Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Ya, same here, pretty much nailed the Fight Club look. I also like the idea that the Revenge Society is squatting there. It helps explain why they showed the Revenge Society cameo and looking back at the scene where Billy helps Red Mantle and Dragoon it really looks like it's supposed to be the kitchen where they do the hand burning scene in Fight Club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Since we're on "Guess the Monarch's Parents" ad nauseum this season, the two crushes under Brainulo's control: them?

And since Action Man wants to plow her, ends up being Monarch's dad?

And since apparently that's Billy's mom, Billy and the Monarch are half-brothers? And the Monarch's mom is still alive?

OK I'm done, I even want to give myself a wedgie now

GD_American fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 23, 2013

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

GD_American posted:

Since we're on "Guess the Monarch's Parents" ad nauseum this season, the two crushes under Brainulo's control: them?

And since Action Man wants to plow her, ends up being Monarch's dad?

And since apparently that's Billy's mom, Billy and the Monarch are half-brothers? And the Monarch's mom is still alive?

OK I'm done, I even want to give myself a wedgie now

Well, she was a goody good and Action Man has been chasing her for a long time.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Another Person posted:

I actually think that the house looks more like the Fight Club house. It is what I thought of first. It even has the horrible industrial background going for it.

Or it's a generic rich person's house that's fallen on hard times.

Jesus Christ

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Jesus Christ

I wasn't doing the grasping ideas thing, like the people thinking it was the Mad Men house despite being a few weeks after that ep aired. I legit just thought "Oh, that place looks like Durden's place. Odd."

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
The way they animated the Monarch and Rusty's conversation, they really focused on how similar they are, both as characters and how similar their character design is. I'm a bit surprised that the Monarch didn't even ask him about the photo, but I guess that'll be next season.

Oh, also, those two robots/cyborgs old Team Venture was fighting were the Monarch's parents, right?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Emerson Cod posted:

Oh, also, those two robots/cyborgs old Team Venture was fighting were the Monarch's parents, right?
Didn't they just have mind control collars (or maybe explosive ones) on? Like, members (heh) of Team Venture actively wanted to have sex with these people.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Didn't they just have mind control collars (or maybe explosive ones) on? Like, members (heh) of Team Venture actively wanted to have sex with these people.

No one for humongoloid?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Jesus Christ

You ever see something and instantly say to yourself, "oh hey that looks like X". That's what I said when I saw the house. I'm not trying to draw parallels between the show and the movie, just that the second I saw it, I thought I saw it before. Bottom line is, no1c... wait. I mean, it doesn't matter.

PS, don't sign your posts.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I kind of wish this episode was an hour long because I really thought it was a lead in to the season finale :(

Not a bad episode or anything, and it feels like it builds into the next season well. I just hope we don't have to wait like seven more years.

t3h_z0r
Oct 13, 2012

"A cop in body armor is designed to look intimidating."
I AM A LIAR
I really hope that they hire more voice actors even though I know that's not going to happen. McCollugh and Hammer can do about four distinct voices apiece but are voicing like 40 characters between them. It's gotten to the point that it's distracting.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I don't think I've ever noticed it :shrug:

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
I keep feeling that this is kinda like a mind-season break. Feels like the end of "Pinstripes & Poltergeists". Hopefully that means the next season's going to be full of payoff.

Speaking of such - since Dr. Mrs. The Monarch is no longer the #2 for the Monarch, doesn't this mean that 21 is going to be the new Number Two? He could finally be Viceroy.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

t3h_z0r posted:

I really hope that they hire more voice actors even though I know that's not going to happen. McCollugh and Hammer can do about four distinct voices apiece but are voicing like 40 characters between them. It's gotten to the point that it's distracting.

I don't think it's going to happen, these are the people who said that now that they were making Gap manager money they were going to start dressing up like millionaires such as Thurston Howell, III. They don't have the budget sadly.

t3h_z0r
Oct 13, 2012

"A cop in body armor is designed to look intimidating."
I AM A LIAR

I don't think I've ever noticed it :shrug:

A lot of the minor characters sound alike, which isn't that big a deal. Dermott sounds exactly like a slow sarcastic 21 and Action Man and Sgt. Hatred have almost the exact same voice.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It also means the show has basically zero female characters, apart from the one who has a man's voice. does one of them not at least have a girlfriend who could come in to record some lines one time?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

2house2fly posted:

It also means the show has basically zero female characters, apart from the one who has a man's voice. does one of them not at least have a girlfriend who could come in to record some lines one time?

Yeah, that's why we don't see Triana much anymore, she was voiced by Doc Hammer's now ex-wife. :eng101:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a similar beef with a similar show James Urbaniac is on: The Thrilling Adventure Hour. I don't recall a single recurring female character on the show who isn't defined in some way by her romantic relationships. It's also written by a two-man duo.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

^^^
Amelia Earhart Fearless Flyer? Also I dunno, all the lead characters in Sparks Nevada and Beyond Belief and that hobo princess one are sort of defined by their pursuit of whatever relationship.

Man the music on the outro was so touching. :3:

Also, oops, my bad:

epitasis posted:

OK look, I'm all for the out-there speculation, but basing it off the very limited voice acting cast is just a step too far.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 23, 2013

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Poque posted:

Yeah, that's why we don't see Triana much anymore, she was voiced by Doc Hammer's now ex-wife. :eng101:

She was his ex before the show even started

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

2house2fly posted:

That is the most annoying part of the show for me, honestly.

Jane Tuesday
Dec 8, 2004

I see in fucking Technicolor.

Burning_Monk posted:

Watching the season finale and notice it's resemblance to this other season finale.

Mad Men

Venture Bros

I thought it looked kind of like this iconic photo of a dilapidated house in Detroit (now demolished). Probably pure coincidence, though.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Pick posted:

That is the most annoying part of the show for me, honestly.
One way to interpret it, though, is that the show is about failure and stupidity -- two things that men are much, much better at than women, so naturally, there won't be as many women. Pretty much all of the women in the show, except for a couple, are much smarter, more well-adjusted, and just better all-around than the men, who are almost universally terrible.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Doctor Candiru posted:

One way to interpret it, though, is that the show is about failure and stupidity -- two things that men are much, much better at than women, so naturally, there won't be as many women. Pretty much all of the women in the show, except for a couple, are much smarter, more well-adjusted, and just better all-around than the men, who are almost universally terrible.

God dammit we aren't loving fairy folk.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

2house2fly posted:

Kate McKinnon does random voices here and there but she got busy when SNL herd her.

SevenSixTwoX39
Jun 28, 2009

Capitalism has triumphed all over the world, but this triumph is only the prelude to the triumph of labour over capital.

Doctor Candiru posted:

I think it's probably more likely that since both of the creators of the show are men, they find it easier to write for male characters and it's probably easier and cheaper for production since they do so many of the voices. That and obviously men are (:biotruths:) better at failure than women, somehow.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

I'm ignoring their having an established grave defecation tradition because I want this to work damnit

I was wondering if the writers were just trying to make the viewers decide if they meant fertilization by defecation or by masturbation. But then, I might have missed Hank pulling his pants up after crapping or something. All I saw was him unzipping his pants.

SevenSixTwoX39 posted:

I think it's probably more likely that since both of the creators of the show are men, they find it easier to write for male characters and it's probably easier and cheaper for production since they do so many of the voices. That or obviously men are (:biotruths:) better at failure than women, somehow.
It's totally the second option (that I fixed for you). :colbert:

Just in case the :colbert: didn't make the sarcasm obvious: I am female and the edit was a joke. I doubt SevenSixTwoX39 is actually sexist. I feel the gender clarification might be necessary to avoid someone calling me a sexist male. Oh wait, this is the VB thread where most people aren't whiny babies.

Bored fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 23, 2013

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Doctor Candiru posted:

I think it's just the admitted immaturity of the two creators. The universe is basically a much better-written and nuanced teenage boy fantasy land; it's pretty funny reading the commentariat on Jezebel and other femblogs try to reconcile their love of VB with how unconcerned it is in trying to fit female voices into it (or the one character they really despise, Molotov Cocktease).

In the end, it's a show about two teenagers and the hosed-up grownup men around them. The few women in the show generally just seem to be there for contrast, to show the true depths of how hosed up the men on the show are.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

GD_American posted:

I think it's just the admitted immaturity of the two creators. The universe is basically a much better-written and nuanced teenage boy fantasy land; it's pretty funny reading the commentariat on Jezebel and other femblogs try to reconcile their love of VB with how unconcerned it is in trying to fit female voices into it (or the one character they really despise, Molotov Cocktease).

In the end, it's a show about two teenagers and the hosed-up grownup men around them. The few women in the show generally just seem to be there for contrast, to show the true depths of how hosed up the men on the show are.

Also the closest thing they have to a mother is an ex-pedophile who is growing tits.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

They did talk about this on the Slate podcast.

SevenSixTwoX39
Jun 28, 2009

Capitalism has triumphed all over the world, but this triumph is only the prelude to the triumph of labour over capital.

bobkatt013 posted:

Also the closest thing they have to a mother is an ex-pedophile who is growing tits.

Well there is also their "mother," Myra who is totally insane. I think between her, Molotov, Sally Impossible and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch you've got all the recurring female characters covered. Other than maybe Mrs. Gathers in previous episodes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SevenSixTwoX39 posted:

Well there is also their "mother," Myra who is totally insane.

Myra is not there mother and never really knew her so that is why she does not count.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Doctor Candiru posted:

What kind of creepy self-deprecating white knight are you? Stop posting.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like to believe there's a Mrs Colonel Gentleman out there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sash! posted:

I like to believe there's a Mrs Colonel Gentleman out there.

If there is she is a huge beard.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GD_American posted:

It's not super hard to reconcile it; a person doesn't have to agree 100% with a media property's decisions to enjoy that media property. Venture Bros is one of my favorite shows because it's clever and loving hilarious, but it wouldn't kill them to include some more women. Or, like, Asians I guess? There was like that one robotics guy. You know, just stuff.

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 23, 2013

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Pick posted:

It's not super hard to reconcile it; a person doesn't have to agree 100% with a media property's decisions to enjoy that media property. Venture Bros is one of my favorite shows because it's clever and loving hilarious, but it wouldn't kill them to include some more women. Or, like, Asians I guess? There was like that one robotics guy. You know, just stuff.

Don't forget Dr. Z and his wife.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

If there is she is a huge beard.

Colonel Gentleman is attracted to women too!

They actually go in to this in...I have no idea what episode's commentary. Basically, Colonel Gentleman will have sex with anyone.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bored posted:

Don't forget Dr. Z and his wife.

I don't know if you get credit for characters you inherit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Pick posted:

Consider who I was talking about. "Guilty pleasure" is, to them, something they actually really seem to feel guilty about enjoying.

Oh Christ, we're in for another year+ of this kind of poo poo, aren't we?