Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
"usually always" C'mon Miranda. Pick one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

"Raptor's Raiders?" asked Detective Black.

"Yes. One of Iron Raptor's many 'ideas' on how to keep up fear levels in the populace," Thunderbolt explained. "They're a group of thrill rides led by the roller coaster Freakshow. While Iron Raptor's other enforcers only go after you if you break the rules, the Raiders don't bother with such distinctions. If they decide you're finished, you're finished, no matter which side you support or what you've done."

"The Raiders have done the most good and the most bad for the Resistance out of any of Raptor's creatures," Terry added as he stripped off his shirt. "Everyone wants to join up with us when they hear who the Raiders have massacred, but then they run away once they see it for themselves."

The horn sounded again, and Detective Black watched bemused as nearly everybody on the ship began to take off their clothing. Black remembered Thunderbolt's earlier explanation that a naked body was necessary to safely transform into ride form, but the idea of a spontaneous mass orgy would've made Black laugh if it weren't for the terrified look on everyone's faces. "So what's happening now?" he asked.

"Everyone's going into ride form. We're more durable that way. Might live long enough to get away. I'm afraid a lot of us will sink to the bottom of this river and never come back up, though."

"Sherry knows. She's heading for the riverbank now." Black and Thunderbolt were both startled by the appearance of the monkey automaton who had booked their passage earlier. "It's a drat shame the river is so wide through here; it'll take us minutes to reach the shore. And if Freakshow spots us before then..."

"Can't we fight them?" Black asked, reaching for his sidearm. "It's not like I'm unarmed, and if you can fight Freakshow head on--"

"We can't, Richard!" Thunderbolt nearly shouted, gripping Black's shoulders. "Don't think I wouldn't if I could, but none of us here are a match for Freakshow. Look, you know we roller coasters have power over things the color of our bodies, right? Well, were you around for the late sixties? Hippies, psychedelics, tie-dye t-shirts? Freakshow was made back when that was the fashion, and a whole rainbow went into her chassis. Meaning..."

"...Meaning she can control basically everything she sees," Black finished, the horror of her abilities seeping in through the vanished wound in his gut. "So is there anything we can do?"

"Survive," Thunderbolt replied, barely keeping his face calm. "Even without Freakshow, all the other passengers are gentle rides. None of them know how to form a violent thought in their heads, let alone fight. There's nothing we can do for them; I'd offer to speed them away once we hit the shore, but my ride form is known to the Raiders and I'd be nothing but a moving target."

"And we're out of time!" the monkey shouted, pointing upriver to where a second swinging ship, armored for inversions and patterned after a space shuttle, had just appeared from around the river bend.

"Over the side, Terry!" Thunderbolt screamed. Terry obliged by leaping over the viking ship's rattling shields and transforming mid-jump, splashing into the water as a giant cream-white teacup, bobbing upside-down like a giant buoy. "After me, Richard!" the old man added as he followed Terry and dove into the river.

Black took a moment to strip off his jacket, then toppled overboard as the shield he was propping himself on came loose in his hand. Coming up for a breath, Black watched as the multicolored shields all lifted themselves from the ship's railing and began to fly across the deck. Black paused as the first screams of agony began, but then ducked underwater and into the bubble of air Terry sheltered.

Thunderbolt was already there. "Good. Now I'm going to lower us down." The detective grabbed hold of one of the inverted seats and felt the current of the river shift as the three of them submerged. Black grew nervous as the air bubble shrank, the growing water pressure compressing the air pocket to match.

"So...how much air do we have, here?" Black asked.

"Not much more than a few minutes, but it'll all be over by then. In case it isn't, I'm also moving us upstream right now. With luck we'll be past the Raiders' ship by the time we need to surface." Thunderbolt's voice quavered with every word.

The two were silent for a time, but then a thought occurred to Detective Black. "Not to pry, but I get the feeling you've done this before."

"We have. Terry and I have worked together since I joined the Resistance. He acts as my shield, and with my powers he's nearly invulnerable. Now please be quiet, we're wasting air."

Black obliged, and for several minutes the only sounds came from splashes and impacts that reverberated from the battle site as it faded into the distance. Then Detective Black noticed a steady whimpering sound coming from Thunderbolt and recalled a fact regarding the psychic psychology of roller coasters. "Thunderbolt...are you giggling?"

Thunderbolt took a deep, controlled breath, then responded, "Richard, have you ever found yourself forced to laugh when someone you loved died in front of you?" Black had to admit he had no idea what that would be like, but he did know just how terrible and guilty he would feel afterwards. "Because the moment I was forced to do that was the moment I joined the Resistance."

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Well, you managed to make Freakshow a credible threat while keeping her in the scope of the settings you created. And now she's not "hormonal and ugly".

You know, despite the fact that I've gone through Twisted! more than couple of times because of this threat, I had entirely forgotten that Angeltrack had been Thunderbark's mate. So when I read that last bit I felt it was a bit of a cop-out and cliche that Thunderbolt lost lost a loved one. It took me a while to remember the fact that Angeltrack was not just Railrunner's mother, which was the most important aspect about Angeltrack even though it was Thunderbark who was the only one who spoke about her. All he said was how she was Railrunner's mother.

Just another thing that Miranda is bad at.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If there was a secret project going on, there might exist a thing such as a teaser.

The teaser might include reordered (but completely unaltered) fragments of the book, and may include an inserted commentary line or two.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Iced Cocoa posted:

You know, despite the fact that I've gone through Twisted! more than couple of times because of this threat, I had entirely forgotten that Angeltrack had been Thunderbark's mate. So when I read that last bit I felt it was a bit of a cop-out and cliche that Thunderbolt lost lost a loved one. It took me a while to remember the fact that Angeltrack was not just Railrunner's mother, which was the most important aspect about Angeltrack even though it was Thunderbark who was the only one who spoke about her. All he said was how she was Railrunner's mother.

I don't consider it too cliché under the circumstances. The way Iron Raptor's been killing anyone who dares to defy him and even those who don't, pretty much everyone has had someone dear to them die. For what I hope are obvious reasons, that goes double for anyone desperate enough to join the Resistance. The widespread hatred for Iron Raptor and pity for the Resistance are why Thunderbolt wasn't afraid of discussing Resistance details openly on the ship, too.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

^^^ What made me feel like this was a copout was the fact that I didn't see it coming at all. No buildup to it as far as I could see. As I said, Thunderbark did have Angeltrack as mate in the original Twisted!, but I had honestly forgotten that little fact. When I read it, it just felt like "By the way -"

I might have been just tired when reading it.

my dad posted:

If there was a secret project going on, there might exist a thing such as a teaser.

The teaser might include reordered (but completely unaltered) fragments of the book, and may include an inserted commentary line or two.

Oh god this is priceless. :allears: I had expected a general radio drama but this is much better.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Iced Cocoa posted:

I had expected a general radio drama but this is much better.

(Insert "maybe" or "hypothetically" where needed) Well, think of this as a trailer for a movie. It does not depict scenes in order or within context, it just combines some parts of the movie in such a way to encourage the audience to see the whole thing.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Somewhat related:
http://weburbanist.com/2010/03/17/uber-creepy-tour-abandoned-six-flags-new-orleans-69-pics/

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I gave up after 34 chapters and skipped to the last two. I'm sort of mildly surprised that crazy Miranda made the story go back into the normal world instead of keeping it all in Amusement Park Between (which is the most awkward name for anything ever). Also Rodney/Railrunner is the stupidest big baby of a homicidal maniac to ever be presented as a protagonist.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Foxhound posted:

Amusement Park Between (which is the most awkward name for anything ever).

Yes. What is it between? The real world and _______? :iiam:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

When he and Detective Black were gasping for air, Thunderbolt caused Terry to resurface. They stayed up just long enough to refresh their air, then submerged again. Thunderbolt repeated the process twice more before risking a look, and what they saw shocked them.

The fight had been over since the first time they went up for air. Not far from where they had left the ship a dark plume of smoke rose from the shore. Debris bobbed in the waves, some of it from man-made objects and some from trees and underbrush uprooted during the melee. The Raiders' ship was now almost out of sight, its horn blowing a warning once more.

"Come on. We have to see what's left," Thunderbolt said, his voice drained of emotion. With a wave of his hand, Terry flew toward the shore.

Upon reaching the scene, Detective Black was reminded of the dark night he had first confronted Railrunner. Then as now, bodies were scattered throughout the area, limp and lifeless. Admittedly the parts had been organic and the fluid blood back in Black's plane, but the scrapped steel and fiberglass and the splashes of lubricating oil no less marked the violent end of living beings.

After a moment of silence, Thunderbolt picked up a slightly curved piece of steel and began to dig. Terry resumed his human form and did the same, not bothering to put his clothes back on. Finding a likely scrap of his own, Rick joined their efforts.

As Richard Black dug into the dark soil, he began to notice that Thunderbolt was muttering to himself. Although the area was quiet beyond the sound of digging, it still took Black some time to realize what Thunderbolt was saying:

"Merciful God, hear the cries of our grief, for you know the anguish of our hearts. It is beyond our understanding and more than we can bear. Accept our prayer that as these fallen have been released from this world's cruelty so may they be received into your safe hands and secure love. We pray that justice may be done and that we may treasure the memory of their lives more than the manner of their deaths. For Christ's sake. Amen."

"Amen," Black echoed. Thunderbolt paused to regard him, but then resumed his digging.

The long day was nearly over by the time they had finished burying the dead. Fortunately, the group was not far away from a campground clearing, which had naturally occurring dome tent bushes, canvas trees, log shrubs that concealed kerosene mushrooms, and empty fire-pit burrows. As the three men sat around their fire toasting marshmallow and hot dog reeds from the nearby riverside, Black finally spoke up.

"You know, I joined the police force because it meant I wouldn't have to run away when things like this happened."

Thunderbolt brought his marshmallow out of the fire and carefully turned it until every side was charred black. "I may not have been a cop, but I understand. I became a contact because I couldn't let lost rides remain lost the way I was. I joined the Resistance...because...

"There was once a roller coaster I knew named Railway to Heaven. I called her Angel. I used to joke she was named after the song, but we didn't really know. It's an old enough phrase it could have been from anything.

"Roller coasters don't often hunt together thanks to our psychic empathy. It's exhilarating to chase down a fat pig or a frightened deer, but when you feel that excitement from a hunting partner, both will get a sense of fear and suddenly it's all a bit less fun. But for Angel and me, it was worth it. A little fear is good for the soul, and it was like we were flying down the lift hill every time we...well.

"We thrill rides may not be suited to hunting together, but fighting each other is another matter. It's all great fun, and a good way to establish dominance. Occasionally someone would die, but so what? Accidents happen. Heck, I've been a few tussles in my time, but that all ended with Angel. I couldn't stand to lose her, or to hurt her by losing myself. So we became contacts. Things were good, and for a good long while.

"We found out about Iron Raptor when we climbed out a portal he had secured while we were away. He gave us the usual choice: obedience or death. Angel...she knew it wasn't right. We both did, but she came through first and she was always the louder one. It was a dark night, but Raptor brought in torches just so I could watch as he killed her."

The reed snapped in Thunderbolt's hand and his forgotten marshmallow fell into the fire. "He put her through so much pain I couldn't help but laugh. I couldn't. I couldn't...help her. They bound my chest in steel so I couldn't change. And the last thing she ever saw...was me. Laughing at her." Detective Black couldn't see well in the flickering light, but he didn't need to see to know Thunderbolt was sobbing.

Terry had remained respectfully silent throughout Thunderbolt's story, but he now spoke up. "He escaped by swearing allegiance on the spot, then tracked down the Resistance the next day. We crossed paths a few months later when my community was attacked by the Raiders. We were a dozen before, but I was...I was the only one he could save."

"This has to end," Thunderbolt managed, slowly calming himself down.

Detective Black could only nod.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Holy gently caress Bobbin.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

As always you make amazing things. If there is some sort of mailing list/tumblr/whatever where I can read samples of your upcoming book (The "Show other people" phase), I would very much want to subscribe.

Also, more insert illustrations from the new version (click for larger if you are sadistic):

Rodney having some problems, before he got taken over by the beast called Railrunner :smith:

I guess instead of closing books dramatically, that laptop lid is going to be closed dramatically couple of times.

Railrunner drowning I wish. What the hell is this perspective anyway?

Apparently swamps in Amusement Park Between are filled with non-Newtonian fluids and nothing else! Poor Thunderbark forgot to keep running in order to stay afloat.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
Why is the man on the right's arm so wrong

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Kjoery posted:

Why is the man on the right's arm so wrong

Same problem as the earlier picture of Railrunner, I think. The torso is drawn as if it's flat against the back of the chair, but the front shoulder is placed as if he's leaning his other shoulder against the chair, so it seems too far forward of its position.

That, and his wrist is wrong. It looks as if he's got no wrist, and on top of that, his forearm is a bit too long. Elbow to knuckles should be about the same as elbow to shoulder (at least it is on my body) but it's a lot longer.

That's not the only thing wrong with that particular one, though. She's using one-point perspective but consider where the vanishing point would be and try to reconcile the perspective you see on the laptop and the book. Hell, just the laptop and the books make no sense at all, and don't look at where Rodney's legs disappear off to, because if you look there, you'll notice that the chair has no seat and he's apparently standing with his butt up against the back of a seatless chair.

Vonder
May 8, 2007

They've got a spider baby!

Iced Cocoa posted:

Rodney having some problems, before he got taken over by the beast called Railrunner :smith:

Apparently one of his problems was getting his right hand smashed with a hammer.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Iced Cocoa posted:

Good lord the anatomy on here is all kinds of hosed up, even discounting the fact that it's supposed to be a rollercoaster. Look at those lumpy-rear end feet, what the christ? Also take note of the magical morphing torso, look at his first car or whatever is the one with his first pair of arms on it (I guess his head doesn't count as a car?) and compare it to any of the torso void drawings. The sizes and placements of limbs and poo poo don't match up at all.

Also I still like how all of these take place in featureless brown crosshatch hell.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Iced Cocoa posted:

As always you make amazing things. If there is some sort of mailing list/tumblr/whatever where I can read samples of your upcoming book (The "Show other people" phase), I would very much want to subscribe.

Also, more insert illustrations from the new version (click for larger if you are sadistic):

This is way better

And where's Clare with her beautiful neck and horrible plaque and periodontal disease?

STUPID loving DRAWINGS posted:

Apparently swamps in Amusement Park Between are filled with non-Newtonian fluids and nothing else! Poor Thunderbark forgot to keep running in order to stay afloat.

GODDAMNIT why do they always look so goddamn smug? I loving hate their stupid eyebrows and their stupid mouths and their stupid cheekbones and UGH.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Iced Cocoa posted:

The center segments look like a big ol' row of balls. Just big old flappy sacks.

quote:

That's okay, his huge floppy bordello tits will keep his head above water.

Pick fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 20, 2013

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pick posted:

That's okay, his huge floppy bordello tits will keep his head above water.

Man, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw that. I had to look at it for a good minute or two before I figured out it was his chest and arm and not Thunderbark's huge rack.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Man, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw that. I had to look at it for a good minute or two before I figured out it was his chest and arm and not Thunderbark's huge rack.

Same.

On another level, I've been wondering how the hell those legs/arms twist to make them functional coasters without breaking every bone in their extremeties. Ranks up there with 'how does Shadowtrack ride an actual track without her (thanks for that completely unnecessary detail miranda!) boobs hitting the slats.'

New powers: doublejointed contortionist; retractable boobs (and potentially babies if obviously pregnant)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

~Fanfictions~ posted:

Vicks ran towards Mystic Park's main plaza. The plan was simple: get his men into position after finding Railrunner, lure him into an open area and then unleash everything they got.
"If I wasn't fighting a complete moron, luring him into such an obvious trap might've been hard." He smirked. Finally, he saw the fence separating the maze of stalls with the main plaza. The plaza was covered in white bricks which spiraled towards a fountain in the center.
"All teams in position?" He barked into his earpiece.
"Yes sir. We just finished. Get him in front of the statue, we'll be able to get him from every angle" came Elly's voice. Elly was the team's sniper. Extremely accurate and proficient, Elly handled her AM rifle like a true pro.
"Just be careful not to be there yourself. I wired the place with camouflaged explosives," said Smith, the bomb expert. "You might want to make a straight dash to the other end of the plaza, the amount of Semtex is...larger than what I usually use."
"Noted." Vicks leaped over the fence, backflipped and used his free hand to toss three grenades into the stall maze.
"I have also laid out the directional Hedgehog mines to the north and south of the area. Try to stay in cover, because those flechettes have quite the range" continued Smith, the man was calm and unfettered as usual.
"The Geneva Convention would poo poo bricks if they saw your 'Hogs, Smith" came Max' reply.
"I imagine they would have a lot of issues with many of our outings" Vicks could almost see Smith shrugging as he heard his voice.
Vicks resisted the urge to stop running at this comment. Memories of Black Rock swam up from within his subconscious. He shook them away.
"This isn't Black Rock, Smith" came Sophie's voice, as though she were reading his mind.
"It's close enough." replied Andy.
Vicks finally made it to the angel statue. The other side of the park had a large building with many stores and a small food court. He would have to shoot out a window and leap inside for cover. But first, he needed Railrunner to be here. It was the one chance he had to bring him own.
A roar broke up the team's conversation. Railrunner came out of the dust kicked up by Vicks' grenades. He effortlessly swatted aside the metal fence and stepped into the plaza.
Under the moonlight, Vicks saw the full extent of his wounds. The coaster was missing two limbs on his right side, a bloody chunk remained where they previously were. Numerous scrapes lined his body, though many were beginning to heal up due to Railrunner's regeneration. The AM bullet holes still remained, apparently taking longer to heal due to Elly's direct shots.
"How? How are you able to hurt me?" roared Railrunner.
"I took your idea." shouted Vicks in response. He leaned on Veronica as he spoke. "I used bullets and shrapnel made from roller coaster metal. Additionally, the paranormal division upgraded my team's equipment with Anti-Coaster rounds. They made them from the same alloy we used in that net to capture you."
"You think you're so smart. You don't realize what a damned man you truly are. Let me help you, Vicks. You may be an evil son of a bitch, but we can help each other."
Vicks breathed in the night air. He hated to admit, but he felt exhilarated. He was finally back on the field of battle. This is what it felt like. Life on the edge. Bullets and explosions everywhere. He couldn't help but feel truly alive in these moments. A desk job could never compare to this feeling.
He could feel it coming back to him. That feeling of bloodlust he hoped he locked away through therapy and discipline.
"Hey Rodney" Vicks picked up Veronica.
"It's Railrun-"
"Shut up." He looked directly at the beast. Then he smiled "This is a fight to the death. We're warriors on a battlefield. Start acting like one."
"Hah, alright. If that's what you want, fucktard" Railrunner straightened up.
"Good." Vicks put Veronica on his shoulder. "Try to catch up."
He then bolted to the building. Railrunner stood agape.
"You...You loving coward! What was that crap about warriors!?" He recovered and began to chase Vicks once more.
Vicks was halfway to his goal when the earpiece came to life
"You won't have enough time" said Smith.
"Detonate it!" commanded Vicks
"But-"
"Do it!"
Smith gave a sigh.
"I recommend you jump, Captain"
Vicks leaped into the air and took out a pistol from his holster. He deftly shot out a window from the building in front of him, and then braced himself.
There was a loud explosion, and he felt the heat as it propelled him through the broken window and into the office beyond.

---

"Captain! Are you alright? Captain respond!" a plethora of voices rang in Vicks' ear. He shook his head, and wiped some dust from his face.
"I'm fine" He replied, which caused various sounds of elation to deafen his ear once more.
"What about...him?"
"Unknown. We're still waiting for the dust to clear."
Vicks came up to a blown out window and looked out, while using a nearby wall for cover.
A huge dust cloud hung in the center of the plaza.
"I can see something" said Sophie.
Vicks stared as the dust started to clear. Railrunner was lying in a crater, half of his body blown off in the explosion. The constantly-regenerating blood from his stump was well on its way to filling up the crater.
"Good kill?"
Vicks stared. He felt it. It wasn't over. Not by a longshot.
"No. He's still alive!"
"What?"
Railrunner's eyes suddenly opened up. And with that, an enormous white light came from the area. The sudden flash blinded Vicks, causing him to slink behind a wall and rub his eyes.
"Damnit! Status report!"
"It's up! He's...he's healing himself!"
Vicks covered his eyes, and looked outside. Railrunner was standing upright, half of his body still gone, but the bloody stump had cauterized itself. His eyes were completely white. The glow seemed to come from his necklace, which bathed the monster in white tendrils.
"OPEN FIRE" yelled Vicks "Send him to the loving moon!"
A caucophany of gunfire and explosions came from outside the building.
As he reloaded Veronica, Vicks felt himself grinning once more.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 9, 2013

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

For some reason I've just marathoned this thread.

Apart from the horrible characterisation, nonsensical plot and psychotic 'heroes', you know what really bugs me?

Those loving wheel-fingers.

They're useless as fingers.

They're useless as wheels - just look at those loving things, there's no way they could turn.

They're useless as weapons as they're described - claws out of the middle aren't going to work unless you're rolling forwards and scrapping against your opponent's side. Maybe if they had sharpened centres or something? Like those pizza slicing things maybe.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

More stuff from the new book.

Yep, that's fooling everyone.

quote:

Red roller coaster, Railrunner, has made quite a reputation among humans during his few violent "rampages" Clare is the only human that he truly trusts.

quote:

Swinging ships are the largest rides in Between. They come in many shapes and sizes with the "reptilian" style being the most common. These ships are perhaps the most primitive of all the rides without the gift of speech (So intelligence is dependent on ride species, or swinging ships are hopelessly mute). The swinging ships are used to carry goods down the Achterbahn and other rivers from city to city and sometimes have sails hanging upon their pendulums. They are docile and feed on fish by diving down (They live in rivers, how huge has the river to be for them to dive in it?!) and the trees overhead like giraffes. Ships are smart enough to obey complex commands (Smart but not too smart, can't have anything that dares to attack a roller coaster because that thing looks like it can eat one whole) and their insides are spacious enough for many crew members - their organs being in the lower most part of the ship's underside. The giants propel themselves by their giant sea turtle like flippers, thus they spend most of their life in the water and very rarely come upon land to rest.

"Why am I in so terribly foreshortened piece?"

:stare:

Can anyone figure out just how loving HUGE this is? :catstare:

Iced Cocoa fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 21, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This might be relevant to this thread:

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/person-thrown-from-six-flags-texas-giant-ride-killed-dies-216239501.html posted:

Family identifies woman killed on Six Flags ride

ARLINGTON — Witnesses said they watched in horror as a woman fell from her seat on the Texas Giant roller coaster Friday night at Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington.

The theme park on Saturday said it is "committed to determining the cause of this tragic accident."

"It would be a disservice to the family to speculate regarding what transpired,"said Six Flags spokeswoman Sharon Parker in a written statement issued at noon Saturday. "When we have new information to provide, we will do so."

Family members identified the victim as Rosy Esparza.

The accident happened at about 6:45 p.m. as Carmen Brown was next in line to ride the coaster. Brown said the woman got on the ride with her son.

"She goes up like this," Brown said raising her hand up in the air. "Then when it drops to come down that's when it released and she just tumbled ... and I said, 'That could have been me, because I don't do roller coasters.'"

Also in line was the Putman family, of Rockwall. Darlene, John and their daughters Ashley and Haley Putman stood behind Esparza and her family for an hour.

"They were laughing and talking," John said, adding that Esparza appeared to be in her 50s. The family didn't witness the fall, but said the victim's son was clearly distraught when the ride returned to the loading platform.

"He was saying 'She fell! she fell!'" Mrs. Putman recalled.

The Putmans said he tried to race onto the tracks, but workers escorted him away.

Six Flags immediately closed the ride and the surrounding area while most of the theme park remained open.

Officials at Six Flags did not reveal details about Esparza's death, but released an official statement not long after the incident:

We are deeply saddened to share that earlier this evening an adult woman died in the park while on the Texas Giant. Park medical staff and local paramedics responded immediately. Since the safety of our guests and employees is our number one priority, the ride has been closed pending further investigation. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends during this difficult time.

Early Saturday, Six Flags added that the investigation into the death was continuing. "We are working closely with authorities to determine the cause of the accident," spokeswoman Shannon Parker said in a written statement.

She added that the Texas Giant ride remains closed and that the Bridgit Mendler concert scheduled for Saturday night has been canceled.

Originally an all-wooden roller coaster introduced to the park in 1990, the Texas Giant ride was redesigned with a steel track and re-opened in April of 2011 during the theme park's 50th anniversary. The ride's tallest height is 153 feet and has a drop of 147 feet.

Six Flags says the ride has "a record-breaking bank" of 95 degrees, "steeper than any wooden coaster on the planet."

Arlington police are investigating whether the woman suffered a medical emergency before the fall.

In 1999, a 28-year-old Arkansas woman drowned and 10 other passengers were injured when a raft-like boat on the Roaring Rapids ride at Six Flags overturned in 2 to 3 feet of water about 200 feet from the end of the ride.

Six Flags Over Texas opened in 1961 as the first amusement park in the Six Flags system. It is 17 miles west of downtown Dallas.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

E-mail twoodard@wfaa.com

GBS thread about this - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560758

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Railrunner strikes again

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
The seats still look like raised sunglasses, the necklace still looks like bling.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

This might be relevant to this thread:

GBS thread about this - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560758

Did they at least try to bring her back to life as a rollercoaster?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Behold, our secret project come to life! (Part 1 of 3). The rest will be forthcoming before too long, but I figured ten minutes is more than enough for a single dose.

Iced Cocoa posted:

I don't have a mailing list or anything, but I do have a Twitter account, @threadbaretales, which I update on occasion with status reports.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Bravo to all involved in that project. It felt to me that you all had the "feel" of each character spot on. I... can't say that I can't wait for the next bit, because it is still Twisted!, but at least you've made something good out of it.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Bravo to all involved in that project. It felt to me that you all had the "feel" of each character spot on. I... can't say that I can't wait for the next bit, because it is still Twisted!, but at least you've made something good out of it.

You haven't seen anything yet. It gets better. Soooo much better.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
The racist spiders are still the funniest poo poo ever. They were never important in the least either, were they?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Angrymog posted:

For some reason I've just marathoned this thread.

Apart from the horrible characterisation, nonsensical plot and psychotic 'heroes', you know what really bugs me?

Those loving wheel-fingers.

They're useless as fingers.

They're useless as wheels - just look at those loving things, there's no way they could turn.

They're useless as weapons as they're described - claws out of the middle aren't going to work unless you're rolling forwards and scrapping against your opponent's side. Maybe if they had sharpened centres or something? Like those pizza slicing things maybe.

It's really loving weird because of how glaringly obvious it is that the wheels should be in the opposite orientation. Then he could roll around like they were roller skates or something instead of looking like a dumb loving frog.

Pick fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 22, 2013

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Behold, our secret project come to life! (Part 1 of 3). The rest will be forthcoming before too long, but I figured ten minutes is more than enough for a single dose.

It's official -- if there's every a live action movie, Railrunner will be played by Gilbert Gottfried. I can't imagine it any other way now.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Pick posted:

It's really loving weird because of how glaringly obvious it is that the wheels should be in the opposite orientation. Then he could roll around like they were roller skates or something instead of looking like a dumb loving frog.

Or given that they're supr magical anthro-coasters, why not just give them the ability to morph their hands and feet into wheels at will?

Or you could have them going throug the palms and soles - I'm thinking something a bit like those heely shoes.

I have now spent more time thinking about the design of these things than Miranda has. :(

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Pick posted:

There's a ton of way more sensible options to do it. So of course Miranda goes for the dumbest one.

Also the secret project is glorious. Can't wait for parts 2 and 3. :magical:

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 23, 2013

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Ohboyohboyohboyohboy

:swoon: IRONWHEEL!!! :swoon:

loving FINALLY! This is the first goddamn time Miranda has drawn him. And when I saw the thumbnail I seriously thought it was yet another Railrunner piece. Let's see what she has to say about him.

quote:

The very character that many of you have been bugging me about. Railrunner's nemesis, Ironwheel. He is truly a monster indeed, feeding on suffering - and sometimes his servants if he feels like it. Ironwheel is a large, black roller coaster whose face is painted to resemble his skull and his metal and leather is torn and scarred from past encounters with reds, who unfortunately lost their match with the leader of the Fallen race. Bloodthirsty is perhaps the best definition to describe him. He vile, ferocious, and will seek to kill anyone or anything that disagrees or goes against him. Ironwheel is one formidable opponent indeed.

quote:

Bloodthirsty is perhaps the best definition to describe him. He vile, ferocious, and will seek to kill anyone or anything that disagrees or goes against him.

Bloodthirsty is perhaps the best definition to describe him. He vile, ferocious, and will seek to kill anyone or anything that disagrees or goes against him.

:suicide:

Reminds me of another character in the book. You all probably know whom.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
lmao that goofy motherfucker has a seat piercing, that's the dumbest detail ever.

Vonder
May 8, 2007

They've got a spider baby!
He also has a really weird eyebrow piercing. I don't think Miranda knows how piercings work or why people get them. She just throws them willy-nilly onto her characters. I can see Freakshow having a bunch of piercings, but I don't see Ironwheel having any and I certainly don't know why Railrunner has one when the only other pierced characters are villains...wait...no, I see exactly why Railrunner has one.

Also piercings on roller coasters look loving stupid.

I kind of like his little wrist things, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Voltin Bolt posted:

lmao that goofy motherfucker has a seat piercing, that's the dumbest detail ever.

I almost cried with laughter when I saw it. A loving seat piercing.

• Locked thread