Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
didnt read snype :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
answer: solid state relays

right now my only nerd project is yosbbs. other than that im spending my evenings cataloging and prepping all my computer poo poo for sale

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

an ee with an arduino

a shameful ee

Uno_king
Jun 21, 2004

<humorous/insulting caption>

Werthog 95 posted:

an ee with an arduino

a shameful ee

Me? My Motorolla HC12 is in storage. Sorry.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

u better be sorry. punkass busta

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Uno_king posted:

Also re-writing an old C++ game from High School into C#/MonoGame. 8-bit feel with original 1999 graphics (so what if N64 was out by then, gently caress you)!

how's monogame working for you?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Changing diapers

Uno_king
Jun 21, 2004

DaTroof posted:

how's monogame working for you?

It's going good. But I'm doing really-simple 2D drawing. Only found one function so far without an implementation (something about Texture mipmap-level copying). The old game was based in DOS, so I'm not aiming too high here.

It installed pretty easily and runs with VS Express 2012 (which Microsoft's own XNA does not), so that's a plus.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Ana5000 posted:

Like I have the time. My alarm rings at 6:30, I'm at work from 8 to 16, come home 16:45, feed the kid, play with her for 1,5 hours then put her to bed, then it's almost 20:00 and i've got two hours to unwind until I go to bed.

On weekends it's the same minus the work so I just spend time with the kid and wife and we do something together. Then when she takes a nap I've got two hours to do what I want which is usually watch tv or play videoshame since what the hell vould I start that can be made in two hour slots without really getting into it?

Thank god i had a proper summer vacation so i built a small greenhousecabinet and varnished the terrace and built a flowerbed out of bricks.

this

Capslock Holmes posted:

Changing diapers

and this

though i'm building a bench and a coffee table. they have been in-progress since november.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Uno_king posted:

It's going good. But I'm doing really-simple 2D drawing. Only found one function so far without an implementation (something about Texture mipmap-level copying). The old game was based in DOS, so I'm not aiming too high here.

It installed pretty easily and runs with VS Express 2012 (which Microsoft's own XNA does not), so that's a plus.

nice. if it can handle sprite animation it might be good enough for me. i've been aiming to make my thing cross-platform and think i'd much rather work in c# than java

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

DaTroof posted:

dove back into hobby game programming a few months ago. wrote a base adventure game engine and extended it to support 2.5d multiplayer. server written in ruby, client in java

major bottleneck: i am not an illustrator

same but major bottleneck being im not a game programmer

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Uno_king posted:

I created a database
lol

Uno_king posted:

I created a web interface
lol

Uno_king posted:

I created a android app
lol

Uno_king posted:

catalog my movies
lol

Uno_king posted:

<physical medium discs> I already own
lol

lol

Uno_king posted:

so my in-laws could have their own database
lol

How have you not killed yourself yet?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Uno_king
Jun 21, 2004

DaTroof posted:

nice. if it can handle sprite animation it might be good enough for me. i've been aiming to make my thing cross-platform and think i'd much rather work in c# than java

There's no inherent sprite/cell sheet support, everything is a texture. If you use an animation sheet, you would load the whole texture and define a draw rectangle within that texture (e.g. if you have 10 50x50 animation frames in a sheet, you might set a draw rectangle to (x=50,y=0,w=50,h=50) to pick the second image). You move the draw rectangle according to the frame you want. If you have individual animation images, you'd load them into an ordered sequence (list, array, whatevs) and index into the array to find the current texture to draw. Basically you'll end up creating your own Sprite class, but it's not difficult.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

uG posted:

drat dude. too edgy for me. im out.

Uno_king
Jun 21, 2004

uG posted:

I gets harder every day man.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ugh dammit im gettin flashbacks to wirewrapping my fuckin hc12 board senior year fuckkkkk

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Uno_king posted:

There's no inherent sprite/cell sheet support, everything is a texture. If you use an animation sheet, you would load the whole texture and define a draw rectangle within that texture (e.g. if you have 10 50x50 animation frames in a sheet, you might set a draw rectangle to (x=50,y=0,w=50,h=50) to pick the second image). You move the draw rectangle according to the frame you want. If you have individual animation images, you'd load them into an ordered sequence (list, array, whatevs) and index into the array to find the current texture to draw. Basically you'll end up creating your own Sprite class, but it's not difficult.

yeah, that's essentially what i'm already doing in java, so it wouldn't be a major step backwards

movax
Aug 30, 2008

srq i...i like this thread

:stonk:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!
My hobby is posting

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
learning c++ and c# and how to use unity and meteorology and writing a climate sim of sorts. eventual goal is to be able to interactively modify the global heightmap and have the climate (calculated on the GPU) react instantly.

right now all ive got is a model of ferrel cells n monsoon rains. loooong way to go

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

coffeetable posted:

learning c++ and c# and how to use unity and meteorology and writing a climate sim of sorts. eventual goal is to be able to interactively modify the global heightmap and have the climate (calculated on the GPU) react instantly.

right now all ive got is a model of ferrel cells n monsoon rains. loooong way to go

woah that actually sounds really cool

movax
Aug 30, 2008

dur posted:

woah that actually sounds really cool

yeah you say that when's he holding the world ransom because he built a goddamn weather control machine

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

i made an altimeter for model rockets. built out of the same chip inside an arduino and a digital barometer chip, and outputs pressure and temperature over time at 0.1sec intervals as a csv file onto a microsd. it works great on bench power but i wanted to run it with a button battery and they have juuuuust barely too little voltage to drive the sd card. a band new one worked for like a minute.

i wanted to build a circuit to boost the voltage to a full 3.3v and change the code to not write to the card as often to hopefully conserve even more power.

then i had a baby and haven't touched it since. hobbies.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

maniacdevnull posted:

then i had a baby and haven't touched it since. hobbies.

this seems to be a common occurrence in this thread

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
coding a dumb nerd puzzle game about cpu design

people seem to enjoy it so far, just wish they'd stop finding so many bugs

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

PleasingFungus posted:

coding a dumb nerd puzzle game about cpu design

people seem to enjoy it so far, just wish they'd stop finding so many bugs

notch alt spotted

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm making a browser extension that makes ADP timecards readable and displays other useful information

also automatic clocking in/out

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh god a notable yosposter who has way less free time than i do put out ANOTHER amazing thing and god drat it i am channeling this into positive energy ok im going to work on my music rig tonight. even if i have to pay $3.79 for each of those filter caps i need at radio shack.

mooooooooooootivation

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Cold on a Cob posted:

notch alt spotted

question: would it be worth it to be as rich as notch if you would have to also gain his terrible taste in hats?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

question: would it be worth it to be as rich as notch if you would have to also gain his terrible taste in hats?

YES

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

I have a soft spot for lovely pawn shop guitars. Not like some vintage rare fender with a blemished headstock I mean like nasty looking hair metal guitars that looked like they were dragged behind a truck. Over the years, my favorite has been absorbing all the good parts from all these guitars and become some kind of mad-max hell bitch.

As I've grown as a player, and as it's evolved through each build, it's become something completely irreplaceable. There's still things I'd love to add and take off and tinker with but I hate not having it available.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mitchard posted:

I have a soft spot for lovely pawn shop guitars. Not like some vintage rare fender with a blemished headstock I mean like nasty looking hair metal guitars that looked like they were dragged behind a truck. Over the years, my favorite has been absorbing all the good parts from all these guitars and become some kind of mad-max hell bitch.

As I've grown as a player, and as it's evolved through each build, it's become something completely irreplaceable. There's still things I'd love to add and take off and tinker with but I hate not having it available.

that's ill. my main guitar for ~17 years has been a late 80s Yamaha neckthru that somebody ruined the value of by painting with auto paint. Loaded up with EMG's and a Kahler trem. it is the hottest shred axe i have ever touched.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i dumped the ROM from my cars ECU, disassembled the code, and have been slowly working through trying to figure out what it does

what's weird is that even though it's pure 8052 assembly you can see where different people worked on it because the code is so different

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sweevo posted:

i dumped the ROM from my cars ECU, disassembled the code, and have been slowly working through trying to figure out what it does

what's weird is that even though it's pure 8052 assembly you can see where different people worked on it because the code is so different

dude, share this

can't be one of my ecus since we were mostly v850 and hc11/hc12 based, so can't help much if at all

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Sweevo posted:

*flashes jar of screws*

How many screws in the jar? Cmon, you know this.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i really want to learn how to hack on bmw ibus stuff. you can basically hook whatever the gently caress you want to the car if you get the protocol right

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i really want to learn how to hack on bmw ibus stuff. you can basically hook whatever the gently caress you want to the car if you get the protocol right

Someone should make a mod that makes the turn signals work.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Ana5000 posted:

Someone should make a mod that makes the turn signals work.

there's an accelerator pedal interlock

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i sperged out and did some silly poo poo with zsh: https://github.com/skroll/zeesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

seems to be a lot of info out on the internet about it...looks like minimal interface hardware needed, from there its just all protocol stuff