Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
On that note, I laugh every time I look at my picture from Zion when I got into camping again. I've upgraded almost every piece of gear I have (except the pack itself) but I still had my best national park experience carrying this (I'm on the left)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

On that note, I laugh every time I look at my picture from Zion when I got into camping again. I've upgraded almost every piece of gear I have (except the pack itself) but I still had my best national park experience carrying this (I'm on the left)

Zion is heaven on earth you could have packed two Walmart sacks and had fun.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Received an invite to do Four Pass Loop with a great group of ladies in a few weeks...as an overnight trip. :haw:

I'm both looking forward to it and actively dreading it all at the same time!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I really need to invest in a topography map for the areas I hike in. I ended up on some nameless ridge between several mountains with no way to traverse them without tons of downclimbing. On the other hand, I now have plans to hit up both the mountains I missed in one weekend. Though Kane Peak looks like one a hell of a hike.

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

A good map probably has the highest ratio of usefulness to price of any hiking equipment.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I.G. posted:

A good map probably has the highest ratio of usefulness to price of any hiking equipment.
Until you remember you have a condom in your medkit just like everyone told you to

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Until you remember you have a condom in your medkit just like everyone told you to

Finally, someone who isn't afraid of bears.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Levitate posted:

oh I'm not! I'm just trying to tell someone who is looking into buying equipment for the first time that if they can't afford ultralight gear, that it doesn't mean they're doing it wrong or something like that. Light gear definitely makes things better (as long as you're not stupid about what weight you're cutting) but not everyone has the money to invest in that stuff when they're first getting started and they shouldn't feel like they're getting "crappy gear" or something because they can't afford to get the best.

I think you're absolutely right here, and would add that this us where research can pay off. Not that heavy gear is usually a showstopper, but depending on the budget a moderate increase in price (like $50) might allow for lighter or better gear. Just as an example, comparing the proposed sleeping bag at $140ish to the MH Ultralamina 15 ($190ish on sale) can save more than two pounds. Of course, not a deal breaker, but doing the research and shopping around can find some great deals on good gear. This is especially true if you have plenty of time to wait for sales.

But then again I love learning and talking about gear, but I know not everyone has the patience or inclination for that!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Maps rule. I have stacks and stacks of maps that I always study before I do anything new. I like to be able to name mountains as we go. Sometimes I go onto a government site and check out the geology maps to see if I'm getting into any interesting rocks or fossil-heavy beds, and also so I can tell my buddies on the trail: "This shale is approximately 70 million years old. Isn't that loving cool?".

I also just completed my minor in geography, which should tell you: I loving LOVE maps!

On a side note, my friend has now decided she wants me to take her backpacking in Waterton/Glacier. There's a really high chance we're going to see some bears. I hope we do, even though she is super afraid of bears. But then she'll get to learn that black bears are no scarier than a big dog, really.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

Maps rule. I have stacks and stacks of maps that I always study before I do anything new. I like to be able to name mountains as we go. Sometimes I go onto a government site and check out the geology maps to see if I'm getting into any interesting rocks or fossil-heavy beds, and also so I can tell my buddies on the trail: "This shale is approximately 70 million years old. Isn't that loving cool?".

I also just completed my minor in geography, which should tell you: I loving LOVE maps!

On a side note, my friend has now decided she wants me to take her backpacking in Waterton/Glacier. There's a really high chance we're going to see some bears. I hope we do, even though she is super afraid of bears. But then she'll get to learn that black bears are no scarier than a big dog, really.

Send me her address I will forward her a copy of "night of the grizzlies" for her to read before you go :)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Erudite Sybarite posted:

My boyfriend and I broke up, and I have decided that I want to get the gently caress out of town and go to Gatlinburg to walk this off. I have been hiking pretty much only on day trips through the wetlands and grosser parts of central Florida, and I know the Rockies are completely different terrain. Has anyone been to Gatlinburg? I'm not really that concerned with the money aspect of it, but I'm really excited to see a different part of the south.

And yes, before I get ahead of myself, I plan on doing some overnight trips to really get me into being alone and in the woods, but I always like advice.

I haven't been to Gatlinburg itself, but do you mean the Smokies, not the Rockies?
Appalachia in general is not the most dangerous place. I mean, any deep backcountry can be dangerous, but at least Appalachia has plenty of water, its mountains are comparatively gentle (e.g. compared to this), and the weather, though it's definitely weather, is not as intense as I've heard it is in, say, Colorado.

Anyway, ease your way into it and be smart about it, but I think you'll be fine. Appalachia is beautiful.

edit: vvvvvvvvvvvv I've done a few really nice (dry-season) hikes in florida, and everyone thought I was crazy. Even when I got TO a state park, the park employees themselves didn't know how to answer my questions about hiking and seemed very confused that I was here to hike around :confused:

alnilam fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 22, 2013

Erudite Sybarite
Jun 11, 2007

Is that a first edition? I'm oddly aroused.

Picnic Princess posted:

But then she'll get to learn that black bears are no scarier than a big dog, really.

I can shove my entire hand into the mouths of both of my pit bulls. I don't think a bear would take kindly to that.

Today I don't work until 5, so I'm going on a mudwalk. The one underrated thing I love about Florida is the vast amount of gooey, gooey grossness here.

^^^ Yes! I meant the Smokies, but thanks! I've been doing full gear day hikes for the past two weeks and will be doing a few over nights before I leave next month, but I found your post encouraging. I won't be there the entire time, but I wanted to be prepared.

Most of the time people think I'm crazy when it ones to the mud, but there was a bunch of field trips I remember doing as a kid that revolved around them so I guess I have some fond memories.

Erudite Sybarite fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 22, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

BeefofAges posted:

Finally, someone who isn't afraid of bears.
Hahahahahaha

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

A Kpro posted:

I really need to invest in a topography map for the areas I hike in. I ended up on some nameless ridge between several mountains with no way to traverse them without tons of downclimbing. On the other hand, I now have plans to hit up both the mountains I missed in one weekend. Though Kane Peak looks like one a hell of a hike.

Maps are excellent. Even better, get foldable laminated maps and/or a good waterproof map case. Makes navigation in the rain a breeze.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I am looking at going on a weekend backpacking trip somewhere in the White Mountains. I have only ever gone to the Whites for day trips. Anyone have any suggestions for 2 night, 2.5 day trip? Peak bagging isn't required, but I'd like to go ~10-15 miles. I have a topo map.

We'll be doing low impact LNT, and I was hoping to camp in an area where they allow camping in non established sites. Any areas I should focus on?

Aliass
Dec 25, 2008
Grizzleys seem scary but black bears dont really look all that scary. I should be fine hiking by myself in yosemite right? as long as i take the proper bear precautions?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Aliass posted:

Grizzleys seem scary but black bears dont really look all that scary. I should be fine hiking by myself in yosemite right? as long as i take the proper bear precautions?

Definitely. Just make sure you follow other common sense safety rules, like telling your friends and family your itinerary.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

BeefofAges posted:

Definitely. Just make sure you follow other common sense safety rules, like telling your friends and family your itinerary.

And bringing a sharp knife, preferably with a saw ... you know, just in case.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Aliass posted:

black bears dont really look all that scary.

The ones in Appalachia are practically scared of their own shadow; they'll run up a tree at the first sign of pretty much anything.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So I bought a Passage 1 last summer (in mid-July), used it twice , but now am thinking about the Passage 2. Does REI's new return policy prevent me from switching out?

vvv I thought it was a 1 year policy, hm I'll re-read it.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 23, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

No.

e: the new policy is only for things bought AFTER they enacted said policy. I've returned things more than a year old since they enacted the new policy. No problem.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 23, 2013

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

So I bought a Passage 1 last summer (in mid-July), used it twice , but now am thinking about the Passage 2. Does REI's new return policy prevent me from switching out?

vvv I thought it was a 1 year policy, hm I'll re-read it.

Technically they say that its a year return policy now but I bet that if you go in they will probably do it for you even if its a few days "late".

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
You're going to return a used tent that has nothing wrong with it because you want to upgrade without losing money? You realize you're the reason they had to change the policy, right?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is it weird to be apprehensive about hiking alone because of bears?

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

WYA posted:

Is it weird to be apprehensive about hiking alone because of bears?

There are a multitude of good reasons to be apprehensive about hiking alone, and the threat of bears is one of them.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I hike alone and I am apprehensive of bears.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I hike alone all the time. There's nothing to be afraid of.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I came face to face with a black bear hiking alone and wasn't scared. Even when it approached me, I just sternly told it get back; it stopped advancing and went back to eating berries. I went camping alone in grizzly country at the end of berry season. It was a major wildlife corridor with cougar stalking and attacks in the past. I didn't really sleep that night. :sigh: still glad I went, it was beautiful, as well as completely peaceful and serene since a blizzard tore through the area that day and there was no one else around. But all the clumps of snow falling out of the trees sounded like footprints.

Hopefully with more solo experience I'll just get used to it.

Aliass
Dec 25, 2008
Hiking solo can be riskier, but as long as you work to lower them normally its fine. Im just asking beacuse, im from australia so i know bugger all about bears.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Your odds of even seeing a bear aren't all that great to begin with(depending on where you are, but my brother in-law during his through hike of the AT has seen exactly one bear and it was on his last day in the Shenendoah's, which are kind of filthy with bears) so being alone probably isn't much of a difference.

I suppose you might be likely to make more noise to alert them if you're with another person, or you might be more intimidating if there are more of you, but black bears probably aren't going to bother you anyways. Grizzlies...maybe more likely to "bother" you but also probably less likely to see them. Carry bear spray if you're worried.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Today had my first chance to try Polartec Neoshell, and I have to say I was impressed. Moderate to light rain, muggy, 80° F. I was pleased by how breathable the jacket was; I stayed at least as comfortable as I would have with just a wind shirt, but with full waterproofing (and no pit zips). I still sweated, but at 80° and 100% humidity, that was a given during a vigorous walk in any case. But I could feel the fabric breathing, which helped dry the perspiration even while still moving in the rain. The stretch of the fabric gave the hardshell a softshell feel, which was welcome.

I don't know that Neoshell is the game-changer it is marketed as, but I can recommend it for someone looking for a very breathable, but still fully waterproof, shell layer.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Amazon has cheap Beta AR's again:

http://www.amazon.com/Arcteryx-Mens-Beta-AR-Jacket/dp/B005CB7G1I/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1374675104&sr=1-1

Medium Cardinal is $315.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'd say the threats of hiking alone are generally not bear-related. They're more first-aid/medical/rescue related.
So I guess if you end up needing first aid from a bear, you might be sorry you had hiked alone, but that's sort of an indirect consequence of bears.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm doing the John Muir Trail next month, and one of the things I'm not sure about is a jacket. My current outdoors jacket cost maybe $160 at REI. It's two layers: an outer water- & wind-resistant shell and an inner puffy jacket for warmth. I've kind of racked up a significant bill buying ultralight backpacking stuff, so I'm not sure whether to upgrade this one to some sort of fancy softshell. On a similar note, do you think upgrading my inexpensive point-and-shoot camera to one with GPS would be worthwhile?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

How much do you really care about knowing the exact coordinates where you took your photos? I have a ruggedized point and shoot with GPS and the GPS just feels like a pointless gimmick.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Don't care about the specific GPS coordinates, I just want to easily figure out what & where I've shot when I get home.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
gently caress, bear cans are heavy. gently caress bears :mad:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Levitate posted:

gently caress, bear cans are heavy. gently caress bears :mad:

But they're so cute :3:

gently caress humans who have been careless with bears and taught bears that humans carry insanely tasty food.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Is there anything wrong with your current jacket that would warrant upgrading for any reasons other than wanting new gear? Price has nothing to do with performance, so if your jacket keeps you dry and warm when it has to then it doesnt NEED replacing. If its starting to soak through rather than repel, try waterproofing it to see if that helps. I had my mountain hardwear rain shell for the better part of about 5 years and I replaced it when I realized I was having to reapply waterproofing every other time it got wet.

As for GPS cameras, its the sort of thing that if you are already looking at buying a camera and you find yourself constantly taking photos outdoors and putting them to a map then it would be convenient but as far as going out of your way to buy a new camera just for the GPS feature that you might not use, that just seems like burning money on unnecessary stuff.

If you are carrying a gps, just take notes of the coordinates when you take certain photos. If you look at a map after you return, you can probably retrace your route fairly easily and mark your photos pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Verman posted:

Technically they say that its a year return policy now but I bet that if you go in they will probably do it for you even if its a few days "late".

I called and was up front about wanting a bigger tent, and they said it wouldn't be under their satisfaction guarantee. No big deal.

Anyone want to buy a barely used passage 1? :v: