Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

KataraniSword posted:

There's a few mentions of Okuu and Orin being only the tip of the iceberg, that Satori's practically got a menagerie of various animals in Chireiden.

And you've actually summed up half of why Satori has sealed herself underground! It's a mutual hatred; while she's feared for her powers, she's also come to dislike creatures that try to hide their feelings and thoughts behind lies and half-truths. She's much more comfortable around creatures that don't really act on ulterior motives, such as animals.

It kind of makes me wonder if she's being hyppocritical to some extent. I'm not going to say that was she may or may not have experienced with other people, their reactions towards her, and their thoughts was something that gives her a break from being hyppocritical - but, doesn't she, herself, do the exact same? As in also having ulterior motives and secret thoughts and such? Sure, she's not exactly human, but I think I can assume that a Satori would have the same thoughts, desires, ways of thinking, &c. that humans do with the added "benefit" of their third eye. So, in that case, I see it as being something like, "Man, I really hate all these other people because of how they are on the inside when I, too a lesser extent, am the same." But at this point I'm just making really :v: guesses as to how she is because I see her as a human with the same flaws rather than a Satori. That's really what all the Youkai are - personification of humans in a different form, right?

DrSunshine posted:

Nitori invented the Universal Translator. :v:

That would explain a lot about the quality of the translations. A bit too much. I think it might be shaped like a cucumber, infact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

They're all still monsters and most actually still eat humans so no, they're not "personifications of humans", whatever that means.

Basically they just look like little girls because little girls are super-marketable to creepy dudes in indie circles, sorry to burst the bubble for you.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

They're all still monsters and most actually still eat humans so no, they're not "personifications of humans", whatever that means.

Basically they just look like little girls because little girls are super-marketable to creepy dudes in indie circles, sorry to burst the bubble for you.

I'm sure I was just making things up at that point when trying to come up with things for how Satori is. I shouldn't look too deep into flying anime girls created by a Japanese man who drinks too much booze. Words to live by. But, then again, I was referring to the Youkai of Japanese lore rather than the actual ones in the series. Why do we create monsters the way we do in our folktales? What does it tell about ourselves? A conversation for another place and people smarter than I. But then again, cute anime girls.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 17, 2013

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Kheldragar posted:

I'm sure I was just making things up at that point when trying to come up with things for how Satori is. I shouldn't look too deep into flying anime girls created by a Japanese man who drinks too much booze. Words to live by. But, then again, I was referring to the Youkai of Japanese lore rather than the actual ones in the series. Why do we create monsters the way we do in our folktales? What does it tell about ourselves? A conversation for another place and people smarter than I. But then again, cute anime girls.

If you want to talk about actual folklore, Japanese or otherwise, I'm pretty sure there's multiple threads in other forums, and there might still be that one about Asian/Japanese mythology in particular somewhere in ADTRW itself!

edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3491291 Here it is if you have archives!

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 17, 2013

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Yeah, pretty much everything in Touhou is derived from some mythological thing or another. Japan has a lot of weird mythological monsters/beings to pull from, so I doubt ZUN is gonna run out anytime soon.

If not he can always start stealing Western ones. Greek god touhous... why did I just imagine that?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah maybe in the next game ZUN will use mermaids and Dullahans and werewolves, wouldn't that be kinda funny.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Bluh, every single game after Mountain of Faith I've pretty much despised even though my favourite character does come from SA. Even though Ten Desires kind of fixed my whole problem with the new continue system and bombs being linked to your power, there's something about the "new" art style and just the way the games are presented that prevents me from liking them as much as 2 through 9 (PCB will always have a favourite place in my heart because it's the first game I ever beat). Also, from the fact that I'm a bit too lazy to look up information, is why I'm still pretty much in the dark about the new game. I've seen the Dullahan character once, and the thought that comes my mind is, "Wait? This is a Touhou character?! She's doesn't even look like one! Pass." Every game that's come out since I became a fan, which is two, has basically had characters that I've not considered to be part of the series. I wonder if it's like that for everyone with every game. Ten Desires characters are beginning to grow on me a little, though.

vvv In a completely Japanese style house, no less.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 17, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah, pretty much everything in Touhou is derived from some mythological thing or another. Japan has a lot of weird mythological monsters/beings to pull from, so I doubt ZUN is gonna run out anytime soon.

If not he can always start stealing Western ones. Greek god touhous... why did I just imagine that?

Yeah it's not like the first modern Touhou game featured a classical European vampire as a final boss or anything.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
HM got another patch. Kokoro is still not finished, but there's a ridiculous amount of patch notes so maybe the rest of the cast is now?

EDIT: Okay, I can only speak for Miko but here's what's new:

1. AAA 2A now does floorslam.
2. Flamethrower was buffed. Feels like it's easier to land all the hits now.
3. Teleport [Forward] goes further, Teleport [Down] sends you under the opponent.
4. Divine Spirit skill is a two-phase (homing) attack while Miko's cape is red. Or maybe it was always like that, I don't remember.
5. Popularity buff now does an attack if you use it while the blue spirit is out. Previously doing that would have just replaced the first blue spirit with a new one
5. Shinto Miko's weak bullet now fires in a spread.
6. Orb Super is now aimed. Before it just headed diagonally up.
7. Beam Super now juggles the enemy, so it's not completely loving useless even if it does hit.

System wise, text pops up on the side of the screen to tell you how much popularity you got and the popularity wheel is a little more animated now.

EDIT 2: Oh wait, somebody on shrine maiden just straight up translated the patch notes. That's easier.

EDIT 3: Holy poo poo the netcode isn't rear end anymore. I just had a stable USA > Germany match and an only somewhat spotty USA > Australia match, this is great. Combined with the rebalancing, and I'd say that HM just got a billion times better.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 17, 2013

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
No more Nitori combos for days. That's a lot of nerfs. Though it looks like some of her moves have increased damage, but also increased spirit cost. That might make her neutral game stronger, but I wonder how good Nitori will be now that she no longer makes you think, "Oh god, if she touches me there goes half my health" at any time from anywhere on the screen.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
And apparently Kokoro has skills now: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm21375708

:woop:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Kheldragar posted:

Bluh, every single game after Mountain of Faith I've pretty much despised even though my favourite character does come from SA. Even though Ten Desires kind of fixed my whole problem with the new continue system and bombs being linked to your power, there's something about the "new" art style and just the way the games are presented that prevents me from liking them as much as 2 through 9 (PCB will always have a favourite place in my heart because it's the first game I ever beat). Also, from the fact that I'm a bit too lazy to look up information, is why I'm still pretty much in the dark about the new game. I've seen the Dullahan character once, and the thought that comes my mind is, "Wait? This is a Touhou character?! She's doesn't even look like one! Pass." Every game that's come out since I became a fan, which is two, has basically had characters that I've not considered to be part of the series. I wonder if it's like that for everyone with every game. Ten Desires characters are beginning to grow on me a little, though.

vvv In a completely Japanese style house, no less.

Wait, you like the ESOD/PCB art better than that from other games?

This is worse than ?

I mean, I most of my favorite characters are from the earlier games, but the newer ones are still good games with good character designs!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

This is worse than ?

I mean, I most of my favorite characters are from the earlier games, but the newer ones are still good games with good character designs!

Yeah, I actually do; there's also IN. I just think that the art of the later games makes them more like flesh-tube people than in the games before. Not to say that the actual fan-made character derivations from ZUN's original aren't that great for later ones (Which, by later, I mean after Ten Desires where the game-style changed yet again.), because they are still excellent. Miko from Ten Desires still has it in my book as a great looking character even though I thought she was Nazrin for the longest time when I didn't know any Ten Desires characters.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Elliotw2 posted:

This is worse than ?

Why did you choose Meiling's portrait over the glory of EoSD Sakuya when comparing a portrait of Sakuya???

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Takoluka posted:

Why did you choose Meiling's portrait over the glory of EoSD Sakuya when comparing a portrait of Sakuya???

...I assume he couldn't properly comprehend the true glory of EoSD Sakuya.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Yeah maybe in the next game ZUN will use mermaids and Dullahans and werewolves, wouldn't that be kinda funny.

I can't remember, but isn't it implied there are other places like Gensokyo, just for other lands and cultures?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

JackMackerel posted:

I can't remember, but isn't it implied there are other places like Gensokyo, just for other lands and cultures?

I don't think it's ever actually implied but it's not an uncommon theory. The Lunar Capital is also explicitly "another Gensokyo" on the moon in terms of how its barrier works, but of course that's based on Japanese mythology too.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Renko and Maribel visit Gensokyo-like places. But there's really only one that has an abundance of drunk girls in silly hats.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Like Clarste said, it's never been implied per sé that other Gensokyo-like places exists, but Western monsters have shown up in the official works before. Other than Remilia being a Western vampire, there's been kobolds in Wild and Horned Hermit and Chupacabres in Forbidden Scrollery. So barring an unforeseen plot twist where Japan is apparently the only place without free-roaming monsters, it's not really unreasonable to assume other cultures have their own fantasy havens.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment
I've discovered that I really like making long Touhou music compilations for Youtube. I recently finished my second one, which is all soothing vocals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQzkZ95UNb0

And here's the first video I made, which is forty minutes of soothing Touhou instrumental music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-CN5r48Z0A

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
If you're not looking for soothing, why not try something a little different? Here's some electronic German touhou:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFzvxuRNPWQ

You also don't have to bend over backwards in order to get their stuff! They've got a few albums up on bandcamp, all of which are pay what you want including free. There's actually a decent selection on the touhou tag and a couple more on the toho tag. Haven't listened to any of 'em but you might find something you like there.

Edit: Listening to the linked video's album, and I'd definitely recommend checking out Lonely Nightmare/Necrofantasia (vocalist mostly covers of other songs) and Invisible Observer/Satori Maiden ~ 3rd Eye (vocalist Again, mostly just covers).

Onean fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 20, 2013

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
:neckbeard:

e: momiji :lol:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Not pictured: Mediator screaming while running away.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I think this brings the fanart count for the Mystic Square stage 1 midboss to... three? four?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

That whole picture is a treasure trove of awesome moments but the giant robot vs doll geekoff between Sanae and Alice is jsut pure :kimchi:.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I loved how they included PC-98 characters and especially Sariel. Characters from back then just don't get as much love, it feels.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

I loved how they included PC-98 characters and especially Sariel. Characters from back then just don't get as much love, it feels.

That's because they don't get much love from ZUN either. He basically ignores them and acts like they don't exist, for example when he does worldbuilding. While it's never been entirely clear whether the Windows games rebooted the continuity entirely or not, that's certainly the most straightforward way to look at it. Honestly I'm kind of surprised that the PC-98 characters as popular as they are, although I've always assumed that was mostly people being hipsters.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I like them myself, aside from all HRTP characters besides Reimu and Sairel, yet hardly know that much about each one of them and still have a hard time reciting their names just because they're not represented as much in the fan community. Even though I like them, I still don't know them all, even now. I do like the PC-98 games a lot, though - to the point that my favourite game in the entire series is actually Mystic Square. Even though Shinki pisses me off with her curvy lasers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

yet hardly know that much about each one of them

That's because there's not much to know. ZUN hadn't yet started writing large character profiles in the manual, and their dialog is even weirder and more generic than the rest of the games. They've never been covered by side materials or official comics in any fashion, so compared to the rest of the cast they're completely blank slates. Which is saying something, considering how "blank slate" the entire series is in the first place.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
I still get lost whenever you guys start going on about Moon rabbits, Toyohime, the events of some side book or whatever.

That said. Satori owns: http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/473990?pool_id=6930

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Clarste posted:

That's because there's not much to know. ZUN hadn't yet started writing large character profiles in the manual, and their dialog is even weirder and more generic than the rest of the games. They've never been covered by side materials or official comics in any fashion, so compared to the rest of the cast they're completely blank slates. Which is saying something, considering how "blank slate" the entire series is in the first place.

Well, when I say "know" a character, I'm at least referring to one or two things about them oficially (I doubt some of them even have that in the PC-98 era) and the rest of it is up to however the fandom decided to treat them. Even though there's not much for any of the characters anyways, I still find it a travesty that I haven't even learnt their names - I don't go about it consciously, I just learn it passively as I go through more fan-stuff. Which I haven't done in a long time, I'll admit.

Yes, Satori does own, and that face makes it all the better.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Touhou 14's cover has been revealed:

Can't find a bigger image. That silhouette is even weirder than usual. I guess I can see feet and a thumbs up?

Also Tasofro is selling HM/13.5's OST for C84, which apparently has some music that has yet to be patched into the game. I never realized how incomplete it really was.
The cover's pretty weird though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Gonna beat all the witty sarcastic predictions to the punch and say that I think it's a girl, guys!!!

I'm honestly eagerly awaiting the final version of DDC. ZUN could do some really cool things with the concept of possessed weapons (man I hope he brings back dynamic stage 4 bosses), and the music I've heard so far has been great.

Also I have no idea what other songs TasoFro could add to the game. Stage themes for the player characters? Legacy tracks from IaMP/HT?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Gonna beat all the witty sarcastic predictions to the punch and say that I think it's a girl, guys!!!

I'm honestly eagerly awaiting the final version of DDC. ZUN could do some really cool things with the concept of possessed weapons (man I hope he brings back dynamic stage 4 bosses), and the music I've heard so far has been great.

Also I have no idea what other songs TasoFro could add to the game. Stage themes for the player characters? Legacy tracks from IaMP/HT?

Rock remix of Cosmic Mind.

Edit: And an arrange of Last Remote instead of HYG.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

That silhouette looks an awful lot like Mima...not even joking here.

e: I don't see feet but I find it hard to make out much of anything at all on a picture that tiny and busy. I just see a ghostly(?) figure *shrug*

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 24, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It has a child's proportions (might be Zun art tho') and I swear I see an upside down smiley face.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It also has feet.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
All I see is a happy yukkuri face at the bottom right.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's not mima. Let her go guys. It's over. RIP Mima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Namtab posted:

It's not mima. Let her go guys. It's over. RIP Mima.

I'll never believe that Mima is dead; I'll keep listening to Reincarnation over and over again until she comes back.