Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Diabolique is cool as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'll buy M and Wings of Desire. I'll also take Night of the Hunter if caiman can't.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I'll take Seventh Seal and Black Narcissus if those haven't been claimed yet.

skog
Aug 20, 2009

i am not so sure posted:

Email me, you can buy Diabolique for me for $15 plus shipping.

Oh snap. Will do tonight/tomorrow morning when I get home

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I'll buy M and Wings of Desire. I'll also take Night of the Hunter if caiman can't.

Caiman paid me. Other two are yours. Email me.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

What would shipping cost to Canada, or are you just selling to US residents only?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

La Notte - Liked it, but no burning desire to see it again

Eyes Without a Face (BR upgrade) - see above

I Married a Witch - Never seen, rental

The Uninvited - Never seen, rental

John Cassavetes: Five Films (BR upgrade) - This is the tough one for me. I owned it on DVD, but sold it when Woman Under the Influence and Faces became available separately. AWUTI is top 5 of all time and I love Faces, but don't need to own the other films. I may wait on this one to see if they release the Blus separately

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

friendo55 posted:

What would shipping cost to Canada, or are you just selling to US residents only?

I don't know but if you find out and pay the cost I have no qualms.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
While we're on this, anyone want to do a weird deal for a Fanny & Alexander DVD box (very good condition) in exchange for i am not so sure's bluray of Sweet Smell of Success? (As in you pay him for Sweet Smell of Success and he ships it to me, I ship F&A to you.)

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

FitFortDanga posted:

John Cassavetes: Five Films (BR upgrade) - This is the tough one for me. I owned it on DVD, but sold it when Woman Under the Influence and Faces became available separately. AWUTI is top 5 of all time and I love Faces, but don't need to own the other films. I may wait on this one to see if they release the Blus separately

I wonder if they're upgrading A Constant Forge, too, since they didn't seem to upgrade its box art on the site. Maybe they're leaving it off for the Blu set?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I remember asking this a couple years ago, but figure it's worth hearing some new opinions.
There just seems to be so many great Eclipse sets and unsure which ones are really worth spending the money on.

Does anyone have any favourite sets? Which ones are most essential?
I'm thinking the Samuel Fuller set is right up my alley, and with this sale I figure these are worth discussing.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

friendo55 posted:

I remember asking this a couple years ago, but figure it's worth hearing some new opinions.
There just seems to be so many great Eclipse sets and unsure which ones are really worth spending the money on.

I'm thinking the Samuel Fuller set is right up my alley, and with this sale I figure these are worth discussing.

William Klein is very... unique

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

friendo55 posted:

The Sam Fuller set is worth it for The Steel Helmet alone. I like I Shot Jesse James a lot too and Baron of Arizona is damned interesting.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The Robert Downey Sr. set is worth it for Putney Swope alone.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lubitsch Musicals needs more love. The Love Parade is a masterpiece without a bit bit of early sound creakiness, dynamite chemistry between Maurice Chevelier and Jeanette MacDonald, the visual humor of a silent comedy, and it's funny. The Smiling Lieutenant is also very funny and full of pre-code naughtiness. Not quite in the same league is Monte Carlo, but still entertaining. One Hour with You is also very funny, but I don't remember as much. The set's worth it just for The Love Parade.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Lubitsch Musicals and Silent Naruse are the two I own that I couldn't do without. A close third is the Raffaello Matarazzo one. I like melodramas and Lubitsch a lot :shobon:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

friendo55 posted:

If you can find a copy for cheap, I'd recommend Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy. Other than that, I recommend Oshima's Outlaw Sixties if leftist Japanese New Wave interests you.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

VoodooXT posted:

If you can find a copy for cheap, I'd recommend Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy. Other than that, I recommend Oshima's Outlaw Sixties if leftist Japanese New Wave interests you.

Yeah, Saura's trilogy and the Lubitsch ones are the only ones I own, and they're great.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Hewlett posted:

I wonder if they're upgrading A Constant Forge, too, since they didn't seem to upgrade its box art on the site. Maybe they're leaving it off for the Blu set?

It will be an extra on one of the discs for sure.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Louise Malle documentaries are amazing. The Late Ozu set is really good if you're into him. Kaurismäki's Proletariat Trilogy is great if you like bleak comedy. The Chantal Akerman set is basically a series of masterpieces if you're a fan of her style. At least two of the films in the Allan King set are essentially required viewing for anyone who breathes.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
My dumb opinion says all the Eclipse sets run the spectrum of v. good to great, and seem like the only interesting "important classic and contemporary films" they are putting out these days. It's just a pity the back catalogues of the filmmakers, studios or movements chosen are reduced to the few films in them, and that's all that are championed and remembered.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

El Graplurado posted:

My dumb opinion says all the Eclipse sets run the spectrum of v. good to great, and seem like the only interesting "important classic and contemporary films" they are putting out these days. It's just a pity the back catalogues of the filmmakers, studios or movements chosen are reduced to the few films in them, and that's all that are championed and remembered.

My dumb opinion 100% agrees.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

El Graplurado posted:

I'm dying for a second Akerman set. There's so much great stuff by her that has never been given a proper release.

Edit: Case in point, J'ai faim, j'ai froid (1984), which was homaged in The Dreamers.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 16, 2013

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Been waiting forever for a non-silent Naruse set... sure they are on Hulu, but it's just not the same.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'll probably wait til next sale but I've been wanting to check out the Pearls of the Czech New Wave set. Daisies is so good it should have gotten it's own release.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

The Uninvited - Never seen, rental
This is a genuinely spooky and incredibly atmospheric movie that's well worth seeing. Martin Scorsese called it one of the best horror movies ever made. The mystery is very easy to figure out, though.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

El Graplurado posted:

Yea and judging by the variety of answers, it sounds like any one of these sets is a good purchase. I've already picked up Nikkatsu Noir, Saura's Flamenco trilogy, and When Horror Came to Shochiku, and all three I'd highly recommend.

Magic Hate Ball, which films in the Allan King set are you referring to? Also, I've never watched an Akerman film - what kind of style is she exactly? A lot of these filmmakers are ones I'm completely unfamilar with.

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 18, 2013

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
B&N 15% off code UZ38R9KDQ3YQU works with the sale.

edit:
It works with art house sale titles, but not Criterion titles.

robix smash fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 18, 2013

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Any other takers on my movies before I take it to SA Mart?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

robix smash posted:

B&N 15% off code UZ38R9KDQ3YQU works with the sale.

edit:
It works with art house sale titles, but not Criterion titles.

Oh, outstanding. Your code, the Blu-Ray sale, a $4 balance on a gift card, and my B&N credit card rebate saved me something like $25.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Sale's been extended through the first week of August!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I got a 20% members coupon today so I headed back to B&N. It seems one of these always comes out during the Criterion sale, so I held off buying the Shochiku Horror box. Their system didn't want to let me use the coupon, even tho there was nothing against the terms printed on it. The girl at the counter knew that it always works during the 50% off sale so she manually punched it in. $21.59 instead of $59.99, score!

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

I got a 20% off coupon in my email. I printed and used it to buy Shoah.

Not only did the coupon work no question asked... but it inexplicably took 50% off instead of 20%, making the total $22. :aaaaa:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Does Criterion typically utilize old transfers for previously released titles when they get a Blu Ray upgrade? I've just bought a few Blu Ray upgrades during the BN sale, and I've noticed that the Blu Rays for titles previously released on DVD, like Videodrome and The Battle of Algiers, all have "High Definition Resorations", just as the DVDs did, which likely means they're using the old HD transfer done x number of years ago. Though HD benefits from restorations done at a quality higher than HD res (2k/4k scans, which Criterion does for recent new titles and complete overhauls of old titles, like Rashomon and Lord of the Flies), I wouldn't normally be surprised that a company wouldn't want to spring the cash for new scans solely for Blu Ray when they have previous masters ready, but since Criterion pride themselves on quality, it is a bit surprising.

edit: Just as I'm sitting here writing this, I glanced at the Wild Strawberries BR and noticed it's from a new 2k scan, even though the DVD edition is still from the old HD scan from back in 2002. I suppose it might be based on the prestige of the title/director + projected sales or something along those lines. :shrug:

Origami Dali fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 20, 2013

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Does Criterion typically utilize old transfers for previously released titles when they get a Blu Ray upgrade? I've just bought a few Blu Ray upgrades during the BN sale, and I've noticed that the Blu Rays for titles previously released on DVD, like Videodrome and The Battle of Algiers, all have "High Definition Resorations", just as the DVDs did, which likely means they're using the old HD transfer done x number of years ago. Though HD benefits from restorations done at a quality higher than HD res (2k/4k scans, which Criterion does for recent new titles and complete overhauls of old titles, like Rashomon and Lord of the Flies), I wouldn't normally be surprised that a company wouldn't want to spring the cash for new scans solely for Blu Ray when they have previous masters ready, but since Criterion pride themselves on quality, it is a bit surprising.

edit: Just as I'm sitting here writing this, I glanced at the Wild Strawberries BR and noticed it's from a new 2k scan, even though the DVD edition is still from the old HD scan from back in 2002. I suppose it might be based on the prestige of the title/director + projected sales or something along those lines. :shrug:

It may just have to do with the way the transfers age. Wild Strawberries looks fantastic on DVD, but they probably needed a fresh transfer for Blu. The difference wouldn't be very easy to see on DVD probably.

Some films like Seven Samurai were done at 2K anyways, so it's not as if they have to re-do everything for Blu-Ray.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
B&N is seriously a terrible company. I pre-ordered Lord of the Flies, which came out Tuesday, and I hadn't gotten it yet, so I decided to check the order status. All it says is "Estimated delivery date: July 16th." So I obviously join the live chat and what's going on, and they tell me it's out-of-stock and they're going to ship it whenever they can.

They didn't send any email or anything telling me this, I had to go on their site and talk to a live representative to find this out. What a load of crap.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm limiting myself to one blu-ray for this sale, and I'm pretty sure I want another Kurosawa. I've already got Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Kagemusha, Seven Samurai, High & Low, and Rashamon. Any suggestions?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm limiting myself to one blu-ray for this sale, and I'm pretty sure I want another Kurosawa. I've already got Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Kagemusha, Seven Samurai, High & Low, and Rashamon. Any suggestions?

I think those are all of the Kurosawas that are on Blu-ray. If you want other good Japanese stuff, you could shell out $35 for the Samurai Trilogy, which stars Toshiro Mifune, or you could get Kuroneko, Ballad of Narayama, Branded to Kill/Tokyo Drifter, Late Spring or Sansho the Bailiff.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 22, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

GonSmithe posted:

B&N is seriously a terrible company. I pre-ordered Lord of the Flies, which came out Tuesday, and I hadn't gotten it yet, so I decided to check the order status. All it says is "Estimated delivery date: July 16th." So I obviously join the live chat and what's going on, and they tell me it's out-of-stock and they're going to ship it whenever they can.

They didn't send any email or anything telling me this, I had to go on their site and talk to a live representative to find this out. What a load of crap.

I got an email notice about The Devil's Backbone:

Barnes and Noble posted:

Dear Red,

We want to give you an update about the pre-ordered item(s) listed below. Unfortunately, we just got word that the release date for this item(s) has been changed. We expect to ship the item(s) soon and will email you when it is ready to leave our warehouse. If we cannot acquire the item(s) within 30 days, we will notify you by email.

However, if you would like to cancel this portion of your order, you may do so online at: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/orderstatus/.

We are working to fulfill the rest of your order as quickly as possible. Because we value you as a customer, we are sending the items that are currently available in your order now at no additional cost to you. Thanks for your patience.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay.

Sincerely,
-- Barnes & Noble

To review your order status, click http://www.barnesandnoble.com/orderstatus/

Then, I got a second email about the other item in my order, because that delivery is delayed, too. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Go for the Yojimbo/Sanjuro double feature since you save $4.99 compared to getting the two separately.