Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It seems like it's all exclusive to the missions, though I haven't gone to check.

What's the point of the smg in the sniper's run, by the way? You can't actually use it without getting an alarm raised because it isn't silenced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

RBA Starblade posted:

It seems like it's all exclusive to the missions, though I haven't gone to check.

What's the point of the smg in the sniper's run, by the way? You can't actually use it without getting an alarm raised because it isn't silenced.

If you are impatient you can use it to quick headshot isolated guards or guard pairs, like the guys you run into right after the first zipline. It does seem silly they didn't silence it, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dogen posted:

If you are impatient you can use it to quick headshot isolated guards or guard pairs, like the guys you run into right after the first zipline. It does seem silly they didn't silence it, though.

Does it kill on headshots? I didn't know that. I guess it's easier than swinging the rifle around before the second guy reacts, though.

The ranger mission is pretty cool. Is there a time limit or endpoint for it, or do you just keep playing it until you get bored? Also, do the suits stack or is it one or the other?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 19, 2013

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Picked this game up recently. Managed to get a good five or six levels in before getting that dreaded frame drop. The games great and I've been thinking about getting the season pass. Has anyone played the Faction pack/is it worth it? Same question for the ranger pack to, though reading this thread tells me yes.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Unbound posted:

Picked this game up recently. Managed to get a good five or six levels in before getting that dreaded frame drop. The games great and I've been thinking about getting the season pass. Has anyone played the Faction pack/is it worth it? Same question for the ranger pack to, though reading this thread tells me yes.

Ranger mode isn't as well done as in the first game (in Last Light, it limits you to two weapons for no reason, and on Ranger Hardcore the devs mistook "minimal hud" for "giving you literally no information"), but in terms of combat and ammo scarcity I still consider it the best way to go. Play it on Ranger Easy if you plan on restarting to complete a first playthrough with it- it gives you slightly more to work with. Hell, play it on Ranger Easy if you plan to do Ranger on a second playthrough, the sheer lack of information on Hardcore is more distracting than immersive.

The faction pack is maybe 2 hours (the bulk of which is the Library mission), but worth it. I recommend the season pass if you want more after finishing the main game.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Cheston posted:

Ranger mode isn't as well done as in the first game (in Last Light, it limits you to two weapons for no reason, and on Ranger Hardcore the devs mistook "minimal hud" for "giving you literally no information"), but in terms of combat and ammo scarcity I still consider it the best way to go. Play it on Ranger Easy if you plan on restarting to complete a first playthrough with it- it gives you slightly more to work with. Hell, play it on Ranger Easy if you plan to do Ranger on a second playthrough, the sheer lack of information on Hardcore is more distracting than immersive.

The faction pack is maybe 2 hours (the bulk of which is the Library mission), but worth it. I recommend the season pass if you want more after finishing the main game.

Awesome, I'm doing a hardcore run now, but I think when I finish it Ranger Hardcore next on the list. Something about 'seemingly impossible' mixed with 'No HUD.' I think I should wait on the Faction pack until I at least see the other parts of it. But if this one is great, then the next only needs to be moderately okay for me to feel justified enough for that purchase.

I had a patch earlier today too. Seems like they are trying to fix the stuttering problem. I still dip into the 20s on the level I'm in, but that's better than the low teens I was getting before.

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho
It's not at all "seemingly impossible", I'd even argue that Ranger Hardcore is easier in many ways than normal mode. The reduced enemy health makes fights quicker and lets you expend less ammo, and you don't suffer that much from your own reduced health. The loss of the UI is a pain in the dick but doesn't actually make the game much harder at all.

I'd pay a buck extra on top of the ranger DLC to bring back a counter for out-of-clip ammo and basic goddamn interface elements like knowing what pressing use on an NPC will do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Polis level is terrifying. :gonk:

It's kind of funny how the one librarian will try and fake you out, though. And I love how you'll encounter other rangers every now and again.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does the new ammo in the Polis mission replace the normal ammo? As in, are there normal shells/magnum rounds, or only burny ones?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My game is crashing every time at the end of the section with the plane and the escalator. I get the freezeframe level ending, Artyom starts talking during the level load, and then it just disappears. Looking at afterburner I see that the GPU fan is spiking to max, and the gpu temp is ~60. It's been absolutely fine except for that one spot. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

edit: Verified cache, still not working. Double checked, it's actually the gpu usage going up to 100%. I'll try lowering the settings tomorrow, but it has been running completely smoothly on high settings. Afterburner is showing fps in the 50s, which is even better than I got in 2033. GTX 460 factory OCed to 850mhz, 1950 mhz memory clock.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 20, 2013

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
A thing I noted a few weeks ago on my Ranger/Ranger hardcore playthroughs - When the gently caress did Military grade ammo become incendiary? Burning nosalises everywhere.

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My game is crashing every time at the end of the section with the plane and the escalator. I get the freezeframe level ending, Artyom starts talking during the level load, and then it just disappears. Looking at afterburner I see that the GPU fan is spiking to max, and the gpu temp is ~60. It's been absolutely fine except for that one spot. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

edit: Verified cache, still not working. Double checked, it's actually the gpu usage going up to 100%. I'll try lowering the settings tomorrow, but it has been running completely smoothly on high settings. Afterburner is showing fps in the 50s, which is even better than I got in 2033. GTX 460 factory OCed to 850mhz, 1950 mhz memory clock.

If it helps, I'm getting the exact same thing. The game has been running perfectly but now its crashing when it begins to load up Bolshoi. I'm guessing it has something to do with installing the recent DLC.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

The Lone Badger posted:

Does the new ammo in the Polis mission replace the normal ammo? As in, are there normal shells/magnum rounds, or only burny ones?
Only burny ones. If you look at the tooltip screen enough times it says something like "be sure to try out our shiny new ammo!"

RBA Starblade posted:

The Polis level is terrifying. :gonk:

It's kind of funny how the one librarian will try and fake you out, though. And I love how you'll encounter other rangers every now and again.

You mean in the Documents room at the end? That really was the best kind of jump scare. The start was totally scripted, but the rest was terrifying, and without any loss of control. I don't think I've had one as good as that since Bioshock Infinite.

Running into the other two rangers was great, especially when one of them played piano.

Also, the Polis mission made me realize how small the Library level actually was in 2033. I have memories of it being a massive, sprawling maze, but it's pretty compact. Devs reeeeeally got good at minimizing memory usage this generation.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

A few questions. Does the Polis DLC level have checkpoints? Whenever I die or reload a checkpoint it reloads that loving awful Reich Heavy mission.

And is there anyway to save your progress on the Polis mission so you can come back and play later? It's getting kind of old having to restart every time.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

fennesz posted:

A few questions. Does the Polis DLC level have checkpoints? Whenever I die or reload a checkpoint it reloads that loving awful Reich Heavy mission.

And is there anyway to save your progress on the Polis mission so you can come back and play later? It's getting kind of old having to restart every time.

No checkpoints. You save by returning to your bunk, which is located where you started the DLC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cheston posted:

Only burny ones. If you look at the tooltip screen enough times it says something like "be sure to try out our shiny new ammo!"

You mean in the Documents room at the end? That really was the best kind of jump scare. The start was totally scripted, but the rest was terrifying, and without any loss of control. I don't think I've had one as good as that since Bioshock Infinite.

Running into the other two rangers was great, especially when one of them played piano.

That one is pretty good, but I meant in the room a bit after that, where the Librarian will rough you up a bit then leave, then if you head up the stairs it jumps out again just to make sure.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

No checkpoints. You save by returning to your bunk, which is located where you started the DLC.

I tried that and it won't let me do anything when I go to the bunks. I did a youtube search and realized that there's a door you have to go through to save - not to the bunks.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lil Bit O Vitriol posted:

If it helps, I'm getting the exact same thing. The game has been running perfectly but now its crashing when it begins to load up Bolshoi. I'm guessing it has something to do with installing the recent DLC.

I didn't buy any of the DLC, so that can't be it for me. I'm going to try cleaning out my fan, but it still doesn't make any sense.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

fennesz posted:

I tried that and it won't let me do anything when I go to the bunks. I did a youtube search and realized that there's a door you have to go through to save - not to the bunks.

I always thought that's where your bunk was? I guess not. Well, either way, you found it!

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
How does this compare to the first? When I bought it in late 2010, Metro 2033 was the first video game (except Guitar Hero and Civ) that I played since KOTOR, so perhaps I was a little starstruck but I remember enjoying it despite the linearity and a general feeling of being indifferent but questioning the point of the ammo system. Never replayed it. I'm on a 3GHz i5 760 with a GTX 660 and 12 GB RAM, so while it's hardly the best system I suppose I should be able to play it on medium. Still not quite sure about the $30 price point. I would have gone for it at $20 without question but I need to be a little more careful with my money these days after a vacation, one that I was forced to prolong, that overextended my wallet :( I don't play games very often FWIW; I haven't even launched a game in a month and the last game I bought was FC3, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

cancelope fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 20, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

asaf posted:

How does this compare to the first? When I bought it in late 2010, Metro 2033 was the first video game (except Guitar Hero and Civ) that I played since KOTOR, so perhaps I was a little starstruck but I remember enjoying it despite the linearity and a general feeling of being indifferent but questioning the point of the ammo system. Never replayed it. I'm on a 3GHz i5 760 with a GTX 660 and 12 GB RAM, so while it's hardly the best system I suppose I should be able to play it on medium. Still not quite sure about the $30 price point. I would have gone for it at $20 without question but I need to be a little more careful with my money these days after a vacation, one that I was forced to prolong, that overextended my wallet :( I don't play games very often FWIW; I haven't even launched a game in a month and the last game I bought was FC3, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

You could play it on close to max settings, probably. You have better parts than I do all around I and I play it almost maxed out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have a 660ti, and a much worse processor than you, and I managed to get a decent consistent 40ish framerate on very high settings, and it looked spectacular. Just turn off PhysX, and you should be good to go.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
I'm having a pretty major fuckup with this game. Every time I get to the end of the chapter "Echoes" and the next level starts loading I get a crash to desktop. I've done everything like starting in safe mode, installing the newest drivers from AMD, but I still get the crash. Is this game still just hosed up for AMD users?

I really don't want to have to re-install the game or something, even though I don't think I'm that far into it.

GPU is a 7800 series AMD card. Aside from this crash, the game has been running great for me.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Holybat posted:

I'm having a pretty major fuckup with this game. Every time I get to the end of the chapter "Echoes" and the next level starts loading I get a crash to desktop. I've done everything like starting in safe mode, installing the newest drivers from AMD, but I still get the crash. Is this game still just hosed up for AMD users?

I really don't want to have to re-install the game or something, even though I don't think I'm that far into it.

GPU is a 7800 series AMD card. Aside from this crash, the game has been running great for me.

Lil Bit O Vitriol posted:

We all were crashing at the exact same place. I finally solved it by dropping my settings down quite a bit. Turned off tesselation, resolution down a ways, quality to low. It still spiked to near max at points there, I think it was a combination of loading the next level and the flamethrowers really taxing the card. Try turning the settings way the gently caress down. I've turned them back up again now that it's loaded, it all seems to be working fine.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We all were crashing at the exact same place. I finally solved it by dropping my settings down quite a bit. Turned off tesselation, resolution down a ways, quality to low. It still spiked to near max at points there, I think it was a combination of loading the next level and the flamethrowers really taxing the card. Try turning the settings way the gently caress down. I've turned them back up again now that it's loaded, it all seems to be working fine.

:doh: didn't realize that you guys were talking about the same part of the game. I'll give this a try, thanks

edit: this fix worked for me too, thanks again!

Holybat fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 21, 2013

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That worked for me, thanks!

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
I didn't notice the bodies in the cramped tunnel in the chapter Khan on my first playthrough. Nearly got a heart attack when I saw them now.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
If this game was mod-able I would love to try and do a photography type game out of it. I anytime something happened (set piece or vista view) I mashed my screenshot button a million times and still not satisfied with some of the results.

One thing I recently remembered pretty vividly from the book that was absent from the game the top of the Kremlin and the hypnosis ooze need to somehow appear in the next game, if there is one.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I want someone to mod out the ammo/filter limit, some sort of hoarder mod. I just hate having to leave ammo lying around

edit: Also goddamn the ending level is so lovely in this game.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 25, 2013

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
I bought this already because somebody told me I can get the ranger difficulty without paying. Seems the old trick doesn't work and I shouldn't be spending any money at all right now. :negative:

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Is there any easy way to determine if I have all the DLC installed via steam? When I visit in the game store and steam store it asks me to repurchase things I know I already have; Hardcore mode, book, and other pre-order goodies(I think rpk). If I am not mistaken the RPK was a pre-order item too but I am not sure.

I just purchased the pass earlier and mostly want to try out the faction DLC though it seems I lost my Save data somehow (even with cloud save enabled) so I I'll need to start over on my RHC, not that I was that far anyways. This seems overly convoluted compared to other games' DLC menu since my steam properties for DLC shows 5 items, (season pass, book, HC, RPK and faction) though ingame it doesn't detect them or display that I have the license of ownership. After purchasing the Pass this morning I didn't see any new downloads pop up under the steam download tab either, so I just want to make sure this is all correct.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Scyron posted:

Is there any easy way to determine if I have all the DLC installed via steam? When I visit in the game store and steam store it asks me to repurchase things I know I already have; Hardcore mode, book, and other pre-order goodies(I think rpk). If I am not mistaken the RPK was a pre-order item too but I am not sure.

Right-click it in your library and select View Downloadable Content.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

PureRok posted:

Right-click it in your library and select View Downloadable Content.

You literally glossed over that I said I checked that, didn't you?

Scyron posted:

This seems overly convoluted compared to other games' DLC menu since my steam properties for DLC shows 5 items, (season pass, book, HC, RPK and faction) though ingame it doesn't detect them or display that I have the license of ownership. After purchasing the Pass this morning I didn't see any new downloads pop up under the steam download tab either, so I just want to make sure this is all correct.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 29, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Scyron posted:

You literally glossed over that I said I checked that, didn't you?

I skimmed it. I assumed that you didn't check that because if you did you wouldn't be asking the question.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

Like I said before though too, There is no way ingame to check what you have or don't have and it asks for me to repurchase DLC I already outright own, which no other game on steam does. The other games will flatout show, I already own the license, that is why I bring it up.

I don't want to assume it is all properly installed because then I should be able to pickup whatever DLC and play it, but that is not the case.

Whatever, I'll just go through RHC, then I guess I can play the DLC? I didn't want to playthrough the whole game again just to play STALKER in the library. It is overly convoluted, stupid and right up there with NO HUD whatsoever for RHC, even when in a safezone and all the time in the world to check the backpack.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Scyron posted:

Like I said before though too, There is no way ingame to check what you have or don't have and it asks for me to repurchase DLC I already outright own, which no other game on steam does. The other games will flatout show, I already own the license, that is why I bring it up.

I don't want to assume it is all properly installed because then I should be able to pickup whatever DLC and play it, but that is not the case.

Whatever, I'll just go through RHC, then I guess I can play the DLC? I didn't want to playthrough the whole game again just to play STALKER in the library. It is overly convoluted, stupid and right up there with NO HUD whatsoever for RHC, even when in a safezone and all the time in the world to check the backpack.

Recommend you try "chapters" and then hit q

MadBimber fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 30, 2013

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

MadBimber posted:

Recommend you try "chapters" and then hit q

Thank you. That is very helpful. I suppose if I took a second and read that option I wouldn't have had to post such stupid questions. :negative:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This game plays rather well on normal settings on my aging HD4890 :o:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm not sure if this is a bug or what, but I'm having trouble looting ammunition directly from the magazine of dropped weapons. Google hasn't helped me find people with similar problems, and there wasn't anything in the OP about it either. For the first few levels it worked just like in 2033, you just look at a dropped weapon and see the ammo icon overlaying the switch weapon icon, tap E and get the ammo. But all of a sudden it just stopped letting me do that. Switching weapons shows that they still have the usual rounds left in the magazine, and switching back and forth lets me get the ammo, but that's incredibly time consuming and annoying. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Scyron posted:

One thing I recently remembered pretty vividly from the book that was absent from the game the top of the Kremlin and the hypnosis ooze need to somehow appear in the next game, if there is one.
The amoeba spawner in D6 was the game version of that.

I kinda want to do an LP of this, but turning on Fraps grinds the game to a halt (GeForce 680, Intel Core 3.30 ghz, 4 gb ram). Anything to be done (besides turning down the graphics quality, which didn't help much)?

• Locked thread