Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
A lot of Pre-Chrysler Mercs have the same setup as Beems with the rotor having a retaining bolt. And it's not uncommon to find that it's missing. If you're getting wheel play and find that the rotor retainer isn't there, look elsewhere for your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kastein posted:

haha, you think ANYONE actually changes their differential oil except rednecks with offroad trucks and car enthusiasts with track cars.

You're probably still doing better than about 75% of people who have differential oil to change.

I change mine every 36k miles. :smuggo:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The severe duty change interval on mine is 5,000 miles.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I'm off tomorrow so I'll put it up on stands and see if there's any crazy play in any of the joints. Visually, they looked the best out of any of my BMWs currently :v:

I'll also try and get a video to illustrate what I mean about the rotor moving. As far as the subframe goes, its a definite brake pedal and steering wheel feel "bump" then a pull to the passenger side so I don't think its anything out back.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If you think about it, it could pull to the one side because both brakes work normally, and if the bushing is destroyed on that side it will cause the arm to flex and pull you to that side. Pulling while braking is usually a mechanical failure of some kind, whether in the caliper or lines, or something messed up in the suspension.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

14", your SUSPENSION DETECTIVE.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

SuperDucky posted:

I'll also try and get a video to illustrate what I mean about the rotor moving.

We know what the rotor moving looks like. Without a retaining bolt, only the caliper is going to hold the rotor onto the assembly. It will have a LOT of movement. However, if you've read what others have already said, that movement goes to ZERO when you bolt the wheels back on, since the wheels sandwich the rotors to the hubs. That is not your problem (well, the understanding of it may be, but the mechanical portion isn't).

stump
Jan 19, 2006

It's been said before, but that sounds like classic BMW front control arm bush failure. I've done 40k in my e46 with no retaining bolts... no signs of movement whatsoever when I replaced them. In fact they weren't even rested against the wheel bolts.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

SuperDucky posted:

I'm off tomorrow so I'll put it up on stands and see if there's any crazy play in any of the joints. Visually, they looked the best out of any of my BMWs currently :v:

I'll also try and get a video to illustrate what I mean about the rotor moving. As far as the subframe goes, its a definite brake pedal and steering wheel feel "bump" then a pull to the passenger side so I don't think its anything out back.

I should note that the E46 M3 I test drove with bad subframe tearing had bad front-end vagueness / shifting as a symptom of it. Check for cracks where the rear subframe mounts to the unibody.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sofullofhate posted:

I should note that the E46 M3 I test drove with bad subframe tearing had bad front-end vagueness / shifting as a symptom of it. Check for cracks where the rear subframe mounts to the unibody.

Now THAT would be a horrible mechanical failure.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

sofullofhate posted:

:ohdear:

Change of plans, its not going up in the air until after finals on Thursday so I guess we can all keep playing internet detective till then.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Wish I could have been around to see this happen, it was beached outside my neighborhood on the way home this morning. Never seen a steelie fail like that, just aluminum wheels.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

meatpimp posted:

Now THAT would be a horrible mechanical failure.

Superior German engineering failure. :chord:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The process of a Club Roadster build had the owner discover this "work" from a PO:

Yes, that is a strut top. Yes, it is held on by a spot weld.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The process of a Club Roadster build had the owner discover this "work" from a PO:

Yes, that is a strut top. Yes, it is held on by a spot weld.

Did it fail?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It did not. Does that disqualify it for the thread?

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It did not. Does that disqualify it for the thread?

It's more of a before pic is all. When those go out it's pretty spectacular.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
From the turbine mess on the last page -

quote:

The working life defined by the manufacturer for the turbines was specified as 30 years. At the moment of accident the age of the turbine was 29 years and 10 months.

:regd08:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Working life is only a recommendation. If they were reinstalling it they were aiming for another 29 years and 10 months.

Mechanical karma? :v:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

DrPain posted:

It's more of a before pic is all. When those go out it's pretty spectacular.

How's this for before pics?

http://priuschat.com/threads/what-have-you-towed-with-your-prius.101934/

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151700663596112&set=a.10151700663361112.1073741846.101417046111&type=1&theater

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hahahahahahahaaa this is amazing. Toyota won't even allow a genuine towbar on a 1.5 corolla CVT, let alone a prius.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I thought Toyota didn't allow tow packs for hybrids due to the damage a tow bar would do to a battery pack if it pierced it from a rear end collision

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You Am I posted:

I thought Toyota didn't allow tow packs for hybrids due to the damage a tow bar would do to a battery pack if it pierced it from a rear end collision

That sounds doubtful to me. The prius battery is located immediately behind the rear row seat area, it has the entire boot region between it and the towbar/any potential collision.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Though engineers typically don't go "ehhh, it'll probably be alright" when it comes to fiery death.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

totalnewbie posted:

Though engineers typically don't go "ehhh, it'll probably be alright" when it comes to fiery death.

I'm pretty sure the "no towing" thing has nothing to do with crash safety and everything to do with the amount of torque the drivetrain was built for. There are a number of hybrid SUVs on the market rated for towing (such as the Highander), though usually not as much as the conventional version.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

I'm pretty sure the "no towing" thing has nothing to do with crash safety and everything to do with the amount of torque the drivetrain was built for. There are a number of hybrid SUVs on the market rated for towing (such as the Highander), though usually not as much as the conventional version.

Highlander and the various lexus hybrids spring to mind, however they have conventional gear ratios in addition to the hybrid CVT. The prius doesn't have any gears at all and therefore is extremely vulnerable to over-loading.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

totalnewbie posted:

Ford Motor Company would like a word.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Hey, I finally have something to contribute. Yay.

So yeah, that was a wonderful experience on my drive home. Now to find out if I'm filing a claim against the city or my insurance,...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Did that happen just by driving over it, or was the cover loose/sideways in the street?

Good luck with the city. I hit a manhole (cover was on it) that had sunk 6" into the pavement and it put a bubble in my sidewall. The city's response to my inquiry about being reimbursed for the tire was "we ran an article in the local paper about that six weeks ago, you should have known about it." Nevermind that I lived 30 miles away and couldn't have subscribed to their local paper if I wanted to :suicide:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Horrible grammatical error. found this sticker on my kubota engine.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Cockmaster posted:

Yeah, my point was just that "there's trunk space" between the batteries and a potential battery-piercing metal rod isn't really a good reason to stick the battery-piercing metal rod there.

IPCRESS posted:

Ford Motor Company would like a word.

Heh yeah...

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Geoj posted:

Did that happen just by driving over it, or was the cover loose/sideways in the street?

Good luck with the city. I hit a manhole (cover was on it) that had sunk 6" into the pavement and it put a bubble in my sidewall. The city's response to my inquiry about being reimbursed for the tire was "we ran an article in the local paper about that six weeks ago, you should have known about it." Nevermind that I lived 30 miles away and couldn't have subscribed to their local paper if I wanted to :suicide:

Driving over it.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

MikeyTsi posted:

Driving over it.

If you hit it hard enough to do that kind of damage to the wheel and tire, chances are the wheel bearing could be damaged as well as the alignment. Is it still driveable?

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
This is a fairly new Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel. The machine shop/tuner I go to had this dropped off a while ago. This is what he found inside. Apparently this is the 3rd engine Dodge has replaced for this guy. They are not going to cover this one.

Change your oil boys and girls!

Got sludge?

The guy that opened this engine said it's the worst he's ever seen. All the bearings are spun. The owner won't return his calls...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

jdfording posted:

This is a fairly new Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel. The machine shop/tuner I go to had this dropped off a while ago. This is what he found inside. Apparently this is the 3rd engine Dodge has replaced for this guy. They are not going to cover this one.

Got sludge?

The guy that opened this engine said it's the worst he's ever seen. All the bearings are spun. The owner won't return his calls...

The astonishing part is that dodge paid for the first two. Warranty must have been stoned on both days.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Root Bear posted:

If you hit it hard enough to do that kind of damage to the wheel and tire, chances are the wheel bearing could be damaged as well as the alignment. Is it still driveable?

Yeah. Tire still holds pressure, got it home. I expect the damaged sidewall will eventually bubble though, so I'm going to need to get that taken care of as soon as I can.

Yeah, going to do an alignment anyway, since it's probably fuckered. We'll see if anything else is trashed when I get it in to a shop.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

jdfording posted:

Got sludge?

Do please share any future updates. That is just astonishing.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Holy gently caress. How long was the last time the oil got changed in that? To kill a cummings like that is impressive.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

jdfording posted:

Got sludge?

I've seen JT8D jet engines full of carbon that looked better than this poo poo. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

you can't spell ferrari without F, i, r, and e.