consumer grade laptops but I guess they could be misleading. Also, would going up a hundred dollars or so give a truly drastic change in the performance I experience, or would it be more marginal at my price range?

Edit: removed the word probably.

nidrod fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 19, 2013

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

nidrod posted:

Thanks for the reply! While I know the T and X are probably a step above the Edge, I'm not willing to go refurbished for that step. For me, it's just not worth the risk of not knowing what the previous owner has done to it. Is the E series bad enough that I would be better off just going with a different brand entirely if I'm going to settle for it? The reviews I read said it was still a step above most consumer grade laptops but I guess they could be misleading. Also, would going up a hundred dollars or so give a truly drastic change in the performance I experience, or would it be more marginal at my price range?

I like the Thinkpad E series more than I do a HP or Toshiba average bestbuy laptop. It has a thinkpad keyboard and metal hinges, It is a step up from average but the body is plastic than you can feel the flex in it like a normal consumer laptop. The extra $200 to go from an E series to a T series with the same specs isn't about more performance, it is about build quality and durability.

anecdote: I work for small business and over the last 2 years we bought 6 refurbished thinkcentres and 6 refurbished thinkpads, and we have zero issues with them. I can't tell the difference between the refurbished thinkpads and the ones that were bought new.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Aren't the refurbs basically just 'open box', returned and tested, or just had a component replaced?

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

DrDork posted:

It is, but only to the extent that every consumer-grade laptop is. The Y410p (and the entire IdeaPad line) isn't going to live up to the build quality of a ThinkPad, but it's not any worse than most, and better than many. If you're considering it, though, you might as well consider other laptops of its type: there's no reason to prefer a non-ThinkPad Lenovo over other brands.

Also note that IdeaPad support it runs through Lenovo themselves (who aren't really any better or worse than most other companies--which is to say they're a pain to deal with), while ThinkPad support is run by IBM, who are obviously a lot better about most everything. So don't buy an IdeaPad and expect ThinkPad support--you'll be disappointed.

I was mostly impressed by the specs/price ratio, I hadn't seen that anywhere else yet. Thanks for the input.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The previous owner was probably a corporate warehouse that realized they were shipped too many laptops and had the extras RMA'd to avoid paying for them. Or the employee left the company before the laptop they ordered for them arrived.

This is mostly a corporate laptop, it's not a n HP Pavilion your aunt bought at Best Buy and returned after the dog knocked it off the coffee table.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
It's also worth checking out ebay. Just picking one at random, this x220 comes with a dual-core i7 (note, sandy bridge), 8 gb of ram, webcam, bluetooth, 9-cell battery, fingerprint reader, I think it has a WWAN card, and it's still under warranty until march 2015, all for $500 shipped. Granted, they replaced the hard drive with a lovely 5400 RPM drive, it doesn't have the IPS screen, and the WWAN card means no msata SSD, but still.

For thinkpad shopping on ebay, remember that you can look up the exact specs of any model via the MPN here and if they include the serial & MPN (or you ask the seller) you can look up the warranty status here.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
I'm looking to buy a laptop for general college use and some gaming. The most intense game I plan to play is Final Fantasy XIV and I am content with low settings. I put together a laptop on the lenovo site but it's been a long time since I've built any kind of computer so I have a few questions. The laptop specs are:

ThinkPad T430 - 1 Year Depot Topseller Warranty ($929.00)
Part number: 2342CTO
Edit configuration | Remove | Add to wishlist
Estimated ship date: 8/5/13**
+/- Configuration details
• Intel Core i5-3230M Processor (3.20GHz, 3MB Cache, 1600MHz) with Intel HD Graphics 4000
• Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
• Windows 7 Home Premium 64 - English
• 14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
• Intel HD Graphics 4000
• 4 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)
• Keyboard Backlit - US English
• 720p HD Camera with Microphone
• 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
• DVD Recordable
• Express Card Slot & 4-in-1 Card Reader
• 6 Cell Li-Ion TWL 70+
• 90W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
• Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN
• Mobile Broadband upgradable
• Publication - US English

My questions are the following:

-I know that early on in the thread it was mentioned that the screen on T430 is bad, specifically the viewing angle and black levels. How noticeable would this be for someone who has mainly used desktops for the last 10 years? For reference, my current desktop monitor is an ASUS VW224.
-Would upgrading the video card to (NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1GB DDR3 Memory) have a significant impact on what I want to use it for? Would it run very hot/loud with this upgrade?
-I am planning to upgrade the RAM myself, is it better to buy 2 4GB sticks from the same company or can I just buy 1 and leave the current one in there?
-How would I get the best discount on this? There's a coupon code on the lenovo site for 12% off, bringing the price down to $817.52. Is there a better code to use?

If there's anything horrible about this that I've missed, please let me know. I'm not expecting super awesome performance for my price range ($1000), but I would like to get a decent machine for my needs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

enahs posted:

-I know that early on in the thread it was mentioned that the screen on T430 is bad, specifically the viewing angle and black levels. How noticeable would this be for someone who has mainly used desktops for the last 10 years? For reference, my current desktop monitor is an ASUS VW224.
-Would upgrading the video card to (NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1GB DDR3 Memory) have a significant impact on what I want to use it for? Would it run very hot/loud with this upgrade?

If there's anything horrible about this that I've missed, please let me know. I'm not expecting super awesome performance for my price range ($1000), but I would like to get a decent machine for my needs.

I have a T430s which is pretty similarly specced so here's my impression

Screen: Pretty noticeable compared to most desktop monitors I've used, especially on darker colours (which suffer a huge amount of shift even if you only tilt the screen slightly)

Video card: Mine only has the NVS5200M but even that is a bit of a step up from the HD4000 in most games. I've noticed it does ramp the fans up a bit, but nothing seems to get unduly hot.

I'd strongly consider getting a bigger battery - whether or no its more economical to do this at order time or jut buying the 9-cell afterwards depends on what Lenovo is charging for the upgrade. I'd also consider getting an SSD - this can replace the hard disk, or you can get an MSATA model to install alongside the disk.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
I got recommended the T430 in the last thread but I wound up with a temporary free replacement for my old computer so I haven't bought it yet. Now I'm hearing bad things about the screen. As someone who frequently does digital art, how bad are we talking here? Is there an affordable alternative that would be good for digital art and also durable? I need it for other basic uses as well but accurate color is really important. I use several programs that don't work on macs so that's not an option either. Or should I just go ahead and get the T430 anyway?

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
If I were to get a w230ST laptop (or one of equal power, I don't mind 14") what would it be? My current laptop literally just melted in my bag somehow....probably battery related since it was off when it happened but it is virtually unusable (no usb ports warped keys etc...) so I can no longer wait. I don't want to get a laptop that will literally keep me up at night with its fan of doom but I do want something powerful enough to handle any game I throw at it for the next 1.5-2 years (obviously at realistic settings, I'm not insane about my expectations).

If you guys feel the w230ST is the best bet what configuration would you recommend? I am worried about the heat/fan issues if I went with a higher power consumption configuration. I also don't mind spending 1500 or so if that gets me what I want.

Thanks for your help and the continued advice offered in this thread.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
For somebody who does digital art, baaaaaad. Bad bad. Horrible. Worse than grayscale.

We think the T440 and T440s will have IPS 1920x1080 screens that will be really nice (this fact was leaked for the T440s on Lenovo's website for a couple days) so maybe you should wait (until October?). Or get something else. The other reason to wait (as part of the general "wait for Haswell" advice) is that a Haswell CPU gets you better battery life, and slightly better integrated graphics. Or, if you must buy right now, you could get a T530 with 1920x1080 screen (which is high quality) or an X230 with the "premium" screen (which is a pretty good IPS screen) or simply a non-Thinkpad. The "nice screen" alternative that pops to mind right now is the 15" Vaio S. Its advantages are that it weighs 4.42 lbs instead of the 5.9 lbs (or something) that the T530 weighs. It has a nice IPS screen (if you get a new model from Sony, and not one of the older "orangegate" models from some vendor). It has good build quality, except that the screen is vulnerable to pressure damage -- some people reported bright spots in the backlight caused by weight being put on the screen. Other people said they didn't have this problem at all. So it depends on how you treat the machine. Maybe you won't get that problem as long as you don't put it in a bookbag with books and then throw it on a bed. The actual reports mentioned the VAIO logo imprinted as a bright spot, which sounds like it would take pressing the machine between two flat surfaces to create.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
I really can't imagine the mobile i3/i5 line will take longer than the desktop line (currently sometime in September), and the little we know points to Q3. Obviously none of us have any clue why the full lineup hasn't launched yet but it seems unlikely it'd be more than a month and a half to me.

e: more unconfirmed info: T440s/X240s will probably have HD5000, so if they stay within a similar thermal envelope to the rest of the -s line (rather than the 35W TDP IB CPUs in the X series, for the latter), that points to the i5 4350U/4550U & i7 4650U as available options. I'm glad this is at the very least an option, as GT2 would suck.

e2: also Lenovo would be nuts not to meet the Ultrabook spec requirements, so that's another reason it'll probably feature a low-TDP chip

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 20, 2013

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.

Is there any idea how much a baseline T440 will cost when they come out? I can put this off for a few months if it's going to be that much of an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's going to be the same as the T430

Laptops don't really go up in price when new models come out. For example the new Macbook Air with Haswell actually went down $100.