Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Frankly the first season with its Grown-Up Pill-Popping Jonny Quest vs. The Eyebrow Goblin and his man-voiced girlfriend dressed like Jackie O dynamic still ought to carry an "OMFG what the gently caress am I watching" pull all its own.

Dolash, watch "Ghosts of the Sargasso" and just try to not powerchug the rest of S1 all in one sitting, whether you manage to get any friends to watch it with you or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Also keep in mind that the boys aren't the direct Johnny Quest parodies -- Doc is. He was straight up Johnny Quest in his day. The show deconstructs that archetype by showing what effect that sort of lifestyle would have on a kid and his future spawn. We see this even more directly dealt with in the appearances of the actual loving Johnny Quest on the show and how goddamn effed up he's become.

I've also always read Venture Bros as a representation of how pop fiction has evolved in the last few decades. I know this isn't intentional, but it's interesting to see the idyllic past of adventuring turn into the convoluted and dark thing we know comics and movies to be now. Watching the world turn from silver age shenanigans into a personal story about this broken old man is like reading some 60s Batman comics then moving on to Frank Miller.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cloks posted:

I was just rewatching Pomp and Circuitry and noticed some of these names:

They've had Phage and Flying Squid in the works for a while now.

Haha not only is the owner of the Chinese restaurant vendata and GR go to a super villain but he's so prolific he gets two whole file cabinets to himself.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Data Graham posted:

Frankly the first season with its Grown-Up Pill-Popping Jonny Quest vs. The Eyebrow Goblin and his man-voiced girlfriend dressed like Jackie O dynamic still ought to carry an "OMFG what the gently caress am I watching" pull all its own.

Dolash, watch "Ghosts of the Sargasso" and just try to not powerchug the rest of S1 all in one sitting, whether you manage to get any friends to watch it with you or not.

Grown up Johnny Quest has possibly the best line in the series so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF2Hli6oKeA&t=59s

Also, everything he does on Venture Bros is canon because its all owned by Turner Broadcasting.

Optimus Subprime fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 21, 2013

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

:supaburn: You loved that serum more than you loved me :supaburn:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Data Graham posted:

"...I don't know...they just...do that."

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cloks posted:

I was just rewatching Pomp and Circuitry and noticed some of these names:

They've had Phage and Flying Squid in the works for a while now.
Oh poo poo, Fat Chance in the lower-right too! I bet it explains all about his enigma hole.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So watching the preview and my buddy pointed out something regarding Hank being where he is. Triana said Kim is in Florida now.

GOONSPERGSPECULATION GOGOGO

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Optimus Subprime posted:

Grown up Johnny Quest has possibly the best line in the series so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF2Hli6oKeA&t=59s

Also, everything he does on Venture Bros is canon because its all owned by Turner Broadcasting.

I thought they had to change him to Action Johnny for some rights reasons.

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013
This will be a long day at work for me having to wait to get home to watch the new ep.

Speculation based on teaser trailer:- I hope Hank contributes to the Action Man having a stroke as predicted by Dr. O way back when

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

socialsecurity posted:

I thought they had to change him to Action Johnny for some rights reasons.

It's probably more that they have been trying to develop a Johnny Quest reboot for some time and whatever department was doing that wasn't too fond of his depiction as a broken pill popping wreck.

So all the JQ characters got renamed, Johnny Quest became "Action Johnny", Race became "Red", Doctor Zinn became "Doctor Z". I believe they gave Hadji a new name as well.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I didn't realize we'd ever seen Race outside of his death and that flashback to Hunter and Brock having a run-in with Shore Leave.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Why couldn't the Smurfs be egg laying mammals, 21, why couldn't they?

Also, I'd have expected you to know that Smurfette was actually a gynoid and Smurf reproduction was a huge question mark.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Have we confirmed that only Venture's can understand HELPER and if so do we have a list of those that can?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

No, Brock can.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dr Girlfriend sort of can, I think.

Although she's apparently capable of literally everything.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dolash posted:

From what I have seen of the earlier seasons, it looks like the titular Venture Brothers were hardly characters before things came to a head with the clone thing. That's part of what's discouraging me from watching the earlier seasons, I particularly like the direction of Dean's character and the confrontation he appears to be on the road toward.

If you like how Dean has progressed and you haven't seen him be fitted for his first speedsuit...or be exposed to prog rock ("You're not ready to enter the Court of the Crimson King! At this point in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist,") you're missing out on the entire character. I'm a Dean fan as well, and his evolution this season (well, the season premiere, mainly,) has been an absolute treat. "And I thought I told you to go gently caress yourself" had so much more payoff knowing where he started from.

So has anybody found any news about who won the 24 costume contest at Comic-Con, or what this week's shirt will be?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

looks like action man is having a good time.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

wizardstick posted:

This will be a long day at work for me having to wait to get home to watch the new ep.

Speculation based on teaser trailer:- I hope Hank contributes to the Action Man having a stroke as predicted by Dr. O way back when

The only thing I sperg out over is Dr. Orpheus, anything he says I take as truth because hes a Dr. Strange parody. A guy with infinite power but who no one takes seriously because of his failed marriage, and because of that never really tries to do much.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

JethroMcB posted:

If you like how Dean has progressed and you haven't seen him be fitted for his first speedsuit...or be exposed to prog rock ("You're not ready to enter the Court of the Crimson King! At this point in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist,") you're missing out on the entire character. I'm a Dean fan as well, and his evolution this season (well, the season premiere, mainly,) has been an absolute treat. "And I thought I told you to go gently caress yourself" had so much more payoff knowing where he started from.

So has anybody found any news about who won the 24 costume contest at Comic-Con, or what this week's shirt will be?

Adult swim posted a photo to their Facebook of the winner and the shirt. It's almost a profile shot and its pretty low quality. What I can make out is that it's a black shirt with a small red design with red and white writing on it.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Angular Landbury posted:

It's probably more that they have been trying to develop a Johnny Quest reboot for some time and whatever department was doing that wasn't too fond of his depiction as a broken pill popping wreck.

So all the JQ characters got renamed, Johnny Quest became "Action Johnny", Race became "Red", Doctor Zinn became "Doctor Z". I believe they gave Hadji a new name as well.

Radji I think is what they renamed him.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

JediTalentAgent posted:

They needed someone in the background dressed as Jefferson Twilight providing commentary on sexy costumes.

Sexy drat Freddy Krueger!

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Wasn't Hector the Venture universe's Haji?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Dynamite Dog posted:

Wasn't Hector the Venture universe's Haji?

Hector was Rusty's Hadji. Johnny's Hadji was Radji.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Here is the last t-shirt
http://www.titmousestuff.com/collections/venture-bros-2013-shirt-club/products/venture-bros-shirt-club-no-9-calamity-conference

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Awesome.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Hahaha shooting myself and burning this place down.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
So, who had Col. Gentleman and Action Man?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Motherfuckin' Aquaman underoos

Edit: Anyone else's cable loving up?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
This poem and pissing and making GBS threads
Dropping them and squat.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

First to die?

Eyebrow raised.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I think Dean lucked out here.

EDIT: BAD rear end.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
Awwww....Dr Entman.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Oh god. It's Venture tradition!

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Original Team Venture is great.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Not Humongoloid!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Colonel Gentleman is going to either kill or have sex with this man.

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice

Sash! posted:

First to die?

Eyebrow raised.

Caught that.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

drat, Col. Gentleman is still loving brutal, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

RandallODim posted:

Colonel Gentleman is going to either kill or have sex with this man.
Do those really have to be mutually exclusive?