Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Colon V posted:

I really don't understand what we we have to gain from keeping a six-year-old, outdated thread around. People... don't have to switch their bookmarks on one thread? :confuoot:

It's like saying "I really don't see why should we have those medieval churches around, we should burn them to the ground"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Call Now posted:

It's like saying "I really don't see why should we have those medieval churches around, we should burn them to the ground"

That is the Notre Dame of bad analogies.

God I love that latest strip. Pieces, falling into place.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fried Chicken posted:

This same point came up last year when D&D kept having new election threads every week. Apparently something in the boards software means it doesn't handle large threads real well, even if you don't have people reading past pages.

The weekly election threads were so each thread could have an appropriate title/OP to go with the week's news. Don't think it was a performance thing.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
HEY LOOK THE LINEAR GUILD MADE IT OUT ALIVE.

Can we get back to the comic now?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

My Lovely Horse posted:

About time someone said it and triggered the :siren:NEW COMIC:siren:

Good job there, Blackwing.

So it begins...

Did we get the Fiends' names before, or is this the first time?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They showed V their business cards when they first showed up. If they're news to you though, note the reference to alignment abbreviations - Lee is Lawful Evil, Nero is Neutral Evil, and Cedrik is Chaotic Evil, all three flavours of evil working together.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
All working together to stamp out those insidious neutrals.

V: If I don't survive this, tell my wife I said... Hello

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

My Lovely Horse posted:

They showed V their business cards when they first showed up. If they're news to you though, note the reference to alignment abbreviations - Lee is Lawful Evil, Nero is Neutral Evil, and Cedrik is Chaotic Evil, all three flavours of evil working together.

I like these little insights we get into how their team dynamic works - each behaves in accordance with their own alignment and brings something to the team that they wouldn't be able to achieve individually.

Edit: Sabine's comment "I've seen them take down more righteous mortals than you" makes me wonder if they have made similar deals with other characters in the strip.

DoctorTristan fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 22, 2013

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

DoctorTristan posted:

I like these little insights we get into how their team dynamic works - each behaves in accordance with their own alignment and brings something to the team that they wouldn't be able to achieve individually.

It's true sinergy.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

mmkay posted:

I hope Rich is ok.

Seeing the back of this tired meme is the best reason to replace the thread.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I hope SuperKlaus is ok.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am going to out on a limb and say that Rich is going to update on wednesday and friday. Last week he managed to updated on sunday night, as well as on wednesday and friday without fail, which seems to me like an indication that he's trying to go back to the regular schedule he had before his health problems/burn out/ennui/alleged self-mutilation/secret NSA career.

ASMR Yodeling
Nov 16, 2008

So tingly!

Call Now posted:

This thread should be closed with extreme prejudice, just for that analogy.

On topic: So any new guesses on what these fiends want? I would've gone back through the thread to see what people said in the past, but since this thread is so loving huge, I'm not going to even try. My running guess was the same as the raven's, that the lower circles are looking for a new world to harvest. But since Rich put it out there himself, there's a 0% chance of it.

So: maybe the demons, devils, etc. are tired of living in Hell, and want to take over the planet for themselves? Maybe it's their homeworld, and the gods swooped them all up and forced them to basically be the wardens of Hell? Maybe the planet is the Krypton-like homeworld of the gods themselves, and the fiends are the original inhabitants of the oots-world?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
It seems like every villain except Xykon can remember Roy's name these days. Hell I'm surprised Redcloak even knew his name because I think the last time they ever met face to face was for the five or so minutes it took for Roy to decapitate Xykon and throw his skull at Durokon's Gate. Unless someone mentioned it to him somewhere else, I honestly can't remember because it's been a loving long time since I did a proper re-read. :(

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

ASMR Yodeling posted:

This thread should be closed with extreme prejudice, just for that analogy.

On topic: So any new guesses on what these fiends want? I would've gone back through the thread to see what people said in the past, but since this thread is so loving huge, I'm not going to even try. My running guess was the same as the raven's, that the lower circles are looking for a new world to harvest. But since Rich put it out there himself, there's a 0% chance of it.

So: maybe the demons, devils, etc. are tired of living in Hell, and want to take over the planet for themselves? Maybe it's their homeworld, and the gods swooped them all up and forced them to basically be the wardens of Hell? Maybe the planet is the Krypton-like homeworld of the gods themselves, and the fiends are the original inhabitants of the oots-world?

I am fairly certain the planet is an entire new development, that happened entirely inbetween the building of the gates and the current events. That means that during the millennia since the second creation there really was a giant god slaying monstrosity imprisoned in the new planet and only now it actually became one of its own. My guess would be that the Snarl actually untangled itself, probably catalyzed by the gates since it happened in extremely short period of time since they were build.

For what the fiends actually want, I would be a bit disappointed if they were just simple war-profiters, in the vain of 'Do you know how many souls we got from the conflict between Xykon and the Order? Why would we ever want one side to win?'
But knowing OotS, I am pretty certain that wont happen and their actual scheme will be a lot more complicated, while still incredible fitting for a D&D universe.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

It seems like every villain except Xykon can remember Roy's name these days. Hell I'm surprised Redcloak even knew his name because I think the last time they ever met face to face was for the five or so minutes it took for Roy to decapitate Xykon and throw his skull at Durokon's Gate. Unless someone mentioned it to him somewhere else, I honestly can't remember because it's been a loving long time since I did a proper re-read. :(

Redcloak is the player who makes sure to write down all the character's names and every plot point.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
A new thread would be easier to navigate.

Back when V first sold hir soul, didn't the fiends outright say that they wanted conflict? Maybe their goal is to simply thwart the Dark One, since a god having a big enough weapon to shut up all the other gods could result in peace; A sort of Pax Goblina, if you will. Goblins at the top of society, no one may so much as look at them funny without the Dark One whistling non-chalantly while drumming his claws on the lever (I'm assuming it will be a lever) that opens the gate to the snarl. (Whatever is actually does is, of course, less important than what the other gods think it does). Since there's no point in jockeying for status and/or power anymore, what with Goblins hogging it all, there is then no cause for war among the other races, and thus little or none of that precious conflict.

ETA: Does vampirism negatively affect Int/Wis? Because it seems that Durkon is now lower than Nale on the IQ charts.

TheAceOfLungs fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 23, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

sebmojo posted:

That is the Notre Dame of bad analogies.

It's perfectly valid :colbert:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

e X posted:

For what the fiends actually want, I would be a bit disappointed if they were just simple war-profiters, in the vain of 'Do you know how many souls we got from the conflict between Xykon and the Order? Why would we ever want one side to win?'
But knowing OotS, I am pretty certain that wont happen and their actual scheme will be a lot more complicated, while still incredible fitting for a D&D universe.

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Back when V first sold hir soul, didn't the fiends outright say that they wanted conflict? Maybe their goal is to simply thwart the Dark One, since a god having a big enough weapon to shut up all the other gods could result in peace; A sort of Pax Goblina, if you will. Goblins at the top of society, no one may so much as look at them funny without the Dark One whistling non-chalantly while drumming his claws on the lever (I'm assuming it will be a lever) that opens the gate to the snarl. (Whatever is actually does is, of course, less important than what the other gods think it does). Since there's no point in jockeying for status and/or power anymore, what with Goblins hogging it all, there is then no cause for war among the other races, and thus little or none of that precious conflict.

Whatever their plan is, if successful it will be "trivial" for them to kill five Good dragons for every black one V killed. They are shooting for something much, much bigger than either of these two.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Remember also that Xykon and company had been watching and listening to the Order of the Stick through a crystal ball for some time as they made their way through the first dungeon. While not face to face, I would imagine a high wisdom character would pick up the faces and names quickly.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

DoctorTristan posted:

Whatever their plan is, if successful it will be "trivial" for them to kill five Good dragons for every black one V killed. They are shooting for something much, much bigger than either of these two.

Well, we've got five gates. :v: Maybe none of them are going to the same planet.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
How long is the peace between Malack and Nale going to last now that their quest is basically over?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Network Pesci posted:

How long is the peace between Malack and Nale going to last now that their quest is basically over?

I'm not sure, but I just noticed that Malack and Durkula are completely undamaged whereas Nale and the drow look pretty hosed up. Bad news for Nale if Malack decides that their agreement is now at end.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

On the other hand it'd be hilarious if Malack picked the fight and Nale dispelled his Protection from Daylight on the spot.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Colonel Cool posted:

On the other hand it'd be hilarious if Malack picked the fight and Nale dispelled his Protection from Daylight on the spot.

Would that even be possible for Nale, though? I've only got a very vague understanding of class spells in D&D, though I am aware that Nale has said that he's multi-classed in the past. If he can, though, it'd be perfectly in-character for him to have kept something like that, especially since he presumably already knew Malack was a vampire from the whole 'killing Malack's 'children'' bit.

Then again, I'd not be surprised if Malack opened up with that spell of his that knocks the target down into single-digit HP, and for Durkon to deal the finishing blow.

Knowing Burlew, though, Nale's probably going to end up finding a way to weasel out of being Enemy Number One with Malack again. Or, at least he'll try to. :v:

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

Would that even be possible for Nale, though?

It's pretty unlikely, though not impossible, that Nale could dispel it himself, though Malack isn't that high level either.

But it's completely possible that Nale is packing a magic item with a more powerful dispel for just such an occasion.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Can you dispel magic item effects? Malack mentioned his immunity to daylight is artifact based.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Can you dispel magic item effects? Malack mentioned his immunity to daylight is artifact based.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0871.html

It's a spell, no? Unless he said at some other point that he replaced his spell with an item and I'm just forgetting about it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Even if it IS dispelled, I imagine he could just cast it again before he "dies".

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Huh I could have sworn he mentioned getting Durkon a magic item with protection from daylight when Durkon wandered into the sun but re-reading it's not there.

I still think Nale is dead meat, Tarquin doesn't value him at all and would probably kill Nale even if he won against Malack just to give Elan a shake your fist at the heavens and swear vengeance moment.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yeah, at this point I think Nale has rather outlived his plot relevance potential. However, if he DIES dies here, then you couldn't really explore the dramatic tension between Sabine's loyalty to Nale and her bosses.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

Even if it IS dispelled, I imagine he could just cast it again before he "dies".

A vampire in sunlight is completely boned, actually. All he's capable of doing at that point is run as far as he can in six seconds and then die if he can't get to shelter.

SirDan3k posted:

I still think Nale is dead meat, Tarquin doesn't value him at all and would probably kill Nale even if he won against Malack just to give Elan a shake your fist at the heavens and swear vengeance moment.

Yeah maybe. Or maybe Nale is coming up for his own sudden moment of character development and newfound relevance. I think Thog was conspicuously "left for dead" for a reason and Sabine and Nale's romance is going to have a payoff at some point. I wouldn't count Nale out of it yet.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Nale is like a roach, he lives on. It's funny how the Linear Guild reflects the OOTS almost exactly in this one respect, they keep on trucking no matter how much they gently caress up.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

DoctorTristan posted:

Edit: Sabine's comment "I've seen them take down more righteous mortals than you" makes me wonder if they have made similar deals with other characters in the strip.

I don't even think Sabine's comment has to imply a deal; that's a Lawful, diabolical tactic. What if the fiends have also used Chaotic techniques to "take down more righteous mortals"? Specifically, what if the fiends manipulated events to sow distrust between a righteous paladin and a (self-)righteous illusionist? At several points in the story, Order of the Stick members have openly wondered at "what the hell happened to make these people hate each other so much" - we get a crayon drawing of Kraagor dying/getting sucked into the rift, but A. that might be unreliable narration, and B. Girard and Soon seem to loathe each other well before that.

SirDan3k posted:

Did I miss a scene where Tarquin and the kobold went back to town? And if not, where are they? I guess they could have just dashed out in time, but it seems like Qarr didn't teleport them out. (And it's not like Sabine would have asked him to.)

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Yeah while Sabine works for the fiends, I got the impression that her personal loyalties lie with Nale, and his with her.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Colonel Cool posted:

A vampire in sunlight is completely boned, actually. All he's capable of doing at that point is run as far as he can in six seconds and then die if he can't get to shelter.

Oh? It's pretty much No save, YOU DIE type thing? I assumed it would be like a buncha dies damage per round or some such. I admit my knowledge of DnD vampires is lacking.
Malack seems like the type to take such an event into consideration, and have a backup.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I'm not sure how loyal Nale is to her, but it's probably a moot point because there's no way Malak's not going to massacre him the moment he considers this mission over. (Although I guess they could see each other in hell.)

SirDan3k posted:

Huh I could have sworn he mentioned getting Durkon a magic item with protection from daylight when Durkon wandered into the sun but re-reading it's not there.

You're probably thinking of the fact that he keeps the spell stored in his rod, instead of memorized.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Did I miss a scene where Tarquin and the kobold went back to town? And if not, where are they? I guess they could have just dashed out in time, but it seems like Qarr didn't teleport them out. (And it's not like Sabine would have asked him to.)

Sort of. They stayed behind while Tarquin completed an errand of some sort. We've been assuming that meant he was calling in the rest of his team, but that's just speculation. If he isn't calling in the big guns, I can't imagine what else he's doing though.

Kilkil can fly, and Tarquin is both genre saavy and has a pterodactyl mount on hand, so I'm sure they both got the gently caress outta there as soon as the pyramid started shaking.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Colonel Cool posted:

He's a lizard in loose sand he could probably dig ten feet straight down in six seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

What is Malack anyway? Did we ever have that answered?