Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Does Fire Servant even make the cut in the 60? Firewave has so little actual burn in that deck that I wonder sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I would kill a man to get more people playing the Aura deck. Because I love nothing more than watching someone go all in with a colossal flying lifelinker and then getting set back multiple turns and cards by a lowly Unsummon. I think I've lost that match exactly twice and one of those times involved drawing like 10 land in a row.

That is one of its harder matchups but to be honest unsummoning them isn't as bad as it might seem since you're recasting a low mana creature and the deck doesn't lack for aura retrieval and (most importantly) I probably drew a card for every enchantment that just got discarded. But yea you definitely need to split your auras up whenever you can

Aura's worst problem is still the black deck since a starting hand with two instances of non-creature based removal pretty much guarantees you're too stalled to do anything. Doubly so when you run it the way I do with lots of cut creatures

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 20, 2013

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

TheresNoThyme posted:

That is one of its harder matchups but to be honest unsummoning them isn't as bad as it might seem since you're recasting a low mana creature and the deck doesn't lack for aura retrieval and (most importantly) I probably drew a card for every enchantment that just got discarded. But yea you definitely need to split your auras up whenever you can

This is why Mind Maze needs to play tempo. Trying to out-quality opponents that can build and rebuild giant flying lifelinkers is a losing proposition. Swinging for 4 a turn while tapping guys down and eating turns with Unsummon is nearly unbeatable and can even recover from the deck's lone wrath effect by just keeping answers up and ready rather than over-developing the board.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

Twin cast is only as good as the best instant or sorcery in your opponents deck. Copying your own spells is cool, but living the dream and copying their huge ramp spell or burn spell is cooler.

As a former blue player, it is nice to see it getting Twin Cast.

I played a lot of MTG around 4th/Ice Age and we had Fork back then, now it seems to have new life now as Reverberate.

I've seen this before where they've basically reprinted a card but with a new name. For instance, there was Remove Soul which worked perfectly fine, but then they printed False Summoning and then Essence Scatter. Why the hell does Wizards do this? Is there some lobby of blue players demanding the ability to do this 12 times in a game?

And is "flash" the new thing to say it doesn't suffer from summoning sickness?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Antifreeze Head posted:

No, Flash means you can play it any time you can play an Instant. Much like what the card Flash lets you do, except without the Protean Hulk combo.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Antifreeze Head posted:

That's haste, which I think goes all the way back to 5th edition.

Flash means it can be played any time you could play an instant.

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass
Just jumping in to remind everyone that Browbeat costs exactly the same as Divination in blue and either gets its caster an extra card or does five to the dome, you tell me if that's worth it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Antifreeze Head posted:

As a former blue player, it is nice to see it getting Twin Cast.

I played a lot of MTG around 4th/Ice Age and we had Fork back then, now it seems to have new life now as Reverberate.

I've seen this before where they've basically reprinted a card but with a new name. For instance, there was Remove Soul which worked perfectly fine, but then they printed False Summoning and then Essence Scatter. Why the hell does Wizards do this? Is there some lobby of blue players demanding the ability to do this 12 times in a game?

For reverberate, it's because fork is on the reserve list. And, for essence scatter, its's probably because they like the name better.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Serisothikos posted:

Just jumping in to remind everyone that Browbeat costs exactly the same as Divination in blue and either gets its caster an extra card or does five to the dome, you tell me if that's worth it.

Smart money would be on Divination in this comparison.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

With regards to flash, creatures with it are often used as surprise blockers. Take Briarpack Alpha for example. He may be rated low on gatherer, mostly due to briarhorn being better, but he was still a really good draft card.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=262664
You have four mana up, and your opponent makes what looks like a good attack. You flash in your briarpack after he declares his attackers. You can then use the pack to block, and give +2/2 either to the pack or to another blocker. It puts five unexpected power on the board, with the option of splitting that power between two creatures. It will almost always eat something, and has the potential of eating two things if you are lucky.

You do see flash creatures used other times too. Sometimes will cast flash stuff on the opponent's end step to try to sneak them through at the last second. Often done with pestermite for combo purposes.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 20, 2013

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Serisothikos posted:

Divination isn't that good of a card, but is still is a better card than browbeat. You're saying that the potential 5 to the face is a benefit, when it's actually a drawback. Draw 2 cards guaranteed is better than Draw 3 that your opponent can counter for free.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

precision posted:

I run Chronozoa because why not, that's why.

This really the only reason to run a card, honestly.

I play DotP to screw around with cards and decks that are unplayable in any other format I play. Which is really why I don't get involved much in the "optimum build" dick waving because really, just play what you want. As long as your curve and what not is managed well enough that your deck will actually function, anyway.

That said, I play with Chronozoa in my Paradox Haze kitchen table deck so I took it out in DotP.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
So what is the general consensus for the top decks for 2014? I've been playing firewave, avacyn's glory, and slivers pretty much. I haven't bothered with to many of the other decks - am I missing out?

I just did a 4 player FFA with Firewave and was at 8 life and somehow won when the other Firewave was at 17 life. This deck is pretty good if done right, thanks to Flamebreak and Inferno Titan :) It felt pretty good! Red has always been my favorite color and 2014 seems to have some decent red cards.

Now if only I could afford to play real magic. There is a sealed deck tournament for the magic 2014 launch party here in 3 hours but I'm scared to play with real magic nerds since I haven't played paper magic in 10 years.

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

Dr. Stab posted:

Divination isn't that good of a card, but is still is a better card than browbeat. You're saying that the potential 5 to the face is a benefit, when it's actually a drawback. Draw 2 cards guaranteed is better than Draw 3 that your opponent can counter for free.

In a deck with hasty, evasive creatures and significant burn - as well as doubling effects - calling 5 damage "free" is a rough proposition. 5 damage for 3 is efficient, draw 3 for 3 is efficient. A good opponent will choose the outcome most beneficial to her, but it's up to you to know when to apply it. It's not a turn-three play. It's fine as a singleton.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Serisothikos posted:

Five to the dome minus the two cards Divination would have given me. That's a different choice entirely.

Divination lets me keep threat-light hands with a little more security. (e.g. 4 islands, Phantasmal Bear, Blind Phantasm, Divination). Browbeat doesn't. Divination will always do exactly what I want the card to do. Browbeat won't. Divination is just as good against a skilled opponent as a bad one. Browbeat only shines against someone I can probably beat anyway.

Meowbot posted:

So what is the general consensus for the top decks for 2014?

Most people will say Avacyn's Glory, Deadwalkers, and Mind Maze. I feel like Deadwalkers is a little overrated (but still far and away better than the lower tiers.)

I'd say Glory is probably the strongest overall because the others require some thought while Glory can just slam Champions and swing with huge dudes, then slam Baneslayer and just mindlessly turn guys sideways. You can play it intelligently, but you don't really need to.

Deadwalkers needs to gain value in its interactions and Mind Maze isn't a toe-to-toe slugfest deck as much as a tempo one.

Regarding Slivers, it can be crazy explosive but can also lose its entire board to the right removal or a well placed trick. It's pretty much a glass cannon with only Armageddon to protect itself if it can get ahead on board.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 20, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jibo posted:

This really the only reason to run a card, honestly.

I play DotP to screw around with cards and decks that are unplayable in any other format I play. Which is really why I don't get involved much in the "optimum build" dick waving because really, just play what you want. As long as your curve and what not is managed well enough that your deck will actually function, anyway.

Yeah, pretty much. The Duels games are notorious for giving very little wiggle room as far as what to run already, arguing over whether to run Hostility or Inferno Titan is kind of pointless.

And I run both anyway, because gently caress that 7-drop.

RE: "Is Fire Servant even worth it in this deck?"

It's a 4/3 for 5 mana. That's not very good, but it's not terrible. The format this year has a lot of creatures with 1-2 power or 4 or less toughness, so it's a relevant blocker. If you get even one use out of its passive ability, it paid for itself, because you got a 4/3 body with essentially a limited Reverberate on top for 5 mana. That's not bad at all in Red.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Fire Servant gives the deck reach when it really needs it -- when creatures might be getting too big to burn out. Now your cards can take out nearly any creature or do some hail-Mary burn for 10 to finish the game. If you've ever found yourself drawing good but small burn like Flames of the Firebrand late game, you'll be glad to have Fire Servant.

I wouldn't run it in a "real" burn deck, but real burn decks have tons and tons of better burn.

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Fire Servant gives the deck reach when it really needs it -- when creatures might be getting too big to burn out. Now your cards can take out nearly any creature or do some hail-Mary burn for 10 to finish the game. If you've ever found yourself drawing good but small burn like Flames of the Firebrand late game, you'll be glad to have Fire Servant.

I wouldn't run it in a "real" burn deck, but real burn decks have tons and tons of better burn.

I think I ran them in Born of Flame from Duels 2013, pretty much shut the game down if it resolved.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I've been debating getting this game on steam. It looks good but is it a money sink where you have to continually buy booster packs or DLCs?

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

I've been debating getting this game on steam. It looks good but is it a money sink where you have to continually buy booster packs or DLCs?

Not really DLC is released a few times in the games lifespan and it's usually quite cheap and definitely not necessary. You only buy "slots" for sealed and it caps out at about 10 but even then you get two for free and since on steam you can edit them quite easily you'll never really have a reason to buy more.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Actually you can have a total of 20 Sealed slots.

On PS3, you can get infinite slots for free by just creating new profiles until you get a couple Sealed pools you like, though personally I've only done that a little bit and I've bought 3 slots because the odds of getting a completely useless slot are very low. Every slot I have has multiple viable builds for all color combinations, due to the sheer amount of cards you get (9 boosters).

edit: Also, on Steam, it is very easy to mod the game so that you have whatever cards you want in Sealed, if you want to just play with the whole card pool.

edit2: Whoops, ^^^^ Already said that. Sorry, just woke up.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
I don't play divination in mind maze. It's a good card, to be sure, but I'd rather not give up the tempo since that deck lives and dies by it.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Welp, apparently the first two unlocks have been activated, but the codes weren't actually released at the events they were supposed to be at. Thanks, Wizards. Thanks a lot.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

legoman727 posted:

Welp, apparently the first two unlocks have been activated, but the codes weren't actually released at the events they were supposed to be at. Thanks, Wizards. Thanks a lot.

Is that why my decks say "30/32" unlocked but I don't get new cards for beating games? I was getting confused.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Am I the only person who doesn't leave the game when it looks like I'm probably going to lose?

Seems kind of rude to just bug out when things turn against you.

About 3/4 of my multiplayer games end with me fighting the AI.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

There's nothing gained if you know for a fact you're going to lose, and in paper and MODO it's customary to concede when you can't win. This game just makes that custom a little bit of a pain in the rear end because your concession doesn't bring about an opponent's win.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There's nothing gained if you know for a fact you're going to lose, and in paper and MODO it's customary to concede when you can't win. This game just makes that custom a little bit of a pain in the rear end because your concession doesn't bring about an opponent's win.

It's more than that though. I usually don't concede even when I'm getting anally violated because I'd like to play another game. Finding games that aren't bugged, against hacked decks, with AFK hosts can be annoying. I dislike that people concede as soon as the game turns against them. Tough it out and play another game with the person.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Promo Code #1: GKSNDR

Promo Code #2: DWNNDR

:)

e: I think XBox users will have to wait, I don't think they're live on that platform.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Rylek posted:

It's more than that though. I usually don't concede even when I'm getting anally violated because I'd like to play another game. Finding games that aren't bugged, against hacked decks, with AFK hosts can be annoying. I dislike that people concede as soon as the game turns against them. Tough it out and play another game with the person.

I never repeat games against people unless I know them or we've had an exceptionally good game.

That said, it does make a good case for a concede option that ends the game immediately and returns both parties to the same lobby.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

precision posted:

Promo Code #1: GKSNDR

Promo Code #2: DWNNDR

:)

e: I think XBox users will have to wait, I don't think they're live on that platform.

Is there a spot to input these on iPad? I'm away from mine, or I'd check myself. I ask because there was an issue with that regarding the "viral unlock" persona.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Are we sure those codes work? I'm entering them in the promotional unlocks area and it's not working.

Steam here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Emron posted:

Is there a spot to input these on iPad? I'm away from mine, or I'd check myself. I ask because there was an issue with that regarding the "viral unlock" persona.

I believe on iPad you have to enter the codes online somewhere. Let me see what I can find out.

edit: :siren: The codes are only for Android, Steam and PS3 right now :siren:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Those codes don't work on Steam. At least, they don't work for me on Steam.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I can confirm they work. Do you have Server-Driven Content enabled in the settings?

(edit: I'm on Steam)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
e: ^^^^ Yeah, make sure you do that

Zurai posted:

Those codes don't work on Steam. At least, they don't work for me on Steam.

They're working for some, not working for others. :iiam:

For the people they're working for, they get an "invalid code" message, but the cards do unlock. Check your deck manager.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I never repeat games against people unless I know them or we've had an exceptionally good game.

That said, it does make a good case for a concede option that ends the game immediately and returns both parties to the same lobby.

I don't repeat because I don't enjoy trying to consistently change decks to mind gently caress what your opponent has changed to. If you could lock decks and play a best of three like FNM I would love it.

Also I always leave/concede when I am guaranteed to lose, if its good enough for paper it's good enough for DotP, but honestly gently caress wizards for taking out "toggle AI takeover" such loving garbage on their end.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I have the server content checkbox checked in options, I get the "invalid code" popup, and I don't get any extra cards when I input the codes.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Are the promo cards foil like last year?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Worked for me on Steam.

(After I didn't try to input them to Magic 2013. Yeah, haven't exactly been playin 2014 that much...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm at work but wife confirmed they worked on PS3.

• Locked thread