Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't use liquid, only the sheets, and YES! The other goon isn't kidding when he says how badly clothes (especially things like dress pants,) cling to themselves, each other, and you when it's dry out.

From what I understand, dryer sheets work by having a small amount of a wax-like substance in them, and in the warm dryer, it sort of "melts" and coats all your clothes, so they feel "softer," and the chemical keeps the actual fabric itself from rubbing against itself as much so less static charge builds up.

The thing that's annoying about them, is that you should never use them on towels, because the substance coats them and makes them really bad at doing their job. The day I learned to dry my towels separately from the rest of my clothes changed my life.

Yeah, if I forget to toss in a dryer sheet during the middle of winter, my load of laundry will pretty much come out of the dryer as a single mass. And I live in Kansas City, so relatively speaking it doesn't even get that cold here.

Also, holy poo poo, I never knew that about towels and fabric softener.

Jerry Cotton posted:

For the past fifteen years I've been told the PC is dead every year, all of the year. Oh hey - it's my favourite obsolete and failed technology, it just still happens to be dominant but that's just a minor detail.

I stole this from someone in another thread and have had it as my corporate IM status for the past couple weeks:

"The PC isn't dead, because *someone* still has to do the actual work being displayed on tablets."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This. Our four-person household has four smartphones, 3 tablets, 4 laptops, and 2 desktops. Each serves a different purpose. That said, the adults share one desktop and use the laptops as primary computers.

My household is just me, and I have 2 desktops (a PC for gaming and a Mac for everything else), a tablet, my work laptop, and my smartphone. And yes, each serves a different purpose for me.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Laptops have no appeal to me at this point. Any casual internet use I can do from my phone and so if I'm going to have a dedicated box for playing games and watching movies it better loving anything on the retail market. Plus there aren't really any laptops that pack as much RAM or as good a graphics card as my desktop, I'm sure some specialty company like Falcon Northwest might but I haven't ever seen one.

Yeah, I've never really had a need for a personal laptop. I do use my work laptop occasionally for personal stuff if I'm researching something while watching TV or whatever, but it wouldn't be a big deal if I had to stop doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

sweeperbravo posted:

I've mentioned this to people and the response I get is "BUT THEN THE TOWELS WON'T BE SOFT."

What I'm saying is, you're the only person on this planet who gets me.

I too know the plight of water retardant towels.

It's ridiculous when every facet of the towel has to be carefully considered, colour, pattern has to be perfect and above all they have to be soft. What do you mean can you dry yourself with them? That's not important.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I've lived in Florida almost my entire life, it never occurred to me that northern climes with dryer air would complicate doing laundry :iia:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Towels are the best when they're just a bit softer than sandpaper.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Can any Eurogoons chime in here? I've never used and sort of 'dryer sheets' or fabric softener in my life. Have I been wasting my washing experience?

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

longview posted:

I too know the plight of water retardant towels.

hydrophobic. :science:

If you really want to piss someone off, spray the towel with scotch-guard.

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Desktops are still the most dominant force for actually doing real stuff as has been mentioned in this thread many times. That being said, I primarily use my laptop over my desktop by far, just because it is portable and can still do most of what I need to do during the day (email, making simple documents, etc). But if I need to do CAD, or programming, database/server administration, or any real work, it's straight to the desktop.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

mng posted:

Can any Eurogoons chime in here? I've never used and sort of 'dryer sheets' or fabric softener in my life. Have I been wasting my washing experience?

I've only seen dryer sheets for sale in french hypermarkets, and they were laughably expensive. But liquid fabric softener is available everywhere and all the washing machines I've seen in Europe have a little compartment for it (it's the flower-like symbol).

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

mng posted:

Here in Sweden, I usually bring back a few boxes from my trips to America to give to friends.

They're like dirt in Waterworld.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Groda posted:

Here in Sweden, I usually bring back a few boxes from my trips to America to give to friends.

They're like dirt in Waterworld.

As an American, I stand ready to offer my services as dryer sheet exporter. For a suitable price. Also, I need to find someone who can fit 3 boxes of dryer sheets up their rear end for the duration of a transatlantic flight.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Honestly I'd be willing to ship people dryer sheets, because I find that concept hilarious. :v:

Also, won't be using them on towels anymore! This thread is amazing.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
In my experience dryer sheets do not work anywhere near as well as liquid fabric softener, but I don't think that really counts as an obsolete technology. Sorry for starting a derail.

I distinctly remember wanting one of these when I was a kid, which makes absolutely no sense considering I didn't have a laptop, and our mouse worked just fine.

I also miss the racks of $10 jewel-case games you could find at most stores with electronics sections, where they would sell late-90's games in bundles for dirt cheap. MDK1&2, the whole old-school Fallout trilogy, Baldur's Gate 2, and a bunch of other old awesome games. poo poo, I think I even found Full Throttle in those racks back in the day.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Ah, those little ball-on-top mouses! I had several friends that swore by them in the 90s/early 2000s, but I could never really get the hang of using them myself.

Also, I was told as a kid that dryer sheets shorten the lifespan of your dryer, so only use liquid softener. Is there any truth to that?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

DicktheCat posted:

Ah, those little ball-on-top mouses! I had several friends that swore by them in the 90s/early 2000s, but I could never really get the hang of using them myself.

Also, I was told as a kid that dryer sheets shorten the lifespan of your dryer, so only use liquid softener. Is there any truth to that?

No.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

I'm not sure this will be very good at softening your laundry. What thread do you think you're in, anyway? :colbert:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
More importantly, did British Rail develop it, and if so, did the ball ever work right?

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Code Jockey posted:

More importantly, did British Rail develop it, and if so, did the ball ever work right?

It was made out of half a bus chassis, so no. Never.

They made the best mechanical keyboards ever, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DicktheCat posted:

As the box says they're called trackballs, and there's nothing obsolete about them - you can buy them in high street electronics and computer chains to this day. They're great for people with limited arm mobility and until recent developments in high-precision mice they were much beloved in the CAD fraternity.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

DicktheCat posted:

Ah, those little ball-on-top mouses!

Ah, that reminds me.

Handheld joysticks

Including the Konix "gently caress you, leftie" Speedking

The Konix (again) "Set phasers to cramp" Navigator

And the Cheetah "apparently quite good, actually" Bug

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

DicktheCat posted:

"No" was already said, but you do have to remember to scrub the lint filter with soap and a brush periodically for the same reason to not use fabric softener on towels - the waxy stuff accumulates on the screen and makes it harder for air to pass through it, so the dryer becomes less efficient.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Prenton posted:

Ah, that reminds me.

Handheld joysticks

Including the Konix "gently caress you, leftie" Speedking

I was watching yet another Ashens Poundland special last week and came across this 30 minute video of him talking about old joysticks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbQajuuX6mM
I never got to use a joystick until an analog flight stick years later :smith:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Prenton posted:

Ah, that reminds me.

Handheld joysticks

As opposed to arcade cabinet ones? Did everyone else stick these to the table or something?

The Atari ones also worked great with the C64. I remember taking typing class in middle school, you could also play games on the Apple IIs and I *hated* the analog joysticks, they were just such poo poo compared to the digital Atari ones.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Jedit posted:

As the box says they're called trackballs, and there's nothing obsolete about them - you can buy them in high street electronics and computer chains to this day. They're great for people with limited arm mobility and until recent developments in high-precision mice they were much beloved in the CAD fraternity.

For sure, we use a trackball for our ghetto POS system at work. It's perfectly suited for the small space it's in. I was referring to the ridiculous little ones that clip to the side of your keyboard/old-rear end laptop.

Speaking of joysticks,

Man, playing Falcon 4.0 and Mechwarrior 3 on this thing was the buttery jams. Sadly, I cannot think of a single game that'd utilize it nowadays.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Radio Help posted:

For sure, we use a trackball for our ghetto POS system at work. It's perfectly suited for the small space it's in. I was referring to the ridiculous little ones that clip to the side of your keyboard/old-rear end laptop.

Speaking of joysticks,

Man, playing Falcon 4.0 and Mechwarrior 3 on this thing was the buttery jams. Sadly, I cannot think of a single game that'd utilize it nowadays.

I dusted mine of recently to play World of Warplanes. And a friend of mine is loving deadly in a chopper in Battlefield 2 with his.
I've also heard about some guys using theirs to play Kerbal Space Program, but thats just weird!

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Totally Reasonable posted:

Laptops are going to have a place with reporters and other writing professionals for a good long time. Nobody is going to enjoy typing at 65wpm on something with a <10" screen.

I cannot stand using anything but a full size keyboard and I'm not a fan of trackpads so I tend to hate all manner of laptops. I do have one but I only really use it for school work if I go to the library or a coffee shop or whatever. I also find it completely defeats the purpose of having a laptop if I still have to have a peripheral keyboard and mouse.

I have a desktop because it was on sale and I can get replacement parts should something break.

What gets me though? That keyboard clits are still a thing.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Jedit posted:

They're great for people with limited arm mobility and until recent developments in high-precision mice they were much beloved in the CAD fraternity.

They're also fantastic for discouraging anyone else at work from trying to use your computer, especially if you've got the buttons mapped in a way that's even more confusing than the default.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Blue_monday posted:

That is the Thinkpad Clitmouse. I have an X60 Tablet and an x61 Tablet - The X60 (on which I am writing this post) is missing it's clit and I use a USB wireless mouse.

I'm not sure if I look sophisticated or a total loving sperg using the clit so both machines have a USB wireless mouse.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Blue_monday posted:

TrackPoints own ok :colbert:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Blue_monday posted:

This is better than any other possible portable pointing device, including apple's multitouch trackpads and any touch screen. If you say otherwise you have obviously never used one and I will fight you.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Most laptops do have a 100% full sized keyboard - even the little 12.5" HP I'm using is only very slightly off.

Also the track point is anything but obsolete - almost all business class laptops have one and a lot of people prefer it as its Mich easier to use in conjunction with the keyboard than any other type of pointing device.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

dissss posted:

Most laptops do have a 100% full sized keyboard - even the little 12.5" HP I'm using is only very slightly off.

This is incorrect. There can only be one

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

blugu64 posted:

This guy has the right idea.

I've been using an old school Model M keyboard on my home computer for years, and it is the best keyboard ever made. Big, thick and heavy, this fucker was made to last. Made with heavy gauge plastic and backed by a 6lb steel plate, it can be used as a weapon. The one I'm typing this post on is 24 years old, and it's just as good as the day it was manufactured. Every keyboard since cribbed its layout from this one - prior to the Model M, odd manufacturer specific layouts were the norm. the modern "standard" layout just shortened the spacebar and crammed the windows/right click keys in there.

The only thing you can call "obsolete" about the Model M is the lack of USB and windows keys. You can get newly manufactured ones that have those amenities, but they don't compare to the build quality of the IBM branded ones.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Funny the model M came up in this thread, I found one on someone's verge collection the other day. Cleaned it up like new, works great (Birthday 27JUN89) two missing keycaps and a PS2 adapter ordered and on their way.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
The best part about the model M is that it's super versatile if you somehow DO break it. It retains its usefulness in myriad ways. It's a boat anchor, a hammer, a self-defense tool, a riot shield, a car jackstand, and a doorstop all in one! Not to mention its obvious use as a garrote and subsequent free-climbing rig.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

The best part about the model M is that it's super versatile if you somehow DO break it. It retains its usefulness in myriad ways. It's a boat anchor, a hammer, a self-defense tool, a riot shield, a car jackstand, and a doorstop all in one! Not to mention its obvious use as a garrote and subsequent free-climbing rig.

Or you can get it fixed at the factory.

http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/Repair

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

After my Gravis gamepad, I had one of these ugly fuckers.

The switch on the analog stick let you confine it to only move horizontally or vertically. The thing felt like garbage, but it got me through all manner of awful 3D video games.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mr. Beefhead posted:

You don't even use the dryer sheet kind in your neck of the woods?

Most people don't use a dryer. I've never seen a dryer although I know they exist.

Auryn posted:

Do those of you who don't use fabric softener live in warmer climates? Because during winter around here, my clothes get so much static cling that if I don't use fabric softener I walk around with my pants glued to my legs and crackling with every step.

Quite the opposite here. Air-drying probably helps with the static? Or rather, not tumble drying means there is no build-up in the first place. My clothes seem soft enough anyway :shrug:

mng posted:

No, if your nipples and/or ballls aren't chafing with hard-rear end fabrics and exploding with built-up static electricity, you probably don't need fabric softener.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

blugu64 posted:

Holy poo poo there's a model M with a clitoris mouse and mouse buttons. I must own this.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Jerry Cotton posted:

Quite the opposite here. Air-drying probably helps with the static? Or rather, not tumble drying means there is no build-up in the first place. My clothes seem soft enough anyway :shrug:

It doesn't. I took my un-Downy-ed clothes off the line the other day and played frisbee with them.

edit: I now see you said "static" and not "stiffness." Well, uh. I guess they were pretty staticky too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

blugu64 posted:

While the keyboard as a whole is obviously much bigger and heavier than something modern you'll find the key spacing of the main part of the keyboard (ie Q to P) is exactly the same as anything else.