Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

poemdexter posted:

my buddy gets stuck in a rut because he never tries to code, he just wants to read about how to be a good coder

its me im ur buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

tef posted:

maybe instead of learning language tricks and linear algebra you could pick up a library like pygame, or http://kivy.org/ or open frameworks, or supercollider, or erlang.

it can be useful to learn about nicer ways to write code later on, but most of them are just shorter ways of writing the same dumb code you would write anyway, so just write the dumb code and worry later.

thanks again~

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Werthog 95 posted:

its me im ur buddy

hey, we're all buddies here. please code more

if you're reading rss feeds about how some guy solved a thing with his neato algorithm, you're not helping yourself unless it's EXTREMELY related to your current field/project.

edit: also any time you stop and think "oh man, i have to refactor this else it'll be slow" just don't worry about it. 1% of the time it'll actually matter and 99% of the time you'll never finish your project enough where it could ever possibly matter anyway.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 23, 2013

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i wanna make a rave color based disco ball visualization that responds to whatever program is playing music what is the best way to do this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
connect your limbs to physical switches attached to lights
become an alcoholic
and go into withdrawl

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

poemdexter posted:

hey, we're all buddies here. please code more

if you're reading rss feeds about how some guy solved a thing with his neato algorithm, you're not helping yourself unless it's EXTREMELY related to your current field/project.

edit: also any time you stop and think "oh man, i have to refactor this else it'll be slow" just don't worry about it. 1% of the time it'll actually matter and 99% of the time you'll never finish your project enough where it could ever possibly matter anyway.

yeah i realized this a short while ago

a guy at my last job used to give lectures on good software engineering practices and i'd always stop and chat with him for like a half hour every time i ran into him in the breakroom

then a friend of mine joined his project and discovered the guy was completely full of poo poo, hardly did any work, threw together fake demos for his presentations

i mean obviously reading stuff's worthwhile (just got my smart dog book) but i forget all that poo poo if i don't use it

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Werthog 95 posted:

i mean obviously reading stuff's worthwhile (just got my smart dog book) but i forget all that poo poo if i don't use it

this is the one weirde tip that keeps devs employed and happy

i just got done reading Masters of Doom about j. romero and j. carmack. i'm about to dive into The Art of Game Design. half the fun of reading a book to me is getting inspired to go out and code something.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
I need to code more in different languages bc my knowledge of anything outside c++ is pretty shallow. Like I made a post in the python thread and got schooled by tef in the span of two minutes

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Jerry SanDisky posted:

Like I made a post and got schooled by tef in the span of two minutes

welcome to yospos

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

hubris.height posted:

i wanna make a rave color based disco ball visualization that responds to whatever program is playing music what is the best way to do this

rather than all programs, pick one. most mp3 players have a visualization plugin and tutorials on how to play it.

Uno_king
Jun 21, 2004

<humorous/insulting caption>

Werthog 95 posted:

a guy at my last job used to give lectures on good software engineering practices and i'd always stop and chat with him for like a half hour every time i ran into him in the breakroom

then a friend of mine joined his project and discovered the guy was completely full of poo poo, hardly did any work, threw together fake demos for his presentations

Isn't that the definition of teaching? Saying and not doing?

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

hubris.height posted:

you can do this with openframeworks, the hardest part is getting the audio, on mac you can use soundflower and just read from the soundflower device.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Werthog 95 posted:

this really got on my nerves as a undergrad, because i used to burn whole weeks on poo poo like Concrete Mathematics or misner, wheeler & thorne or artin's Algebra, for funsies. then three months later id have forgotten it all, despite having done all the fukkin exercises.

came up with a solution in senior year:

http://ankisrs.net

every bit of information i read in senior year went on an anki flashcard. there were like 3,000 of them by the end, and id sit down every night and pile through the ones it said i hadn't seen in a while (usually less than 50 'cause of the exponential falloff associated w/ recall).

owned my finals thanks to it, but unfortunately i stopped last october b/c i was crazy-busy. mistake. i've forgotten it all :( started again this week though, and The Algorithm Design Manual is now being digested into bitesize chunks

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 24, 2013

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
thanks tef and unixbeard

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
right now i am punishing myself extremely hard by working as many hours as i can on a burp and fart game. i try to wake up early so i can start my day job early, and so go home early. i then do chores and stuff and hang out with honkwife until about 8pm, then i work on my project til 12am or maybe a bit more. it's extremely difficult, i've given up booze completely and that has helped my energy levels. i also get out of the office when i can during the day and spend a good 30 minutes walking briskly by the seashore. basically i am digging my digital escape tunnel

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Dr. Honked posted:

right now i am punishing myself extremely hard by working as many hours as i can on a burp and fart game. i try to wake up early so i can start my day job early, and so go home early. i then do chores and stuff and hang out with honkwife until about 8pm, then i work on my project til 12am or maybe a bit more. it's extremely difficult, i've given up booze completely and that has helped my energy levels. i also get out of the office when i can during the day and spend a good 30 minutes walking briskly by the seashore. basically i am digging my digital escape tunnel

this is pretty much me minus the seashore walks, add a single crown and coke, and my game is about murdering children on an organ transplant waiting list that are ahead of your child.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

my hobby is poking at this weird scab i got from sliding into second at a company softball game

i don't play softball anymore

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

poemdexter posted:

this is pretty much me minus the seashore walks, add a single crown and coke, and my game is about murdering children on an organ transplant waiting list that are ahead of your child.

the main game that i am involved with in my day job currently has a quest where one of the characters stares at his own shoelaces for thirty six hours real time

i am not joking

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

finally done using only stuff i could find in the EE lab i work in which made it more fun imo. i think ill make another one and not break half the ribs this time

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

sat. posted:

finally done using only stuff i could find in the EE lab i work in which made it more fun imo. i think ill make another one and not break half the ribs this time

the lil fella looks a bit hungry

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dr. Honked posted:

are you still at ea?

christ

I like making games but I can't imagine making games as a day job and as a hobby; especially if the day job is at electronic "CRUNCH TIME!" arts

Dr. Honked posted:

the main game that i am involved with in my day job currently has a quest where one of the characters stares at his own shoelaces for thirty six hours real time

i am not joking

gently caress

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
currently ripping my entire DVD collection to my HDD and encoding them all to semi-decent x264 mkvs to store on an external drive because it's easier to carry an external hdd rather than a binder full of DVDs

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

Dr. Honked posted:

the lil fella looks a bit hungry

its ok hes a model

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i'm organizing all my semi-useful, non-work specific sql server scripts. i'm going to throw them in a github repo because i have a lot of useful poo poo i'm just hoarding in my scripts directory.

about_face posted:

currently ripping my entire DVD collection to my HDD and encoding them all to semi-decent x264 mkvs to store on an external drive because it's easier to carry an external hdd rather than a binder full of DVDs

i did this too but it's just all on my time capsule. now that i reinstalled my desktop pc need to setup itunes (or maybe plex?) and move it all there. might as well start now, thanks for reminding me i guess :cool:

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

poemdexter posted:

I'm learning unity and trying to make a coop networked rogue legacy clone. Also, unity + futile is a great jump away from XNA and a small jump away from pure unity. Also, monogame is still missing a nice asset pipeline. Also, I spoke to one of the contributors to monogame and he doesn't know when asset pipeline is coming. Just make the jump to unity already and enjoy multiplatform builds. :getin:

how is futile? i saw it a few months ago, and i loved the description but when i got to "It's in development and completely undocumented... but it works." i closed the tab and never looked at it again. especially since i know approx zero about unity.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
im in the process of learning powershell (lol) and today i hacked together a script that drainstops and reboots each node in a NLB cluster one at a time after disabling monitoring and then when its done it should reenable monitoring again. the hardest part was figuring out how to make powershell play nice with the : character. ended up doing this

code:
cmd.exe /c "wlbs drainstop $($Clustername):$($Servername)"
lol

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

spongeh posted:

how is futile? i saw it a few months ago, and i loved the description but when i got to "It's in development and completely undocumented... but it works." i closed the tab and never looked at it again. especially since i know approx zero about unity.

have you touched XNA before? it's like that in:

1. you never touch unity UI except to move your sprites in and hit play occasionally.
2. you write a bunch of C# and that's it.

it trumps XNA because you don't need to define a crazy draw method and such. it's true that it's completely undocumented HOWEVER the reddit thread is heavily moderated by the developer and he's super quick to answer questions. as long as you are doing simple 2D stuff and don't mine implementing your own movement and physics, you'll be fine. if you want to do a little more serious 2D games with physics and input handled for you by unity, try 2dtoolkit. it's documented well, support forums are well maintained, and you get to harness a lot more of the unity power.

if you've ever written any game code ever in any language ever, you don't need futile docs. also, you can watch the 10 minute and hour long videos on his page and just rip code out of that since it's an example project and who doesn't love tearing through an existing project to see how everything works!?!?!? (i love this part of trying new libs and engines).

there's a guy in the sagamedev IRC channel that's barely got a basic grasp of OOP and he's doing just fine with futile.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
i've used flixel and cocos in the past, but i'd rather use js than c# (and it seems js is kind of second class in a lot of unity stuff) and i've noticed a lot of really poor/outdated resources about unity so i didn't want to put in a lot of time only to figure out it sucks. i liked the level of abstraction it seemed to be at.

i ended up going with c and SDL 2, which finally modernizes a lot of their api and uses the gpu. of course i'm going to barely get anywhere with any language/framework i use, unity or not. sdl2 isnt one click but it does run on win/mac/lin/ios/android

World z0r Z
May 26, 2013

Tori CMOS posted:

My hobby is posting

this but im not passionate about it anymore and anyone these days can make gifs so

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Do you have a new passion?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

are you still at ea?

christ

I like making games but I can't imagine making games as a day job and as a hobby; especially if the day job is at electronic "CRUNCH TIME!" arts

working on your own game alone is very different than working on a large game in a team

on your own game you are free to do what you want at your own pace + you do a bit of everything compared to you more specialized role at your day job game (esp if its a big project) so it doesn't really feel redundant

as long as you don't work for an horrible soul sucking company doing both is ok. Playing around with game coding at home works for me at least even though I never finish my personal projects

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

DaTroof posted:

dove back into hobby game programming a few months ago. wrote a base adventure game engine and extended it to support 2.5d multiplayer. server written in ruby, client in java

major bottleneck: i am not an illustrator

Les trade places: I suck at p langs but I am ok at drawing but anyone can learn to draw

I really want to make game which is why I started reading the yos because of Dev stories from Honked and co.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Zlodo posted:

working on your own game alone is very different than working on a large game in a team

on your own game you are free to do what you want at your own pace + you do a bit of everything compared to you more specialized role at your day job game (esp if its a big project) so it doesn't really feel redundant

as long as you don't work for an horrible soul sucking company doing both is ok. Playing around with game coding at home works for me at least even though I never finish my personal projects

this.

my home project involves a small team - designer/artist/coder. if you have the right chemistry with your buds then that can work a lot better than working completely solo. that's not particularly easy to find in my experience, though

in my day job, i work on really abstract stuff such as performance optimisation, and i'm a tiny cog in a huge machine, so the two projects feel really different. also ea are actively anti-crunch these days, strange as it may seem. they have two lists of mantras, one for all employees, and a separate, additional one for the management track. one of the management mantras is BE HUMAN FIRST. this means that the robotic management overlords have to consider the needs of the pathetic, repulsive flesh creatures that work below them, and not work them completely to death.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. Honked posted:

one of the management mantras is BE HUMAN FIRST.
loving anti-cyborg/mechanoid fascists. makes me sick

(though with how well they're doing on ios i guess it's no surprise that they'd be prejudiced against androids :v:)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

tef posted:

:siren: HEY GUESS WHAT, MOST PEOPLE THINK THIS :siren:

when you learn more you can see further and realise how alone you are

YOU ARE IN A WORLD OF POSSIBILITIES, BUT YOU ARE FEELING SADFACE FOR
SOME UNSUBSTANTIATED EXISTENTIALISM AND A CRUSHING AMOUNT OF SELF WORTH

> check inventory

YOU HAVE A COLLECTION OF FUTILE APHORISMS

- PERFECT IS THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD
- HINDSIGHT IS 20/20
- SOMETIMES THE FIRST STEP TO BEING GOOD AT SOMETHING IS BEING LESS BAD

> feel ok

YOU STOP MAKING A SAD FACE AND IMAGINE YOU ARE PETTING A CATTE

it's ok, just abandon it and do something else. if you work on one thing for all of your life, you may end up like ted nelson.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

sat. posted:

its ok hes a model

lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

managers at ea require an edict from on high to remind them to act like human beings. christ

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Werthog 95 posted:

managers at ea require an edict from on high to remind them to act like human beings. christ

cant have any whistleblowing EA Wives anymore

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
ea gave her a jorb iirc

in the recycling vats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

my thing generates flashcards from foreign language fb and twitter posts

gotta figure out a better way to represent the dictionaries im using (60MB xml doc which takes 2 minutes to read off disk, probably a DB or a serialized object or something, cue someone who does this for a living laughing out loud)