Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

narcoticgoldfish
Oct 30, 2007

Inadequately posted:

drat it, stop promising all these great things for future versions, I'll never get anywhere in my current game.

(Obviously kidding, you guys do great work, carry on. If I had any head for code I'd get into this myself.)

So far, I haven't modified anything that would break your saves. This release should be backwards compatible, as far as my additions go; I'm actually play testing on my 200 day old character as we speak. When I start loving up the NPC code and such it'll probably break backwards compatibility, but you should be safe...for now!

The java portion of the coding is incredibly easy; I have never had any classes or any instruction as far as coding goes, and this is my first time actually delving into the guts of any game. I might just be insane, though - I've dropped over $100 on some amazing titles I have been waiting to buy during the steam sale, but so far none of them hold as much allure as notepad++. Stick around for when I dive into the actual code, though - I'm sure my face will be melting by then!

Vengarr: I have no idea - I don't think the code for such a differentiation exists, but as a wild-assed guess, it'd be a pain in the rear end (and possibly unusable) with static spawn. Dynamic might be a different story - I am pretty sure only noise is used in determining dynamic spawn, but I'd have to dig a bit to say that with 100% certainity.

One of my ideas was to have a pack of zombie dogs spawn every so often and hunt down the player to introduce that element of uncertainty when sleeping outside a secure location, or packs of roamers ala walking dead. I'd love to have a horde of 400+ zombies roaming the map, it'd provide a lot more random encounters and up the danger of exploring unprepared. Plus, as it stands now, if you're not in or near a town you're pretty safe from the undead menace - and safety, as we all know, is boring. I want a game where you have to stay on your toes, lest a horde show up and rip up half your semi because they caught you flat footed, necessitating a choice between abandoning all of your sweet loot in the semi in order to survive, or risking death to fight off the horde. I'm trying to make melee a more viable option due to this reason - the armors listed in the change log are meant to give you a bit more survivability against multiple zombies in melee.

Keep the ideas rolling, folks ! I'm going to aim to do a small weekly update (maybe biweekly, depending on my schedule ) until I run out of :catdrugs: or interest in the game dies down, and I've got a poo poo ton of substances just begging to be abused.

Edit: Lawyer: yup, I can easily make it so recipies require rotten items - I'm planning on implementing the still and using straw/blueberries as a base to brew from until I have a chance to add a meaningful amount of corn/hops/etc to the game. I'm thinking tainted flesh (rotten) should be a precursor to a lot of recipies, though - it'll give players a reason to butcher zombies other than to prevent resurrection. Are there any recipies in particular anyone would like to see added? If you provide the name and ingredients, I can handle the rest - even if the ingredients are not yet in-game.

narcoticgoldfish fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If we are allowed to request things, I'd definitely like to see a way to process rotting fruits into some sort of biofuel, as an alternative to gasoline. I'd also like to see some sort of farming system introduced, so that farm lots aren't completely useless once the initial crops rot. Maybe rotten meat could be processed into fertilizer, too.

Also, I think allies need a rework. As it stands, friendly dogs/blobs/manhacks more or less amount to 'attack anything in the area indiscriminately, then wander off'. Some method of telling them to follow you around or stay would be good for guarding your base, and maybe some way to tell them to ignore some creatures, so you don't wake up to find dozens and dozens of squirrel corpses around your house.

Comedy option: Fertilizing plants with tainted meat/growing tainted veggies allows you to grow friendly triffids.

Finally, some way to start fires without a lighter or matchbook would be nice. Maybe the trade-off is that it takes more time and effort, and you can only do it with higher survival skill.

Basically I want to play a crazy mountain man who shuns the false trappings of civilization, going around with an army of pets and burning down cities.

Edit: also, don't worry about breaking saves too much. Half the fun is starting out a fresh character anyway. If I really feel like carrying on an older character, I just use debug mode to give myself all his skills/mutations/stuff.

Oh, and a way to craft welders with enough heating elements would be nice, too. Half the fun of vehicles is locked out without a welder, and having to go through city after city in the hopes of a garage gets old. It's kind of silly that you can make bionics with high electronics, but not a welder.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 20, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
^^^^
Making Triffid Oil would be a very cool thing, as that's what it was used for in the fiction. Possibly a new facility or place on the map, Triffid Refinery?

narcoticgoldfish posted:

So far, I haven't modified anything that would break your saves. This release should be backwards compatible, as far as my additions go; I'm actually play testing on my 200 day old character as we speak. When I start loving up the NPC code and such it'll probably break backwards compatibility, but you should be safe...for now!

The java portion of the coding is incredibly easy; I have never had any classes or any instruction as far as coding goes, and this is my first time actually delving into the guts of any game. I might just be insane, though - I've dropped over $100 on some amazing titles I have been waiting to buy during the steam sale, but so far none of them hold as much allure as notepad++. Stick around for when I dive into the actual code, though - I'm sure my face will be melting by then!

Vengarr: I have no idea - I don't think the code for such a differentiation exists, but as a wild-assed guess, it'd be a pain in the rear end (and possibly unusable) with static spawn. Dynamic might be a different story - I am pretty sure only noise is used in determining dynamic spawn, but I'd have to dig a bit to say that with 100% certainity.

One of my ideas was to have a pack of zombie dogs spawn every so often and hunt down the player to introduce that element of uncertainty when sleeping outside a secure location, or packs of roamers ala walking dead. I'd love to have a horde of 400+ zombies roaming the map, it'd provide a lot more random encounters and up the danger of exploring unprepared. Plus, as it stands now, if you're not in or near a town you're pretty safe from the undead menace - and safety, as we all know, is boring. I want a game where you have to stay on your toes, lest a horde show up and rip up half your semi because they caught you flat footed, necessitating a choice between abandoning all of your sweet loot in the semi in order to survive, or risking death to fight off the horde. I'm trying to make melee a more viable option due to this reason - the armors listed in the change log are meant to give you a bit more survivability against multiple zombies in melee.

Keep the ideas rolling, folks ! I'm going to aim to do a small weekly update (maybe biweekly, depending on my schedule ) until I run out of :catdrugs: or interest in the game dies down, and I've got a poo poo ton of substances just begging to be abused.

Edit: Lawyer: yup, I can easily make it so recipies require rotten items - I'm planning on implementing the still and using straw/blueberries as a base to brew from until I have a chance to add a meaningful amount of corn/hops/etc to the game. I'm thinking tainted flesh (rotten) should be a precursor to a lot of recipies, though - it'll give players a reason to butcher zombies other than to prevent resurrection. Are there any recipies in particular anyone would like to see added? If you provide the name and ingredients, I can handle the rest - even if the ingredients are not yet in-game.

Yeah, then no idea how involved you want to make it, but you could have a recipe that makes a gallon jugs worth of fluid, and just give it a rot timer, then you can have 2 recipes, one that bottles up a portion of it into a bottle to drink as wine, and another that takes it all and distills it into brandy.

Let's see, off the top of my head, you've got the following.

Strawberries + Water + (Tainted Flesh, or possibly something from funguloids since were dealing with yeast.) = 10x Strawberry Ferment.

Strawberry Ferment (Rotten) + Bottle = Bottle of Strawberry Wine (Gets you drunk like beer in the game, can't be used for bandages.)

10x Strawberry Ferment (Rotten) + Pot + Rubber Tube + Heatsource = 1x Strawberry Brandy.

Apples and Blueberries can be done the same way.

Corn is used to make whiskey, and more importantly, moonshine. Things made from grain and the likes tend to be a little more involved, as you usually need to boil the mixture.

Corn + Water + Whatever fermentation starter you go for + Heatsource = 10x Corn Mash.

10x Corn Mash + Pot + Rubber Tube + Heatsource = White Lightning (Bilabooze?)

Potatoes are also a good fermentable. You can make a rather tasty wine out of them easily enough.

Potatoes + Water + Heatsource = Young Potato Wine

Potato Wine could then be distilled like the corn mash to make Vodka (Although you can make vodka from corn as well), or bottled as a wine to drink.

Of course, it wouldn't be doing justice if we didn't have the less refined drinks out there, and potato wine and moonshine is pretty hick, to be honest.

6x Candy or Sugar or Fruit or Juice + Water + Sock = Pruno, or Prison Wine. Socks are actually used, along with whatever bits of sugar you can get your hands on, be it raisins or candy, even ketchup. This is usually shoved in any old container to ferment for a while. Somewhat 'distilled' versions do exist, which are produced with a black trash bag and a light fixture. Mouldy Bread is also commonly used in place of the sock, or with it. I'm sure it adds character or something.

Sugar and Water can be made into an alcohol that can be like a strong wine. You could also distill it, which it would sort of be like rum, I suppose, although I imagine it'd be more like moonshine or vodka. Things like this are popular in Northern Alaska and other dry areas, as sugar and yeast are abundant outside of prison, but it's easier and quicker than properly brewing a beer.

Beer would just be malt, fermentation agent, and hops boiled together to make wort, which when it goes rotten could be bottled into beer. It's worth noting that they sell rabbit pellets of Hops at most brew stores, and usually malt as well. You could add those as things to be found in Liquor Stores along side the usual fair. You could also make malt from corn, so that's another source for beer. Beer made from corn would probably be called Chicha, which can also be made by just chewing the corn and leaving it outside in big balls of chewed up corn and spit. Beer would essentially distill into a type of whiskey, I don't know what it'd be called, but it's not an unheard of thing.

Triffids, with their plant marrow, would probably make a wonderful drink too. Although they're probably oily, as in the fiction they're from they were used as an energy source.

Plant Marrow + Water + Heatsource + Water = Triffid Nectar

Triffid Nectar (Rotten) could be bottled as Triffid's Sting, or distilled into The Great Blindness.

Marloss Berries could make... interesting wine. Possibly wine that heals you or draws on other marloss effects.

Beer from the store should be distillable into something amusing. "Coor's Heavy" or the like. "Colorado Kool Aid." ect. ect.

Other tangentially related ideas could be the boiling of woodland mushrooms to make an intoxicating tea, or possibly even an alcohol with forest veggies and mushrooms in it that has various effects.

Disinfectant would probably be alcohol based. It might be possible to make alcohol with it by filtering it in some manner, perhaps through bread. Also, mouthwash filtered through bread would be another suitable drink on the level of pruno and such.

That's all I've got for now. Although on a different note, static spawn only pertains to zombies, the dynamic code is still used for everything else. So if you want special spawns like that you can still have it work in Static Mode.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Inadequately posted:

If we are allowed to request things, I'd definitely like to see a way to process rotting fruits into some sort of biofuel, as an alternative to gasoline. I'd also like to see some sort of farming system introduced, so that farm lots aren't completely useless once the initial crops rot. Maybe rotten meat could be processed into fertilizer, too.

Also, I think allies need a rework. As it stands, friendly dogs/blobs/manhacks more or less amount to 'attack anything in the area indiscriminately, then wander off'. Some method of telling them to follow you around or stay would be good for guarding your base, and maybe some way to tell them to ignore some creatures, so you don't wake up to find dozens and dozens of squirrel corpses around your house.

Comedy option: Fertilizing plants with tainted meat/growing rotten veggies allows you to grow friendly triffids.

Finally, some way to start fires without a lighter or matchbook would be nice. Maybe the trade-off is that it takes more time and effort, and you can only do it with higher survival skill.

Basically I want to play a crazy mountain man who shuns the false trappings of civilization, going around with an army of pets and burning down cities.

Edit: also, don't worry about breaking saves too much. Half the fun is starting out a fresh character anyway. If I really feel like carrying on an older character, I just use debug mode to give myself all his skills/mutations/stuff.

There's a "fire drill" you can use which I think you can craft using skewers and string.

gently caress all this talk of booze is making me want to go grab a jackie d.

narcoticgoldfish
Oct 30, 2007

PiCroft posted:

gently caress all this talk of booze is making me want to go grab a jackie d.

A coders best friend!

KoL- your knownledge of backyard boozing is both frightening and awe inspiring. Can we be Pruno Pals?

I've got the still added in (requires a metal tank, rubber hose, pot, and nearby fire source to use) - its not too heavy but does take up a lot of volume, as I'm hoping to encourage setting up a base camp rather than running around with a portsastill cranking out white lightning by the gallon. I should have most, if not all of the recipies you listed in the Monday push, along with some goodies like the Triffid Truffle.

Thanks for the tip about the dynamic spawn, I think my next focus will be on NPCs, and specifically the ability to make and manage a party (and stop truth teller and ugly from amounting to free points, hah). As Inadequately said, nonhuman allies in this build are basically useless after an area has been cleared, though if I remember correctly there is a way to manage your human companions via dialogue trees.

I think biofuel will be fairly easy to add as a craftable, though for simplicities sake I will make biofuel and gasoline interchangeable for the moment, as creating a whole new list of cars and engines that run specifically on rotting veggies would be a fairly time consuming activity for not much return. While I am at it, I'll add some grease to fast food joints that can be converted to fuel in a similar manner.

There was a welder shaped hole in my heart that I did not know even existed until Inadequately mentioned the difficulties in finding the elusive tool.. It'll be in this push on Monday, I'll have all the recipies and requirements listed in the change log then.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, sure. I feel like having some illicit hooch after loosing my guy to smoke inhalation. Guess I don't have an excuse to go around with out a gas mask when I've got a tank stocked to the brim with them. Monday can't come fast enough. Will Picroft be pushing out a new GDA then? Wanna be able to siphon my water stores out instead of having a jerry can strapped to the back of my car to refill my waterskin.

Also, I like seeing more reasons to settle. I do it anyways, but there's something nice about playing unreal world in Cataclysm.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

narcoticgoldfish posted:

Smokers are the most dangerous zombie mob by far; I've died more times from hacking a lung up than I have from, well, anything. However, you can wear a filter mask or similar to diffuse the effects of smoke, so at least there exists a counter. Maybe I should look into making cough drops or somesuch to counteract the inhalation if you're caught without a mask...add another one to the list!

Maybe adding the ability to treat smoke inhalation to the inhaler would work. It's not the most realistic thing, but it seems like it would be easier than adding in a full 02 tank and breathing mask.

I think Dayquil prevents or reduces the coughing if your sick, but I'm not entirely sure on that one.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jonny Retro posted:

Maybe adding the ability to treat smoke inhalation to the inhaler would work. It's not the most realistic thing, but it seems like it would be easier than adding in a full 02 tank and breathing mask.

I think Dayquil prevents or reduces the coughing if your sick, but I'm not entirely sure on that one.

Actually, the inhaler would help, it'd reduce the inflammation and open up the lungs. This is a pretty good idea.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Jonny Retro posted:

Dayquil has antitussive drugs in it, so yes it does.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Maybe it's just me but what I'd like to see is alternate enemy sets. Something like an apocalypse setting where you can pick if you want a zombie apocalypse, spore apocalypse, robot apocalypse, or extra dimensional apocalypse that makes it so the normal enemy types you run into change. It would be cool to not always be fighting zombies for your average enemies. It would make different builds more important in other situations. Like being quiet during a robot apocalypse isn't important because they operate through IR vision or something or fighting anything from an extra dimensional apocalypse would be terrible until high levels because everything is giant hulking monsters. I just think fighting the same zombies, shockers, hulks, and smoke zombies gets kind of dull after a while and there's so many other kinds of enemies that hardly ever appear. Hell maybe even just a mad max setting where the enemies are all crazy guys in football gear with tricked out cars.

I'd be so much work to do but would be so cool. I just think it would be rad to have something where survival and hiding is more useful then being able to find a jillion pounds of ammo and blow away tons of zombies.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I wouldn't mind seeing more queen/heart type deals with the spawn tables. I play on Static cause I enjoy the sense of being able to clean up a town, but the numbers that spawn are kind of anemic. Having a few high value tough targets I can focus on taking down to clear a town out of spawning zombies eventually would probably be a better way of doing it.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
The GDA post is now up to date.

In the future shoot me a PM when a new build is released so I can update the GDA post on the front page.

Edit: Just an FYI. The Suggestion form in the GDA post is still monitored.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19yPWYabJaKwv-FIGv5YSE4tcYZVRKMkjbI8dzA7yu68/viewform

Calipark fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 21, 2013

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
By the way the newbie guide doesn't work anymore because longbow requires Archery 3. Speaking of which, I don't know if it was nerfed but I couldn't kill poo poo with a bow the last time I tried.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The basic wood arrows and longbow were nerfed, but if you grind to about archery 9, you can make metal arrows and a reflex recurve bow, which gives you the range and penetration of a rifle with none of the drawbacks.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

e: above largely has the point for goonCata as I understand it - the ranged rebalance hasn't been pulled in for that aside from the new archery recipes so all you have to do to make archery super awesome there is craft a lot of wood shafts - there's plenty of wood to craft with in the shelter to even just get archery 3 for a longbow, which works out swell with small game arrows until you can craft metal arrows and the reflex bow.

If you're playing regular Cata and not goonCata then yeah, it's basically part of a rebalance that was not paired with the part that would keep archery something that actually made sense to build for. Dispersion did nothing and now it's incredibly meaningful, which along with some hasty stat rebalancing that made base stats give ranged penalties nerfed archery into the ground. No idea how long until that dropped ball is picked up.

In the meantime, you should build in four points of dodge skill at the very least along with high strength and dexterity, then either craft a knife spear or a crowbar and lead zombies over bushes so you don't get the poo poo beat out of you right away. Try to pick up a decent number of rocks so you can train throwing on the zombies while you wait for them to walk over bushes and then maybe you'll have a way to soften up targets before you kill them with your real weapon. Don't even try to fight wolf spiders until after you can beat down a zombie in one hit while wearing two backpacks, though - between their damage and poison, two in quick succession will easily kill you if you can't dodge or hit them hard enough to bypass their armor. Zombie dogs are also really nasty - engage around tough terrain to slow them if possible, take advantage of their tendency to run away for a short bit after biting you once or twice to get near tough terrain to slow them down or pelt them with rocks if you're already in a good spot, then either prep to kill the rest of the crowd or hopefully apply some form of healing and painkillers. Don't be surprised if you can't advance much before your melee skill is better - torso penalties are a killer before you get better at whacking things. There are things you can do though; putting stuff you find in a house or store at the doorway and making notes on the map as to any notable loot that's not immediately handy helps with making sure you don't forget to go back for copper wire or whatever once you clear a section of town and keeps you light so you can drop your packs and fight as needed rather than have to drop twenty items so you aren't stuck with huge volume penalties.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 21, 2013

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Don't waste build points on Archery 3, you can smash a fridge on day one to get a rubber hose and build a slingshot, then grind out the first few levels plinking wild game with pebbles.

Another way to grind archery/throwing is to dig a few pits in a checkerboard pattern and lure a zombie through them. When he falls into one you've got more than a few turns to pelt him before he can climb out. Then move through the field again so he falls back in chasing you and repeat.

I also had an idea for crafting:

Many recipes either take a long time and could really be left unattended during most of it, or they take no time at all and really should. I wonder if the 'rotting' system could be adapted to allow unattended crafting. For example, with the stills being discussed you could craft a still, # rotten fruits, fuel/hotplate into a 'still (working)'. That item would rot into a 'still (finished)', which then could be crafted back into the original tools and the finished product.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Nevets posted:

Many recipes either take a long time and could really be left unattended during most of it, or they take no time at all and really should. I wonder if the 'rotting' system could be adapted to allow unattended crafting. For example, with the stills being discussed you could craft a still, # rotten fruits, fuel/hotplate into a 'still (working)'. That item would rot into a 'still (finished)', which then could be crafted back into the original tools and the finished product.
Unreal World uses a system like that. Whether it's useful to implement here is kind of debatable, though. Most recipes either don't take that long to finish in the first place or aren't something that it would make sense to automate. Boiling water takes less than five minutes, cooking a chunk of meat not much more. Making MK2 Energy Storages takes forever, but what are you going to do? Set it on the ground and tell it to assemble itself?

A way to craft directly out of the trunk of your car is something I'd rather see. Crafting already uses items in your direct environment, but not stuff that's in some kind of container. It'd save me a lot of inventory management. Also, maybe a "repair the whole car" button.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I appreciate the advice but man, those are some convoluted ways to play a game. Hopefully the devs will give archery another look.

narcoticgoldfish
Oct 30, 2007
I was called into work this morning, drat the luck. I have all the professions mentioned in the changelog added in, as well as most of the weapons and items (with about half the recipes for the still). I'm still aiming for a release later on in the evening, but that's really dependent on how long I will be staying at work. Further bulletins as events warrant!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

narcoticgoldfish posted:

I was called into work this morning, drat the luck. I have all the professions mentioned in the changelog added in, as well as most of the weapons and items (with about half the recipes for the still). I'm still aiming for a release later on in the evening, but that's really dependent on how long I will be staying at work. Further bulletins as events warrant!

Will you be pushing your changes to pi so he can add them to the latest GDA that will hopefully have those folding bycicles in the latest DDA?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I've done a merge so the next GDA will have the latest DDA stuff in, including folding cycles and the new bionsic/professions.

I'll wait till narcoticgoldfish sends a pull request and then make another build.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Nevets posted:

Don't waste build points on Archery 3, you can smash a fridge on day one to get a rubber hose and build a slingshot, then grind out the first few levels plinking wild game with pebbles.

Another way to grind archery/throwing is to dig a few pits in a checkerboard pattern and lure a zombie through them. When he falls into one you've got more than a few turns to pelt him before he can climb out. Then move through the field again so he falls back in chasing you and repeat.

I also had an idea for crafting:

The problem with archery is and always has been that crafting ammunition/weapons trains the weapons skill. You can spend your first day smashing all the benches in the shelter and making arrows and walk out with a longbow and some field-point arrows, ready to do some damage, having never loosed a single shot. It's kinda dumb. Making arrows shouldn't jack your archery like that - or, maybe it could, but only to a certain point.

In fact, this is something that annoys me a bit in general. All sorts of menial tasks can arbitrarily raise whatever skills they're associated with. The problem isn't that they're associated with those skills, it's that they can raise them arbitrarily. And that doesn't make sense. Welding shut all the holes in your car's body shouldn't suddenly make you able to build an RV cooking unit - it should only make you better at welding shut holes. In the absence of a more granular skill system, what it should do is only be able to raise your mechanics to, say, 4. Making a shitton of arrows with hardened wood points shouldn't suddenly make you able to make a reflex recurve bow and headshot zombies all day - it should raise your skill enough to give you a brainwave of "maybe I should put feathers on the rear end end of this thing!", aka a level or two only. Cap it out with skillbooks.

The other thing is, and I'm not sure if this can be fixed at all, is that it feels like skills cap out too low in terms of active bonuses / recipes known / whatever. I know that adding more content is a pain and likely to be unbalanced, but the thing is that a lot of skills can be raised pretty much arbitrarily and after a while you just stop caring. Oh, my archery is at 15 now, I'm 5% more likely to hit. Great. Boring. Let me make sweet mods to, like, everything. Let my radiation-enhanced skill or whatever allow me to somehow make a bow out of paper. Or chitin. Let me make literally everything out of chitin. Chitin plates for my cars. A chitin bow. Fuckin chitin power armo- I'll stop.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

PiCroft posted:

I've done a merge so the next GDA will have the latest DDA stuff in, including folding cycles and the new bionsic/professions.

I'll wait till narcoticgoldfish sends a pull request and then make another build.

Yessss. Folding Bicycles will be great. At least until we can put trailers with ATV's or dune buggies, or sapient computerized Pontiac to ferry around.

The problem with the crafting raising skill is what would you have that'd make you better at mechanics? Welding and fixing a car certainly should make you more mechanically inclined. Why wouldn't fixing junked cars make you good at figuring out how to weld a hotplate to a sink and run some piping for water? Sure, it doesn't make much sense that building lots of arrows makes you better at shooting, but it certainly would mean you make better arrows. I'd imagine that can be abstracted into your skill. (You actually make straight arrows now, which is why you hit more, not that you make lots of arrows and suddenly got better aim.) The other problem is what fun does slower skill gain add. Do you guys really want to spend days standing outside the shelter shooting the same spot over and over for archery practice to get skilled enough to not miss all the time?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Butchering a bear and cooking all its meat on the spot raises your cooking skill enough that you suddenly know how to make crack! :haw:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, that one is a bit weird. I don't know why drugs use the cooking skill anyways. I certainly never learned how to make meth in GWS.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Yeah, that one is a bit weird. I don't know why drugs use the cooking skill anyways. I certainly never learned how to make meth in GWS.

It seems like a compromise to me. I always find enough useful drugs in houses that its never worth making my own, but allowing you to create mutation and purifier vials at a high skill level makes it very good. So instead of scrounging for rare materials to grind a chemistry skill up to a useful level they jut make it cooking.

That being said I really think basic cooking needs a boost. There's almost no point in cooking anything besides meat. If i take the time to make a pizza it should give a really good happiness bonus.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Spoken like a true goon.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

The problem with the crafting raising skill is what would you have that'd make you better at mechanics? Welding and fixing a car certainly should make you more mechanically inclined. Why wouldn't fixing junked cars make you good at figuring out how to weld a hotplate to a sink and run some piping for water? Sure, it doesn't make much sense that building lots of arrows makes you better at shooting, but it certainly would mean you make better arrows. I'd imagine that can be abstracted into your skill. (You actually make straight arrows now, which is why you hit more, not that you make lots of arrows and suddenly got better aim.) The other problem is what fun does slower skill gain add. Do you guys really want to spend days standing outside the shelter shooting the same spot over and over for archery practice to get skilled enough to not miss all the time?

See, I think that it should work pretty much like xp in most games: doing easy stuff doesn't help you as much. Shooting at trees might raise your archery to 3. But to get it higher you're gonna have to find a moving target, like a squirrel. Then a hostile target, like a coyote. Then something inherently scary, like a zombie, and so on. For mechanics, changing tires only gets you so good at things. Want to learn how to do really cool poo poo? Make the things that are at the edge of your skill level.

The basic point is that in cataclysm, as of right now with there only being sandbox mode, you're almost never forced into combat. That means that you're not forced into challenges. That in my opinion is bad: there hours always be something intrinsic to the game mechanics driving you to do cool poo poo, and I think this sort of crafting would accomplish that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Honestly, there are more than enough skills in the game already. Yeah, it creates some kinda implausible situations, but unless you want to go "Linguistics: Grammar" silliness like some games do there's just a where you have to put up with this sort of thing.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I think alot of the problems with grinding skills letting you make better equipment could be alleviated if they made alot more of the recipes book-only ones.

I think the best way to work things would be to have 3 tiers of books for all the crafting skills:

Magazine (Common)
Req 0 skill
Train to 2 skill
1 or 2 recipes

Book (Uncommon)
Req 0 Skill
Train to 4 skill
2 or 3 recipes

Textbook (Rare)
Req 3 skill
Train to 6 skill
2 or 3 recipes

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Phobeste posted:

See, I think that it should work pretty much like xp in most games: doing easy stuff doesn't help you as much. Shooting at trees might raise your archery to 3. But to get it higher you're gonna have to find a moving target, like a squirrel. Then a hostile target, like a coyote. Then something inherently scary, like a zombie, and so on. For mechanics, changing tires only gets you so good at things. Want to learn how to do really cool poo poo? Make the things that are at the edge of your skill level.

The basic point is that in cataclysm, as of right now with there only being sandbox mode, you're almost never forced into combat. That means that you're not forced into challenges. That in my opinion is bad: there hours always be something intrinsic to the game mechanics driving you to do cool poo poo, and I think this sort of crafting would accomplish that.

That's fine, but that doesn't actually make any sense. People don't become good at shooting by going out and finding deer to shoot, they get good by shooting paper at a range. More importantly, you don't just change tires when you repair cars, you rebuild steering column, fix engines, work with solar cells and batteries. I'd say that fixing a car would rapidly make you a pretty drat good mechanic. Book only recipies probably makes more sense then some sort of arbitrary "I think the game isn't grindy enough, so let's force everyone to grind!". Having to go into town to find good books is more of a push to do cool stuff than having to start shooting bushes, then shooting vermin, and then shooting zombies, and this... somehow making you better at making bows. Doubly so if you made it so each book only taught you one recipe. "You've learned how to make field point arrows from this Game and Wildlife Magazine, you'll need to find another to learn a new recipe."

That's a lot more satisfying than "I don't learn anything from fixing cars with just my welder and some scrap, better go build a thousand mufflers or something." Because I really don't see why taking apart cars wouldn't just make you a better mechanic period. Most of the recipes you learn in mechanics, like RV kitchen units are pretty trivial in real life to make anyways.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Just out of curiosity, are there any plans for weapon degradation? I was replaying System Shock 2 and thinking about how well this could apply to the Cataclysm endgame to keep highly-leveled characters on their toes. It could prove fatal if your bow string snapped while a jabberwock was charging you, or your katana snapped, our you neglected to clean your SCAR and it jams up on you. On the other hand it could very well descend into 'grind for scrap metal and cleaning kits' just as easy, I suppose.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Wild T posted:

Just out of curiosity, are there any plans for weapon degradation? I was replaying System Shock 2 and thinking about how well this could apply to the Cataclysm endgame to keep highly-leveled characters on their toes. It could prove fatal if your bow string snapped while a jabberwock was charging you, or your katana snapped, our you neglected to clean your SCAR and it jams up on you. On the other hand it could very well descend into 'grind for scrap metal and cleaning kits' just as easy, I suppose.

In my view, weapon degradation is a mechanic that is only rewarding in games that are trying to discourage you from fighting all the time. Like, Silent Hill or whatever works well with weapons breaking because if you can just kill everything instead of trying to run away the monsters aren't quite as scary. In games like Fallout: NV, weapon degradation is there as a money sink and as a way to keep low level players from cheesing themselves a powerful weapon in the early game and using it to mow down everything they encounter (the minigun you can get early in the game from a scripted event is broken.)

Really none of the above three things applies to this game. You're expected to fight zombies in this game because it's not too easy to build a character that can outrun zombies since they're so persistent in chasing you and there's not really a way to stealth around them if they have line of sight to you. I've never played with NPCs and they're off by default, so there's not really an economy I can break by hoarding tons of money, and since the game is a roguelike if you happen upon a powerful item in the early game it's fitting you can use it right away because you need every advantage you can get.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea. The game already has all the code for item damage, it just doesn't apply it based on usage. Implementing a maintenance mechanic based on your Mechanics and Firearms skill would be pretty trivial, just mirror what already happens to clothing you wear. The question is really just whether you want Cataclysm to be more action-focused or more simulation-focused.

It'd be trivial to implement it as an optional mechanic, though, so no reason not to have both.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Actually it's not too hard to break contact cleanly with zombies. The trick is your smell - zombies will follow your scent a log way and eventually hit you where you rest. I've found a safe trick is to retreat through a building you have already cleared of loot, smash down an internal door (and maybe pop off a round or two if you have a gun), then set it on fire and split out the opposite door. Z's following your scent will either burn to death if they are close enough, or lose your scent thanks to the large amounts of smoke.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

One funny thing to do is to exploit the fact that smokers, well, smoke. Find yourself a smoker and run through his smoke cloud right into a building, bam, no more scent trail and the smoker is none the wiser either, because they're the stupidest zombies and deprive themselves of sight and smell by design.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

If weapon maintenance is a thing, I'd rather see PiCroft's mix-and-match gun parts system become a thing for when I'm finding new parts to keep my weapon in service.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Mix and match gunsmithing would be pretty cool, and probably fit in with the future setting anyways. Still like having the default guns around, but even being able to change the barrels and mess with various stocks would be pretty fun. I need some tactilol poo poo when I'm fighting zombies. Put rails on everything, slap some accessories on, and put more rails on them! I want to make TFR posters cry when I go clean out a lab.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012
It would be nice to have those scent masking sprays hunters use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
A few hunting related items and a hunter starting class could be great. Starting with a hunting rifle, some camo, supplies, and a ice chest full of beer.