Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

#1, which is now complete and boring: Build the ultimate computer as of 1999 for video games. I play quake and old dos games on it occasionally, it's fun to have.
#2, which I just started because I'm an idiot: Build a Win2K server using an old laptop to host a dedicated Quake 2 (or others?) server. For some reason Win2K is hella loving up.
#3, shitpost.

What stupid things do you waste boredom time on? I know Jonny has his BBS and somebody is making a Yosvape. Where the gently caress is the yostop anyway.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I take coursera classes. For people who didn't think college wasted enough time.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
been learning jabbascript to make calculators for russian powerlifting cycles

its not going well :/

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I tried that with a UFO investigation thing, but it started with IRL school and I forgot it. Does anybody know a good way to learn a language online that isn't horseshit fad crap?
Just to read or write, not the whole cultural experience.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
i actually used wikibooks to brush up on my french a while ago, wasn't as bad as you'd think

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/French

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

someone hacked apple. i assume it wasn't any of you assholes.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Angry Moo Cow posted:

someone hacked apple. i assume it wasn't any of you assholes.

lack of bill cosby indicates no, it wasn't

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

use a linux to host your quack 2

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

my idiot spare time project is writing an isometric engine in rust/sfml

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im trying to learn electronics a bit

the problem is i dont have a goal or anything to achieve

so its just buying and LED from dealextreme and hooking it up to power supply. whoop de do now what?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

so its just buying and LED from dealextreme and hooking it up to power supply. whoop de do now what?

make an a to d converter without chips

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ac to dc? hehehe cool

pretty sure i made a recitifier like a decade ago, half wave most likely

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

analog to digital :q:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

echinopsis posted:

buy an arduino and then call yourself a Hacker/Maker because you flashed that LED using code someone else wrote

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I have to build a dresser for my daughter. It's more of a chore than a project

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Angry Moo Cow posted:

thats not a nice thing to say about your kid

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

thats not a nice thing to say about your kid

My furniture making skills suck balls. If they want clothes they should build their own drat dresser to put it in

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my stepdads beer posted:

analog to digital :q:

oh poo poo

drat son

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

And then use that to make your pc output sound via a record player
how? gently caress if i know it's all on you

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

posting

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

the bsd boys posted:

sned the yostop

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sweevo posted:

buy an arduino and then call yourself a Hacker/Maker because you flashed that LED using code someone else wrote

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i've started like five coursera/edx courses now and then gotten busy/distracted halfway through them

never gonna be a hip web programmer :smith:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Angry Moo Cow posted:

funny carpenter

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my spare time project is working on my thesis so that i can some day graduate

i am a full time shitposter so theres not a lot of time left in the day to maybe someday graduate

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ur better off not graduating tbqh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i strongly desire to go back in time 2.5 years and brutalize myself until i agree that going to grad school is a loving awful idea

a bit late at this point, i submit my thesis in 9 days

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody posted:

i strongly desire to go back in time 2.5 years and brutalize myself until i agree that going to grad school is a loving awful idea

a bit late at this point, i submit my thesis in 9 days

godspeed

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

did you at least do a worthwhile program or are you some kind of shitlicking philosophy major

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I used to do cool poo poo like writing a MIPS emulator and a scheduler for ARM chips, but now I'm married and have a house so basically it's all chores.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

CamH posted:

did you at least do a worthwhile program or are you some kind of shitlicking philosophy major

my work at least has the potential to be lifechanging for millions of people in a few years if my sponsoring company and i continue to see it through (lol the money will dry up for no good reason) so that helps i guess

doesnt help with the fact that i've only got 30-some pages written and cant think of anything else to drone on about

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
dove back into hobby game programming a few months ago. wrote a base adventure game engine and extended it to support 2.5d multiplayer. server written in ruby, client in java

major bottleneck: i am not an illustrator

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Bloody posted:

my work at least has the potential to be lifechanging for millions of people in a few years if my sponsoring company and i continue to see it through (lol the money will dry up for no good reason) so that helps i guess

doesnt help with the fact that i've only got 30-some pages written and cant think of anything else to drone on about

So u r a shitlicker

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
throw in a bunch of graphs, statistics, and Victorian literature. that'll get you up to 90 pages

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
i am building teh package manager for Perl6 (not panda it sux) kill me

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Moist von Lipwig posted:

been learning jabbascript to make calculators for russian powerlifting cycles

its not going well :/

this isnt the The gayest thing you've ever done with computers?!?! thread

my stepdads beer posted:

my idiot spare time project is writing an isometric engine in rust/sfml

this isnt the The gayest thing you've ever done with computers?!?! thread

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Dead Man Posting posted:

throw in a bunch of graphs, statistics, and Victorian literature. that'll get you up to 90 pages

cant add number poo poo until my results finish processing but i just got the second set of patient data like 3 days ago and it requires lots of loving with before i can actually get it to spit out results :supaburn:

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Like I have the time. My alarm rings at 6:30, I'm at work from 8 to 16, come home 16:45, feed the kid, play with her for 1,5 hours then put her to bed, then it's almost 20:00 and i've got two hours to unwind until I go to bed.

On weekends it's the same minus the work so I just spend time with the kid and wife and we do something together. Then when she takes a nap I've got two hours to do what I want which is usually watch tv or play videoshame since what the hell vould I start that can be made in two hour slots without really getting into it?

Thank god i had a proper summer vacation so i built a small greenhousecabinet and varnished the terrace and built a flowerbed out of bricks.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

So lol if you have spare time

I long for retirement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uno_king
Jun 21, 2004

<humorous/insulting caption>
I created a database/web interface/android app to catalog my movies so I don't have to remember off hand how many copies of Howard the duck I already own the next time I see it for $4.99 at Best Buy (answer? still zero). Tweaked it so my in-laws could have their own database (oddly enough, they don't own Howard the Duck either).

Also re-writing an old C++ game from High School into C#/MonoGame. 8-bit feel with original 1999 graphics (so what if N64 was out by then, gently caress you)!

Sweevo posted:

Oh yeah, I did that too, got it up to 32 LEDs + 2 7-segs (that's 48 fuckin LEDs with the decimals!). Blinked some lights with my RaspberryPi too. Trying to figure out how to wire my lights to the thing so I can control them from the intarwebs (by trying to figure out, I mean actual wiring so I don't burn my house down, EE != electrician).